Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doomsayer posted:

Ah, is that why the first level looks so godawful and washed-out? I booted it up just to make sure it worked, and it looked like someone left fullbright on for the map.

The washed out look is the remastered graphics. Press Tab to go back.

The messed up shaders I think is just things like covenant shields not looking right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Doomsayer posted:

Ah, is that why the first level looks so godawful and washed-out? I booted it up just to make sure it worked, and it looked like someone left fullbright on for the map.

Yeah, Gearbox broke the bumpmapping and now it only works on dynamic light sources like the flashlight and not the environmental light sources like in the original Xbox version. This hasn’t been fixed because it requires rebaking all the light maps in each level.

The other big issue is that the transparency shaders were broken by gearbox, which affects things like glass, jackal shields, covenant dropships and such. Though modders have fixed this one so maybe 3v4i will fix this as well? (I’m not holding my breath on this one tbqh.)

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Lunethex posted:

Well, at least they started with it first. It'd have been the wettest fart to end the staggered releases on. Can't wait to see Halo 2 and especially 3, but Halo: CE is gonna be good mindless fun for a while. Too bad there's no Firefight-like mode for it though, that'd own.

They're ending with Halo 4, so we're going to get that wet fart anyway :haw:

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I'm actually having audio issues in CE:A whereas I didn't have any in reach. There is mostly no music during campaign and cutscene, although it will randomly kick in for short bursts occasionally.

I do really like the remastered graphics, and being able to toggle them on the fly is cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Try playing with the classic soundtrack, its better than the remaster anyways

(you can set classic soundtrack even if you use remastered visuals)

the remaster of the main theme fucks it up and drops a note on the main rhythm and it completely ruins it IMO

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Campaign achievements seem to be screwy: I've just taken off zig from the Autumn, and it unlocked Truth and Reconciliation (i.e. III). I and II remain locked.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone having problems with people just disappearing from matches? It really sucks on modes like CTF

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Zaphod42 posted:

the remaster of the main theme fucks it up and drops a note on the main rhythm and it completely ruins it IMO

I see the toggle for changing the audio in MP, is there one for campaign somewhere also? My issue is no music at all for stretches.

spincube posted:

Campaign achievements seem to be screwy: I've just taken off zig from the Autumn, and it unlocked Truth and Reconciliation (i.e. III). I and II remain locked.

Same for me. Halo (level II) unlocked Silent Cartographer, so maybe it'll loop around eventually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I see the toggle for changing the audio in MP, is there one for campaign somewhere also? My issue is no music at all for stretches.

When you launch campaign its one of the settings it asks you

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Is it just me or are the hit-boxes not matching the graphic with the updated graphics.

My only real complaint about the remastered graphics are the elite shields not being visible when you shoot them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how totally useless the flamethrower is lmao

Halo PC was one of the first games I really got into in multi, it's real satisfying playing it again

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Tythas posted:

Is it just me or are the hit-boxes not matching the graphic with the updated graphics.

My only real complaint about the remastered graphics are the elite shields not being visible when you shoot them

In CE? Seems fine to me. The hitboxes on Skirmishers in Reach are completely broken though. That, coupled with the terrible spread mechanics, makes for an extremely frustrating time. Way too often I'll be firing close range at something and it's not doing anything, and the cursor's red. Can't get headshots when landing actual headshots but in other whack scenarios I'm killing them from behind in one shot when I can't even see more than a few dreadlocks.

Quite frankly the whole game seems worse off after the CE update, just in small technical ways. It screws with my nvidia panel gamma after exiting a game, just once though. All the multiplayer UI menus are totally stretched in-game, like the loadout and score card, when they were fine before.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dang the maps in halo 1 owned

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It's nut to me how bad the "remastered" version looks, like I had to double check my video settings to make sure. I also don't remember Reach looking this awful, I'm not sure how they hosed up the customization UI so bad.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Halo: The Master Chief Collection: I'm not sure how they hosed up so bad

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As someone who has never owned an Xbox (and never will, gently caress that system) I am glad to have Halo on PC finally (not counting the first two games's original release I never played) and I can play them and so far, aside from the sound issues in Reach, I'm enjoying them a fair bit. They're definitely not nearly as interesting gameplay-wise as even OG Doom or Quake to me, but they're fun in their own way.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

i installed OG Halo CE PC version and something with the MCC version hitbox or aim wise is very fucky nut I'm not sure what it is, in the OG version i can headshot with the the AR easy but i can't do that in the remastered version

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Tythas posted:

i installed OG Halo CE PC version and something with the MCC version hitbox or aim wise is very fucky nut I'm not sure what it is, in the OG version i can headshot with the the AR easy but i can't do that in the remastered version

Yeah there's comments like this all over the forums.

Along with a deluge of people all questioning each other's sanity when it comes to remembering the nuances of this game.

i.e people say the AR was nerfed for PC (even before MCC) from the xbox original.

I do, however, believe that the game's uncapped framerate is causing other issues like was stated here and there. i.e the reticule spreads faster than it should, AI gets more aggressive (think OG Xcom), messes with stuff in general.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 6, 2020

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Multiplayer basically has to be played with a controller right? I've tried mouse and keyboard but the aim assist is so unbelievably strong that you can constantly 3 shot people with the pistol using a xbox controller. I mean, that's how I remember halo, but I figured mouse and keyboard would be fun and it's not at all.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I've been playing with m+kb and I feel like I've been doing better on CE than I was doing on Reach. Though this might be because I was playing Reach like once a week during the period where only the really dedicated were playing Reach so I generally sucked while now I'm playing against people who only came onboard or came back for CE and I'm a bit more tuned up.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Yeah there's comments like this all over the forums.

Along with a deluge of people all questioning each other's sanity when it comes to remembering the nuances of this game.

i.e people say the AR was nerfed for PC (even before MCC) from the xbox original.

I do, however, believe that the game's uncapped framerate is causing other issues like was stated here and there. i.e the reticule spreads faster than it should, AI gets more aggressive (think OG Xcom), messes with stuff in general.

I think I mentioned it before but the plasma pistol cooldown and fire-rate is glitched, maybe due to frames?

But yes, the AR accuracy was made worse by Gearbox for some reason. It was a big thing me and my friends noticed way back in the day moving to PC from Xbox. It's now worthless in Campaign above normal difficulty, and pointless in MP unless you get jumped while spawning and don't have time to swap to pistol.

Also, people talking about hitboxes- think of Anniversary graphics as sitting on top of the existing ones. There are ledges, tree leaves (these are static and will explode rockets and kill you), rocks ect that don't conform 1:1 with the original graphics, which the game still runs on practically. This goes for the enemy designs too- some of the new elite helmets extend beyond the "actual" head hitbox. It's not always apparent but you do start to notice it, especially from the front/above angle.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_DfCFHOD9E or bust

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I think I've read you posting about this another time, but didn't have any luck digging up an article (then or now), do you have anything more specific about this?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Carnaticum posted:

I think I mentioned it before but the plasma pistol cooldown and fire-rate is glitched, maybe due to frames?

But yes, the AR accuracy was made worse by Gearbox for some reason. It was a big thing me and my friends noticed way back in the day moving to PC from Xbox. It's now worthless in Campaign above normal difficulty, and pointless in MP unless you get jumped while spawning and don't have time to swap to pistol.

Also, people talking about hitboxes- think of Anniversary graphics as sitting on top of the existing ones. There are ledges, tree leaves (these are static and will explode rockets and kill you), rocks ect that don't conform 1:1 with the original graphics, which the game still runs on practically. This goes for the enemy designs too- some of the new elite helmets extend beyond the "actual" head hitbox. It's not always apparent but you do start to notice it, especially from the front/above angle.

poo poo, the thing about graphics would explain a lot. Maybe I'll try playing Original Graphics on the games and see how well I do versus remastered. I did notice that by swapping from Original to Remaster in CE that a lot of things were smaller. The assault rifle is actually bigger in the remaster.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

On of the good things about 343 working on Halo PC again is they can re adjust the accuracy for the AR

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tythas posted:

On of the good things about 343 working on Halo PC again is they can re adjust the accuracy for the AR

"Can", not "will"

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What FOV setting you guys have? I have been using the default but I think it's been causing me some light headaches that I never had before playing Halo. Maybe I am getting old :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

I think I've read you posting about this another time, but didn't have any luck digging up an article (then or now), do you have anything more specific about this?

Its a minor thing, but its key to the main rhythm of the halo theme. Basically the original recording had it more Staccato, where the remaster is more slurred, so that there's little to no emphasis on one middle note, or its completely omitted. Its minor but it irks me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jXTBAGv9ZQ&t=43s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhogSnCHe0&t=45s

You hear the massive difference in style?

Its something that's common in remasters, to change up the playing style. They think they're making it fancier but they're actually loving it up.

Its hard to put musical notation on forums ascii, but its supposed to be like A B A B C D and instead they play A B | B C D replacing a note with a rest.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 6, 2020

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Big Scary Owl posted:

What FOV setting you guys have? I have been using the default but I think it's been causing me some light headaches that I never had before playing Halo. Maybe I am getting old :smith:

I think I settled around 105. Higher felt too wide and the default is waaaaay too narrow for a PC game.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I think the default is like 70 for sitting ten feet away on a couch

generally for a 16:10 monitor you want like 100

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
There was a tiny update today, and I went to go play and some of my buttons are not working properly now. Anyone else get this? (Halo 1) I have switch weapons on Q and it's... finicky at best, and zoom (like for the pistol) on Mouse 3 (my mousewheel button) and it is in turbo mode for some reason. I played last night and it was fine :(

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Odd posted:

There was a tiny update today, and I went to go play and some of my buttons are not working properly now. Anyone else get this? (Halo 1) I have switch weapons on Q and it's... finicky at best, and zoom (like for the pistol) on Mouse 3 (my mousewheel button) and it is in turbo mode for some reason. I played last night and it was fine :(

I have no idea why this worked but doing all my windows updates fixed this. Have a good night everyone, i'm done with logic

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

New update appears to have made the plasma pistol normal again. Found out because I went for the "Leave it Where it Lay" achievement....

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

So it seems a lot of things are different from the OG PC version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=852IXwaDIA8

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Digital Foundry has their tech look up. Basically echos a lot of the complaints seen elsewhere, while the modding community has fixed these interpolation/effects issues, very few (if any) have made it into the MCC, at least in classic mode. Alex overwhelmingly focuses on classic mode in this video, he's apparently in the camp that the remastered visuals lose too much of the 'mood' and as such almost ignores them entirely, albeit I do get that we should probably have the original preserved as close as possible to the OG Xbox version, especially of the modding community was able to do this without access to the source. Still though a few more looks at what was done in the remastered mode would have probably made sense? Dunno I'm not in the "remastered looks like poo poo" camp so ymmv.

My biggest complaint about the remastered visuals is that there's basically no situation where the flashlight is required, it's a little too bright. Otherwise though there's just such a massive leap forward in polygon count, extra light sources that cast shadows, texture detail etc that I never play in classic mode for long. Some faults carry over into both modes mind you, like the animation interpolation problem (plasma shots are most noticeable), but others like the shields changing colour work properly in remastered vs. classic, which you probably wouldn't know from this video.

Sound is def a downgrade compared to EAX mode though. Not nearly as bad as Reach at least.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I had heard about the lighting issues but had also heard they'd been fixed and never really looked into it. Well, glad professionals are on the job :toot:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Combat Evolved Anniversary didn't add anything to the co-op like scoring or skulls, did it? In fact I'm wondering what they added to the multiplayer as a whole since I never got around to it.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Grimthwacker posted:

Combat Evolved Anniversary didn't add anything to the co-op like scoring or skulls, did it? In fact I'm wondering what they added to the multiplayer as a whole since I never got around to it.

The original release of Combat Evolved Anniversary before MCC used reaches multiplayer, this is using OG Halo PC multiplayer. it also has skulls (like bandanna which gives infinite ammo) and scoring

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Halo: CE is freezing every few seconds... the graphics and engine just stops responding and while any buffered sound effects continue to play everything else freezes until the engine keeps responding. It's like the engine freezes. Does so in single and MP.

I have a 9900K and 2080Ti, and the rest of the computer is fine. I am typing this up in a web browser while alt-tabbed and there are no oher freezes or hiccups but the game still pauses every 10 seconds or so.

In Task Manager, my CPU/GPU/i/o is nowhere near pegged. Any ideas?

edit: found some random other forum post indicating HID drivers. Unplugged a gamepad and it's all working normally now. Freaking weird.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm ngl I'm firmly in the camp where I'm glad Anniversary graphics have upped lighting that you don't need to use either Night Vision or the Flashlight, because Halo: CEA came out when the whole flashlight mechanic in games was Half-Life 2-tier terrible (yes I know CE came out roughly 2-3 years before Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 but they are equally worth grumbling about). The less I have to fumble with something that barely illuminates my surroundings the better.