Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

With H3VR and armswinger, the new option he added in the patch that lets you set up a small amount of forward movement by just holding one of the movement buttons is super helpful for things like clearing rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

hit A or X to snap turn

My first impression is that using A/X is so clunky in comparison with the joystick, but I guess it's really what I am accustomed and both are the same.

I've see plenty of options, I have to see if there is a way to not having to click the joystick to use the fire selector or take out the magazine of a pistol, as in the Touch it isn't an easy button to hit and move.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*Finally* got SteamVR back working again. I worked through a bunch of possible conflicts and drive issues, in the end it turned out to be the specific Steam WMR download being set to use the most recent beta release, seeing it to the last known good release fixed it. I sure don't remember choosing that as the default option, and if I ever did on a previous install I'm not sure why it would carry through to this one, when so many other options reset.

Oh well. At least I'm finally confident enough to pick up HL:Alyx and expect it to work :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I swear it wasn't in there before, but I now apparently own HL:Alyx even though I never technically bought my Index Controllers (I got them through a friend and their Steam account in the US). Looks like just connecting them to your VR setup might unlock the game? :confused:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I swear it wasn't in there before, but I now apparently own HL:Alyx even though I never technically bought my Index Controllers (I got them through a friend and their Steam account in the US). Looks like just connecting them to your VR setup might unlock the game? :confused:

Yeah, afaik owning Index or it's controllers before the game releases just gives you the game for free.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, afaik owning Index or it's controllers before the game releases just gives you the game for free.

I was under the impression it was just detecting they were owned as part of your purchase history, rather than polling your actual hardware and going "oh you're using Index controllers, have a game".

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Hey anyone want to play Jackbox in Bigscreen tonight? I honestly don't know the best way to organize a room. Discord?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Teleportation doesn't mean no chase scenes, it just means something like there are doors in the way, or there's more stuff you have to interact with to buy time like pulling down shelves and whatnot. Everything can be designed around!

Big jumps to get away from enemies are weaker in VR, due to the fact that you uh, can't actually jump that high nor far. Wall climbing, however, is waaaaay better. Lone Echo still has everyone beat for making great use of zero g, which is the one environment that really allows for all of that and making it feel right.

That's exactly what the chase scene in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was and it remains the best chase I've ever played in a game, and the best part of that game hands down. It would be pants making GBS threads in VR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Teleportation doesn't mean no chase scenes, it just means something like there are doors in the way, or there's more stuff you have to interact with to buy time like pulling down shelves and whatnot. Everything can be designed around!

Big jumps to get away from enemies are weaker in VR, due to the fact that you uh, can't actually jump that high nor far. Wall climbing, however, is waaaaay better. Lone Echo still has everyone beat for making great use of zero g, which is the one environment that really allows for all of that and making it feel right.

Lone Echo also does a great job with the 'free locomotion' it has, the mini rocket boosters on the hands. It's adequate for the setting, and it really invests on that concept. It doesn't feel an excuse to have 'free locomotion' system in the game, instead the way it position of the hands is important and the acceleration is slow it makes it feel real.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Been playing with my Oculus Quest since I got it, been playing Walking Dead Saints & Sinners. Controls can be a pain at times but it's definitely been an experience.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished up Boneworks. I was surprised when you appear in the medieval dungeon lol In the end I warmed up a bit to the game on the second half, but I think it was because by that point your mind unconsciously deal with all the little physics and control issues the game have, adjusting the way I played and interacted with stuff, thanks to the 'training' from the previous hours. Still, all the flaws mentioned before didn't magically disapepar, it's that you learn to go around them or ignore them.
Speaking of control issues, I discovered why the character gets stuck and have problem climbing so much, just look totally down when walking and running, he does it in a super comical way, with barely raising the feet/legs.

Coming back to the Quest, I'm playing Angry Birds, and well, it's pretty casual of course but it's enjoyable to fire the birds and watch how all collapse beautifully. I wish that as a puzzle game it'd be more thoughtful, there is something wrong when in the latter half of the game I fire a bird just in the middle of everything, without thinking a lot, and that not only completes the level but gives me 3 stars.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 8, 2020

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Half-life games have traditionally been focus tested to hell and back to guide the player through a series of rigid setpieces so I really don't buy the argument that teleportation locomotion will hinder the design, tbh.

I've got good enough VR sealegs that I generally turn off all the anti-nausia poo poo in VR games but I can't imagine thinking a game shouldn't be designed primarily to be playable to people who can't do that, VR is expensive and fractured as hell we need all the accessibility we can get.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RandomBlue posted:

Talking about if your IPD is above or below the recommended IPD range, then you're better off with the Quest IMO. Index supports 58-70mm, if you're within a couple mm of that it'll probably be fine but depends on personal preference.

Looks like I’m 59mm. I assume it’s fully good through that entire range, and not squishing into a stop toward the end of the range?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

Half-life games have traditionally been focus tested to hell and back to guide the player through a series of rigid setpieces so I really don't buy the argument that teleportation locomotion will hinder the design, tbh.

I've got good enough VR sealegs that I generally turn off all the anti-nausia poo poo in VR games but I can't imagine thinking a game shouldn't be designed primarily to be playable to people who can't do that, VR is expensive and fractured as hell we need all the accessibility we can get.

The concern is for designing around Teleporting first, not that it exists as an option. It changes a lot about how levels and games are designed for VR.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shine posted:

As someone who went from Rift CV1 to Index last summer, the headset is loving miles better, like crazy better. Much higher resolution image, clearer lenses, larger FOV, more comfortable... Just a superb headset.

Tracking is excellent. Lighthouse base stations have longer range than Rift sensors and they don't require that multiple stations can see your head/hands at all times, so a large space that needs 3-4 Rift cams will generally work with 2 base stations. Cabling is tidier, as they just plug into power outlets, instead of having to run cables back to the PC.

I miss Oculus Home and its native support for pinning windows in your view. You can accomplish this in SteamVR with various third-party products, though.

SteamVR appears to have mouse cursor alignment issues if you use an ultrawide monitor. It's annoying as hell. I gave up on fixing it and just bought Virtual Desktop.

There is a button on the headset that lets you open the SteamVR interface and click things as you look at them. It's nice when I'm in my sim rig, as I don't have to keep a controller nearby.

The Index/Knuckles controllers are a mixed bag. Having both a touchpad and sticks is very nice in some games (like H3VR, which puts movement on sticks and gun functions on pad quadrants), but the finger sensors are largely a gimmick and I miss the Touch's grip buttons. I've ranted about this before, so here you go:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post500203522

Oh yeah, the Index has incredible audio. Its little speakers are massively better than the Rift headphones. This really shines in games with great sound design, like Elite Dangerous and RaceRoom RE.

All in all, my Rift has been collecting dust since I got the Index. I wish Touch controllers worked with Lighthouse sensors, but the Index headset is so much better, crazy better, that I will live with the faults of the controllers.

Thanks for that

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The concern is for designing around Teleporting first, not that it exists as an option. It changes a lot about how levels and games are designed for VR.
So in your world the levels should be designed solely for people using free locomotion and anyone who can't stomach that should get an inferior experience?

Also I don't think it really makes that much of a difference design wise, especially for a highly scripted corridor shooter.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I agree that it does but since the majority of the game is focused around hand interactions rather than jumping puzzles I doubt it's going to be that much of a drawback, I was expecting small but dense environments anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really don't feel like developers have "solved" locomotion in VR yet. Instead everyone keeps trying to apply concepts from flatscreen games and failing.
I was hoping that Valve would have the time and money to spend on research but it doesn't really look like it, although maybe I'm wrong and it'll somehow be groundbreaking in practice.

Incrediblastic
Oct 29, 2010

I eat food.
So i've fallen deep into the open-source decentralized metaverse hole and I'm kind of confused as to what's not dead or promising.As I gather,JanusVR looks the most like a standard,project athena seems pretty cool but is early in development,and neos vr is well developed but closed source afaik.

Anyone else interested in this stuff?And also-are there any goon-specific rooms/communities for the popular social software i.e. vrchat and rec room?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The most decentralized VR platform is also one of the oldest platforms. WebVR works on most relevant VR hardware and is not reliant on any one vendor, service or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Phillby posted:

So in your world the levels should be designed solely for people using free locomotion and anyone who can't stomach that should get an inferior experience?

Also I don't think it really makes that much of a difference design wise, especially for a highly scripted corridor shooter.

No, they should be getting the same experience as everyone else because moving via teleport doesn't change much in actual gameplay when you're hopping about through the level at your own pace like any other option. The problem is that developers focusing on Teleporting as the primary movement method limits game design because first and foremost the assumption has to be the player is rooted to one spot at any given moment rather than able to move around and engage with their environment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve never seen a teleport game that then keeps you pinned to the ground. I’d imagine it would still support free roomscale movement even in teleport mode.

It’s my opinion that you guys are making this out to be more than it is

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve never seen a teleport game that then keeps you pinned to the ground. I’d imagine it would still support free roomscale movement even in teleport mode.

Same. I've had plenty of fun with teleport games.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I think the complaint is that teleportation, unless it is done in a very clever way (like dropping a portal over your head or whatever), kind of inherently takes you out of the space you're playing in. I'm sure there's arguments that can be made either way, but I absolutely loathe teleportation as an option and when I am forced to use it I am supremely aware that I am playing a game, instead of immersed in my environment. It sucks!

Speaking of other locomotion, everyone recommends arm-swinger in H3VR but I cannot wrap my head around it. I try to move closer to a menu to see and whoops I end up going a little too far, now what? How do I back up even slightly without careening off in a weird direction??

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If H3 had "hold stick in a direction, swing arms to walk that way" movement, I'd be all the gently caress over that. Armswinger as implemented does not click with me at all.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Arm swinger is bad, news at 11.
H3 has pretty rough controls, it’s really held me back from touching it very much over the years.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Neddy Seagoon posted:

teleporting as the primary movement method limits game design

I guess this is just a difference in philosophy but like art I don't believe anything can "limit game design"

edit - arm swinger rules, stay tuned for late night with Conan O'Brien after your local evening news

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I like the stick to walk, stick+arm movement to run system that Blade & Sorcery uses.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

For whatever reason H3VR's armswinger is the best smooth locomotion method for me in any VR game in terms of motion sickness. I can handle Pavlov but need to take occasional breaks. Blade and Sorcery almost caused me to throw up. But I've done like two hours straight in H3 swinging my arms and felt fine afterwards.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SCheeseman posted:

I like the stick to walk, stick+arm movement to run system that Blade & Sorcery uses.

I reflexively try this with the twinstick movement in H3 and then get mad when I remember it doesn't work.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would have been worried if teleport was the only mechanic, but after seeing all three movement types it's obviously Valve put a lot of effort into the basics of movement. You know, the people that did Portal.

Christ have some faith.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a game/sim where you fly by pushing toward your feet with your arms? Think Iron Man.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bad Munki posted:

Is there a game/sim where you fly by pushing toward your feet with your arms? Think Iron Man.

Jet Island gives you spiderman's web + iron man's arm jets. There is a difference tho, so it might not meet your criteria. You fly like superman, fists out, and the propulsion comes from your wrist facing backwards. Iron Man style flight, where the propulsion comes from your palms, seems cool on paper but probably hasn't been done a lot because there's a lot of visual feedback you need, especially when your controllers are light as a feather dealing with a ton of force so it would be a balancing act.

I think Lone Echo has the same movement ideas as jet Island, where the propulsion comes from your wrist and opposite of where you hand is pointing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

Iron Man style flight, where the propulsion comes from your palms, seems cool on paper but probably hasn't been done a lot because there's a lot of visual feedback you need, especially when your controllers are light as a feather dealing with a ton of force so it would be a balancing act.

More importantly, it'd be reliant on having your hands behind you and tracked accurately 100% of the time. Which isn't gonna work so well for anything that's not a Vive, Index, or Oculus Rift CV1.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Can I ask any H3VR veteran to make an "EFFORTPOST" in explaining the different scenes?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Kaedric posted:

Speaking of other locomotion, everyone recommends arm-swinger in H3VR but I cannot wrap my head around it. I try to move closer to a menu to see and whoops I end up going a little too far, now what? How do I back up even slightly without careening off in a weird direction??

Shine posted:

If H3 had "hold stick in a direction, swing arms to walk that way" movement, I'd be all the gently caress over that. Armswinger as implemented does not click with me at all.
The problem is IMO that Armswinger from the name alone suggests that it should work like the classic ski-stick type of locomotion where you sort of push yourself along with backward strokes (or like grabbing the ground and pulling yourself along), but it doesn't.

All it really is is point your controller in the direction you want to go, then wiggle your arm up/down to go there - as if you were doing some kind of exaggerated jogging arm swing motion, but where your hands never pass behind your legs/hips. Initially I always tried to "grab" behind me and pull forward in order to move backwards, but all that will accomplish is moving you backwards while your hand is still pointing back (making you think it works) and then suddenly reversing direction when your arm starts pointing forwards.

I think overall it can be quite good if you get used to it and don't have joystick movement available to you, but intuitive it is not.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So what is it, like two hours to the mad rush for an index? I'm gonna go for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

So what is it, like two hours to the mad rush for an index? I'm gonna go for it.

Three. The restock goes up at 10am, PDT.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah apparently I forgot how timezones work for a moment there, wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, they should be getting the same experience as everyone else because moving via teleport doesn't change much in actual gameplay when you're hopping about through the level at your own pace like any other option. The problem is that developers focusing on Teleporting as the primary movement method limits game design because first and foremost the assumption has to be the player is rooted to one spot at any given moment rather than able to move around and engage with their environment.

The videos they showed have conclusively proven this is not the case with Alyx, so I am not sure what the hypothetical worry is.

Turin Turambar posted:

Can I ask any H3VR veteran to make an "EFFORTPOST" in explaining the different scenes?

I really don't want to do them all, but if you had specific scenes you want described or do you want me to explain the top 3 or 4 I play?