Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ah, apparently you cant. Sucks. My plan was to free up the iridium sprinklers I have inside (and not have to harvest poo poo myself) and put them outside for more wheat.

Its unreal how often I'll only notice what day of the week it is when its Monday or Saturday, after I've missed the cart or the cooking show. 1.5 needs to have a smartwatch you can get with reminders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The auto feeder doesn't kick in until *after* the "is there food for the animals to eat?" check in the evening. So if you go to bed with the trough empty, the animals will be marked Not Fed and *then* the auto feeder will fill the trough. So if you ran out of hay, then bought some and put it in your silo but go to bed with the trough empty, in the morning the trough will be full and the animals will be grumpy (until they go eat grass, or eat hay at night.) To get them fed for that day you have to manually put hay in the trough.

Are you really so strapped for cash that you're resorting to planting/harvesting wheat to get hay? Each harvested wheat is 40% to also produce hay, meaning the cost per hay is 25g, versus 50g to just buy hay from Marnie. It's more profitable to use the crop space on hops/blueberries (summer) or cranberries/pumpkins (fall) or coffee beans (all the time) and just buy hay.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've grown coffee forever but I'm frustrated by all the harvesting the drat stuff. I guess I could just break down and buy the stuff but as I said I'm doing well off the beer from the wheat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

go trade rocks for fibre in the desert

think it's Tuesdays

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is there a good google doc checklist for collections that includes the stuff from the most recent patch?

Googling keeps bringing up 2 or more year old ones.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the best way to get seaweed? I need more seaweed to feed my fish pond addiction.

Speaking of fishponds, has anyone tested to see if automate chests can auto-collect from the ponds?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

LLSix posted:

What's the best way to get seaweed? I need more seaweed to feed my fish pond addiction.

Speaking of fishponds, has anyone tested to see if automate chests can auto-collect from the ponds?

There’s a very high chance of getting seaweed from the submarine game at the night market. That got me enough seaweed for five ponds last time

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

LLSix posted:

from the sea, op

specifically, you can forage it sometimes if you fix that bridge on the beach. otherwise, if the submarine ain't around, you're stuck just casting your rod into the sea to try and find some. take off your bait and tackle first

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just started playing this finally on Switch while waiting for my preloaded copy of Animal Crossing to unlock. Any non-spoilery beginner tips? I'm on day 15.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Make sure you're feeding the Quality Bundle in the community center because that's the only one you can be majorly screwed out of for a whole year and you want that greenhouse ASAP.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
He's not wrong, but alternatively, just play chill your first time through. There's no real rush for anything. And the beginning of the game is arguably the most fun. Just ask in here if you have specific questions, but the wiki is very complete if you're ok with spoilers.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
The other thing like the quality bundle is the red cabbage, which isn't growable till year two.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

LLSix posted:

Yeah automate does collect

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do you have to water fruit trees if they're in pots?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just started playing this finally on Switch while waiting for my preloaded copy of Animal Crossing to unlock. Any non-spoilery beginner tips? I'm on day 15.

Just have fun! You'll make mistakes and miss stuff but the progress always feels rewarding to me even when it's nowhere near optimal.

Here's something I wish I paid attention to:

You don't always need every item to complete a bundle at the community center. I sat on several bundles waiting for access to another resource when I could have completed them immediately.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Do you have to water fruit trees if they're in pots?

You can put fruit trees in pots?!?!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Apparently you can line off the edges of the greenhouse with fruit trees

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

codo27 posted:

Apparently you can line off the edges of the greenhouse with fruit trees

Yep, did that on my last save. Quite a few trees, at that. 3 of each kind. The wiki has an image that shows the optimal layout.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Here is the greenhouse, optimised for aesthetics:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ILL Machina posted:

just play chill your first time through. There's no real rush for anything.

That's a relief. I just finished my first Spring, and the suggestion upthread that the game was over in Year 3 sounded pretty alarming.

On the other hand it's going to be fairly implausible, finally getting good enough at weeding to go adventuring at 106 years of age...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

GotLag posted:

Here is the greenhouse, optimised for aesthetics:

I put 4 iridium sprinklers in the central bed with 6 quality and 2 basic sprinklers lining the edges, same coverage but only lost 4 planting spaces. Optimized for coverage not aesthetics obviously.

So do I need to water them or not? Also will they grow in the house?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

I put 4 iridium sprinklers in the central bed with 6 quality and 2 basic sprinklers lining the edges, same coverage but only lost 4 planting spaces. Optimized for coverage not aesthetics obviously.

So do I need to water them or not? Also will they grow in the house?

Fruit trees do not need to be watered, just remember to keep their 8 surrounding spaces clear until fully grown. Afaik they can't be planted in garden pots and so won't grow in your house.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fruit trees can be planted in pots as the chat and pictures above show, but what I'm asking, hopefully of someone who's done it and posted pictures, is do you have to water them?

gently caress it I'll try it myself tonight.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Those aren't in pots. You just slam them right on the greenhouse ground. You do not water them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Durr I'm a loving ejit, thanks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Oh dear me posted:

That's a relief. I just finished my first Spring, and the suggestion upthread that the game was over in Year 3 sounded pretty alarming.
the game is only 'over' insofar as you get your evaluation from grandpa on spring 1 year 3, and if you've been playing well you get a max rating and it's harder to care about some of the post game stuff.

the game will continue for as long as you keep loading up the save.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I've maybe dicked around a little here and there managing chests or eating something while the game idles in a menu but I'm only on Fall of Year 2 and 55 hours is. Even if I lose interest after Year 3 I definitely got a lot of mileage out of it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is there a good google doc checklist for collections that includes the stuff from the most recent patch?

Googling keeps bringing up 2 or more year old ones.
I don't know of one, but the wiki has a collections page with pictures of the collections (so you can see what you're missing) and each item links to the page for that item proper, so that's what I used for my last run.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you want to completely destroy all the magic in your life, Stardew Checkup can read your savegame and tell you exactly what you're missing

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

GotLag posted:

If you want to completely destroy all the magic in your life, Stardew Checkup can read your savegame and tell you exactly what you're missing

nice :cheers:
just missing the stupid combat / monster hunting list which defiinetly no interest in doing that poo poo on either playthru :smugmrgw:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just spent all (in game) day fishing on floor 100 of the mines and only caught trash (skill 8(11 with dish of the sea).) Is there a trick to catching the lava eel? I didn't even get a nibble, just trash and more trash.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

LLSix posted:

I just spent all (in game) day fishing on floor 100 of the mines and only caught trash (skill 8(11 with dish of the sea).) Is there a trick to catching the lava eel? I didn't even get a nibble, just trash and more trash.

i've caught it a couple times. my experience:
DAY 1: no bite :shepicide:
DAY 2: GOt em coach (mid-day)

2nd PTHRU DAY 1: Got em on day 1 towards the verrrrry end of day

so yeah it doesn't bite very often. good lucks

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Apparently some guy's working on a full conversion mod to turn everyone in SV into a 2hu.

I suspect he'll be hamstrung on the romancing bit. Who'd make the 12 slots?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Did the legendary fish get nerfed? Caught all five and I barely put much effort into any of them, they're really not very tough. The one out of the ocean was the only one to give me much trouble and I was only like fishing 6 at the time and I think my trapper tackle had worn out. I was really looking forward to a long battle with Legend but it was probably the easiest one

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

CainsDescendant posted:

Did the legendary fish get nerfed? Caught all five and I barely put much effort into any of them, they're really not very tough. The one out of the ocean was the only one to give me much trouble and I was only like fishing 6 at the time and I think my trapper tackle had worn out. I was really looking forward to a long battle with Legend but it was probably the easiest one

Sometimes you get an easy pattern.

Other times the pattern seems designed for you to lose.

If you're on PC I would suggest this Legendary Fish mod to catch them again and see if you get one of the hard patterns.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

Apparently some guy's working on a full conversion mod to turn everyone in SV into a 2hu.

I suspect he'll be hamstrung on the romancing bit. Who'd make the 12 slots?

what is a 2hu? I am reading that as "two-handed unit"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Touhou.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

LLSix posted:

Luck matters. Watch TV and listen to the fortune teller. If you're having a bad luck day, it's more likely to be all trash and no real bites, particularly from rare/unique fish.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah I don't even try to catch Ice Pips/Lava Eels unless it's a max luck day + eat some luck-boosting food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

to catch an eel... you must digest one