Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I was talking about the the writing and the plot rather than the quality of the reading and the VA. Of course it's all second-hand opinions so your mileage may vary.

Anyway, my point is, that if you are not into the audiobooks, some of the initial characters (up to Flight of the Einseinstein iirc) dissapear entirely and suddenly reappear entirely different many books later, especifically in Vengeful Spirit. Honestly the entire line of the Errant-Knights feels entirely skippable, just read a couple plot summaries when they appear and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm experiencing Moderate-to-Severe Hype re: "Warhammer Crime". Is Chris Wraight one of the good ones?

:ohdear::hf::cop:

E: Oh, he's Vaults of Terra. He's one of the best. :woop:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The Emperor's Legion
Wrath of Iron
Lords of Silence
Battle of the Fang

I'd say he's earned a spot in the top 3 with ADB and Abnett.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ego-bot posted:

The Emperor's Legion
Wrath of Iron
Lords of Silence
Battle of the Fang

I liked Vaults of Terra 1 and 2 and (even though I'm fairly :flaccid: on representations of 8 Foot Tall Post-Human Killing Machines generally) he did a p.deece job making the Custode whats-his-name in Vaults seem interesting so I'm probably going to read the Watchers books (they're like a parallel narrative to the Vaults books right?)

So yeah, one of the good ones.

E:

Ego-bot posted:

I'd say he's earned a spot in the top 3 with ADB and Abnett.

You misspelled "Ian Watson" there, bro.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 4, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wanna do some crime?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DO I EVER!

:peanut:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Be grim, do crimes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is Nemesis worth reading, or should I just skip to the next book?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Skiiiiiiiiiip.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Nemesis is the perfect combination of bad writing, stupid plot and retconned events. It does have some interesting bits on Terra though at the start.

If you are a fanboy of the Assassins then read it, otherwise skip.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What are the biggest retcons in HH so far? I remember hearing some of the shittier books like Outcast Dead are pretty much totally retconned but what events actually changed in the greater narrative?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Improbable Lobster posted:

What are the biggest retcons in HH so far? I remember hearing some of the shittier books like Outcast Dead are pretty much totally retconned but what events actually changed in the greater narrative?

*Starts screaming about Ollanius Pius having actually being a mortal of woman born until the Sister Hospitaller pulls out her taser and bundles me off to the Hospice of Saint Bastian...

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Improbable Lobster posted:

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's the whole "GC-era Imperium was secular". Earlier editions suggested the Emperor was always worshippes as a God.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kevin DuBrow posted:

To what extent is this the case? I always thought that when people do things like pray to the Emperor, it might serve to reinforce their will or focus their psyker powers, but it wouldn’t actually lead to divine intervention from Big E. In new lore, though, we have stories like the one in which a group of non-psyker Sororitas pray for three days and somehow cause their temple to emit a world-shattering death beam.

The TLDR is that the Psychic Awakening has done something and that normally non psyker Imperial faithful are now off shooting pillars of holy fire and essentially causing Imperial warp entities to manifest in that sector of space, which seems kinda like a big deal.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 7, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, I always thought that the implication for the Sororitas were that either Big E or, at the very least, something in the warp, was actually sorta-kinda helping out the Sororitas when he had a chance and they were within his (massive) sphere of influence.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Technowolf posted:

Is Nemesis worth reading, or should I just skip to the next book?

Don't read the book, but listen to the audiobook.
Jonathan Keeble actually makes it work.

Man can turn poo poo into gold with his range and voice.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9wV2sGlXjY

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Omg. At a kids birthday and all i wanna do is watch this

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The intro dedicating it as a monument to the older fans of the true grimdark universe, inspired by the novels and the physical tabletop since 1987, encapsulating its essence against modern tides is a bit of a red flag.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vadoc posted:

The intro dedicating it as a monument to the older fans of the true grimdark universe, inspired by the novels and the physical tabletop since 1987, encapsulating its essence against modern tides is a bit of a red flag.

Yeah that's pretty questionable seeing as 40k hasn't actually gotten less grimdark

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I've been into warhams since the early nineties and I don't think it's changed all that much

I guess it's about ethics in grim darkness or something

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like the demons phasing in and out of reality. I haven’t seen that in any of the fan made movies or whatever before, but it’s mentioned often in the books. I also didn’t really understand what the heck was going on but it looked cool

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I like the demons phasing in and out of reality. I haven’t seen that in any of the fan made movies or whatever before, but it’s mentioned often in the books. I also didn’t really understand what the heck was going on but it looked cool

A lot of people talking and things going on that seem to be missing a lot of context. I assumes I would know whats going on if I'd read a giant stack of supplementary materials but lmao

Vadoc posted:

See my eyes just glazed over all that and I got the gist this was set during the Heresy and I skipped ahead to where things started actually moving.

And things barely moved... in a lot of ways.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

I hate to say it as the creator obviously put tons of effort in, but I found this disappointing. 20 minutes is a lot of time to ask for what you get. The animations were cool and some of the concepts (like the demons phasing in and out) were novel to me, but it's really got to go somewhere. Compare it to what you get with Astartes - Part Two in 1m10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGPMJ8A0QY

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

What utter garbage. Astartes and Helsreach were other one man projects and completely blow this away.

This is someone who wants to hyper focus on the violence of the 30/40k universes to the loss of every other effort he made. This is done apparently to show how mature his material is over everyone else's work, and it's just masturbatory crap.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Disappointing. It’s like a bunch of drawings of grimdark, that somehow is 20 minutes of nothing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SardonicTyrant posted:

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's the whole "GC-era Imperium was secular". Earlier editions suggested the Emperor was always worshippes as a God.

That uh, would be pretty major, yeah

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Immanentized posted:

What utter garbage. Astartes and Helsreach were other one man projects and completely blow this away.

This is someone who wants to hyper focus on the violence of the 30/40k universes to the loss of every other effort he made. This is done apparently to show how mature his material is over everyone else's work, and it's just masturbatory crap.

The violence wasn't very good at that.
There was a lot of focus on the arena fighting and especially the guy hanging from the wall on hooks but none of that amounted to anything. He screams "Bakal!" and it'd be great to know who that is and why it deserves being yelled out with rage and all. FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON ULTRA VIOLENT GRIMDARK!

I will say the opening proper was okay, with the shots of aftermath to grisly void combat, music and voice overs to give some context and gravitas. And it's been posted already that the demons lingering about everywhere as being a cool idea also. But this stuff is immediately followed by corridor walking and people speaking an unknown language. What is going on? please tell me. There's an intruder alarm going off and it felt like that was an immediate concern but it just goes by the way side and there is a shot of some Eldar just kinda looking about.

The mother and baby going all Annihilation/Color Out of Space felt out of place. Why do they have her in a cell? I mean if they showed that the demons and heretics found the situation humorous I'd buy that but it's just bargain bin shock value.

The narrative should be tightened by focusing on the astartes and neophyte in the holding cells. WHY are they there and because of their situation WHAT are they planning to do about it? WHO they are could be a lot better exposition'd by the bad guys monologue. As it is his taunts mean nothing, I don't know who these guys are or why any of the barbs being jabbed at them mean cause there is no context. The dialogue is just garbage that focuses on snappy bullshit with no substance.

I could go for days but I'll stop now.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 8, 2020

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

MariusLecter posted:

I could go for days but I'll stop now.

Kudos for having more restraint than the video

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
Hi guys,
I need a recommendation. I dip in and out of reading 40k books over the years and to be honest forget what I've read and what I haven't. I've definitely read the Eisenhorn, Ravenor, GG and some of the early HH books (Some of the first 10). I need some new ones to read and the sheer number is daunting. Where should I go next, continue somewhere randomly with HH? Or are there some other good series I haven't spotted? Sorry for being a noob, the OP hasn't been updated in a while.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
My hot take is that 40k has not become less grimdark, just more humorless.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
It’s very funny to me when nerds bray about maturity (or grimdarkness here), and then immediately show their idea of mature is just hyperviolence and saying gently caress a lot. I thought that was mature when I was 12, too.

Or they think 40k is getting less grimdark and more SJW because there’s more women characters being written in, which is an actual criticism I’ve read about ADB. :negative:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Marin Karin posted:

It’s very funny to me when nerds bray about maturity (or grimdarkness here), and then immediately show their idea of mature is just hyperviolence and saying gently caress a lot. I thought that was mature when I was 12, too.

Or they think 40k is getting less grimdark and more SJW because there’s more women characters being written in, which is an actual criticism I’ve read about ADB. :negative:

The howling over a woman narrating the Spears of the Emperor book was extremely stupid, among other things to do with ADB's female characters

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Angry Lobster posted:

My hot take is that 40k has not become less grimdark, just more humorless.

8th edition is changing that somewhat with Games Workshops willingness to work with other people again and the Regimental Standard being a Thing.

I mean we're getting a Crimsons Skies: Ork edition game complete with heavy metal riffs.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

franchise1 posted:

Hi guys,
I need a recommendation. I dip in and out of reading 40k books over the years and to be honest forget what I've read and what I haven't. I've definitely read the Eisenhorn, Ravenor, GG and some of the early HH books (Some of the first 10). I need some new ones to read and the sheer number is daunting. Where should I go next, continue somewhere randomly with HH? Or are there some other good series I haven't spotted? Sorry for being a noob, the OP hasn't been updated in a while.

The two Watchers of the Throne books and the two Vaults of Terra books are your best bet

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

D-Pad posted:

The two Watchers of the Throne books and the two Vaults of Terra books are your best bet

Thank you, buying them tomorrow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oh gently caress yeah. that could be fun. i have heard mixed things about horror and most of it its in sigmar universe which is dont care for. this could be at least interesting.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Immanentized posted:

The howling over a woman narrating the Spears of the Emperor book was extremely stupid, among other things to do with ADB's female characters

I'm about halfway through Spears of the Emperor, and I'm absolutely going to add the audiobook to my collection.
I'm kinda curious on how she is going to deal with voicing these comically-alpha-male tribal dinguses.

But seeing as the main narrator in the story, Helot Secundus, is a woman, I'm not sure why it would be an issue for a woman to read the audiobook.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They love their absolute fascism male power fantasies and some mod their models to be actual SS units. There is no time or use for women in the grimdark other than how they end up killed and tortured at best, or far worse.
If only these downtrodden fans could live in the 40K universe they would surely be Spehs Mahrines or even an Inquisitor with unlimited power. They are Hard men making hard decisions!

They'd probably be more useful as a lobotomized servitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Vadoc posted:

They love their absolute fascism male power fantasies and some mod their models to be actual SS units. There is no time or use for women in the grimdark other than how they end up killed and tortured at best, or far worse.
If only these downtrodden fans could live in the 40K universe they would surely be Spehs Mahrines or even an Inquisitor with unlimited power. They are Hard men making hard decisions!

They'd probably be more useful as a lobotomized servitor.

I mean, that's also true in the grim darkness of the far present, though?