Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sadly, I have. :negative:

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Aw, don't feel bad. I paid good American dollars to see Howard The Duck when it came out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow, another Howard the Duck viewer!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Add me to the list. I was 8 and even at that age was left thoroughly unimpressed.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Felix the cat movie is weird and bad and yet awesome and amazing at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu_MY5-3XAg

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

PainterofCrap posted:

Aw, don't feel bad. I paid good American dollars to see Howard The Duck when it came out.

I bought it out of the like $5 bin at the dollar store a couple years ago since I hadnt seen it since I was a kid and man is that movie REAL BAD

Ive seen Ghost Ship too so the 15 are probably all here in AI

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I too saw Ghost Ship and Howard the Duck.

13 year old Slidebite had a bit of a crush on Lea Thompson though, big 80s hair and all, so that made up for some of the awfulness.

I'll add to the list The Love Guru. That was potentially the worst movie I've seen - maybe even worse than the other two.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Right. "Felix the Cat" is not "Fritz the Cat"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Vanagoon posted:

The Felix the cat movie is weird and bad and yet awesome and amazing at the same time.

Hell yeah :respek:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Laying pipe, the Popular Mechanics way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Trying to figure out the process those front two "thrusters" are trying to accomplish.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

steering, obv. you cut the one from the direction you want to turn.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Link to the magazine.

https://books.google.com/books?id=CtkDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

When bored, sometimes I will peruse old Popular Mechanics just to read about the "good old days". Because I'm old.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Vanagoon posted:

You need a lot of :420: and maybe some LSD to really watch that.

I've had that movie in my collection for ages though. :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Someone had to so the rest of us could be warned.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Vanagoon posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck i remember that weird CGI head at the beginning now. I had totally forgotten that this existed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

joat mon posted:

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSFjhWw4DNo&t=88s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This brings an all new definition to the phrase "coming in hot"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Today I learned that the entire crew survived the test (crash) landing. Coulda sworn I'd read they were lost. :unsmith:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The takeoff at 1:06 is also worth a gander.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Any landing you can walk away from, right?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
That is extremely metal.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

That is extremely metal.
It gets metaller.
It was so they could land, and then take off from here.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Looks like they either should have been closer to the ground when they fired those, or not fired the second set. They came down like a rock after the second burst, which is what broke the right wing and left landing gear.

Phanatic posted:

The takeoff at 1:06 is also worth a gander.

Also impressive. Took off like a rocket, as it were.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Looks like they either should have been closer to the ground when they fired those, or not fired the second set. They came down like a rock after the second burst, which is what broke the right wing and left landing gear.

Also impressive. Took off like a rocket, as it were.

You had to be on the ground to fire the second set. The pilots didn't trust the computer, so they fired them manually. Apparently the smoke and shock of the first set made it seem like they were on the ground when they fired the second set, still 20 feet up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

joat mon posted:

You had to be on the ground to fire the second set. The pilots didn't trust the computer, so they fired them manually. Apparently the smoke and shock of the first set made it seem like they were on the ground when they fired the second set, still 20 feet up.

Edit: To rephrase/clarify...the vertical rockets should have fired first, but didn't ignite. Then the upper pair, then after touchdown the remainder. I don't think the crew was aware the vertical rockets never lit, and the light/smoke/whatever from the upper rockets hosed up the crew's perception.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 17, 2020

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Unfortunately, I have yet another contribution to make.

But to follow up on the Forester's burst turbo oil return line, it ended up taking the better part of two weeks to get it back up and running since the parts the technician had initially ordered didn't fit. In any case, I had only lost 3/4 qt of oil and it ended up being less than $100 in parts and such so no real harm was done.

Now onto this morning's clusterfuck. Less than 10 yards after pulling out of the driveway in the Forester, I hear and feel a loud thud from the transmission tunnel as I was pulling away in second gear and a lot of shuddering. I pull off to the side and look underneath and am greeted with this.

After assessing that nothing else critical had broken, I slowly try to make my way back to my parking spot. I can't go too fast or else I get a lot of shuddering from what I guess is the center diff complaining that the viscous coupling isn't meant to send all power to the front wheels. As a result, I'm going as slow as I can while riding the clutch in first gear. On top of all of that, the shifter no longer points straight up in neutral since it looks like the driveshaft had smacked and dented the shifter linkage when it broke free. :flaccid:

Now that I think I know what an engaged viscous coupling feels like, I think I figured out what happened. The last time I drove the car, I noticed the driveline would shudder as I was pulling away from a stop while in first and second gear but would stop after getting to speed. My guess is that the joint had seized to the point that the transmission couldn't easily rotate the shaft while at a stand still until I got enough speed to unload the opposite end of the driveshaft as the rear wheels got moving.

In any case, it looks like I'm going to need a new driveshaft. If it weren't for the fact that the Forester has broken down near work or home instead of on the streets or highway or I haven't had to pay a lot to get the car towed and repaired, I would be done with this car. I guess I really should count myself loving lucky I broke down where I did and the car hasn't immolated itself or filled the crankcase with milkshake yet.

Despite COVID-19 and the associated insanity, I'm still busy at work making ambulances and emergency support vehicles (again I guess I should count myself fortunate) and haven't gotten around figuring out where or how to get the car fixed. And I still need to get around to throwing a cat on the exhaust to pass inspection but at least COVID-19 has granted me a two month extension to get that resolved.

Also, yesterday was my birthday so yah! :negative:

Really though , I'm counting myself fortunate to have things turn out the way they did and I've developed a newfound respect for my poverty spec Impreza for being so dependable but that's probably due to it having only half of the Forester's 200,000+ miles.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 20, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Happy birthday!

You’re going to need a new front yoke to go along with the seized cross bearing, unless they are included as part of the driveshaft assembly by Subraru.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sorry, that does suck and wish you for the best. How does the yoke look?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd bet the shuddering also comes from a driveshaft slapping around unconstrained.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd bet the shuddering also comes from a driveshaft slapping around unconstrained.

Certainly wouldn't help.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

That could be blamed for many of the world’s problems.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

That could be blamed for many of the world’s problems.

Ah to be young again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

As far as the catalyst issue, It absolutely has a catalytic converter. It’s on the downpipe off the turbo in the stock front location. It shouldn’t be difficult to find. Your inspection tech must have been in a hurry to get home that day.

Here’s the pic again showing exactly where it is. It’s marked SUBARU on the stock pipe and the aftermarket one has it in the same location.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 21, 2020

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I don't know about the MT, or the Forester in general, but I think the owner's manual in my old impreza instructed that if you needed to use a spare, you were supposed to put it on the rear and pull a fuse that sent power to the center diff to keep it from munching itself.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

ihop posted:

I don't know about the MT, or the Forester in general, but I think the owner's manual in my old impreza instructed that if you needed to use a spare, you were supposed to put it on the rear and pull a fuse that sent power to the center diff to keep it from munching itself.

Good luck getting anybody to play Tower of Hanoi on the side of the road if the flat is on the front, though

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

NoWake posted:

Good luck getting anybody to play Tower of Hanoi on the side of the road if the flat is on the front, though

Most cars these days are front heavy, so you can get the rear up in the air by cranking the jack all the way up on the forward point.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You put the spare on the rear first, then jack up the front and put the good one you took off on to replace the punctured one.

Though some of my cars the jack goes centrally and raises the entire side of the car anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.