Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

smellmycheese posted:

Interesting tip from Reddit..

PSA: Kill Lieutenants first to decrease the health of other enemies

When groups of enemies spawn, some of them will sometimes be lieutenants who give a health buff to those around them.

You can tell there is a lieutenant around because all of the other enemies will have an extra green health bar. Lieutenants have a double chevron icon and are typically gold or purple. By killing them, it will reduce the health of the other enemies receiving their buff.

Knowing this and exploiting it will make a dramatic difference in your time to kill on groups

I haven’t really understood that green extra health bar so I have just been telling myself they’re the ones hopped up on meth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Apologies if this has been asked recently, but this thread moves pretty quickly: If I just hit level 30, should I progress through all the World Tiers before I jump to NY? Or should I just go to NY since I can come back after I'm done there. I've unlocked specializations (any recommendations there? does it matter?) and Black Tusk dudes have hit DC, so I'm wondering how much there is for me to miss here.

The black tusk does have their own end game plot if you haven't experienced it. Then I would at least do the zoo mission.

If you played Division 1, then the Coney island missions are worth experiencing too. But if you don't care about story then just do whatever you want.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Folks it turns out a 5000% damage DOT while you reload is super loving good and cool.

Pestilence is real fun to go with Strikers (especially against heavies/tanks) and I'm clearing CP4s by myself.

That's good,to hear, the reworked pestilence seemed super strong when I tried it at level 30 before quickly out leveling it. Do you still have to get it in the DZ or will it drop elsewhere now (e.g. as targeted loot)?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

It dropped for me @ 40 outside the DZ. I forget where exactly. So although I am not 100% helpful at least you know you don't have to DZ...

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I found one in the DZ but got ganked by rogues while trying to extract. If I remember correctly, Pestilence was added to the global exotic pool so it wouldn't be DZ-exclusive before the expansion, but any exotic you had at level 30 (except Eagle Bearer) should drop from any enemy at a low drop rate).

Also, for anyone wanting more gear dyes, after you finish the expansion's story then be on the lookout for rogue agents. You can find them in the wild in NYC and during missions. So far I found a squad while roaming NYC and also while doing Capitol Hill on Challenging (against the True Sons), so I'm not sure if they'll show up in non-stronghold missions. They appear to follow the Underground Hunter rule of your squad size + 1 for the number of agents you fight and if your squad doesn't focus fire on one at a time then they'll wreck you. The last one you kill will drop an additional full gear dye (I got crimson for the first squad I eliminated).

Shoren fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 7, 2020

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I played the Bank Mission (invaded) (Warlords of NYC post-game spoiler) and the enemy radio chatter was using the callsigns of the seasonal manhunt targets. Is that new or was that the previous chatter during the invaded mission?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

All that is new.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Apologies if this has been asked recently, but this thread moves pretty quickly: If I just hit level 30, should I progress through all the World Tiers before I jump to NY? Or should I just go to NY since I can come back after I'm done there. I've unlocked specializations (any recommendations there? does it matter?) and Black Tusk dudes have hit DC, so I'm wondering how much there is for me to miss here.

I hit 30 on Thursday and then progressed through all the world tiers to WT5 because i didn’t want to skip anything. I even got my gear score all the way up to 450. It unlocked cool missions like Coney Island when I hit WT5 so that’s worth doing.

Once you go to NYC all of your gear converts to a new system that starts at 30. It changes totally. If you want to head to NYC to check it out, I’d say go for it. I think you can do all of that other stuff later.

That said, to hit WT5 it took me an afternoon so it’s lot too onerous.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Deakul posted:

Suport are troupes.
:911:

And that's why you always leave a note...

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Bullet King is a pretty baller gun imho. With the ammo regen from Gunner, it really has some staying power. Looks like I'm going to farm Petrov gear now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So what's going on with invaded missions? I did the first of three, got spec points from it but now the other 2 are grey (but still invaded) and saying they won't award me with spec points.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Shoren posted:

I found one in the DZ but got ganked by rogues while trying to extract. If I remember correctly, Pestilence was added to the global exotic pool so it wouldn't be DZ-exclusive before the expansion, but any exotic you had at level 30 (except Eagle Bearer) should drop from any enemy at a low drop rate).

Also, for anyone wanting more gear dyes, after you finish the expansion's story then be on the lookout for rogue agents. You can find them in the wild in NYC and during missions. So far I found a squad while roaming NYC and also while doing Capitol Hill on Challenging (against the True Sons), so I'm not sure if they'll show up in non-stronghold missions. They appear to follow the Underground Hunter rule of your squad size + 1 for the number of agents you fight and if your squad doesn't focus fire on one at a time then they'll wreck you. The last one you kill will drop an additional full gear dye (I got crimson for the first squad I eliminated).

Rogue Agents can show up in non-stronghold missions. Had a squad show up in Wall Street and wrecked our group.

Pro-Tip: if enemies don’t spawn where they usually do then rogues are a coming so start getting prepared and lay down some skills while getting in cover. I was half way through asking where is everyone when the smoke dropped on us and about 6 thousand drones and turrets wrecked our poo poo. I was very impressed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
No new DZ is a bummer. GOTY ruined. :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So what's going on with invaded missions? I did the first of three, got spec points from it but now the other 2 are grey (but still invaded) and saying they won't award me with spec points.

That happens to me occasionally but doing them still awards the points, unless the bug got an additional bug and doesn’t now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

jabro posted:

Rogue Agents can show up in non-stronghold missions. Had a squad show up in Wall Street and wrecked our group.

Pro-Tip: if enemies don’t spawn where they usually do then rogues are a coming so start getting prepared and lay down some skills while getting in cover. I was half way through asking where is everyone when the smoke dropped on us and about 6 thousand drones and turrets wrecked our poo poo. I was very impressed.

They can also show up in regular activities. I had two come party at a CP I was clearing and another group show up at a hostage rescue.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

jabro posted:

The amount of HP their skills have is probably the most dangerous part of them. On Capitol Hill, they threw a turret right behind our cover line and it just shredded us because it was still alive after a few mags dumped into it.

And on the point of gear dye, crimson might be the only one they drop, or you need to fight a full group because I solo'd a challenging CP and fought two afterwards but didn't get another dye.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

No new DZ is a bummer. GOTY ruined. :colbert:

An all new NYC dark zone incorporating all the best bits of Div1 and 2 really would be the icing on the cake.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Now that I know that the level 30 booster maxed out all 3 original specialties I kind of wish I had dumped my old character and used the boost, since none of the gear matters. I would not have as much crafting supplied and money probably, but also would have a lot more points in specialties!

Now that I'm level 40 I won't do that, but in retrospect I should have done that.

So my recommendation for new players that are playing through the story, is that once you hit WT5 and have done everything you want to do with the story in DC, and are ready to jump to NYC, start a new character, use a booster and get all your specialties (the 3 starter ones) maxed out with no grinding of points.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Are cosmetics account wide? Don't want to give those up on my level 25 dude.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So, some random thoughts of skills, all at Skill Tier 6: Stinger Hive is weaker because of the smaller radius and the need to physically pick it up to get charges back, but still shreds through enemies. Cluster Seekers seem close to useless now, their damage isn't enough to take down a red enemy, the mobs seem to have gotten incredibly good at Matrix-dodging their way out of their radius, and the cooldown is much harsher. Assault Drone seems to have gotten a buff, it takes yellow enemies a good deal of time to bring them down, they do really solid damage, and their cooldown is only like 20 seconds.

I'm running a variant on my old build, 4 piece Ongoing Directive (including both the chest and the backpack for talents) with a sadist AR and some Fenris piece for +AR damage and, uh, I think 1 Golan piece for +5% armor. Technician for the extra skill tier, I put my spare core attribute into knees I think where I had a perfect defensive core stat. I'm squishy as gently caress, the time to kill is still way higher than it was before the patch, and I think enemies the drone takes down don't drop hallow point ammo - but against bleeding enemies and with the ammo it doesn't feel like it takes me two magazines to take down an unarmored red guy anymore, so that's nice.

Not sure where to go from here. Better OD gear? Better AR? Just grind out SHD levels and hope in ~400 levels the additional %10 weapon damage and armor makes me feel less weak? I'm playing content on hard and usually winning, but dying a lot more than I used to. Feel like challenge might be a stretch so far.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cluster seekers are less about one-shotting enemies and more about being a spotting tool that does damage and sets up quick kills to trigger gun talents. I still love ‘em.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cluster seekers are less about one-shotting enemies and more about being a spotting tool that does damage and sets up quick kills to trigger gun talents. I still love ‘em.

You forgot "doesn't actually do any damage since everything rolls away from them BUT they're now out of cover"

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I hit level 32 and took on a bounty and the guy took basically no damage, so I'm assuming I need to severely upgrade my guns? Is this one of those situations where every single-digit increase is an exponential power increase, so your effective power level at the start of a level is a fraction of what it'll be with a few at-level pieces of gear?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I hit level 32 and took on a bounty and the guy took basically no damage, so I'm assuming I need to severely upgrade my guns? Is this one of those situations where every single-digit increase is an exponential power increase, so your effective power level at the start of a level is a fraction of what it'll be with a few at-level pieces of gear?

Pretty much. I cleared out my stash last night when I realized even the set pieces are worthless even if I’m one away from a compete lvl 40 and just want the bonus. Iirc it was something like 8k armor on the lvl 30 stuff and north of 100k on the lvl 40.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Depends on what you have but it’s always good to stay near current level. I had a Pestilence that lasted me to 34-35 but if I had a normal yellow I would have been upgrading way earlier.

Just have to get back in that 1-30 leveling groove of not worrying about build and upgrade for the stat increases.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
I started up Warlords last night with a friend and I had a question. Are shotguns useful later in game? I love the insane damage they do but I feel like later in levels they will become useless due to enemies just being able to shred you at close range. Is there a build that uses them effectively? Cause I love just blasting fools with my double barrel.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You forgot "doesn't actually do any damage since everything rolls away from them BUT they're now out of cover"

Is that happening more after the latest patch? I noticed a lot more of it last night but it certainly worked well with carrying an LMG.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

New expansion worth $20 or whatever it costs? I'm just getting back into it after several months away, so I've got a lot of crap to catch up on.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I want that kajika music all the time

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/b97Ym7m.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/GrPlA9h.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/20ad2dC.gifv

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
https://i.imgur.com/hBchhjG.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/acXrrJH.mp4

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So far it feels like approaching D1 levels of bullet-sponge for yellowbars. Which sucks.

Skill mods seem almost like flavor now because it's clear they gave up on figuring out how to make skillpower work so skill tiers is pretty much 99% of how effective your skills are. The content itself is pretty good but clearly designed from a "Okay how do we prevent you from easily destroying this like you did before". Enemy groupings are more spread out so you can't do stuff like instagibbing whole waves of elites with concentrated seeker spam when they spawn, they love placing you in places where hive can't hit anything and you're fighting at long range, etc.

They flat out hosed up on NPC damage. No amount of armor makes any difference- you just get instantly shredded out of cover. The minigun was always a suicide button even when everything was broken in our favor but it doubly so is now outside of one case which is fighting Riker heavies provided other enemies aren't firing on you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a diminishing returns on skill haste?

What’s a good number for crit chance? I can hit 60 but my crit damage is so low I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Related question since I'm new to this game's systems: do headshots count as crits (for purposes of +crit damage)? Can headshots crit?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Headshots definitely don’t automatically count as crits as far as proccing weapon talents goes, and +headshot damage is a totally different weapon stat. I’m pretty sure that they can crit, though.

Can someone please answer, once and for all, what High Velocity Rounds do?

Estel
May 4, 2010

Related question since I'm new to this game's systems: do headshots count as crits (for purposes of +crit damage)? Can headshots crit?

If I'm not mistaken headshot damage is additive to your weapon base damage, it uses your headshot damage stat and it can crit.

Can someone please answer, once and for all, what High Velocity Rounds do?

It's the special ammo that causes bleed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Estel posted:

It's the special ammo that causes bleed.

Explosive causes bleed. I don’t see any status effects popping on high velocity.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BlackCircle posted:

I started up Warlords last night with a friend and I had a question. Are shotguns useful later in game? I love the insane damage they do but I feel like later in levels they will become useless due to enemies just being able to shred you at close range. Is there a build that uses them effectively? Cause I love just blasting fools with my double barrel.

I just hit level 40 and I'm having a huge amount of success with a shotgun/shield build.

The key aspects are:
- Firecrest Spec, fully levelled.
- Firecrest shield variant
- Skill level 5 (I want to hit 6, but bizzarely I haven't found any skill+ kneepads)
- Healing drone (heals you AND your shield!)

As long as I make sure to be aware of where the enemies are (you do NOT want baddies behind you), you can run right up with the shotgun and go to town. I recommend a Saiga or barrel-based auto-shotty over the double barrel. I used a double barrel for a while and found I spent too much time reloading and the game is odd with shot gun hits registering.

I have a question about the skill mods provided by specs, are they just auto-applied now? They don't appear to be equipable.

Related, I hear that Tactician has a perk that boosts their skill level by +1, can this cause permanent over-charge assuming I'm at skill level 6? Tactician is the only Spec I haven't touched at all.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 7, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Explosive causes bleed. I don’t see any status effects popping on high velocity.

That's because they don't cause an effect. Explosive causes a little explosion that deals extra damage and is good against armor. High Velocity causes bleeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jabro posted:

That's because they don't cause an effect. Explosive causes a little explosion that deals extra damage and is good against armor. High Velocity causes bleeding.

Except when I use explosive rounds, I’m proccing bleed everywhere, and have been for the entirety of the release of D2 on both PS4 and PC. When I use HV, I don’t see any status effects at all.