Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So basically putting it out of reasonable reach of anyone flying casually :waycool:

In reality, people who really want to fly will just fly illegally, driving it underground. Nice work FAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/12/31/2019-28100/remote-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems

They're proposing a rule that will in many ways completely destroy the hobby and cripple the commercial industry.

Why will requiring commercial drones to broadcast a tail number and their coordinates "cripple" the industry?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sagebrush posted:

Why will requiring commercial drones to broadcast a tail number and their coordinates "cripple" the industry?

A lot of commercial work is flown out of good cell coverage, limiting you to a 400' straight line which is insane.

It also forces you to use a data connection, a lot of commercial operations use a phone or tablet dedicated to drone flying that doesn't have an internet connection/data connection.

We've already seen people attack drone pilots and drones, quite literally giving the public a point on the map where you're standing is nuts. They should be license plate style only, like a tail number now on any other aircraft.

Also remember if you want to fly your own little FPV drone that you kit-built? You have to certify it with remote ID which costs thousands of dollars, or you're stuck flying without remote ID or just saying gently caress it and flying illegally.

The point of remote ID was to make the airspace safer and all it's going to do is encourage illegal flights and cost people money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there a 400-foot altitude ceiling for commercial work, or is that just on amateur stuff?

As A Pilot I think everything flying above 400 feet should be required to have a transponder/locator of some kind (and maybe a radar reflector too). If the FAA says that the proliferation of drones will swamp ADS-B transceivers, and they want commercial drones to use the cell network to provide location information instead, that sounds logical to me. Refusing to buy a SIM card for your tablet is a pretty pathetic reason to be against the regulation.

Below 400 feet AGL I'm personally fine with drones going without a transponder because no manned aircraft should be operating below 500' anywhere except during takeoff and landing, and I believe (I hope) it is illegal to operate a drone in the vicinity of an airport anyway.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 29, 2020

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

400' feet in any direction, not just up.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the new restrictions for all pilots would be:

-- Under 250g - OK
-- Fly at an AMA airfield which has been granted a temporary FRIA exemption (up to 400ft high). These are to be phased out too. - OK
-- Fly within a 400ft radius (half dome actually) of you, with a licensed aircraft (all must have their own individual license), while you are connected to the internet and sending your transmitting location - OK
-- Fly an licensed aircraft with an always on internet connected GPS receiver, while you are also connected to the internet and sending your transmitting location as well

All the bits that are sending out this information must have come from an approved FAA manufacturer, and be tamper-proof. Licenses are per-manufactured aircraft (can't build your own) and are probably going cost per-license per-month. Essentially it kills any drone / model airplane over 250g unless you want to fly at an AMA field.

EDIT: Here are the proposed 3 categories:

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 29, 2020

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

CapnBry posted:

Yeah the new restrictions for all pilots would be:

-- Under 250g - OK
-- Fly at an AMA airfield which has been granted a temporary FRIA exemption (up to 400ft high). These are to be phased out too. - OK
-- Fly within a 400ft radius (half dome actually) of you, with a licensed aircraft (all must have their own individual license), while you are connected to the internet and sending your transmitting location - OK
-- Fly an licensed aircraft with an always on internet connected GPS receiver, while you are also connected to the internet and sending your transmitting location as well

All the bits that are sending out this information must have come from an approved FAA manufacturer, and be tamper-proof. Licenses are per-manufactured aircraft (can't build your own) and are probably going cost per-license per-month. Essentially it kills any drone / model airplane over 250g unless you want to fly at an AMA field.

My local AMA field doesn't allow quadcopters :v:, so this is truly a fantastic change.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

xsf421 posted:

My local AMA field doesn't allow quadcopters :v:, so this is truly a fantastic change.

Write a comment on the rule it's the only ammo you have outside of money to lobbying groups.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Write a comment on the rule it's the only ammo you have outside of money to lobbying groups.

I did, but even if it passes I'll likely just keep going as I am now, and not care about the rule.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
What's nuts is quadcopters were virtually created by innovating people strapping Wii remotes to wooden dowels, which would be highly illegal. This seeks to prevent this sort of innovation to protect the new commercial drone industry it has created? It isn't like they can outlaw the parts, since it is almost trivial to create your own ESCs or flight controllers from general purpose microcontrollers and MOSFETs. If they're trying to prevent terrorists from making bomb quads, a law requiring that all commercially manufactured drones have licenses and transmitters won't do a thing.

It just seems very ignorant of how many people actually fly custom quads and model airplanes. I think just a higher exemption limit (1-2kg?) or the ability to just declare your intent to fly (anywhere that is currently allowed) through a website or app would be sufficient to make it not a model aviation killer.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

You've stumbled on the problem we've (as an industry) been having for years. Ignorance of how people actually use the technology.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Finally submitted my comment to the FAA. I am a terrible writer and have mush for brains, but after reading some of the others, I don't feel too bad.

Unrelated, but I do have a new build that I should still be able to fly in a worse case scenario if the above goes through unchanged:

• Racer X Twig Mutant 4 Frame
  • BetaFPV 1404 3800kv Motors
  • Diatone Mamba F405 Mini Mk2 20x20 20A Stack
  • Foxeer Arrow Micro Pro FPV Camera
  • Eachine Nano 25-400mW VTX
  • HQ T4x2.5 Bi-Blade Props

My first set of BetaFPV 1404 motors had one that consistently desynced about once per minute. Annoyingly, the flight controller decides it doesn't want to log things half the time, but I got enough data to figure out which motor it was and see that the problem followed it when I relocated it. Thankfully, I purchased the motors on Amazon, so they sent an advance replacement pretty quickly. I can definitely say this frame can take a beating after the four or five high altitude freefalls into grass it experienced.

I sold my Babyhawk R 2.5" to build this because I found that quad to be a little too punchy and fast for the proximity flying I wanted to do. I'm glad I did because this is my best flying model yet. Very smooth, chill, and efficient (4:30 to 5:00 minutes on 3S 650mAh). It's set up for 4S, but the only batteries I own that fit this are the ones I used with the Babyhawk R, so that's what I use. It does so well on 3S, I don't feel the need to get any 4S batteries for this any time soon. Maybe I've moved on from my "POWAHHH" stage, but climbing and maneuvering performance is totally sufficient on 3S.

This frame is meant primarily for BetaFPV 20A Whoop boards, but it also supports 20x20 stacks (which I chose because it was $25 cheaper). Jon E5 FPV Drones on YouTube built one of these using the same Diatone 20x20 stack as me, but for the life of me, I couldn't get the canopy as low as he did and I had to use standoffs. They're not breaking in crashes, so I'm in no hurry to fix it.

My only real complaint about the frame is the battery strap slots are a bizarre width that only the included strap comes in (14mm) and I destroyed mine in the aforementioned flips of death. The RDQ 15x155mm strap that you can get for free when you order from their site can fit if you don't mind the edges folding over, but the slot is also so narrow that 95% of the velcro's useful life is consumed simply by routing it through because the hard edges just scrape the mating surface and turn it into a loose frizz. Maybe if I take apart the whole quad and feed the next one through carefully with both hands, I might be able to preserve it, but I'm not so sure.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Likely under the influence of the NPRM, Japan is going to require license plate style ID broadcast for anything above their "toy" class of <200g. The key difference is they appear to be authorizing police to shoot down UAS not broadcasting this ID. Picturing some keystone cops shooting down a 195g quad, peppering a distant school's sports field with missed rounds.

E: or a compliant craft that they couldn't ID due to zero experience with their remote ID reader

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cool so everyone is just going to fly illegally then unless they’re getting paid for it?

Got it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've been a fan of this guy's malicious compliance for some time now

filing a NOTAM for the drone operations within a half a mile of his house up to 10 feet above the ground

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cool so everyone is just going to fly illegally then unless they’re getting paid for it?

Got it.

Yeah pretty much.

If this passes I think we'll see a lot more "guerilla FPV" style stuff happening. If it's illegal to fly responsibly then hell, why not dive an office building?

Australia doesn't even have the 250 gram exception to their bizarre regulations that were clearly written for internal combustion powered model aircraft, so everyone just ignores the regs here (30 meters from any building? Any building including my own house? With a tinywhoop? Shut the gently caress up CASA)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Got it.

People already fly illegally whilst getting paid for it, and I imagine a lot of that will continue. The entire point of RID was to provide a legal path toward BVLOS and other flying conditions that are currently very difficult to get a waiver for. Guess where people often conduct BVLOS ops - places with poo poo internet.

The commission in charge of actually suggesting standards (who were completely ignored for this NPRM) were mentioning on facebook that the broadcast + transmit requirements on the high end were likely from outside pressure by DHS.

Sagebrush posted:

i've been a fan of this guy's malicious compliance for some time now

filing a NOTAM for the drone operations within a half a mile of his house up to 10 feet above the ground

Theres not a notam requirement for anything I can really think of under part 107. unless you're doing certain operations under a COA (we would file earlier in the week for flying over 400' in our test site)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 1, 2020

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Got it.

A lot of people flying commercially are going to be operating illegally too which is frustrating because for the most part we (Commercial operators) want regulations which will keep things safe, let us do our job, and keep hobbiests in the hobby sphere.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

malicious compliance

That rules. We don't have registration or anything like that here but it's not like I fly more than a few meters above terrain features anyway so IDGAF.
The morons going cloud chasing above populated areas are just begging to have their toys taken away.

moron izzard posted:

Theres not a notam requirement for anything I can really think of under part 107. unless you're doing certain operations under a COA (we would file earlier in the week for flying over 400' in our test site)
That just makes it better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Last day to register complaints on the faa’s drone rules. I can’t even get the site to load so I imagine others are doing the same in large numbers.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
This was published a few weeks ago, about a guy in the 1980's experimenting with FPV planes. Pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_gPhT61ek

e: i'm at the 20+ minute mark and now he is getting into realtime heading indication
ee: it keeps delivering

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 6, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More Bebop 2 shots. I love how stable this thing is. I have to get used to the fact that I can chuck this thing up in the air in way windier conditions than I’m used to. I’ve been not flying due to the wind but I think I could have been flying all this time.

GPS and gyros are a hell of a thing

https://i.imgur.com/LCQSVuN.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/o2MI3zw.mp4

There isn’t a way to embed video from Imgur is there?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's embedded for me. Those are some good shots for a 'free' drone!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, maybe it’s just my phone. Yeah, I still can’t believe someone recycled it but :iiam:

The extra funny part is when I registered the drone to my parrot account, it had exactly one flight, in 2016 for 3 minutes :psypop:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Threw together some footage flying around with the tinyhawk. drat this thing is a blast to fly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIIO9HHRYIo

sorry about potato quality, I think the next drone I buy will have an HD camera and on-board recording

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 29, 2020

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Consider the wind speeds they may want to operate in. Adding an additional camera will reduce any sticker speed, so should be considered as well. So you want live thermal imaging, not a recorded video to be analyzed later? Is that supported by the add-on system?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I would recommend focusing on flyability, so find something that's already IR integrated, flies like a DJI and is as idiot proof as possible. Whoever is operating it will have five other things to worry about the drone needs to be easy.

If they're flying under a COA the hard work is already done, if not, that's what you need to work on before buying drones. Start with a 107 but move to a COA asap.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I like turtles posted:

I know basically jack poo poo about drones, but I'm volunteering with a local FD in logistics. I realized that a drone with an IR camera would be quite useful in both structure fires and in mop up for brush fires.
This appears to be a well supported idea, looking around online. There are some commercially available options with IR cameras already installed, or it looks like adding one could be done for a few grand.
What would y'all suggest? I figure I should learn how to drone before telling the department what to buy, what is the basic suggestion for baby's first drone? Does not need to be exceptionally fast or agile.
What sorts of drones I should be looking at (ideally good battery life, and tough) for the department? Again, quick and nimble are not high priorities.
Thoughts on commercially available drone specifically marketed for fire fighting purposes, vs commercially available drones with IR camera slapped on?

You'll find that the FAA quickly slaps strict restrictions on wild fires and at least here in Canada, you would also need explicit permission to fly over/near regular house fires.
So, I'd start finding out what the legal framework actually is. Getting permission from the local fire/police dept is most likely not enough.

You'll be looking at the higher end of consumer/ low end commercial drones in order to ensure you get the reliability to operate over/near people and structures, so something like a DJI Inspire 2 with a FLIR Vue
https://www.dronefly.com/flir-touch-hd-thermal-bundle-for-inspire-2.html

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Also aside from the terribly exciting ICS 300/400, look for Air Operations Intro and Supervisor classes if you can get into one.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I like turtles posted:

This would be for the fire department, as a volunteer, coordinating with the incident commander. Potentially supporting multiple departments through mutual aid agreements. The drone itself would end up being owned by the department. Will start poking around with the FAA to figure out what is appropriate.

Am I likely to need a HAM license due to transceiver power?

Thanks all!

What I meant is that your local fire dept is probably irrelevant in this as it falls under the FAA.

A standard DJI would not need a HAM need it due to the frequency bands used (2.4ghz and 5.8ghz). Think 915mhz is free in the US as well, but 433mhz would require a commercial radio operator license. Your standard recreational ham license will not cover it as it's no longer recreational use.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 10, 2020

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I should add that I think it's a great idea and probably a highly useful tool, but there's a fair amount of hurdles to get over and it may be so restricted that it's not worthwhile...but someone ought to start doing this :D

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I do hope that UAVs start getting properly used for firefighting. Multirotors would provide very low risk monitoring options where satellites are far too slow, and it's a tragedy whenever one of those firefighting planes crashes. It would be far better if those old c130s were uncrewed. It would be a pretty massive engineering task, but given the fires we had this year in Australia and the expected fires everywhere due to climate change, it seems like a pretty worthwhile investment.

As for your specific needs, you'll definitely want high grade commercial stuff. Most of the companies that sell high end commercial drones should be able to help you out with both the gear and the legal hoops.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DO NOT roll your own emergency service UAV unless you’ve been hired on to work full time on the support of it. Even then I still wouldn’t, personally. In an emergency, known, supportable systems are key, no one needs to be guessing how things work or are put together. It’s why you don’t see fire departments making fire engines out of tanker trucks and things like that.

An off the shelf item from a big company is the way to go.

Also when things go wrong you will want to be able to lean on the manufacturer.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

100% agree with Jim Silly-Balls but have to say we have a local FD who turned a septic pumper into a tender truck and holy poo poo it can just blast water turbo-fast everywhere it's insane and like a thousand times more effective than anything I've seen from Pierce at just moving water.

Still, you right, especially about drones.

I like turtles posted:

I've emailed the FAA - I speak fed so I'm hopeful I can get something going. Or at very least, lay out what we'd need to do to the department leadership. The captain I spoke to today indicated that when we were ordering a new truck, there was a mention of UAS for fire/rescue support, and I'm seeing a decent amount of sales pitches and directed at fire organizations, so I'm hoping that it's common enough that it isn't as painful as suggesting a brand new thing.

Where in the country are you? This next year's Homeland Security Grant Program is starting to allow drones so if you can build it up as part of a regional benefit you might have access to that money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nothing like learning how to use Flight Plan by chucking your electronic doodad out over super deep choppy water!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ANnygcngI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s pretty neat, is that the “Flight Plan for DJI Drones” on the App Store? If so, do you figure that $15 is worth the cost of admission?