Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

well that sucks

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236299538073366528?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

haha so now that south by southwest got shutdown the next speculation is what will whats maybe the biggest sounding rodeo in america (?) gonna do??

:bahgawd: we're texas strong :bahgawd: says the massive crowd of people dressing up like its halloween in the spring while they wander around a livestock show and rodeo with the other buncha folks 55+ (ignoring the typical crowds at any sorta midway type event thats kids and younger families in general)

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Griefor posted:

For me in the Netherlands the weird thing is that it's not weird. Everything is business as usual. I really underestimated how powerful the effect of propaganda is, even in our democratic country. The RIVM and government say everything's fine, so everything's fine. My family still thinks the sweltering heat of Dutch summers is going to make Corona go away.

I just spoke to my parents in the Netherlands and they firmly believe fresh air will fix it, and in any case it's just the flu.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

our jokes are about as funny as any other hack writer's

gently caress you >:[

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/AirForceTimes/status/1236301284413710336

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Can't have a testing kit shortage if you're not testing people.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

brugroffil posted:

That's one way to keep the official numbers down lol

i mean we all joked about trump trying to hide the numbers but i still can't believe we're seeing them actually do this poo poo

the definition of an endemic disease is something like the flu or common cold that always exists at a low level in a region, and generally only sees relatively mild spikes in the number of cases (outside of the seasonal spikes). covid-19 is completely new to the US and so it doesn't even make any loving sense to refer to it as being endemic. and this nonsense is coming down from the CDC according to that statement. i honestly thought they'd still be sticking to the science and maybe be hamstrung a bit by trump, i didn't expect the organization itself to be completely compromised.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

ma i married a tuna posted:

I just spoke to my parents in the Netherlands and they firmly believe fresh air will fix it, and in any case it's just the flu.

miasmatic air is a great source of distemper, 9 out of 10 plague doctors agree

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

i mean we all joked about trump trying to hide the numbers but i still can't believe we're seeing them actually do this poo poo

the definition of an endemic disease is something like the flu or common cold that always exists at a low level in a region, and generally only sees relatively mild spikes in the number of cases (outside of the seasonal spikes). covid-19 is completely new to the US and so it doesn't even make any loving sense to refer to it as being endemic. and this nonsense is coming down from the CDC according to that statement. i honestly thought they'd still be sticking to the science and maybe be hamstrung a bit by trump, i didn't expect the organization itself to be completely compromised.

i've just accepted that we won't know what's really going on

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I saw a brawl like this over discounted dish towels during a Black Friday at Wal-mart.

Now it can be Black Friday every day!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/bigthink/status/1235587280204595208

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

do... do they still believe in the miasma theory of disease over there

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol I wonder how many people will end up quarantined in their homes and then lose their internet connection in the same day.

they will immediately un-quarantine themselves

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

twoday posted:

miasmatic air is a great source of distemper, 9 out of 10 plague doctors agree

They were thoroughly baffled by the suggestion that perhaps the RIVM was not doing the best possible job.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Lmao
https://twitter.com/DamCou/status/1236263715592384512

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
how quickly did the cases in i italy jump? is there a timeline somewhere?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Agronox posted:

do... do they still believe in the miasma theory of disease over there

Northern europe believes in fresh air. Its a good plan (lifestyle wise, in general) compared to US sick building syndrome driven by dirty HVAC situations.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

are there numbers of percent critical/ICU by age group?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/mar/06/coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-clark-county/

That's my county. No other details.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Ask them to update their will.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I expect that the number 1 cause of death in most countries in the world this year is going to be COVID-19. It's going to be hard to pretend numbers were so low when you have 100x times the normal number of people dying from pneumonia. Or if you try hiding the pneumonia, another number is going to look weird. We're currently in a phase where you can still pretend, but that won't last. Soon everyone in the world will know a person who died to COVID-19.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Bert Roberge posted:

Ask them to update their will.

Dutch people are as a rule extremely good with bureaucracy, so I am not concerned in that regard.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
government already disappearing people in america

https://twitter.com/ShepardAmbellas/status/1234988304333856771

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

So apparently a few DNR workers got tuberculosis from deer that they were testing for diseases. When will the US end it's permitting people to eat wild, potentially diseased game

the infections happened a year ago, there is nothing to be afraid about unless you happen to process deer

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Dutch people are as a rule extremely good with bureaucracy, so I am not concerned in that regard.

Also, I think if there's no will, it's pretty simple also, just spread it amongst children equally? It will only get complex with people who either have a fuckton of children/grandchildren, or none at all in which case they'll go back up the family tree.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
why don't the dutch just open the dikes and flush out their filthy country once and for all?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The Alpha Centauri posted:

how quickly did the cases in i italy jump? is there a timeline somewhere?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_Italy#Timeline

e: sorry, now in english :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 7, 2020

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pretty sure they'd be filming if they were abducting their neighbours

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bulgakov posted:

haha so now that south by southwest got shutdown the next speculation is what will whats maybe the biggest sounding rodeo in america (?) gonna do??

:bahgawd: we're texas strong :bahgawd: says the massive crowd of people dressing up like its halloween in the spring while they wander around a livestock show and rodeo with the other buncha folks 55+ (ignoring the typical crowds at any sorta midway type event thats kids and younger families in general)

can livestock get COVID-19????

TeenageArchipelago posted:

So apparently a few DNR workers got tuberculosis from deer that they were testing for diseases. When will the US end it's permitting people to eat wild, potentially diseased game

I'm planning to die of Chronic Wasting Disease I get from eating a deer I killed to eat during the coronavirus crisis

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

what was that blog devoted to the shittiest architectural features on mcmansions because woof @ that arch

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/SMerler/status/1236307722963992576

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol the government doesn't care enough to disappear peopl

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TorakFade posted:

oh hey hello. Maybe this way it will be clear why this is not "just the flu, bro".

(blue/purple lines are peaks of ICU / deaths for influenza, yellow/red are for coronavirus)

So in one week it just smashed through ICU capacity in the country (Italy) because it's just started and the peak of people in ICU is already 3.5x the peak of people in ICU for the flu

even if you don't catch the corona, you better hope you don't get in a car accident or any other of the hundreds of reasons you could need ICU for

source: Italian association of biotechnologists (is that even a word in english?), http://www.biotecnologi.org/ecco-perche-il-coronavirus-non-e-una-semplice-influenza/

I'm no fancy shmancy technologist, bio or otherwise, but the graph seems incredibly wrong about the number of influenza deaths and smells like bullshit.

WHO numbers for italy 2017 influenza/pneumonia deaths is 8.15 per 100k, which would.make it around ~4k per year. Either 2019 was an incredibly mild influenza year or they used some weird classification where they didn't include deaths from complications for influenza but did for corona-chan

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol the government doesn't care enough to disappear peopl

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm no fancy shmancy technologist, bio or otherwise, but the graph seems incredibly wrong about the number of influenza deaths and smells like bullshit.

WHO numbers for italy 2017 influenza/pneumonia deaths is 8.15 per 100k, which would.make it around ~4k per year. Either 2019 was an incredibly mild influenza year or they used some weird classification where they didn't include deaths from complications for influenza but did for corona-chan

I think countries have very different definitions of when the flu kills someone because the people who happen to die by the flu also happen to be on deaths door for a number of other things.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
:foxnews: just now

"if you're sick, just stay home"

*stays home; gets fired*

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1236308544246427650?s=20

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bip Roberts posted:

what was that blog devoted to the shittiest architectural features on mcmansions because woof @ that arch

That would be McMansion Hell and it was/is delightful.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The Alpha Centauri posted:

:foxnews: just now

"if you're sick, just stay home"

*stays home; gets fired*

Shouldn't have gotten sick if you didn't want to get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Can't fake the numbers if there are no numbers to fake