Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LazyAngel posted:

Nah, I mean the aspect decks are supposed to have two copies of each card; mine only has one for Aggression.

Which cards are it supposed to have two of that it only has one of? Different Aggression cards will be 1x, 2x, or 3x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I still have Root in 3 boxes. I sorted components using 11 cheap Ultra-Pro card boxes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

After waxing about hansa teutonica for a week or two, I got to play it again. 3 player, on the brittania map. It was interesting, I'm not entirely sure about the Wales stuff. I kinda liked the original 3p map more? I'd play whatever though.

Age of Steam was my first time playing it, on the Ireland map which has super weird locomotive rules (you can't upgrade with the action, only by giving up a good ship, the action lets you give up both to get two) and no urbanization instead you deurbanize a cube.

I built in the north, then got boxed in and started a rail down south and got up to shipping goods at 4, my opponents were doing 5 and 6. I lost, but not by that much, 91 88 84.

I'm mixed on the game overall, would have to try it again maybe on a less weird map.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

After waxing about hansa teutonica for a week or two, I got to play it again. 3 player, on the brittania map. It was interesting, I'm not entirely sure about the Wales stuff. I kinda liked the original 3p map more? I'd play whatever though.

Age of Steam was my first time playing it, on the Ireland map which has super weird locomotive rules (you can't upgrade with the action, only by giving up a good ship, the action lets you give up both to get two) and no urbanization instead you deurbanize a cube.

I built in the north, then got boxed in and started a rail down south and got up to shipping goods at 4, my opponents were doing 5 and 6. I lost, but not by that much, 91 88 84.

I'm mixed on the game overall, would have to try it again maybe on a less weird map.

Hansa Teutonica (I've already played it three times this year!!!) is best with the Eastern map. The original map is too focused on one spot and the Eastern map really helps with the tempo of the game. I didn't care for the Britannia map and don't play with it.

Yes try AoS with the original map so you can experience it in the way it was designed to be. The other maps can be good or iffy depending. I've not played with the Ireland map.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's a big spreadsheet with all of the hundreds of AoS maps, ranked by how good they are at what playercount (with asterisks to mark a contested rating), which I plan to use when I can finally get my bloody copy played.
Also, I like one of the map adds three layers of tiebreakers, ending with rolling dice, because whoever designed that clearly thinks shared victories are bullshit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

Yes try AoS with the original map so you can experience it in the way it was designed to be. The other maps can be good or iffy depending. I've not played with the Ireland map.

I played AoS on the Rust Belt map on Wednesday, and I can't say I was enamoured of it. I needed a bit of advice to avoid death spiralling on turn 2, but after that I caught on to the mechanisms and eventually won by 1 point. However, I won only because someone rolled two threes in a late round after no threes were rolled for most of the rest of the game. If they'd rolled a 3 earlier then someone else could have shipped from New City G before I could or I would have had to ship for less; if less 3s had been rolled then I would have lost outright.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Hansa Teutonica (I've already played it three times this year!!!) is best with the Eastern map. The original map is too focused on one spot and the Eastern map really helps with the tempo of the game. I didn't care for the Britannia map and don't play with it.

I actually saw your comments in some old strategy posts in the HT forum on BGG. Mostly around "no, if all everyone else is doing is focused on actions, maybe get bags and it's actually pretty good". Fun stuff.

I want to try the Eastern map yeah. BL maybe I should get that copy of it even though I don't have the game, just to bring to this game night!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thank you for the Earth Reborn feedback!

Could I also selfishly ask for feedback on Gugong and Crusaders Thy Will Be Done (other than the the ing of the latter...)

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Crusaders Thy Will Be Done is a fairly competent rondel game. At two players, the game is disappointingly non interactive, but it becomes much more interesting at higher player counts. This is because game length (via the VP limit) scales with player count, but the spaces on the main board do not. So the race for good spots is much tighter and more interesting at higher player counts. The rondel action selection is alright, but nothing special. The wooden tokens for this game are exceptionally well done. The plastic "upgrade" is a disappointment in my eyes.

That said, the theme really is pasted on. The more you know about the actual crusading movement, the less you will be able to recognize in this game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Played Ganz Schön Clever recently with a couple who brought a few party games as their offering. The guy got visibly uncomfortable when I got to explaining, like, the fourth consecutive rule, and then he tuned out, complained constantly about how complicated this game (for ages 8+) was, and sighed all four rounds about how long it was taking. I offered to end the game after round 2, but he insisted that we finish.

He was much more clearly at ease when we played one of his (new, instructions not yet read) games, Things..., which is a poorly-thought-out and lazy piece of crap. The cards are very similar (e.g. overlap in the Venn Diagram of "things you shouldn't do at a kindergarten" and "things you shouldn't do on the bus" is pretty significant) and it doesn't account well for how recognizable handwriting is, given that it's likely played by people who know each other.

So, lesson(s) learned.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That lesson being "I'll play party games but only if everyone is also actually up for more complicated games...we can just hang out and chat instead, really"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A friend of mine and his wife like meeting new people, but sometimes it goes
:v:"We like games. Come over to play some games?"
:goleft:"Ya OK"
But then it turns out they just wanted to come over & chat and stuff and don't actually want to play games.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My Ganz Schöen Cleaver story was running out of ways to explain the +1 action allows you to grab another result from the dice pool, and did not in fact increment any of those results by one.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Shadow225 posted:

Could I also selfishly ask for feedback on Gugong

Played it 2 times at 4 and then 3 players and liked it quite a bit.

Tried a jade strategy and came in second with a 5 point difference and went for traveling and decrees in my second game and came in second again with like a 3 point difference.

The game seems to offer enough different strategies to stay fresh and the card play mechanism is quite good. Only mandatory thing seems to be the double worker, really important for a lot of the strategies. Didn't get additional cards in both of my games and didn't really miss them.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

awesome, thanks for the feedback all!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

homullus posted:

He was much more clearly at ease when we played one of his (new, instructions not yet read) games, Things..., which is a poorly-thought-out and lazy piece of crap. The cards are very similar (e.g. overlap in the Venn Diagram of "things you shouldn't do at a kindergarten" and "things you shouldn't do on the bus" is pretty significant) and it doesn't account well for how recognizable handwriting is, given that it's likely played by people who know each other.

So, lesson(s) learned.

My group (which is decidedly lighter than most goon groups) played this game many times, though not for a while. We mostly stopped when the answers started to stray into edgelord territory, but we had a riotously good time trying to make each other laugh and trick each other.

We had a similar handwriting issue, but it was caused by people not being able to read our scribble. If you read them out as you go, then you ask for someone to come up, that clearly eliminates the for all the ones written before. So the judge would walk away, read all the prompts, write them all down, then read them all aloud only after they were all down. If you can't read something, you call them up first. Then they passed around the list from the judge so there was no asking for re-reads. It adds some time between rounds but it really speeds up the rounds themselves.

I always had a good time. We played it with 9 or 10 occasionally, but I think it's snappiest at 6-7. There is something extremely satisfying about being the judge and watching your friends guess your answer for all the other players, though in hindsight it's just silly because it's not like it gets you points or anything. Don't get me wrong: It's not high art, but among the 'creative activity' type ultra-light games, it's probably my favorite one that does not involve drawing (Telestrations, Fake Artist).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have this problem that every time we play games my friends want to invite at least 7 people and it's like, how many games do any of us have the seat this many that aren't party games. Like it's great for The Resistance or something, but still limiting.

Related, I don't think I've ever played a round of 7 Wonders where there wasn't one player who was utterly mystified by the idea of cascading your cards so you can manage table space, and see all the relevant information on your cards and let your neighbors see as well.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

homullus posted:

Played Ganz Schön Clever recently with a couple who brought a few party games as their offering. The guy got visibly uncomfortable when I got to explaining, like, the fourth consecutive rule, and then he tuned out, complained constantly about how complicated this game (for ages 8+) was, and sighed all four rounds about how long it was taking. I offered to end the game after round 2, but he insisted that we finish.

So, lesson(s) learned.

I really enjoy GSC but after having a similar experience, I'm pretty much resigned to playing it solo or 2P, and honestly, it's the definition of multiplayer solitaire so there are much better games to get out at 4P for me, even in the "non-gamer light fare" category.

Played an unexpected game of Lorenzo Il Magnifico and was really impressed. The decision space felt extremely tight and interesting, but never limiting. Interested to play with the expansion now.

Did a 4P of On Mars that I somehow finished 2nd in due to just spamming LSS buildings when everyone else was focused on advanced buildings and secret objectives and what not. Not sure yet how I feel about it, I didn't feel like I was making decisions, I was more so just struggling to formulate a coherent series of actions without going into massive AP, but it really started to click towards the end and I'm excited to play again for sure.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Glagha posted:

Related, I don't think I've ever played a round of 7 Wonders where there wasn't one player who was utterly mystified by the idea of cascading your cards so you can manage table space, and see all the relevant information on your cards and let your neighbors see as well.

I sometimes feel like our group has gotten so deep into board games over the years that when newbies join in, we take for granted the simple organizational things like this that people pick up over time. Also see: paying attention to the game so that you don't spend 5 minutes taking into account the board state very turn. Two new people taking a lot of time to make simple decisions can easily turn any 2-3 hour game into a 5 hour slog, or worse.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Reynold posted:

I sometimes feel like our group has gotten so deep into board games over the years that when newbies join in, we take for granted the simple organizational things like this that people pick up over time. Also see: paying attention to the game so that you don't spend 5 minutes taking into account the board state very turn. Two new people taking a lot of time to make simple decisions can easily turn any 2-3 hour game into a 5 hour slog, or worse.

This is what I think of when I say this or that thing is "for gamers."

And little inefficiencies really do add up, don't they?

One time we played Eclipse with a DGT Time Cube with experienced players but one or two who know how to play games but have trouble doing things like letting people know when their turn is over. Keeping your timer low turned unexpectedly into a game in itself, and people played quick and focused. That game was done in like 90 minutes and it boggled my mind, and in a real good kind of way.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Reynold posted:

Also see: paying attention to the game so that you don't spend 5 minutes taking into account the board state very turn. Two new people taking a lot of time to make simple decisions can easily turn any 2-3 hour game into a 5 hour slog, or worse.

A regular in my group, who plays all the heavy games with us, still does this. At this point, we've chalked it up to him being an engineer and having analysis paralysis all the time (this extends to other facets of his life and not just gaming), but it kills momentum and drives us crazy. Our Gloomhaven rounds routinely see the other three people taking about 30 seconds per turn, and him taking several minutes, sometimes with the bonus of "aw, poo poo, I didn't mean to do that I didn't think about X/Y/Z". We've started putting limits on him without trying to be mean, but it's gotten to the point where we bust out a timer for rounds and have to slowly shorten the timer because he always takes up to the limit of it.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
One of our veteran gamers, during Twilight Imperium, kept all his action cards face down, by themselves, spread out on the table. Whenever someone played a card of their own, or did something clever, he would say "Wait..." and pick one up and read it to himself. He would then put it down, and pick up the next, reading it to himself again. He had like 3-4 cards and would do this for several minutes each time, never playing one. The first time, I made fun of him. The third time, I cussed him out and ignored his protests as I finished my turn. We are still bros.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Agrias120 posted:

A regular in my group, who plays all the heavy games with us, still does this. At this point, we've chalked it up to him being an engineer and having analysis paralysis all the time (this extends to other facets of his life and not just gaming), but it kills momentum and drives us crazy. Our Gloomhaven rounds routinely see the other three people taking about 30 seconds per turn, and him taking several minutes, sometimes with the bonus of "aw, poo poo, I didn't mean to do that I didn't think about X/Y/Z". We've started putting limits on him without trying to be mean, but it's gotten to the point where we bust out a timer for rounds and have to slowly shorten the timer because he always takes up to the limit of it.

It's probably important to have a direct chat and point out that his analysis paralysis is making things less fun for you, and he needs to learn how to play speedily to increase everyone's enjoyment.

However don't just poo poo on him, suggest the techniques here to him: https://youtu.be/n-Ptyqo4lE0

I'd that doesn't quite land, stop using a round timer and start using a game timer to get total time on his turns over the gsme. Part of it is that he needs to understand how much longer he is taking than everyone else. I usually count up.

So if gloomhaven takes longer than 2 hours a scenerion we lose. Start playing games like Concordia for a while, and use the high society rule. Whoever has taken the most time automatically loses, we don't score them up.

That will practically force him to play faster but just having a game timer and point out that you are literally taking twice as long as me and that is reducing our enjoyment substantially has worked for me.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Which cards are it supposed to have two of that it only has one of? Different Aggression cards will be 1x, 2x, or 3x?

I mean I have one each of; Chase Them Down, Combat Training, Relentless Assault, Tac Team, The Power of Aggression and Uppercut, all of which I should have two of. There's no more than one copy of any of the aggression cards, whereas the other aspects are as listed in the starter deck section.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cross posting from Games General Chat thread cause I'm now realising I should probably just be chatting about board games with board game nerds.

Infinitum posted:

In Board Game news
- Bought mate a copy of Marvel Champions for his birthday, but unfortunately didn't get a chance to sit down and play. Maybe next week
- Bought myself a copy of D&D Dungeon Mayhem: Monster Madness. Game is really really good. Light, easy to explain, and 5-6 players is a big step up for larger groups. Just weird and wacky and delightful. The expansion box fitting all the previous packs = very yes
- Another mate got gifted Crokinole for his birthday, as his friends group all chipped in to get it. Now I want a board because it's just an absolutely fantastic game, but they are also like a few hundred dollars each, so yeaaaaaah.
- Brother and Nieces birthday are next week so I bought them Klask. If you like airhockey, and are extremely competitive, do yourselves a favour and grab this. It's cheap and just an absolute cracker of a good time.
- For family game night I bought 6 Nimmt! aka Take 6! Bit of a weird one, made by Ze Germans, but it's got some strategy involved and I'm trying to teach my Niece how to plan ahead in games as she's rather bad at it. Linking the SU&SD review below for an explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQMMfyUhFLUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMKzeg78peg

Still trying to line up a time for another round or two of Twilight Imperium with my strategy group :negative:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone in the UK know where I can get a copy of Dominion? Amazon has one for same day delivery...but it's in German. Zatu doesn't have it, nowhere I Google seems to have it. This is just the base version, I'm surprised such a well known game is out of stock everywhere.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Bardeh posted:

Does anyone in the UK know where I can get a copy of Dominion? Amazon has one for same day delivery...but it's in German. Zatu doesn't have it, nowhere I Google seems to have it. This is just the base version, I'm surprised such a well known game is out of stock everywhere.

This is the site I usually use to check availability and prices, it looks like you have a few options: https://boardgameprices.co.uk/item/show/19371/dominion-second-edition

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

This is the site I usually use to check availability and prices, it looks like you have a few options: https://boardgameprices.co.uk/item/show/19371/dominion-second-edition

Everywhere is out of stock apart from amazon, which ships from the US. :(

E: I found it in stock at somewhere called Squizzas, which I've never heard of but accepted my order, so we'll see if it arrives!

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 8, 2020

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bardeh posted:

If you happen to be in Cambridge, Heffer's had a copy the other day

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's probably important to have a direct chat and point out that his analysis paralysis is making things less fun for you, and he needs to learn how to play speedily to increase everyone's enjoyment.

However don't just poo poo on him, suggest the techniques here to him: https://youtu.be/n-Ptyqo4lE0

I'd that doesn't quite land, stop using a round timer and start using a game timer to get total time on his turns over the gsme. Part of it is that he needs to understand how much longer he is taking than everyone else. I usually count up.

So if gloomhaven takes longer than 2 hours a scenerion we lose. Start playing games like Concordia for a while, and use the high society rule. Whoever has taken the most time automatically loses, we don't score them up.

That will practically force him to play faster but just having a game timer and point out that you are literally taking twice as long as me and that is reducing our enjoyment substantially has worked for me.

This is all great advice, and I'm going to try it out. I really appreciate it! He's a good friend of mine, so the direct talk is a great idea (but he's also fairly sensitive and not great with criticism, which is why a lot of our solutions have been so indirect, and admittedly ineffective, so far).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Got to play Quacks of Quedlinburg yesterday, really enjoyed it. Really tempted to grab a copy, really nails that "press your luck" feel but doesn't feel completely devastating if you bust here or there (I busted a lot of course, nailed that 1/8 chance at least twice :haw:)

Got in a game of The Scepter of Zavendor too, played the Fairy well but completely whiffed the last turn and went from first to last uggggggh Z-Man let someone reprint this poo poo, I'd rather play this over Outpost seven days a week.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you want a turbo charged breakneck speed push your luck game, look into Martin Wallace’s automobile. :getin: the game dares you to push the technology track to stay ahead of your competition and outsell them so people take on more and more risks as the game continues. The demand is a bit random but the supply economy is entirely player driven. Of course, if you play with meek players who want to play it safe it can be stale and everyone can sell everything but that assumes the people ahead don’t try to sell more cars (and therefore get a larger % of the pot) compared to the people behind.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Played the new Die Macher and it's an absolute gem. 5P game that took about 3 hours plus a 30 minute teach, but was constantly engaged during that time.

Lots of secret decisions plus big reveals that lead to very joyful/crushing moments. Super thematic, very much felt like we were political parties in a primary election fighting for relevancy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

If you want a turbo charged breakneck speed push your luck game, look into Martin Wallace’s automobile. :getin: the game dares you to push the technology track to stay ahead of your competition and outsell them so people take on more and more risks as the game continues. The demand is a bit random but the supply economy is entirely player driven. Of course, if you play with meek players who want to play it safe it can be stale and everyone can sell everything but that assumes the people ahead don’t try to sell more cars (and therefore get a larger % of the pot) compared to the people behind.

Yeah I ended up buying it again after selling it at a profit although the demand system is klugey. Wonder if someone ever came up with a variant that would actually work?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Pardon me, but what does klugey mean?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Pardon me, but what does klugey mean?

Kluge. This definition says it's limited to hardware or software but at least here in SoCal it means anything that's patched together to solve a problem.

I just added ly to it. I hope you were serious because if we are really going down the road of pendancy :) I'll make a left at the corner.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I was genuinely asking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know it as kludge. Also known as bodge (primarily in England I think), fudge (in some senses, that term can also mean outright fabrication) and a bunch of similar words. A 'solution' that metaphorically contains a large amount of superglue and duct tape. Or literally.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I know it as kludge. Also known as bodge (primarily in England I think), fudge (in some senses, that term can also mean outright fabrication) and a bunch of similar words. A 'solution' that metaphorically contains a large amount of superglue and duct tape. Or literally.

You sure it's not claggy or stodgy or some other word they use to describe meh pastry in bake off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

silvergoose posted:

You sure it's not claggy or stodgy or some other word they use to describe meh pastry in bake off?

Clag glue is a type of glue paste used at schools, hence claggy and stogy is used for rich fatty foods