Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
The new raid is out today, along with a bunch of itemization tweaks. Patch notes here.

(The patch boosts Champion attack DPS, so maybe my main will be useful again!)

This should also mean that the Minas Morgul update will be available in the store for lotro points soon, if not now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
There is no Minas Morgul quest pack, region or expansion available in the in-game store yet. I'll try again soon

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Minas Morgul and the Stout Axe Dwarf race are now in the in-game store.

2495 and 1000 TP respectively.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can I purchase just Minas Morgul, and the level 120 level boost?

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Looks like buying straight from the LOTRO website for cash, it's all bundled. I think $80 is the lowest one with Expansion/Level Boost.

It's separated out for the in-game LOTRO Store for LOTRO Points. The Minas Morgul expansion for 2495 LP is just the zone/instance cluster/raid. The 120 Valar boost is 6695 LP.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Level 105 on my champion, so just doing the Mordor content. This is much smoother and more fun than when I played it at launch. Enjoying this now just running around killing stuff.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whats a good solo/group class for just bombing through for the lore and solo questing? im ona lotr kick lately and would love to play around a bit with the game.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The best answer to this question is always hunter. A bit of CC, excellent single-target damage, and zone teleports. I prefer blue line so I can move without losing focus, but red line does slightly more dps.

Wardens also get zone teleports, the combo mechanic is fun, and they do better than hunters with groups of enemies. It's been ages since I dusted mine off, though, so I don't know which specialization line to take.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

queeb posted:

whats a good solo/group class for just bombing through for the lore and solo questing?

I’m playing the game in the same way, and so far the Warden has been amazing. I’m at lvl50 currently and can just wade into enemy camps and
mow everything down with little effort. Most elite mobs and group quests are soloable as well, and I’m not even very good at the game.

The gambit system is pretty easy to learn and you’ll memorize the combo skills as you earn them.

Also, you can switch between melee and ranged DPS with a single button, which is useful sometimes.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 7, 2020

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

Warden/Hunter both good

I am having a blast on my burglar. Been cruising through, haven't faced a quest or enemy I could not solo yet and I am 55. Gambler is the way to go for leveling. And the no slow from fall damage skill is to me more useful than warden and hunter ports.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Beornings are cool and good. Also, this week's freebie is a little xp boost, ENHXP.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

warden hurts my brain

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Are most people on Landroval as the OP says?

have the itch for an MMO and I don't want to play WoW again unless they do TBC and I'm not ready to start the grind of EQ again.

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water
I played back on Silverlode years ago. I tried to log on and do a transfer today, but there's no transfer button on the server select. Any ideas?

Edit: Nvm, saw that transfers are down indefinitely right now

Rivarz fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 8, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah everyone is on Landroval. We use to all be on Silverlode but the servers have all been consolidated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is it important to do all of the book quests, or can I skip the ones that require that I put down money for them?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

I said come in! posted:

Is it important to do all of the book quests, or can I skip the ones that require that I put down money for them?

I always skip a good deal of the book and I am VIP when I play. When you get to Esteldin there are a lot of "go here, now go here, now go back to that first place, now go here, back to first place again" chapters that are quite annoying unless you're a Hunter or Warden.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to get caught up with the expansions, I purchased the Helms Deep expansion, but other than Minas Morgul, thats the only other one I don't own. Bought it digitally through the LOTRO.com website, but I still don't have the expansion on my account, and its been 10 hours and no e-mail with a code to redeem it for my account. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Trying to get caught up with the expansions, I purchased the Helms Deep expansion, but other than Minas Morgul, thats the only other one I don't own. Bought it digitally through the LOTRO.com website, but I still don't have the expansion on my account, and its been 10 hours and no e-mail with a code to redeem it for my account. :v:

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing the expansions through the LOTRO store on their website? I am seriously confused by this one. I never got a digital code to redeem or instructions on what to do. Turbine was a better game developer. :sigh:

[edit]
Okay I actually figured this out finally with the help of another player. The purchase e-mails have a redeem code buried in it, and you need to redeem it through the in-game store. This isn't explained and is different from what i'm use to or would expect from a game dev operating such a long running and successful MMORPG.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 9, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, this game is fun, has a very DAOC feel to it.

Something that is annoying and perhaps there's a way to make it better/fix. Quests, they are good, but I can only actively track 5 at once which means unless I'm constantly swapping quests around I'm going to miss that there's a 6th quest in the little area I'm currently questing in. I looked for plugins that might get around the 5 limit, but didn't appear to be any.

Or is there a zone walkthrough that says to do quests in a certain order.

Also, character name is Olnelant if someone can invite me to guild.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 11, 2020

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
Can I get a Kinship invite? Ingame: Posasa

Thanks.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Finally finished Vol. I of the epic quest line. Mostly enjoyable, but gently caress ever doing books X-XV without access to quick travel and teleport skills. So glad I’m playing a Warden.

On to Moria! :getin:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

MF_James posted:

Something that is annoying and perhaps there's a way to make it better/fix. Quests, they are good, but I can only actively track 5 at once which means unless I'm constantly swapping quests around I'm going to miss that there's a 6th quest in the little area I'm currently questing in. I looked for plugins that might get around the 5 limit, but didn't appear to be any.

You can mouse over a given monster and it'll note in its tooltip if it's for a quest you are on regardless of whether or not it's active in your tracker, and you can right click your tracker and have it display the 5 closest to you. It's not really that big an issue, just display 5 closest whenever you finish one.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Lum_ posted:

You can mouse over a given monster and it'll note in its tooltip if it's for a quest you are on regardless of whether or not it's active in your tracker, and you can right click your tracker and have it display the 5 closest to you. It's not really that big an issue, just display 5 closest whenever you finish one.

Yeah I found the hover over thing, but thanks for the headsup about the right click thing, that's super helpful.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Double post but fuuuuuck it.

Can someone invite Olnelant to the kinship?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

MF_James posted:

Double post but fuuuuuck it.

Can someone invite Olnelant to the kinship?

Sure if you didn't get one already, I'm still playing the end game casually but not on SA in a while, sorry for the wait

Patch is tomorrow, some improvements to the raid, couple bug fixes, and most importantly the spring festival begins and has a new batch of housing items, cosmetic pets and a new elk mount too

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7996621#post7996621

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

servers still look to be down but saw this on the launcher

https://lotro.com/en/friends

quote:

All quests, instances, and skirmishes, including those in expansion packs, are open to everyone through April 30.
The Curator will be returning starting March 26 through April 30.
There will be a 10% virtue XP boost starting on March 26 through April 6.
The Baggins' Birthday event will be available March 26 through April 6.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DryGoods posted:

servers still look to be down but saw this on the launcher

https://lotro.com/en/friends

lotro.com posted:

'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

:unsmith:

Fittingly enough I've just started fighting the diseased fungus-orcs at the deepest levels of Moria. :stonklol:

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Make sure to wash your hands. And wash your filthy hobbit feet while your at it.

And dwarves for Sauron’s sake, groom your beards who knows what is festering in those things.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Wow, all xpacs free for the next month is pretty great. Might finally get my toon to Gondor.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Total newbie to the game here. What should I buy from the store? Thanks.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Level to at least 32ish before you buy anything. If you're sure that you like the game, pay for one month to permanently unlock a huge amount of stuff for every single character that you log into for that entire month. From the store itself, the Barter Wallet has always been at the top of the list, and probably some other stuff too that I'm forgetting right off hand.

All zones are free until the end of April, so you don't have to worry about any of those purchases atm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I think I last played this game when the area right after paths of the dead opened up and the level cap went to 100 or 105? I think the change to let you boost legendary item levels had happened too.

How are captains these days? The next highest level character I have is probably a champion in the 70s. Or a warden in the 50s.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

greasythepirate posted:

Total newbie to the game here. What should I buy from the store? Thanks.

Someone told me the riding skill is still locked out from the free status right now, so I'd probably look for that so you can ride around on a pony a bit quicker. I want to say it used to be 90 or 100 points, you could probably earn that by the mid level 20s.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think I last played this game when the area right after paths of the dead opened up and the level cap went to 100 or 105? I think the change to let you boost legendary item levels had happened too.

How are captains these days? The next highest level character I have is probably a champion in the 70s. Or a warden in the 50s.

Still the best group buffers, arguably second best tanks, and pretty average DPSers in the end game. Of the 3 classes you mentioned, captain would be the first one to get a raid invite.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
I found this, which seems to be a good deal for new players

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Online-Samwise-Download/dp/B00EUHVOW2/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Not really.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, I think I bought it years ago, but I'm not entirely certain. If I did, I bought it through the in-game store and it only applies to existing characters.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The Steely Dawn Starter Pack is a pretty good deal. It’s really cheap and gives you a set of cosmetic armor, 500
LotRO bucks and the Evendim content pack, which will cover all your leveling needs for at least 10 levels (I went from 31-43 without ever leaving the zone and I didn’t even do all of the quests and none of the instances).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Someone told me the riding skill is still locked out from the free status right now, so I'd probably look for that so you can ride around on a pony a bit quicker. I want to say it used to be 90 or 100 points, you could probably earn that by the mid level 20s.

Still the best group buffers, arguably second best tanks, and pretty average DPSers in the end game. Of the 3 classes you mentioned, captain would be the first one to get a raid invite.

I haven't seriously played for 13 months, so I'm out of the loop. Please tell me that Guardians are in their rightful place as the #1 tanking class and not Wardens.