Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Jose posted:

Lol cool they know he cant win and are still going to rig it in his favour

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1236501804042592258?s=19
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1236555667445514242
loving hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's been interesting to me is seeing a ad post from Three on FB with many responses. Some, like me, have nothing but praise for the company - our experiences are almost entirely excellent. Others seem to have very poor experience.

That's the case with basically all ISPs because we're at a point of development where the system either works perfectly or not at all. You don't need me stuck in a basement in Blackheath reading out Hayes Command Set instructions for you to type into your modem to squeeze out a few extra kbps from your aluminium line, some wispy nerd at the other end of the country has pushed out a config that just works for almost every customer in the country.

Of course because of this (and the race to the bottom in pricing) this means when things go wrong companies just don't have the expertise to actually deal with stuff outside the models that they've built of how they've set up the system.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

not sure anyone but the hippiest of hippies would refer to them as "medicine" though

Lol. There's more of them than you'd think. People have been clumsily stealing the concepts of "power plants", "plant teachers", "medicine plants" etc. from indigenous groups longer than anyone posting in this thread has been alive. The 60s counter-culture massively expanded on this and, with a boost from the 90s shamania (everything is shamans!!), it's now firmly at the heart of the whole New Age witchdoctor-racket. Lot of dodgy folks making money off of middleclass 'seekers'/Guardian hack types looking for reassurance that they are actually spiritual beings via taking an "authentic" trip.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Piss Baddison

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

lol given how Biden often acts towards randos the only reason they're so confident about switching formats like this, with rando members of the public rather than professional moderators asking the questions, is because the fix continues to be in and it's going to be massively rigged. "Mr. Vice-President, why are you so handsome and cool?" vs. "Senator Sanders, do you prefer Alaska or North Dakota as the site of your first gulag?"

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not compared to a single trip on a rush-hour tube it doesn't, because you're exposed to far more people (and far more *different* people) in conditions far more conducive to transmission - people coughing/sneezing in the direction of your face, touching hard surfaces touched by other people, etc.

Within two metres of me at London Stadium are about 15 people and - like at most premiership grounds - they're season ticket holders so it tends to be the same people each week. Certainly the ones directly next to me in all 8 directions really are the same people each time, and more importantly we're all facing in the same direction so unless irritated tutting is a major transmission vector I'd say it's about the best-case scenario in terms of a large gathering of people.

There are *definitely* more people than that within that distance of me on the DLR to get to the stadium, and even that's a picnic compared to Monday morning at 0830 - and like I say, these people are facing in random directions, touching the same objects as me, and generally being much more likely to transmit any of their various nasties to me.

I agree that cutting tube use would have much more economic impact than closing down recreational space so it's not a good comparison, and if it were still the days of 20k people in a single Kop I'd agree that there's a concern there, but compared to even a single Saturday-afternoon Ikea it's *way* down the list of priorities.

(what, nobody cheers and yells on the terraces? Your matches must be pretty chill. Golf claps and tutting all round.)

Still, even if it's as call-and-response as a church service, it's still as good a reason to suspend church services as well, or at least nudge bishops to appeal to pastors to do the responsible thing.

What's higher on the list of priorities, then? That is within reach of your local authority? "You better not touch my footie if you haven't closed all those DENS OF RETAIL CAPITALISM first :smug:" is not realistic surely...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

(what, nobody cheers and yells on the terraces? Your matches must be pretty chill. Golf claps and tutting all round.)

Still, even if it's as call-and-response as a church service, it's still as good a reason to suspend church services as well, or at least nudge bishops to appeal to pastors to do the responsible thing.

What's higher on the list of priorities, then? That is within reach of your local authority? "You better not touch my footie if you haven't closed all those DENS OF RETAIL CAPITALISM first :smug:" is not realistic surely...

My point is that it would be pointless window-dressing that wouldn't save a single life, and also that the atmosphere at the London Stadium is sterile enough that you could probably do surgery on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

god anything that grows on this earth up to and enthusiastically including deadly poison gets called medicine.
All medicines are potentially poisons, but not all poisons are medicines.

EmptyVessel posted:

Lol. There's more of them than you'd think. People have been clumsily stealing the concepts of "power plants", "plant teachers", "medicine plants" etc. from indigenous groups longer than anyone posting in this thread has been alive. The 60s counter-culture massively expanded on this and, with a boost from the 90s shamania (everything is shamans!!), it's now firmly at the heart of the whole New Age witchdoctor-racket. Lot of dodgy folks making money off of middleclass 'seekers'/Guardian hack types looking for reassurance that they are actually spiritual beings via taking an "authentic" trip.
How can there be such a thing as an authentic spiritual trip if she only believes in reductionist biological materialism?

What happens if she trips balls and grows a ghost dick? Someone tell her that the skunk marijuanas cause ROGD while she's high.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My point is that it would be pointless window-dressing that wouldn't save a single life, and also that the atmosphere at the London Stadium is sterile enough that you could probably do surgery on it.
no saving lives isn't pointless window-dressing, how do you suppose this won't save any lives? for context here's how italy's is handling the rush on their healthcare:

and here's singapore data on how long it lasts and why a single PCR test isn't good enough:

and school closures work, here's 1918 data from the us on closing early - same principle for any public gathering
https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1235204453315358722
for daily updates keep up to date on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB2TExg3QIBupFtBDxg

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

EmptyVessel posted:

Occasional arguments with my younger brother where I try to convince him that doing Ayahuasca with a shaman in Amsterdam doesn't mean that the subsequent invitation to spend several months living in the Brazilian rainforest is anything other than joining a bog-standard cult, which he can absolutely do at home.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*in extremely Brexiteer voice* If shamanic rainforest nature cults were any good they'd have one in Goole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People stealing the concept of "power plants" in the 60's is why we don't have more nuclear energy in the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That and our nuclear program in the 50s was just a transparent plot to get more bomb making materials and was built like poo poo.

We definitely should have gone full France in the 70s/80s though, rather than falling for the gas boom.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1236620152243916803?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that's just going to result in these people giving addresses to empty rooms. Followed by the government trying to mandate attendence lol.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes, that's the central difficulty of public health policy, isn't it - each individual contribution is indistinguishable from zero, sometimes actually negative, and yet the total contribution must come from somewhere, and somehow this must feel fair

Realistically there are still going to be family gatherings, religious services, festivals, weekly markets, etc that will go ahead regardless, and there's nothing much that public health authorities can do about it except urge people who feel already ill to avoid such events. The events it can effectively influence are already limited in scope.

We're at an odd situation where balancing legitimacy against containment requires that there be newsworthy local transmission clusters first before mandates to start limiting public events will feel sufficiently justified that voluntary compliance would be effective (a delay here is justifiable on policy grounds, I think - measures which are perceived to be too harsh can backfire by undermining public trust). Given how events have unfolded in the initial wave of countries, this is probably just two or three weeks in the future. For Hong Kong it was hotpot restaurants (i.e., family gatherings). For Korea and Singapore it was churches. This is still not a shut down of all social events but instead local authorities urging an abundance of caution, and much of the voluntary compliance emerges from event organizers cancelling due to a self-fulfilling prophecy of reduced attendance.

e: apropos Graun coverage

quote:

As the number of cases in Germany climbed to 1,028 on Sunday (Robert Koch Institute, 1.54pm local time), Germany’s Bundesliga was forced to react to health minister Jens Spahn’s recommendation that events drawing more than 1,000 participants, including football matches, conferences, trade fairs and concerts, should be cancelled.

As Germany has a federal system, Spahn does not have the power to call off events, but his advice is likely to be taken seriously and has been welcomed by many who had complained the government’s response to the virus has so far been too laid-back. Germany’s football league, the DFL has said it will be in touch with all clubs to discuss how to deal with the current situation.

“The coronavirus is bringing the entire society and with it, the game of football, into a difficult situation,” DFL’s manager, Christian Seifert, told German media.

The DFL’s leadership is due to meet shortly and will then meet with each club individually, Seifert said. He added, the aim had to be “to find an appropriate middle way between justified precaution and exaggerated caution,” Seifert said.

But he said it was “without question” that the football season needed to carry on until mid May, when it is due to end.

Peter Liese, health spokesman for the leading Christian Democrats said he was in favour of games being played in empty stadiums, the next scheduled one being a rearranged fixture between Mönchengladbach and Cologne on Wednesday.

“The danger of contagion does not just apply to the stadium itself but to the full trains bringing the spectators to the match,” he said.

Announcing his recommendation on Sunday following an emergency government meeting, Spahn said he was depending on each individual to make sensible decisions.

“I encourage each and every individual to weigh up what’s important to you in your own daily life, which you really cannot do without in the next two to three months, whether it’s visiting a club, a birthday party with friends or an association meeting,” he added.

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 8, 2020

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the case with basically all ISPs because we're at a point of development where the system either works perfectly or not at all. You don't need me stuck in a basement in Blackheath reading out Hayes Command Set instructions for you to type into your modem to squeeze out a few extra kbps from your aluminium line, some wispy nerd at the other end of the country has pushed out a config that just works for almost every customer in the country.

Of course because of this (and the race to the bottom in pricing) this means when things go wrong companies just don't have the expertise to actually deal with stuff outside the models that they've built of how they've set up the system.

You would have expected the basic account/connection package to be sorted out though.

If what I was told is true anyone taking out the minimum 2 year 4G broadband package with Three can't actually make the switch to 5G until that contact's up and they take out a new one.

All their sales guys are implying differently though. They say that the SIMs are 5G enabled so we can "seamlessly make the switch" when 5G arrives.

Edit: meanwhile I think the launch of 5G on my town has broken the 4G+. My devices connect to it when they first start up but, without fail, they both drop to 4G within half an hour.

Switching off the 4g and then reconnecting to it gets me back onto it every time, but it drops again every time too. Just can't seem to maintain a permanent connecting. Any tech reason why that might be?

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 8, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

I fear someone is overlooking the field of homeopathic medicine :smug:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

How can there be such a thing as an authentic spiritual trip if she only believes in reductionist biological materialism?

What happens if she trips balls and grows a ghost dick? Someone tell her that the skunk marijuanas cause ROGD while she's high.

Not actually authentic, "authentic" because part of some imagined original/primitive perfect state that would have Rousseau's noble savages rolling their eyes at how fluffy and unthreatening it is. The key word I used was reassurance - the vast majority of these marks are comfortably well off and are only looking for a friendly higher power to tell them that the status quo is all fine and they don't really need to change anything.
Wait till she hears about the suggested connection between smoking weed and gynecomastia.

josh04 posted:

Occasional arguments with my younger brother where I try to convince him that doing Ayahuasca with a shaman in Amsterdam doesn't mean that the subsequent invitation to spend several months living in the Brazilian rainforest is anything other than joining a bog-standard cult, which he can absolutely do at home.
If this invite has a cost attached to it (it will) he's just another mark, if it doesn't he's already in a cult. Maybe mention that some of these set ups are so poo poo that people have died?

Guavanaut posted:

*in extremely Brexiteer voice* If shamanic rainforest nature cults were any good they'd have one in Goole.
Brian Bates would like a wyrdword.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Prominent public figures crying about being "silenced" when a university group decides not to host them always looks like intensely pathetic whining to me, but I keep hearing from all these other prominent public figures that it's actually a damaging assault on free speech so I don't know what to think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You have to make sure you (or your partner) gets a job with insurance. And if you lose your job - bye bye insurance.

Coronavirus:

A friend is supposed to be coming over from the US in a couple of weeks - she's nearly 70, just getting over an illness, so immuno-compromised, has to use a CPAP machine anyway. I'm encouraging her not to come, but another friend of hers has come over to London for a few days from Africa and is telling her "everything is fine, life in London is normal, no shortages, no problems".
Trying to convince my friend that London is not necessarily representative of the whole of the UK, she's planning to go to Sheffield.

Honestly, regardless of coronavirus, she probably shouldn't be putting herself in an enclosed barely-cleaned tube full of other peoples recirculating germs for 5+ hours in this situation.

I'm hoping things will have chilled out a bit in a couple of weeks, I'm due to take the train and the tube to London for training for two days in 10 days, ugh ugh ugh. Something I'm not exactly a fan of for hygeine-paranoia reasons at the best of times, let alone now.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
cpap machines were part of why the nursing home outbreak got quite so bad iirc

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
how in the blithering gently caress do you enforce the right of people to be invited to speak by student societies

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Angepain posted:

how in the blithering gently caress do you enforce the right of people to be invited to speak by student societies

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1236676962413948928

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Angepain posted:

You just make it a crime to do anything for an ethical reason. It dovetails neatly with the proposed bans on BDS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

By getting the government to decide who should speak at universities, like the article says :v:

Alternatively, spiderman himself is going to fix it:

quote:

Gavin Williamson is believed to be looking at increasing the powers of the university regulator after a speech by former Home Secretary Ms Rudd was blocked by a student society on Thursday.

The Telegraph understands that ministers are considering amending the 1986 Education Act to ensure that the Office for Students (OfS) is able to police student bodies that fail to protect free speech. While universities have a duty to uphold free speech, Government sources have expressed concern that the current legislation does not directly apply to students' unions or societies.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 8, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

By getting the government to decide who should speak at universities, like the article says :v:

Alternatively, spiderman himself is going to fix it:

Looking forward to suing every university who won't book me to scream at them for not giving me all their money for breaching my right to free speech.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Where's his rainforest?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Running into oxford university scraeming "DEBATE ME COWARDS IM THE GOVERNMENT!"

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Pesky Splinter posted:

Apparently the libdems are doing their own leadership race - I literally forgot about Swinson's existance losing her seat.

Candidates so far, are the nobody she ran against before, and the other loving nobodies still in the party.

Don't forget Layla Moran, the pansexual Palestinian that beat her ex at conference!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Fine, we accept your right to speak.
What, of course we haven't written 'auditorium' on a toilet cubicle. In the basement. With no lights.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Where's his rainforest?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest#Europe

or in the case of your Brexit-voiced query, the ancient woodland previously in the neighbourhood of Goole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely if they try to enforce this it's going to be hilarious because it's just going to mean people go to the event to protest instead.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

We will spam the ENTIRE GOVERNMENT with invitations to speak, then lock them in the auditorium and let the rest of Parliament do some governing without them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

Genuinely if they try to enforce this it's going to be hilarious because it's just going to mean people go to the event to protest instead.

everyone sits down quietly, takes out a pair of headphones, and listens to loud rock music

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Angepain posted:

everyone sits down quietly, takes out a pair of headphones, and listens to loud rock music

Everyone sits down quiety, takes out a pair of headphones, listens to loud rock music, and starts singing along.

The music is Rage Against the Machine.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

EmptyVessel posted:

Not actually authentic, "authentic" because part of some imagined original/primitive perfect state that would have Rousseau's noble savages rolling their eyes at how fluffy and unthreatening it is. The key word I used was reassurance - the vast majority of these marks are comfortably well off and are only looking for a friendly higher power to tell them that the status quo is all fine and they don't really need to change anything.
Wait till she hears about the suggested connection between smoking weed and gynecomastia.

If this invite has a cost attached to it (it will) he's just another mark, if it doesn't he's already in a cult. Maybe mention that some of these set ups are so poo poo that people have died?

OMG - you have read that book (ed: Way of Wyrd Brian Bates)? I read it about 30 years ago. A friend and I were really into the band Skyclad (he more than me) and that's how we got into that book.
Doing the Widdershins Jig in a huge circle at the former Astoria in Charing Cross Road was something else :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbXsOWQ68k

thespaceinvader posted:

Honestly, regardless of coronavirus, she probably shouldn't be putting herself in an enclosed barely-cleaned tube full of other peoples recirculating germs for 5+ hours in this situation.

I'm hoping things will have chilled out a bit in a couple of weeks, I'm due to take the train and the tube to London for training for two days in 10 days, ugh ugh ugh. Something I'm not exactly a fan of for hygeine-paranoia reasons at the best of times, let alone now.

I'm going up to London on Thursday for 4 days - by coach for a course - course is only 1 day but getting to London is such a palaver for me that I booked 4 nights and will be seeing friends (if they still want to! Or mooching around a deserted city if not!). If I don't go, I'll lose a few £00, so I feel your pain! In the absence of hand-sanitizer, a friend's suggested putting some wet wipes in a jar with Milton's sterilizing fluid and using that instead.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 8, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Silent disco but for speeches would be a great idea. You could have multiple different speakers on at the same time, and one channel for music.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's more deliberate stoking of the fires of the 'culture war', where the government affirms that they're on the side of decent, down-to-earth, common sense ordinary people and opposed to the shrieking, intolerant Left, with their infuriating habits of being young and having opinions about things. Keeping your base fired up with these non-stories makes it more likely that they'll vote for you again next time round. I doubt very much there'll be any actual government action on this but that was never the point in the 1st place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OMG - you have read that book (ed: Way of Wyrd Brian Bates)? I read it about 30 years ago. A friend and I were really into the band Skyclad (he more than me) and that's how we got into that book.
Doing the Widdershins Jig in a huge circle at the former Astoria in Charing Cross Road was something else :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbXsOWQ68k

I'm going up to London on Thursday for 4 days - coach for a course - course is only 1 day but getting to London is such a palaver for me that I booked 4 nights and will be seeing friends (if they still want to! Or mooching around a deserted city if not!). If I don't go, I'll lose a few £00, so I feel your pain! In the absence of hand-sanitizer, a friend's suggested putting some wet wipes in a jar with Milton's sterilizing fluid and using that instead.

I will be wearing gloves whenever I'm outside.

But between cold temperatures and hayfever not touching my face is essentially impossible :(