Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

just painting bro

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
Evergreeen said the CDC was endemic, I get it. Where did the CDC actually say this?

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

not good

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Having lived in a country with labor shortages for the last 6 years or so, I don't even know what the big deal is. Just get a new job, geeeez

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Bulgakov posted:

haha so now that south by southwest got shutdown the next speculation is what will whats maybe the biggest sounding rodeo in america (?) gonna do??

:bahgawd: we're texas strong :bahgawd: says the massive crowd of people dressing up like its halloween in the spring while they wander around a livestock show and rodeo with the other buncha folks 55+ (ignoring the typical crowds at any sorta midway type event thats kids and younger families in general)

I looked at their twitter and about every 3 days they tweet a reminder for people to wash their hands to stop spreading "germs"

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ma i married a tuna posted:

I just spoke to my parents in the Netherlands and they firmly believe fresh air will fix it, and in any case it's just the flu.

When your normalcy bias is so bad you forget germ theory of disease lmao

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

The medical industry is so focused on profit and cost-shaving that they practice JIT inventory for a lot of stuff. In a supply-chain breakdown environment they are going to run out of stuff in a hurry.

Several of the SNFs I work in tried to arrange discharges for certain days of the week in order to reduce the risk of having to buy meds/supplies for patients. They would end up with med and supply shortages regularly due to this.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bip Roberts posted:

what was that blog devoted to the shittiest architectural features on mcmansions because woof @ that arch

Grovervirus, or GROVID-19 if you will

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

so people got dragged out "kicking and screaming", but the person taking pictures somehow couldn't get a picture of that

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

SchrodingersCat posted:

Several of the SNFs I work in tried to arrange discharges for certain days of the week in order to reduce the risk of having to buy meds/supplies
This is gross.

And predictable.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Foo Diddley posted:

so people got dragged out "kicking and screaming", but the person taking pictures somehow couldn't get a picture of that

THINK OF THE CLICKS BRO!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Are there world series tickets inside

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Are they going to repurpose the death squads to shoot coronavirus patients instead of drug dealers or...?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Vishass posted:

I looked at their twitter and about every 3 days they tweet a reminder for people to wash their hands to stop spreading "germs"

China: completely locks down a whole province
South Korea: Drive through testing of the masses
Vietnam: Very strict border control, brings the number down to zero but for one dumb rich person
Italy: Hospitals start to buckle under pressure, retired doctors are recruited in a massive effort to keep up
US: Guys, wash your hands
Netherlands: Just the flu, summer'll kill it

Not to say that washing your hands is bad, washing your hands is supergood and you should do it often and right, but I think "Wash your hands" is going to be the "Duck and cover" of our time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

snoo posted:

it's been real fun watching and keeping track of this since early january and knowing they could've slowed or stopped it, and instead chose not to
the lesson to learn here is that the predominant neoliberal order is systematically structured to be incapable of slowing or stopping a pandemic. nobody could have chosen to slow or stop this because they would not be allowed to make that choice.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Want to know how I got these SARs?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

This dude's feed is just straight Infowars so I wouldn't give him much credit

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Bip Roberts posted:

what was that blog devoted to the shittiest architectural features on mcmansions because woof @ that arch

For real, what the gently caress. That's the actual outrage here.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

On The Media short segment on information going dark as the Trump admin takes over the CDC efforts and especially messaging

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/episodes/on-the-media-covering-pandemic-when-institutions-go-dark

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

So what does your average American think this is exactly? Grocery stores sold out of toilet paper but still have plenty of soap

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Blockade posted:

So what does your average American think this is exactly? Grocery stores sold out of toilet paper but still have plenty of soap

A toilet paper shortage

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Blockade posted:

It is simultaneously a hoax, a completely contained outbreak and an endemic disease.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Griefor posted:

It is simultaneously a hoax, a completely contained outbreak and an endemic disease.

melting pot of ideas :911:

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Blockade posted:

"I didn't see any toilet paper on the shelf yesterday so today I need to buy all the toilet paper in this Sam's Club because it's rare"
It's not in any way connected to the disease beyond the initial "tp shortage coming" rumors stemming from hysterics online. These aren't people worried about getting sick or getting anyone else sick or being isolated or anything like that, it's just pure animal reaction because capitalism has completely shattered their brains

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm no fancy shmancy technologist, bio or otherwise, but the graph seems incredibly wrong about the number of influenza deaths and smells like bullshit.

WHO numbers for italy 2017 influenza/pneumonia deaths is 8.15 per 100k, which would.make it around ~4k per year. Either 2019 was an incredibly mild influenza year or they used some weird classification where they didn't include deaths from complications for influenza but did for corona-chan

that graph seems pretty accurate to me? including pneumonia in those numbers throws it off because there are ways to get it that don't involve the flu or even any illness, stuff like patients with swallowing disorders aspirating food.

searching for flu deaths in italy it looks like 2019 was relatively light, only 40 deaths by the end of january. there were around 250 total from october to february this season and that number might include some early misdiagnosed covid-19 cases.

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
lmao the first place to really get hit by the virus is already low on medical supplies and the epidemic has barely gotten started

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1236199250977009664
hospitals are fools to let people in

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm no fancy shmancy technologist, bio or otherwise, but the graph seems incredibly wrong about the number of influenza deaths and smells like bullshit.

WHO numbers for italy 2017 influenza/pneumonia deaths is 8.15 per 100k, which would.make it around ~4k per year. Either 2019 was an incredibly mild influenza year or they used some weird classification where they didn't include deaths from complications for influenza but did for corona-chan

I dunno, ISS is our "local" equivalent of WHO and that's their data. I tend to trust them.

According to them ( https://www.epicentro.iss.it/influenza/flunews#casi ), we have had in the first 9 weeks of 2020, a grand total of 164 critical cases of which 33 died. That's a lot less than coronavirus. Coronavirus does that in one day if not more.

Also, about influenza in 2018-2019, here's what I found (sorry, google translated for lack of time):

quote:

The flu season 2018-19 has reached its peak: the peak has been reached, with 832 thousand cases in the last week from January 28 to February 3, and since the beginning of the season there are 282 serious cases and 52 deaths, thirteen of the such as in the last 7 days in conjunction with the maximum number of infections. An initial epidemiological surveillance network Influnet from the Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS), which has almost 5 million Italians in bed since the beginning of the season, draws a first balance.

80% of serious cases and 85% of deaths, states the ISS, had at least one pre-existing chronic pathology. The average age of reported cases is 61 years old and 76% are over 50 years old. In most severe cases the A-H1N1 virus has been isolated. In line with the data of recent years, this flu season has also affected children above all. In particular, it emerges that the incidence for children under 5 years old exceeded that of the 2017-18 season.

The flu has affected all the regions, even if "in particular - the Influnet network notes - those of the Center and South", and since the beginning of the surveillance, 4,780,000 cases have been estimated across the country.

Source: https://www.repubblica.it/salute/medicina-e-ricerca/2019/02/07/news/influenza_al_culmine_52_morti_da_inizio_epidemia-218569882/ , with data from the ISS. So almost 5 million infected, 282 serious cases, 52 died.... I really don't get where the "thousands upon thousands of people dead of influenza" comes from honestly, I can't find that data anywhere... if someone could provide it I'd gladly take a look (also our healthcare system counts "influenza-related" deaths as an estimate on the total number of deaths for all reasons because it's too "slow" to confirm it for every single death, so they estimate how many people should normally die, then check the total deaths, and those that are in "excess" are considered influenza-related deaths because it's an endemic thing that comes every year and makes people sick, and often makes them get pneumonia or heart attacks too. That's why influenza deaths and influenza-related deaths are VERY different and it's probably those last ones that are in the thousands, while the real, confirmed and tested ones are in the dozens)

Edit:

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

that graph seems pretty accurate to me? including pneumonia in those numbers throws it off because there are ways to get it that don't involve the flu or even any illness, stuff like patients with swallowing disorders aspirating food.

searching for flu deaths in italy it looks like 2019 was relatively light, only 40 deaths by the end of january. there were around 250 total from october to february this season and that number might include some early misdiagnosed covid-19 cases.

yeah basically this

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 7, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dang didnt take long for everyone to devolve in to looting. alright everyone, grab your lootin bricks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Griefor posted:

simultaneously a deadly chinese bioweapon and also just the flu bro

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

That's fair, but then you need to remove pneumonia cases caused by Corona too which will leave you with almost no ICU cases and probably zero deaths.

That makes for a very boring graph that won't get you any attention, so I understand why they did the dishonest panicmongering thing. A fish gotta swim, gotta publish something. But it's also fair to call them out on this bullshit.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NNUBonnie/status/1236061919850557440?s=20

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

dang didnt take long for everyone to devolve in to looting. alright everyone, grab your lootin bricks
i thought the goon saying they stole masks from the dentist's office was joking

how naive

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I’m kind of in shock that the government is just trying to squash the existence of Coronavirus like it’s some scandal story about pence having dinner with a women not his mother.

Media prepped me for everything from the government making an honest try to fix it but failing to evil bioweapon conspiracies, and even trying to nuke the virus. But Idiotocracy style *coughs blood* “it’s just the flu bro” *lungs liquify* is new.

Robo Reagan posted:

melting pot of ideas :911:

A melting fever brain.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

there's a statement on evergreen health's (that's the hospital where most of the infected people in seattle have been treated) website that the CDC has declared Covid-19 endemic to Washington so they won't be doing any more testing at their clinics

basically they're being told to just give up on detection and containment, it's going to be allowed to spread freely and we won't get any accurate case numbers out of the seattle area. this is going to have the knock on effect of making america's death rate look embarrassingly high but i doubt any of the grifter shitheads now infesting the CDC have put that much thought in to this, they just want to protect daddy trump

in a city full of old people in bc

its gonna be bad

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Florida with the 100% mortality rate lmao
bernie just might be able to eke out florida

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Numlock posted:

I’m kind of in shock that the government is just trying to squash the existence of Coronavirus like it’s some scandal story about pence having dinner with a women not his mother.
i'm betting the us government is going to avoid doing the "okay it's out of control, we admit it" phase china has essentially been forced into and when millions are infected and countries start blocking US flights it's all going to be suppressed in the service of Number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

GABA ghoul posted:

That's fair, but then you need to remove pneumonia cases caused by Corona too which will leave you with almost no ICU cases and probably zero deaths.

That makes for a very boring graph that won't get you any attention, so I understand why they did the dishonest panicmongering thing. A fish gotta swim, gotta publish something. But it's also fair for calling them on this bullshit.

nah you're not understanding: pneumonia can come from non-flu sources, which means flu+pneumonia deaths are always going to be higher than flu deaths alone, which generally will also involve pneumonia.

if you're comparing flu to covid-19 you want just the flu deaths, not flu+pneumonia from other sources. the WHO probably puts those numbers together because it's useful for determining how well a country's medical system handles respiratory crises.