Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would consider it a good wink at the camera if O'Brian gets a cameo and he's literally the only character well adjusted and loving life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I frequently used to put on Voyager to fall asleep. The only episode that routinely woke me up was the one where Kes starts screaming murder when her psychic powers boil Tuvok alive

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drunk in Space posted:

Even better: their dead son, Thad, appears to have been named after Riker's Civil War ancestor, Thaddius.

Yea I got that right away.

I'm pretty sure powering sheilds and scanners for a house doesn't take that much power. For the power they put out, even Warp Reactors aren't even that big.

Picard being a hobo adventure lends itself to going to DS9. Come on go visit it and show us what happened there. Maybe they could even get Michelle Forbes to come back?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The less Picard touches the better.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I hope that the Data twins' homeworld is Wesley's science project that gained sentience, the exocomps, and a no-longer sociopathic Lore all chilling out

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I didn't think it was literally the cabin having all those abilities, but the Troi Rikers probably have a tricked out shuttle parked next to it.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Janeway should have honestly been more Kirk-like.

I can't imagine that getting green-lit in 1995. It would've been fun as hell, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Janeway should have been a totally different character, yes. And actress.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Janeway was good, and Kate Mulgrew was great in the role.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You are wrong and you know you are wrong.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

The less Picard touches the better.

Too late, your childhood is ruined. Now you spent most of it stuffed into a locker AND Star Trek is bad now :(

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jesus, I literally don’t think I’ve ever seen a complaint about any fiction that was more stupid than being upset that Riker and Troi had a son who died. They aren’t wallowing in grief or anything. They went on to live their lives after Nemesis, and like many (most) people, had a life that was touched by tragedy. But while it was obviously incredibly difficult for them, they didn’t drown in sorrow, they had a still-alive child to raise and they moved on and made good with their lives. It’s excellent storytelling and characterisation to give them this complex experience when they totally could have got away with having Riker captain the Titan with nothing having changed in 20 years.

It’s idiotic to wish they had some pristine happy-ever-after, as if anything else would be a betrayal of Trek - the only parts of the franchise that were ever like that at all are the first couple of seasons of TNG, and those were the poo poo ones. In everything else the Star Trek future is a utopia where inequality, hunger, internal war, famine, etc are all solved but bad things can still happen. Things like, for instance, falling into a depression because your career imploded through no fault of your own, or your son dies.

I feel like there are two types of Star Trek fans:

One type who enjoys the show because it’s about interesting science-fiction ideas and moral philosophy, and to a certain degree the plots and characters.

The other type apparently enjoys it because it’s a soothing pablum, a beige miasma where all the main characters are nice to each other, and agree, and usually everything is wrapped up at the end of an episode, and you can watch it in smug moral superiority knowing that all of our heroes will always do the right thing for sure. And delude yourself that this is what Star Trek must be.

The latter are the bad ones.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm the kind that likes Star Trek

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hi I'm star trek! *turns baseball cap backwards, flashes baggies of oregano to people as if they can't see me do it* hey do you guys want to come over later and watch The Crow movies

I like parts of this show but it's squarely in dumb poo poo territory at this point and nobody's smarter than anybody else for enjoying it

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

This is an excellent post.

"Soothing pablum" is the perfect description for what Trek was to the people who actually enjoyed the formulaic reconstitution of plots down through Voyager and Enterprise. And honestly I'd extend that to what I perceive Orville to be.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 8, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Jesus, I literally don’t think I’ve ever seen a complaint about any fiction that was more stupid than being upset that Riker and Troi had a son who died. They aren’t wallowing in grief or anything. They went on to live their lives after Nemesis, and like many (most) people, had a life that was touched by tragedy. But while it was obviously incredibly difficult for them, they didn’t drown in sorrow, they had a still-alive child to raise and they moved on and made good with their lives. It’s excellent storytelling and characterisation to give them this complex experience when they totally could have got away with having Riker captain the Titan with nothing having changed in 20 years.

It’s idiotic to wish they had some pristine happy-ever-after, as if anything else would be a betrayal of Trek - the only parts of the franchise that were ever like that at all are the first couple of seasons of TNG, and those were the poo poo ones. In everything else the Star Trek future is a utopia where inequality, hunger, internal war, famine, etc are all solved but bad things can still happen. Things like, for instance, falling into a depression because your career imploded through no fault of your own, or your son dies.

I feel like there are two types of Star Trek fans:

One type who enjoys the show because it’s about interesting science-fiction ideas and moral philosophy, and to a certain degree the plots and characters.

The other type apparently enjoys it because it’s a soothing pablum, a beige miasma where all the main characters are nice to each other, and agree, and usually everything is wrapped up at the end of an episode, and you can watch it in smug moral superiority knowing that all of our heroes will always do the right thing for sure. And delude yourself that this is what Star Trek must be.

The latter are the bad ones.

People were annoyed that Hugh died in a cheap pointless way.

People are making fun of the show for predictably introducing every single character with an oh so tragic backstory.

That's the difference.

It wasn't badly acted or written (actual disease notwithstanding), but maybe it would have had more impact if it weren't following Raffi's drug addiction and angry estranged kid, Rios' hinted at violent end to his career, Seven's brutally murdered adopted kid, Jurati having to murder her lover, Soji's murdered sister and entire life being a lie. poo poo, even Narek hints at a tragic lost brother in ep 1

So sorry if we're taking bets as to what silly drama they'll cook up for the next guest star, to pass the time that would otherwise be discussing the plot that the show hasn't yet deemed fit to reveal.

But hey maybe you could quote one of these "upset that Riker and Troi had a son that died because Star Trek should only be happy" posts so we can see exactly the kind of fan you're railing against.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 8, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Threads full of people who like a show because it's good generally don't include long attacks against people who don't like the show.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

I wouldn't say it's stupid to point out weirdly placed melodrama in the form of "our son died of Plot Contrivance Disease". It's a dumb thing. It ruins any impact because it's so transparent. Their son was born and died to make the point: "banning synths had repercussions and it was dumb in the first place". Like, we know this already.

The show is all "aaaaugh synths attack let's ban 'em for no reason" and the audience is like "What do you mean they attacked? If they had sentience to attack then they were slaves before that. Did you idiots have slaves? Otherwise they're just tools like pliers and pliers aren't murderers that's silly. Who actually did the drat thing? You haven't solved anything, this is a whole thing why is the entire Federation ignoring everything about this why won't you people think or talk about things???"

Consider if Thud was old enough to be in Starfleet and ended up at Mars because his dad was always saying "be a good boy and help others" and "Picard is the best, he's too big to fail" and got blowed up. That could have also felt dumb and cheap and manipulative because "oh of course he ended up dying because of Picard's gently caress up". This is waaaaaay dumber. He got a made up virus thing with an insanely convenient cure as its the thing this show just happens to be entirely focused on.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

"Soothing pablum" is the perfect description for what Trek was to the people who actually enjoyed the formulaic reconstitution of plots down through Voyager and Enterprise. And honestly I'd extend that to what I perceive Orville to be.

100% agree about the Orville. Seth Mcfarlane can just go home for all I care.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Also, this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm really pissed off that they just killed off Hugh for no reason. I'm really hoping that this is a The Dictator type situation where Romulans keep killing borgs and then they are just carted off to a secret part of the cube, revived and they just live a normal life over there. They didn't have to kill him off just to get 7 back in the show. He could have just said they needed to use a type of borg technology that required two XBs and then Elnor says "I just found this calling card thing from that other borg lady, she might help us."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Arglebargle III posted:

Threads full of people who like a show because it's good generally don't include long attacks against people who don't like the show.

Also, normal people don't usually hang around threads for more than a few posts to keep ranting about a show they hate.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is an excellent post.

Sometimes you want that smooth. For some people that's NCIS. For others it was star trek.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

GoutPatrol posted:

Sometimes you want that smooth. For some people that's NCIS. For others it was star trek.

And that's fine. I'll look down my nose at it, but it is an entirely valid desire. The problem is when people take a militant stance that it was the one form that Trek can or should ever take.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I watched all of TNG and Voyager back in the day. I never watched DS9. Does it hold up? I loved tng and have fond memories of voyager as I was a kid and seven of nine was my first crush.

I don’t think I’ll bother with ENT. Does that have any redeeming qualities?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

teacup posted:

I watched all of TNG and Voyager back in the day. I never watched DS9. Does it hold up?
It's not as great as people make it out to be and it gets real dumb near the end but, like TNG, it's mostly pretty good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
DS9 is good and is worth watching. ENT is ok if you have nothing else to watch. If you go in knowing it's a half rear end attempt at a trek prequel and don't roll your eyes and shout "NOT MY TREK" whenever they say "electric hull plating at 75%" instead of shields or whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

teacup posted:

I watched all of TNG and Voyager back in the day. I never watched DS9. Does it hold up? I loved tng and have fond memories of voyager as I was a kid and seven of nine was my first crush.

I don’t think I’ll bother with ENT. Does that have any redeeming qualities?

Certain characters on Enterprise are really good and by that I largely mean Trip, T’Pol, Shran and Hoshi in a pinch. Oh, and Phlox. Phlox managed to be a Good Neelix. Season 4 is legitimately good and Season 3 is fairly passable if you can stop rolling your eyes at the blatant post-9/11 TV era trappings.

Beyond that it’s largely just a thing that happens in the Star Trek universe that 90% of the rest of Trek utterly ignores because it’s a prequel that came after everything else and then killed Trek on TV for a decade and change.

It’s the worst Trek TV series, but if you’re utterly desperate it still is Star Trek on some level if that’s enough to get you through the door.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Enterprise is bad but it’s still better than Voyager because at least there was an attempt to do something other than coasting on autopilot for seven seasons. I’d say the Seven/Doc stuff on Voyager is slightly better than the best of Enterprise, but it’s far from a huge quality gap. Enterprise also has Jeffrey Combs over Voyager.

Without recommending anything from the 3rd season since a) it’s almost all one long serialized arc and b) most of it hasn’t aged well because it’s such a dated response to 9/11, here’s what’s worth watching in Enterprise:

Season 1
Broken Bow
The Andorian Incident
Shadows of P’Jem
Shuttlepod One

Season 2
Carbon Creek
Minefield
Dead Stop
The Catwalk
First Flight

Season 4
Season 4 is mostly broken up into 2-3 episode arcs with an occasional stand-alone in between them

Augments arc:
- Borderlands
- Cold Station 12
- the Augments

Vulcan Arc:
- The Forge
- Awakening
- Kir’Shara

Observer Effect
Romulan Arc:
- Babel One
- United
- The Aenar

In A Mirror, Darkly Parts 1&2
Demons/Terra Prime

None of this is mind-blowing stuff, but it’s not nearly as bad as its reputation suggests and some of it is objectively good.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 8, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Enterprise is bad but it’s still better than Voyager because at least there was an attempt to do something other than coasting on autopilot for seven seasons. I’d say the Seven/Doc stuff on Voyager is slightly better than the best of Enterprise, but it’s far from a huge quality gap. Enterprise also has Jeffrey Combs over Voyager.

Without recommending anything from the 3rd season since a) it’s almost all one long serialized arc and b) most of it hasn’t aged well because it’s such a dated response to 9/11, here’s what’s worth watching in Enterprise:

Season 1
Broken Bow
The Andorian Incident
Shadows of P’Jem
Shuttlepod One

Season 2
Carbon Creek
Minefield
Dead Stop
The Catwalk
First Flight

Season 4
Season 4 is mostly broken up into 2-3 episode arcs with an occasional stand-alone in between them

Augments arc:
- Borderlands
- Cold Station 12
- the Augments

Vulcan Arc:
- The Forge
- Awakening
- Kir’Shara

Observer Effect
Romulan Arc:
- Babel One
- United
- The Aenar

In A Mirror, Darkly Parts 1&2
Demons/Terra Prime

None of this is mind-blowing stuff, but it’s not nearly as bad as its reputation suggests and some of it is objectively good.

If you do watch anything from Season 3, the stand out episodes for it are Similitude, E2, and Azati Prime. I’d argue actually that Similitude is probably the best episode of Enterprise period given it’s story and some loving grade A acting from Conner Trinneer, Jolene Blalock, and Scott Bakula.

It was the episode that proved Enterprise was salvageable in Manny Coto’s hands and pretty much single handedly got it a 4th season.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Stratagem is also a cool one, doctor's orders too.
I loved the E2's second enterprise

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

oh but seriously I posted:

gently caress this i'm done

ugh i watched the rest of it because i am trash. make it even more derivative & hokey for season 2 CBS i deserve no less :negative:. evil romulan woman is a bad actor

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Am I the only one who got the feels when Picard met Troi and Riker?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For some reason I really like the cowboy planet episode of Enterprise.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Am I the only one who got the feels when Picard met Troi and Riker?

No? Are you reading the thread?

Everyone with a soul did. Those who watched TNG in their formative years, at least

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

People were annoyed that Hugh died in a cheap pointless way.

People are making fun of the show for predictably introducing every single character with an oh so tragic backstory.

That's the difference.

I never mentioned Hugh. I thought his death was disappointing - he’s a cool character and I wish they’d done more with him. And if they’re going to kill a legacy character, it seems very weird to do it in front of a brand-new guy who he’s known for ten minutes. ST: Picard is very far from a perfect show! It’s got a lot of problems, mainly to do with pacing and dialogue, which I mainly chalk up to Chabon’s novelist skillset not really lining up with the requirements for TV writing.

But this:

quote:

It wasn't badly acted or written (actual disease notwithstanding), but maybe it would have had more impact if it weren't following Raffi's drug addiction and angry estranged kid, Rios' hinted at violent end to his career, Seven's brutally murdered adopted kid, Jurati having to murder her lover, Soji's murdered sister and entire life being a lie. poo poo, even Narek hints at a tragic lost brother in ep 1

Wow, it’s almost as if “bad things happening to people” are the fundamental building blocks of what makes people’s personalities and the foundation of good charactisation. Almost as if there is a clear theme of “everyone has tragedy in their past” in the show, with a metatextual commentary of “remember those halcyon days when TNG was on the air? Yeah, well, we’ve all been through some poo poo since then”.

You are literally complaining that “why can’t our characters be happy?” “Why can’t this new show be just like how I remember the old shows to be - white noise that some people in this thread have mentioned they genuinely used to fall asleep, and that I apparently don’t actually remember very well because the best of those shows starred a man whose wife was indirectly murdered by the lead of the show it spun off from, and the survivor of a holocaust that ended days before the series started?”

“Why can’t I be ten years old any more?”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I wonder if the timing works out yet that the current crop of writers grew up watching Voyager and Enterprise, so to them, that’s what defines “Star Trek.”

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I never mentioned Hugh. I thought his death was disappointing - he’s a cool character and I wish they’d done more with him. And if they’re going to kill a legacy character, it seems very weird to do it in front of a brand-new guy who he’s known for ten minutes. ST: Picard is very far from a perfect show! It’s got a lot of problems, mainly to do with pacing and dialogue, which I mainly chalk up to Chabon’s novelist skillset not really lining up with the requirements for TV writing.

But this:

Wow, it’s almost as if “bad things happening to people” are the fundamental building blocks of what makes people’s personalities and the foundation of good charactisation. Almost as if there is a clear theme of “everyone has tragedy in their past” in the show, with a metatextual commentary of “remember those halcyon days when TNG was on the air? Yeah, well, we’ve all been through some poo poo since then”.

You are literally complaining that “why can’t our characters be happy?” “Why can’t this new show be just like how I remember the old shows to be - white noise that some people in this thread have mentioned they genuinely used to fall asleep, and that I apparently don’t actually remember very well because the best of those shows starred a man whose wife was indirectly murdered by the lead of the show it spun off from, and the survivor of a holocaust that ended days before the series started?”

“Why can’t I be ten years old any more?”

Yeah you sure got my number. Well done.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Comrade Fakename posted:

Just wanted to point out that in TNG, Captain Picard started dating the widow of his former first officer, who's death he caused. Big David and Bathsheeba vibe there.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Comrade Fakename posted:

I never mentioned Hugh. I thought his death was disappointing - he’s a cool character and I wish they’d done more with him. And if they’re going to kill a legacy character, it seems very weird to do it in front of a brand-new guy who he’s known for ten minutes.

Elnor's actor is a huge Trek nerd so I think the reaction from him is pretty genuine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheCenturion posted:

I wonder if the timing works out yet that the current crop of writers grew up watching Voyager and Enterprise, so to them, that’s what defines “Star Trek.”
Kirsten Beyer (who also writes for Disco) wrote several Trek novels for Voyager that take place after the end of the series