Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Except when I use explosive rounds, I’m proccing bleed everywhere, and have been for the entirety of the release of D2 on both PS4 and PC. When I use HV, I don’t see any status effects at all.

My bad, they just stagger the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jabro posted:

My bad, they just stagger the enemy.

That might be why I’m not noticing anything with them- can’t normal ammo stagger an enemy when you do enough damage?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

a mysterious cloak posted:

New expansion worth $20 or whatever it costs? I'm just getting back into it after several months away, so I've got a lot of crap to catch up on.

$30 and probably not. The game seems to be at least as buggy as it was at launch, if not buggier. I had to restart several times because all of the game's explosions would cut off maybe 1/4 of the way after playing the sound effect, leading to every explosion sounding like popcorn popping. Enemies are back to 1.0 levels of "constantly flank them" behavior, which is now more annoying since veterans and elites spam all their skills with no cooldown. All of the new content can be blown through in a few hours. Nearly every mission has soft-locked for us at one point or another. There are currently about half a dozen NPCs that are unresponsive if you try to interact with them, including someone marked as a vendor in the new settlement. Skill mods are nearly useless now but you're still gonna get tons of lovely ones filling up your inventory.

More battle pass poo poo to try and justify milking you for even more money, but of course the one that is included with the expansion pass won't actually start until after you've done all the new stuff. That's coming from someone who has currently spent $86 (gold edition from GMG at launch) and $24 for the expansion (using ubi coins for 20% off), making this the most I have ever spent on a PC game.

If you wanna listen to casey affleck yell at you for a few hours about how you suck but in the end, nah, you're good people, buy warlords of new york. I am having issues coming up with many other redeeming factors. Maybe in another year when the rest of this expansion stuff is added in, $24+ will seem like a more reasonable price but I would argue it isn't worth either your time or money at the moment.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hit level 40 and got the new exotic backpack in my very first cleaners cache after using a key. That was a nice find.

I really like that they brought back vertical movement with the return to new york. It's one of the things I missed the most about the first game. Running around on rooftops during the Apocalypse is fun. I also miss the normal citizens running around everywhere and having their little scenes play out - it gave an extra level of humanity and desperation to the atmosphere and storytelling that it's lacking now that the only things you encounter are enemy fighters or ally fighters.

Seeing helpless citizens once in a while just trying to survive really helped with immersion and I liked rescuing them from harm when I could.

I think the expansion is worth the money. The new zones are really detailed (if a little too trash heavy) and rooftop gameplay is back. The boss fights are really well done in my opinion and each one feels different. The future release of manhunts and the seasonal pass leveling to 100 seem like they'll give us something to do even if one of them is just busy work and watching numbers go up. It's still better than having nothing to do, I suppose. I don't regret buying it.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 7, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a diminishing returns on skill haste?

What’s a good number for crit chance? I can hit 60 but my crit damage is so low I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I’m not too far into any builds yet but I am trying to put together a solo SMG build. My current thoughts are that a good chunk of critical damage will come from the right brand sets and red mod slots. You can get 15% from 1 piece Grupo? or whatever and another 15% from 3 piece Sokolov or, if you’re not running SMGs, 3 piece Providence. With 3 offensive mod slots and good mods you can get another 15-20% critical damage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

*shrug* I think the bugs are a ymmv thing. I’ve seen zero.

I’m also not having trouble killing things on hard. Some bosses can be a bit bullet spongey but not anything select skills can’t help with.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did ubicoins work on this at release? I generated a code and it got bounced when I tried to check out.

smellmycheese posted:

An all new NYC dark zone incorporating all the best bits of Div1 and 2 really would be the icing on the cake.
I would pay for an NYC DZ as its own game.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 24, 2024

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I wanted to see what survivability was like if you want all in on armor rolls and it's surprisingly ok against Challenging content when you have 1.6 million armor. The trouble, naturally, is that killing things is a chore. I have an M249 with 195 rounds thanks to the Gunner mag and the True Patriot set bonus, and it still is barely able to kill a veteran on Challenging if I get enough headshots.

Speaking of True Patriot, this is actually quite a good support set now. With the TP backpack talent, once an enemy has the white debuff you'll get 8% armor/second back while you're shooting them. Since you'll be shooting forever that's pretty useful, especially with 1.6 million armor. The red and blue debuffs increase the damage enemies take by 12% and decrease their damage by 12% too so your teammates hit a bit harder and last a bit longer if you spread the debuffs around.

I think the chest talent isn't too useful because it only reduces the debuff cycle rate by .5 second so I think having something like the Tardigrade chest exotic would be more useful because teammates will get a lot of bonus armor when theirs breaks. All in all, I think the survivability you have at 1.6 million armor is closer to what your baseline should be for higher difficulties. While you shouldn't be able to facetank, you should still be able to take more than 2 bullets before you're dropped to 1HP. The fact that you have 2 less armor kits makes this especially tough to deal with when you don't have a dedicated healer.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The worst thing I've seen in my playtime from 30-40 was one of the boss bounties you get from a zone project being finished took their sweet time to spawn and had me running around killing stuff for about 20 minutes until it decided to go forward and spawn the actual named boss but I don't know if that was actually working as intended or not.

Other than that I've seen nothing buggy or broken, surprisingly. Then again I did miss a day or two of playtime and I think they pushed out a few fixes before I could encounter them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’m also not having trouble killing things on hard. Some bosses can be a bit bullet spongey but not anything select skills can’t help with.

After they fixed the community leader bug, I only ran into a delayed spawn point capture as far as bugs go. And that’s one that was in vanilla.

The NY enemies seem built around shooting weak points. If you do that, they fold pretty easily. There’s a lot of AoE effects on weak points, too- the vapor grenade one is like a free firestarter skill use.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The worst thing I've seen in my playtime from 30-40 was one of the boss bounties you get from a zone project being finished took their sweet time to spawn and had me running around killing stuff for about 20 minutes until it decided to go forward and spawn the actual named boss but I don't know if that was actually working as intended or not.

Other than that I've seen nothing buggy or broken, surprisingly. Then again I did miss a day or two of playtime and I think they pushed out a few fixes before I could encounter them.

I haven't played in a couple of days so maybe they did fix a bunch of the more obvious ones. For what it is worth, the week before, we had bugs in three of the four Kenly missions that required us to start over (like picking up the bunker keycard but the mission not actually progressing) so it hasn't been limited to the expansion. I originally played through the first raid when some skill mods like + cluster mines didn't work for months. Even the glitter emote is broken somehow. Lots of "hold F to talk" didn't work Thursday. We have run into territory control that drops cards to open supply crates and the crates can't be interacted with either.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Fell through the world as a capper on my time in the Financial District. Probably time to take a break.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Snuffman posted:

Related, I hear that Tactician has a perk that boosts their skill level by +1, can this cause permanent over-charge assuming I'm at skill level 6? Tactician is the only Spec I haven't touched at all.

It does not. It does not do anything at all.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been running the hologram decoy and it's actually kinda fun and useful? I've been running it with a blinder firefly and an eyeless shotgun and I feel like a ninja with all the flanking and decoy escapes I do. The decoy is basically a personal tank that does nothing but generate threat while you are free to run around flanking enemies, it's an amazing panic button that usually allows you get to cover. This is also my first time really using the blinder firefly and it feels really good on a skill build, it gives you a solid 10-15 seconds to tear through the blinded enemies and the targeting interface is pretty simple

Definitely looking forward to trying this build in endgame with some more armor rolls on the build.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

This is kind of a broad question, but I'm going to ask it in the hopes that even if I can't get a full answer, I can at least get steered in the right direction. I'm a new player, I boosted to level 30, and I played through the WONY campaign and am now at level 40. I went back to DC and started trying to clear out some of the mission and strongholds. I grouped up with people on challenging difficulty, and while I'm not terrible, I'm not exactly leading the group in usefulness. I soloed all of the storymode in WONY and I ran the drone and cluster mines for most of it, with the sharpshooter specialization.

How do I start setting up a basic build that will give me a decent base to work from? How do I make myself better, both soloing and as a group member?

Any advice is appreciated, I just feel kind of lost as to what to do next, what to aim for, and how to farm it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I guess I uh mashed through the warning saying that you can't switch back to DC once you start WONY until you finish the story and my friends who play decided to NOT buy the expansion. I hope once I do finish I can go back and party up with non-expansion-havers?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You should be able to, yes. Or just start up a second character (optionally, L30 boost it) and use that one in DC. That's what I did and it worked fine.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Snuffman posted:

I just hit level 40 and I'm having a huge amount of success with a shotgun/shield build.

The key aspects are:
- Firecrest Spec, fully levelled.
- Firecrest shield variant
- Skill level 5 (I want to hit 6, but bizzarely I haven't found any skill+ kneepads)
- Healing drone (heals you AND your shield!)

Remember, with the shield equipped, you only need 3 skill and 3 def to get skill tier 6 with shields, it adds up for some reason.

I'm having the worst time with Delta-03 error disconnects, I can be on soloing for hours and have no problems.
But the minute I team, i'll get 4-5 disconnects in a row with maybe 30s-60s connect time between.
It'll stop after that, but its a huge pain.
Prevents me from answering any call from help, because I just don't want to leave someone hanging in the middle of a fight.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Psion posted:

You should be able to, yes. Or just start up a second character (optionally, L30 boost it) and use that one in DC. That's what I did and it worked fine.

Ah okay, I was worried starting a second character would overwrite the first one or something. Once I make the character I can apply the boost in game?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

cerebral posted:

This is kind of a broad question, but I'm going to ask it in the hopes that even if I can't get a full answer, I can at least get steered in the right direction. I'm a new player, I boosted to level 30, and I played through the WONY campaign and am now at level 40. I went back to DC and started trying to clear out some of the mission and strongholds. I grouped up with people on challenging difficulty, and while I'm not terrible, I'm not exactly leading the group in usefulness. I soloed all of the storymode in WONY and I ran the drone and cluster mines for most of it, with the sharpshooter specialization.

How do I start setting up a basic build that will give me a decent base to work from? How do I make myself better, both soloing and as a group member?

Any advice is appreciated, I just feel kind of lost as to what to do next, what to aim for, and how to farm it.

Start with a skill, weapon, talent, status effect, or gearset that you like the sound of, then just build out from there. For example if you wanted to build around cluster mines, you could consider running hard wired to reset the cooldown and a secondary ability that's online pretty often, then you'd probably want a piece of china light gear for the explosive damage brand bonus, and after that you just want to stack a bunch of skill tier/haste/damage and maybe some armor.

Gearsets are probably the simplest path to an interesting build, most are very simple damage focused sets with a small fun gimmick. You can also just stack damage attributes and run some simple utility skills/talents.

In terms of farming it, just check the targeted loot allocation on the world map and farm whatever has the piece/brand you need targeted. A mission that has gearset pieces targeted can get you a nearly complete gearset build in a very short amount of time.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 8, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

explosivo posted:

Ah okay, I was worried starting a second character would overwrite the first one or something. Once I make the character I can apply the boost in game?

not sure, since I have new $3rd wave friends so I'm just leveling 1-30 again. You can have up to 4 agents on one account, so I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

OgNar posted:

Remember, with the shield equipped, you only need 3 skill and 3 def to get skill tier 6 with shields, it adds up for some reason.

Oh neat, I guess that makes sense because armor is tank-build based and the shield is THE tanking skill.

Is it only 3/3 or can you go all armor and get a lvl 6 shield?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
On a casual play level it's kinda silly. On challenging yellowbar healer lunchboxes have a shitzillion HP when they're NOT throwing them INSIDE geometry so you almost can't shoot them. Running out of ammo multiple times as a gunner spec trying to kill a single boss heavy with a full group is interesting too.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Snuffman posted:

Oh neat, I guess that makes sense because armor is tank-build based and the shield is THE tanking skill.

Is it only 3/3 or can you go all armor and get a lvl 6 shield?

You can go all blue core skills and get a level six shield. Having a mix allows your other skill to contribute as well.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Fabricated posted:

On a casual play level it's kinda silly. On challenging yellowbar healer lunchboxes have a shitzillion HP when they're NOT throwing them INSIDE geometry so you almost can't shoot them. Running out of ammo multiple times as a gunner spec trying to kill a single boss heavy with a full group is interesting too.

So you're saying it's... challenging?

Sorry, you did set that one up perfectly. :)

It might just be that the new difficulty stuff is less than a week old, and people haven't had time to level (shd levels, not 31-40) and gear up for more difficult content.

I do agree with you, though - things feel overtuned right now. I don't think there was a PTS for TU 8 (not for Warlords, but the other stuff like gear and especially difficulty), but maybe there should have been. Hopefully they just erred on the side of over-doing it rather than under-doing it, and they'll drop things back down to more reasonable levels soon.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 8, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
God I missed NYC. DC was great but everything will always be a level below unless they model my hometown. Even the new music is back up to D1 standards.

Can you not extract Perfect talents for recalibration?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 8, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Can you not extract Perfect talents for recalibration?

Doesn't seem like it

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
You can not

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Are the Cleaners the most enjoyable enemies to fight in the game, or what? It's like they designed an enemy class made of nothing but exploding weak points and a very vulnerable big head.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Are the Cleaners the most enjoyable enemies to fight in the game, or what? It's like they designed an enemy class made of nothing but exploding weak points and a very vulnerable big head.

Their heavy is the worst though. Sometimes the bigass fuel tanks are just inert and no damage is done, it blows. Also did they get a range increase from Division 1?

Other than that I'd say they are good as a faction.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the hit angles for the cleaner heavy feel a little less generous than division 1 but then those things were almost impossible not to hit back then, so it's whatever. I like how they all have unique effects, either stopping the flamethrower or making them take their own mask off or whatever. I ... am not so thrilled with how fast they move, admittedly...

I have noticed fire damage is tuned up very hard right now, like I routinely die due to taking 2 million fire damage in just a couple seconds from either an Outcast or Cleaner flamethrower. Or worse, the exploder guys because by the time you hear the beeping it is straight up too late unless you're specifically tanking.

I'm sure it'll be easier once I actually get my builds in place but man it's weird after a year of sleeping through div 2 that I have to try now. Not bad, at all, but weird :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I'm confused about specialization points after hitting level 40. I've done multiple bounties and gotten multiple 'level ups' since I hit level 40, but I've not gotten a single specialization point, nor a single cache.

Are caches on max-level 'levels' gone now? How do I get specialization points if bounties and levels aren't giving them? Do I only get that stuff if I go back to DC?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Just got to WONY. Boy they sure like guys who run straight at you with shields.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Locator posted:

So I'm confused about specialization points after hitting level 40. I've done multiple bounties and gotten multiple 'level ups' since I hit level 40, but I've not gotten a single specialization point, nor a single cache.

Are caches on max-level 'levels' gone now? How do I get specialization points if bounties and levels aren't giving them? Do I only get that stuff if I go back to DC?

Sounds like a bug, there are a few involved with this but just to be sure -- have you finished the WONY story? That unlocks the post-40 leveling system, not just tapping the level itself

Hyperactive posted:

Welcome to fighting Cleaners! It gets worse when you meet a certain heavy enemy! :v:

Shoot em in the ankles to stagger and then they're nice and easy

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Hyperactive posted:

The Hive, and the cluster bombs to a lesser extent, are your friends with those idiots.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Psion posted:

Sounds like a bug, there are a few involved with this but just to be sure -- have you finished the WONY story? That unlocks the post-40 leveling system, not just tapping the level itself

Ah, that's the part I was missing. No, I haven't finished the last couple of story missions. Guess I'll do that instead of going on so many side-trips. Thanks.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tbh for what its worth, running right up in the enemies face is the exact MO of shield builds for players too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hyperactive posted:

Shoot their feet, that causes them to stagger and open up the shield so you can shoot them in the face. Worst case you can just kill them by chopping their feet off with bullets. It does get more difficult with the yellow turds who just ignore that you are mag-dumping into one of their ankles.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are shotguns... good now? I have one as a backup to my LMG with no specialization bonuses and they all take big chunks out of elites, though granted I'm on Story difficulty right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Locator posted:

Ah, that's the part I was missing. No, I haven't finished the last couple of story missions. Guess I'll do that instead of going on so many side-trips. Thanks.

Yeah, I hope it fixes your problem. I don't know if it will but it can't hurt!