Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pewdiepie posted:

Feel free to explain your reasons.

Well he clearly needs to go to sex prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Pewdiepie posted:

Feel free to explain your reasons.

sure thing boss...

A police investigator's duty is to gather evidence to support the arrest and prosecution of their suspect. They are not constables on patrol and arent supposed to arrest people based on their moral opinions. Confessions are usually not admissable without evidence as many people confess to crimes they dont commit for various reasons.

At the time you are able to arrest Klassje, you have no evidence that she has done anything to result in the deaths of anyone, the tribunal and you havent even met Ruby yet.

The tribunal itself is already explained to you by Joyce so by any logic, if you want to arrest Klassje for the in-hindsight events of the tribunal, you shoukd also be arresting Joyce. She also tells you who the other merc is. Police dont arrest people for pre-emptive crimes.

Klassje is guity of many things such as lying and tampering with evidence, but pretty much everyone does too including all of the Hardies, Evrart, Elizabeth, Cuno and the guy who steals the armor. Are you there to arrest everyone in the town or to solve a murder?

Your character in the game is also grossly negligent in being intoxicated on the job and leaving the body for 3 days. I guess you should resign from being an officer then.

Often times police investigators will willingly overlook minor crimes of their informants to catch the big fish or solve a murder. Arresting Klassje at the time you are able to would remove a major cooperative figure in the investigation (in hindsight shes playing you, but you dont know that at the time). She's worth more to the investigation free than otherwise and its not anyones fault that shes a master manipulator and bails before you get to confront her again.

Your turn to explain why arresting her is a failure of policing and hkw it would have benefited your investigation in any way without uaing hindsight knowledge.

e: Cuno also tells you that Cunesse murdered someone. Also you should arrest the old lady for harboring Ruby, a known drug dealer. And the ravers...

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 7, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

I'll chime in and say letting her go isnt a failure as a policeman, both in real life or in the context of how the citizen's militia works in this gameworld.

That being said, I did try to arrest Garte for trying to make me pay the hostel bill because gently caress that guy.

garte's alright

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pewdiepie posted:

I think I understand what you wrote better than you do. To summarize - cops aren't Judge Dredd. You assess evidence, and arrest a suspect if there is supporting evidence for a crime. From there on it is out of the cop's hands. That's what a good cop is. Anything else is a fundamental misunderstanding. If you let Klassje go, then your Harrier failed massively in his duty as a policeman.

Cryptofascist.

Edit: You don't understand what law and order is for.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 7, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
*Cuffing Cuno and Cunoesse and shoving them in the back of Kim's car*

Look I'm just doing my duty as a policeman , I'm just doing my job kids. You broke the law and that's all there is to this.

You're allowed to respond to this post.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Look I'm just doing my duty as a policeman , I'm just doing my job kids. You broke the law and that's all there is to this.

Kids are for punching.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

sure thing boss...

A police investigator's duty is to gather evidence to support the arrest and prosecution of their suspect. They are not constables on patrol and arent supposed to arrest people based on their moral opinions. Confessions are usually not admissable without evidence as many people confess to crimes they dont commit for various reasons.

At the time you are able to arrest Klassje, you have no evidence that she has done anything to result in the deaths of anyone, the tribunal and you havent even met Ruby yet.

The tribunal itself is already explained to you by Joyce so by any logic, if you want to arrest Klassje for the in-hindsight events of the tribunal, you shoukd also be arresting Joyce. She also tells you who the other merc is. Police dont arrest people for pre-emptive crimes.

Klassje is guity of many things such as lying and tampering with evidence, but pretty much everyone does too including all of the Hardies, Evrart, Elizabeth, Cuno and the guy who steals the armor. Are you there to arrest everyone in the town or to solve a murder?

Your character in the game is also grossly negligent in being intoxicated on the job and leaving the body for 3 days. I guess you should resign from being an officer then.

Often times police investigators will willingly overlook minor crimes of their informants to catch the big fish or solve a murder. Arresting Klassje at the time you are able to would remove a major cooperative figure in the investigation (in hindsight shes playing you, but you dont know that at the time). She's worth more to the investigation free than otherwise and its not anyones fault that shes a master manipulator and bails before you get to confront her again.

Your turn to explain why arresting her is a failure of policing and hkw it would have benefited your investigation in any way without uaing hindsight knowledge.

Sure more than happy to give it a whirl.

Klassje is a really well written character with a great moral dilemma based on inadequate information. Its a tough decision, I definitely had to step back and think about it. On one hand nobody wants to arrest an innocent, but on the other hand the testimony is inconsistent and Klassje has been acting to impede Harry's progress on the case. You're allowed to consult with Kim - extremely by the book cop - following the interrogation and he wonders why she hasn't been arrested yet. I'm not about to reinstall and go plumbing through my saves for the exact dialogue but I believe when I arrested her the charges given included obstruction and tampering both charges which I feel did have substantiated evidence and significantly impacted the murder case (as well as create the conflict that drives the entire plot).

She wasn't arrested for any murder in the past present or the future. With that in mind Joyce is in the clear.

I did manage to figure out Klassje's manipulation during the interrogation.

As far as the Hardy boys & Elizabeth, Evrart, and Cuno:
Cuno's an useful informant. I also think he's funny. His crimes are minor and get overlooked.
Hardie's and Elizabeth were cleared of suspicion following questioning.
I never talked to Evrart again beyond the initial conversation and didn't find my gun.
Cryptofascist guy I didn't have enough points in yellow to notice his armor but I probably would have punished him too given the chance. Do you get the chance?
Other criminals - I talked the anodic dance musicians into giving up the drugs factory idea. Ruby's storyline was tragic.

Harry's bender is a plot device than anything - obviously its something the player has no control over. He shouldn't have been waving his gun around in the bar threatening suicide, he shouldn't have derelicted his duty, driven his patrol car into the canal, etc. Harry probably shouldn't be a cop at this point in his life but he gets results, drat it! Human can opener. In the end its a video game and overall the bender is a fresh take on the cliche amnesiac protagonist.

I guess overall I wouldn't classify Klassje's crimes (directly related to the investigation, not her past, not the tribunal) as minor.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Still waiting for you to explain your reasoning.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Cryptofascist.

Edit: You don't understand what law and order is for.

I think you're mostly acting out of bad faith, but if you feel you aren't I'd love to hear why you think I'm a cryptofascist.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I think these discussions are mutually beneficial for all when we stick to explaining why we made the decisions we made instead of telling others they are wrong (Im also guilty of this).

This is a very well written game and its intended for different people to interpret and react to these events in different ways both from a pwrsonal level and depending on what type of character they want to play.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

I think these discussions are mutually beneficial for all when we stick to explaining why we made the decisions we made instead of telling others they are wrong (Im also guilty of this).

This is a very well written game and its intended for different people to interpret and react to these events in different ways both from a pwrsonal level and depending on what type of character they want to play.

This!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you have to punch cuno to assert dominance

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

I think you're mostly acting out of bad faith, but if you feel you aren't I'd love to hear why you think I'm a cryptofascist.

Your name is Pewdiepie and you have swastikas in your avatar. Like, I'm not even the person making the claim, but at this point it seems like it's your job to explain that.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Your name is Pewdiepie and you have swastikas in your avatar. Like, I'm not even the person making the claim, but at this point it seems like it's your job to explain that.

Fyad namechange, somebody else bought me the avatar. It is what it is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How do you not know of the concept of redtext after 13 years on these here dead and gay?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I feel that the cryptofascist gives us a similar situation as Klasje.
We can fine him for breaking into a garbage can, which is far fetched enough that we are essentially fining him for being a cryptofascist.
But later we find out that he actually stole the armor, but we can't adjust his punishment based on finding out Garry's actual crime.

Klasje is in a similar situation, where what we know is only technically enough to arrest her especially if we believe her story about the Moralintern.
Later we find out how hard she threw Ruby under the bus, which makes her much more guilty then anything we knew about before. And we can't change our decision.

Now personally I was planing to arrest her in the evening after I found out she was lying. But before doing that I went to meet the Sunday friend. And after that I decided that screwing over the Moralists is the only moral decision.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pewdiepie posted:

Read back your own posts here dude.

Pewdiepie posted:

Cryptofascist guy I didn't have enough points in yellow to notice his armor but I probably would have punished him too given the chance. Do you get the chance?

This video is fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk5xnEL8mYg

VictualSquid posted:

Now personally I was planing to arrest her in the evening after I found out she was lying. But before doing that I went to meet the Sunday friend. And after that I decided that screwing over the Moralists is the only moral decision.

This.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jack Trades posted:

How do you not know of the concept of redtext after 13 years on these here dead and gay?

It's hard to imagine having a swastika avatar for years and never deciding to spend the $5 to fix it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's a tradition at that point. it's just traditionalism.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pewdiepie posted:

cliche amnesiac protagonist.

Is it really that much of a cliche? I can name three video games and one movie (Disco Elysium, Planescape Torment, Amnesia The Dark Descent, Memento) that do it. There's probably other examples I've forgotten or am unaware of, but I feel like it takes a bit more than "has been done before a handful of times" to be a cliche when pretty much every plot device imaginable has been done before at this point

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Beamed posted:

It's hard to imagine having a swastika avatar for years and never deciding to spend the $5 to fix it.

Nobody has a swastika avatar that hasn't earned it, too.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
at least your new one has the swastika being beaten up but pewdiewhatever just loving loves being a nazi i guess in order to preserve the grand history of the not at all lovely and morbidly embarrassing place called FYAD

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pewdiepie posted:

cliche amnesiac protagonist.

Wafflecopper posted:

There's probably other examples I've forgotten

lol

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The guy with the salami stole it from his friend, which is a crime, but nobody wants to arrest him because he bribes you with a slice, which another crime.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i passed the check to convince that old guy to give me his sandwich but then i let him keep it because i felt bad

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i passed the check to convince that old guy to give me his sandwich but then i let him keep it because i felt bad

roping Rene along to get that drat sandwich only to break his heart (lol) when you give the big reveal was great

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nosfereefer posted:

how do you feel about price stability?

That's a pretty broad question, but I think I know what you're getting at because economic instability has been an issue with working class people throughout Soviet/Russian history, even recently as well, causing the working class to distrust democracy and free markets, and arguably one of the any things that lead to the collapse of the Soviet Union. However, as someone who doesn't know poo poo about economics and who lives in the US, I'm just worried about like, free healthcare and education among other things and can't really give you an answer that I'm satisfied with, myself.

Wafflecopper posted:

Is it really that much of a cliche? I can name three video games and one movie (Disco Elysium, Planescape Torment, Amnesia The Dark Descent, Memento) that do it. There's probably other examples I've forgotten or am unaware of, but I feel like it takes a bit more than "has been done before a handful of times" to be a cliche when pretty much every plot device imaginable has been done before at this point

It kind of is in RPGs, not saying it's bad, but I feel like a ton of FF games, V, VI, VII and probably more but those are the only ones I've played, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, maybe more. I've just been playing Bayonetta, and while the story made my eyes roll into the back of my head, she has amnesia at the start, Bioshock was free on PS Plus so I started one of them then deleted it, he's got amnesia, in The Last Guardian when you wake up in the cave with Trico you have no idea how you've gotten there plus you have a shitload of tattoos all over your body, Breath of the Wild...

imhotep fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 8, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

It's a cliche but it's a great cliche and always awesome.

See: Zelazny's Amber series

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Imhotep posted:

That's a pretty broad question, but

we've got a live one

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a cliche but it's a great cliche and always awesome.

See: Zelazny's Amber series

It's useful for video games, especially fantasy ones, because it allows you a way to introduce the player to the setting in a way that doesn't come off as weird awkward exposition between characters that should already know all of this information. The problem is it also introduces a plot hook that needs to be resolved in some fashion (why you have amnesia in the first place) and the resolution to this question is not always very satisfying. I think it's those examples people think of when they think of the amnesia cliche being "overused". Either that or they just put too much focus on "I have to get my memory back!" and nothing else is going on.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Beamed posted:

Lowtax is a good friend who needs all the money he can get

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 8, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nosfereefer posted:

we've got a live one

[Authority - Medium: Failure] Establish authority, yeah! You can post with the big boys, on this comedy forum. Also, you're poo poo.

(Turn to lieutenant) Kim, I need your gun.

Kim: Why?

Everybody, calm down, this is just a demonstration. Kim, the gun?

Kim: But.. I don't want to give you my gun.

Trust me Kim, I am merely flesh.

Authority: Good, now point the gun in your mouth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's useful for video games, especially fantasy ones, because it allows you a way to introduce the player to the setting in a way that doesn't come off as weird awkward exposition between characters that should already know all of this information. The problem is it also introduces a plot hook that needs to be resolved in some fashion (why you have amnesia in the first place) and the resolution to this question is not always very satisfying. I think it's those examples people think of when they think of the amnesia cliche being "overused". Either that or they just put too much focus on "I have to get my memory back!" and nothing else is going on.

Fire Emblem Awakening has a twofer when the amnesiac protagonist's kid also has amnesia. 'You wake up with amnesia' is an incredibly common stock plot for video games in particular, though it's not quite as overused as it used to be.

I think the detective in particular is meant to be an allusion to The Nameless One.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

itry posted:

We don't know what the people in the Shiver check are going to do, just that they're there (iirc).

Honestly, even Shivers could be compromised. But I don't feel like the Moralintern executing her is something that's really up for debate - one could hardly think of a more despicable enemy of ze price stabilitié than a corporate spy with who knows what still in her head. I'd like to know what the sunday friend says if you turn her in, but I'm going to guess it'd be nothing of use.

With this in mind, arresting her is out of the question.

danbo fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 8, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wafflecopper posted:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmnesiacHero

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

so, only a cliche if you consume anime or anime-inspired video games

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

danbo posted:

Honestly, even Shivers could be compromised.

If the city itself is compromised, what the gently caress are you even fighting for?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Horizon Burning posted:

so, only a cliche if you consume anime or anime-inspired video games

There's a lot of video games that do it, period. The Witcher, KOTOR, Cave Story, Geneforge, just off the top of my head. Like half the final fantasy games. A bunch more jrpgs in general.

Certainly enough to consider it a trope, especially within the RPG genre, what with jrpgs making up the bulk of it.

Although just the fact that Disco Elysium takes it from Planescape would probably qualify it as a trope all on its own.

Oh God why am I weighing in on this, I could be doing literally anything else other than having a conversation about tropes.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 8, 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pretty sure the concept of an amnesiac protagonist is a lot older than video games, and for a good reason. The main issue with it is that it is indeed a trope at this point, and so deploying it means you need to be doing something special with it or else your work becomes schlock. I feel that, in this, they succeeded. It is in fact the 2nd best deployment of amnesia in a medium I've seen, the first being, of course, the soap opera Passions, which is one of the highest achievements of culture yet known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

yeah, I can't think of any other games where you're an amnesiac because your character was such a fuckup that they drank themselves into brain damage