Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of decals, I noticed that site has 3p HG Penelope decals for about 4bux. The only other place I've seen them is eBay, either that brand or the detail up kind.

Are there any US sources for those that won't run nearly 20bux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Welp, I have discovered a new dumb mistake to make while building a Gunpla. I find it easier to put the stickers on the pieces before I do final assembly. It's worked great until today, but now I've done this.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Nice.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I did something similar on my RG Unicorn, where I didn't notice that the sticker locations in the diagram showed it in NT-D mode, not Unicorn mode, so a few of them are upside down when it transforms.

Still, nice.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I finally started cranking on my project to rep the Rk-92 Savage in its logical element: export to Warsaw Pact states and Soviet allies.

I figured I'd start with the Rk-91 variant, parts for which are included in the olive Rk-92 kit. I figured something that was long obsolete even by the lower-spec Rk-92's standard as compared to 5th generation Arm Slaves, North Korea would have hung onto the Rk-91 in the same way they hung onto MiG-19s (I think they still do). I roughly based it around some lovely camouflage from a propaganda photo but with the logic that actual Arm Slaves wouldn't be doing much parades in Pyongyang, this one was a wreck waiting to cause some poor KPA grunt to die in a mass swarm over the 38th Parallel when the time came to liberate the South.

I've done up the AK-pattern rifles' wood grain parts, just gotta finish liquid masking them and painting them up. I figure I'll do either Vietnam next, maybe China if I can find references for actual camo they might have used and not just whatever Chinesium clone of 4BO that's been in use since Chairman Mao's time.

Now I gotta think about how the Stasi would paint their Rk-92s, or maybe Czechoslovakia. I've got three more total after this, four more if you count the Savage Crossbow.

Of note, this was the first time I tried contiguous camo schemes across all parts of a mecha model. The last time I tried this I did each part separately and it wasn't the greatest look. I kept everything masked and poked holes for the joints, stretching and cutting poster tack to keep the lines integrated across the torso and extremities.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

I finally started cranking on my project to rep the Rk-92 Savage in its logical element: export to Warsaw Pact states and Soviet allies.

I figured I'd start with the Rk-91 variant, parts for which are included in the olive Rk-92 kit. I figured something that was long obsolete even by the lower-spec Rk-92's standard as compared to 5th generation Arm Slaves, North Korea would have hung onto the Rk-91 in the same way they hung onto MiG-19s (I think they still do). I roughly based it around some lovely camouflage from a propaganda photo but with the logic that actual Arm Slaves wouldn't be doing much parades in Pyongyang, this one was a wreck waiting to cause some poor KPA grunt to die in a mass swarm over the 38th Parallel when the time came to liberate the South.

I've done up the AK-pattern rifles' wood grain parts, just gotta finish liquid masking them and painting them up. I figure I'll do either Vietnam next, maybe China if I can find references for actual camo they might have used and not just whatever Chinesium clone of 4BO that's been in use since Chairman Mao's time.

Now I gotta think about how the Stasi would paint their Rk-92s, or maybe Czechoslovakia. I've got three more total after this, four more if you count the Savage Crossbow.

Of note, this was the first time I tried contiguous camo schemes across all parts of a mecha model. The last time I tried this I did each part separately and it wasn't the greatest look. I kept everything masked and poked holes for the joints, stretching and cutting poster tack to keep the lines integrated across the torso and extremities.

Looks good!

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

MJP posted:

I was gonna say, the camo looks pretty natural on the arms in your photo. Thanks for the tip! I'm kinda considering taking my first crack at camo for my 30mm build.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

30mm build is primed!

I totally need a new needle for my airbrush too.

It's got an ever so slight bend on the tip and you have to adjust your spray a-la playing Time Crisis back in the day when the sensor was slightly off centre.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 7, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Went to Supanova Melbourne today, and they had a very nice Bandai-Namco booth with an excellent Gunpla display.

These were all available to buy there, and the prices weren't too brutal. I got myself the "Iron-Blood Coating" HG Barbatos Lupus Gundam, to go with my Clear HG Barbatos from the last time they had a booth at a convention :v:.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I was gonna say, the camo looks pretty natural on the arms in your photo. Thanks for the tip! I'm kinda considering taking my first crack at camo for my 30mm build.

The tough part was getting everything together while keeping the masking on the joints, which were already painted bare metal. A few strategically poked holes :getin: did the trick.

Lighter colors first, give it a day in between colors, learn to love squishing poster tack, and you're good.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Impressive work as usual MJP. Can you describe the technique you're using for wood grain? My workspace has a canoe theme and I've been tossing around a mascot Crossbone where the back verniers are crossed oars.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I figured out what to do with those spare limbs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

:yeah:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

grassy gnoll posted:

That is amazing. Just take a Gundam pen and add a small line to give that haro a proper butt, please.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

Impressive work as usual MJP. Can you describe the technique you're using for wood grain? My workspace has a canoe theme and I've been tossing around a mascot Crossbone where the back verniers are crossed oars.

I'm stupid and don't have any photos before the masking fluid, and this method only produces a dark looking wood, but even if it's not perfect it's super cool.

I start with a layer of Vallejo Natural Wood (182) and let it dry. Then take Vallejo Woodgrain (182) on a brush. Brush off roughly half of the paint on a piece of paper as if you're about to drybrush. Then take the halfway dry brush and... well... drybrush it. Go in linear strokes in the direction of the grain and build up as you go. Vary up the stroke a little.

I'll see if I can finish the guns over the next day or so in hopes of peeling the mask off to show what it does. Sadly this doesn't do a natural light wood color, but it's close to what you would see on a Kalashnikov.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

d3lness posted:

That is amazing. Just take a Gundam pen and add a small line to give that haro a proper butt, please.

:emptyquote:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Got some decent enough weather for me to finish my 30mm build. Went with a sentry bot style of build after changing my mind about 13 times.

Totally forgot to put a top coat on it before I assembled it.

Trying to get decent pictures of a dark model in a dark house is an exercise in frustration.

Anyway, enjoy!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Having a BYOGunpla party tomorrow and have these ideas for snacks. Any other ideas?

Gunplacamole
Chicken MᵉcʰNuggets
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lasagna
Don’t Give It Up ‘Zza-lo
Ikari Gendonuts
Darling in the Franks
Giant Nacho
Ghost in the (soft or hard) Shell
Endless Waltzermelon

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

Having a BYOGunpla party tomorrow and have these ideas for snacks. Any other ideas?

Gunplacamole
Chicken MᵉcʰNuggets
Don’t Give It Up ‘Zza-lo
Ikari Gendonuts
Darling in the Franks
Giant Nacho
Endless Waltzermelon

Spiked ReZeltzer

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Unmature posted:

Gunplacamole
Chicken MᵉcʰNuggets
Don’t Give It Up ‘Zza-lo
Ikari Gendonuts
Darling in the Franks
Giant Nacho
Endless Waltzermelon

New Mobile Report Gundam Hotwings
Eureka 7-up (for a mixed drink, add maybe gin or vodka + marascino -- for virgin, just 7-up and grenadine)
0080: War in the Hot Pocket
Aura Battler Dunbeans
00: A Wakening of the Trailmix
Mobile Fighter Ghee Gundam
Gundam F-Naan-One
Terrine-A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Oranges
Gundam: ReconPizza in G
Full Metal Panini!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

New Mobile Report Gundam Hotwings
Eureka 7-up (for a mixed drink, add maybe gin or vodka + marascino -- for virgin, just 7-up and grenadine)
Aura Battler Dunbeans
00: A Wakening of the Trailmix
Mobile Fighter Ghee Gundam
Gundam F-Naan-One
Terrine-A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Oranges
Gundam: ReconPizza in G
Full Metal Panini!

Gutbuster
Gutbuster 2: Diet Buster

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Kraven Moorhed posted:

:five:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Naanbread
Panzer World Guacamole
Penne no Lagrange
Gargantia on the Verdurous Pizza
Xabugles

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not easy to see the grip but to the left and right you can sorta see how it comes together.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Charred Counter Attack - Blackened chicken
Unicorn on the cob - duh
Sausage Banagher Links - Bangers and mash
White Deviled eggs - Deviled eggs with green onion and garlic
Colony Drop sandwich - Just a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on toast, but the toast is burned and it has to be strawberry jam

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hahaha these all rule thank you

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just don't forget the Gaogaigarlic Bread

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kraven Moorhed posted:

...Is there a hamburger Hot Pocket?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Hot Scamble (red hot scrambled eggs)
Red Comets (red hot meatballs)
Nightmare of Salsamon (red hot salsa)
A Wakening of the Quail Blazer (red hot stuffed quails eggs)
Black Tri-Stars (caviar on red hot star shaped toast points)
MSV-Rnold Palmer (Just regular Arnold Palmers.. red hot though, of course)

For the more avant garde dinner party though, 'AGE: Memory of Edam' just the wax from some Edam on a plate.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 8, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Iron Blood Oranges

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Marshmallow S'morcessor Nadesico

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Another BD:Re Rise S2 kit announced.

Gundam Aegis Knight

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1236816042661261312?s=19

So hopefully an HGCE Aegis should be coming shortly after.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Another BD:Re Rise S2 kit announced.

Gundam Aegis Knight

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1236816042661261312?s=19

So hopefully an HGCE Aegis should be coming shortly after.

Kind of a pity it looks like the flight mode's just a flip-over backpack and shoulders-down kinda form, rather than THE CLAW. But it is a good design addressing the big issue the Justice Knight had with being pretty loving bad in the air.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Just picked up the new Marchosias. The inner frame is exactly the same sans the face and neck parts are different. Otherwise it looks like it's just as good as the rest of the line and I really hope the pump out all the gundam and modified Rodi frames eventually.

Edit: the other immediate down side is the sticker sheet is bigger than I was expecting. 22 in all.so think Guison Rebake/Full City.

Sazabi fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 9, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's also what's almost certainly [url=the SaturSix Gundam announced as well. It looks like it's based off the Stargazer Gundam :stare:.

The ring system's an accessory pack, so you can stick it on any Gunpla you want.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yup, here's the pages:

Saturn Armor
Saturn Weapons
Gundam Aegis Knight (Just in case)

And apparently also an all new HGUC (as opposed to the 4 different HG:Origin releases) Char's Zaku II. It has a couple of new gimmicks in it though apparently, including a choice between articulated hard skirt plates or a soft rubber skirt for that authentic late 70's animation jank look?

No sign of Baund Doc yet though.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 9, 2020

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
drat, lotta good ideas in this thread but I'm gonna have to steal this one.

Unmature posted:

Endless Waltzermelon

Been trying to put together a community build night at work and if we can generate enough interest, maybe I can coerce them into doing some custom cocktails for it.

My original idea was just make a margarita with a Taijin rim and throw a beam saber in the glass and call it a Tequila Gundam.. :shobon:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Gunpla night was a rousing success! 5 of us started by going to my favorite model store in LA Neo Happyland in Chinatown and then picked up pizzas and snacks for the evening. I fully expected buying so much would mean no one would show up but my apartment was packed with nerds until midnight. EVERYONE brought models and tools and almost all of them were first timers. I think I’ve infected most of them. Gonna do it again real soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's great that bluefin is stocking p-bandai stuff now but I really wish they'd ship to canada god drat it.