Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

10 Beers posted:

I've got one Gwent card on Skellige left that can't be won from anyone. I swear I've checked every merchant.

There are multiple main/side quest NPCs who let you play them in gwent. Its definitely one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This is why Muster is so bad. Yes it's great if all the cards are in your deck but how likely is that? Best case scenario it's just a very high-strength play that can be countered by weather cards, scorch, or a pass. Worst case you basically start with 1-3 fewer cards in your hand and it breaks your back. I've never even come close to losing to a Monster deck and have no desire to play one.

Figured out why my quest wasn't complete - I never went back and re-challenged that rear end in a top hat Nilfgard noble in the palace. I remember trying to play him a few times after the tutorial zone and once he dropped a fifteen-strength ME on the board I was like OK I'll come back when I have less 1-strength infantry in my deck.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Leader abilities are effectively a pass depending on which one you pick. Don’t be afraid to incorporate strategic usage of “see 3 cards from your opponents deck” or whatever to buy a turn.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

10 Beers posted:

I've got one Gwent card on Skellige left that can't be won from anyone. I swear I've checked every merchant.
Gremist was the last one for me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

nachos posted:

Leader abilities are effectively a pass depending on which one you pick. Don’t be afraid to incorporate strategic usage of “see 3 cards from your opponents deck” or whatever to buy a turn.

Why would you ever pick that ability when you can draw cards from your opponents discard? Hello previous rounds spies, happy to see you again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

Why would you ever pick that ability when you can draw cards from your opponents discard? Hello previous rounds spies, happy to see you again.

Getting that card requires beating one of the hardest Gwent games in the base game. It's clearly the best leader ability but it's not something you'll use for a lot of the game.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

10 Beers posted:

I wonder if it’s the innkeeper at the Pheasantry that you’re missing. Do you have the Gwent tournament quest active? Basically if that quest is active you can’t get into the Pheasantry without starting the tournament which means you can’t play the innkeeper until after you’ve completed the tournament quest. Her card is similar to the Dandelion card so you can play without it quite happily, just use Dandelion if you really want that card in your deck.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

10 Beers posted:

http://gwent-cards.com/

Also lol @ using anything but spy spam.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Tom Tucker posted:

I can't believe I bought this game for 15 bucks, expansions included. It's absolutely unreal how much content there is, and I'm only (I'd guess) halfway through HOS after finishing the main quest. The game holds up remarkably well for an older game, not only because it's fricken gorgeous and the graphics are great, but because so much of the value is unrelated to the graphics / gameplay in that it's story, humor, choices, etc. It's the most narrative game I've played and you feel like you're making key choices and you can see the world responding to them. I've looked into the choices I made after I finished and it's amazing seeing how different things could have been, and the absolute scale of the writing and voice acting / animation that I will never get to see in the game. Makes me want to play it again already!

It really shows that there is simply no substitute for putting the work in to make a truly satisfying single-player game. Fantastic stuff. I think X-COM 2 and Civ V still beat it for my game of the decade, but it's up there with FTL, Into the Breach, Bioshock Infinite, and above almost everything else, and more than any other it plays like a labor of love by the developer for the player.

older game? it's from four years ago and games released this year still look and play exactly the same

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
anyway Olgierd said something about how there's nothing but a void after death, when I JUST spent 8 hours hanging out with the ghost of his brother

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

NotNut posted:

older game? it's from four years ago and games released this year still look and play exactly the same

Yeah that's a good point when I think of "5 years ago" it seems really long ago but googling top 2015 games includes Arkham Knight and Rise of the Tomb Raider which were also gorgeous so I guess I just don't have a good sense of how good graphics had gotten by 2015!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NotNut posted:

anyway Olgierd said something about how there's nothing but a void after death, when I JUST spent 8 hours hanging out with the ghost of his brother

Maybe that's all there is for him since he was dumb enough to sell his soul to a devil.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NotNut posted:

Every time Olgierd opened his mouth to bemoan the fate of his existence all I could think was "I cannot wait for Gaunter O'Dimm to just ruin your poo poo"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe that's all there is for him since he was dumb enough to sell his soul to a devil.

I’m letting that fucker die this go around. Everything about him is offensive and lovely.

Also, he’s probably the one of the characters with the most depth in the entire game, and so well written. Why else would I hate him as much as I do? So yeah, not lifting a finger for him at the big meetup.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I’m letting that fucker die this go around. Everything about him is offensive and lovely.

Also, he’s probably the one of the characters with the most depth in the entire game, and so well written. Why else would I hate him as much as I do? So yeah, not lifting a finger for him at the big meetup.

Yeah, I should have. In retrospect, the risk that O'Dimm offers seems so vastly out of proportion to the benefit that going up against him seems really dumb and the only reason to do so is because you have the power of save/load. He's the one opponent that I wish I'd just backed away from, honestly. Oh well.

In other news, Euphoria is busted as hell! Don't mind me, just loading up on 3 decoctions at once and going to loving town. I just can't pick which three since I still don't have Troll.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ravenfood posted:

In other news, Euphoria is busted as hell! Don't mind me, just loading up on 3 decoctions at once and going to loving town. I just can't pick which three since I still don't have Troll.

Assuming you are high on ekimara and echidna, the one that gives 100% crits when you have full health is good since you’ll be topped off most of the time. I think it’s water hag?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Assuming you are high on ekimara and echidna, the one that gives 100% crits when you have full health is good since you’ll be topped off most of the time. I think it’s water hag?

Water hag gives 50% extra damage at top health yeah. Using that one and ehkidna, probably will add ekimara. Either way, it's nuts and probably should be the capstone instead of metamorphosis.

E: Jesus Christ Aerondight! Blood and Wine is all about giving you so much overpowered poo poo to use. I can't even get it to max level because I keep killing poo poo in combat too fast.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 8, 2020

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
drat hearts of stone was so good. Finally got around to the dlc and decided to play through the main campaign a second time before tackling it. I’m not sure how blood and wine can top it but apparently it does.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Olgierd's goth gf added to the top of the wives list

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Archgriffin decoction allows you to take on 💀💀 monsters quite easily. Assuming you can dodge well.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’ve logged 116 hours and I’m just now doing the Kaer Morhen quests. This game is insane

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Same. Plus I want that saddle.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Anything O'Dimm can offer you is extremely meh. Also taking anything from him after playing through all HoS is a dubious decision.

He's a demon that cursed a person. Maybe that person was lovely to being with, maybe he wasn't. But you're a Witcher, and lifting curses is what you do.

If you're looking for a justification to help, that is it.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 8, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

itry posted:

Anything O'Dimm can offer you is extremely meh. Also taking anything from him after playing through all HoS is a dubious decision.

He's a demon that cursed a person. Maybe that person was lovely to being with, maybe he wasn't. But you're a Witcher, and lifting curses it what you do.

Lifting curses from actual victims, not whiny bohemians who hosed up their life because their twu luv wouldnt marry their broke rear end.

Edit: because her parents wouldn't let her since he squandered his trust fund and his sprawling family estate to have fun carousing and drinking and then when he didn't get what he wanted he cursed a guy doing nothing wrong and voluntarily agreed to murder his own brother to get rich again so he could get her parents approval oh and lets not forget he's apparently pillaging and raping his way across the countryside for lack of anything better to do.

Really all around stand up guy totally doesn't deserve what happens to him.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 8, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, she wanted to marry him. The family was the problem.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

itry posted:

He's a demon that cursed a person. Maybe that person was lovely to being with, maybe he wasn't. But you're a Witcher, and lifting curses is what you do.

There's risking your life killing a monster who will probably kill more people and there's voluntarily entering a rigged contest with a cheating devil with your soul at stake to save one other (lovely) person's.

There's a reason every contract gives you the opportunity to decline when you hear it, and you were not hired by either party to help Olgierd get out of his contract.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I beat Dimm because I assumed the gameplay would be neat but man I was unhappy at Olgierd getting to go off all positive. Absolute douchebag, one of the worst people in the game (and there's a lot of competition).

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ravenfood posted:

There's risking your life killing a monster who will probably kill more people and there's voluntarily entering a rigged contest with a cheating devil with your soul at stake to save one other (lovely) person's.

There's a reason every contract gives you the opportunity to decline when you hear it, and you were not hired by either party to help Olgierd get out of his contract.

Don't you basically banish O'Dimm? That's helping more than one person.

And Geralt does what he can if he happens across a monster/curse, regardless if he gets payed or not.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

itry posted:

Don't you basically banish O'Dimm? That's helping more than one person.

And Geralt does what he can if he happens across a monster/curse, regardless if he gets payed or not.

You do, but the run-up to that doesn't make it clear that that's going to happen at all and I'm actually not sure why it does. The agreement you make is basically double or nothing. There's nothing said beforehand about banishing O'Dimm at all.

And yeah, he does, but I feel like he still has limits in terms of sane risks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think he'd have lived to 100 if he made a habit of gambling his soul to save the scum of the earth. But everyone gets to play like they want.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

No Wave posted:

I beat Dimm because I assumed the gameplay would be neat but man I was unhappy at Olgierd getting to go off all positive. Absolute douchebag, one of the worst people in the game (and there's a lot of competition).

I always thought Olgierd pre-immortality was an rear end in a top hat because of depression and alcoholism, not some inherent character flaw. After immortality he’s pillaging bc he’s bored. He’s not supposed to be that sympathetic but he’s not completely unsympathetic.

That was my takeaway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finished the base game on my replay, clocking in at 90 hours. I got the witcher ending and I gotta say the game faked me out because I actually thought she was dead. I got the empress ending on my first run so I don’t think I’d seen that scene before and thought maybe I was supposed to not encourage her to go into the tower or something

I also feel almost bad for emhyr in that ending. Poor dude dies thinking his daughter is dead.

Not that bad, because he sucks, but it’s a little raw

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I always thought Olgierd pre-immortality was an rear end in a top hat because of depression and alcoholism, not some inherent character flaw. After immortality he’s pillaging bc he’s bored. He’s not supposed to be that sympathetic but he’s not completely unsympathetic.

That was my takeaway.
Killing your brother isn't a character flaw?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 8, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

That was my takeaway.

So you think the depression and alcohol was a factor before or after he agreed to kill his brother for money/status

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He was penniless and desperate when gaunter approached him

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

itry posted:

Archgriffin decoction allows you to take on 💀💀 monsters quite easily. Assuming you can dodge well.

It's also pretty much required to beat the last few main story bosses and stuff like gargoyles and golems as a sign build.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He was penniless and desperate when gaunter approached him

Oh well that absolves him of all responsibility for his actions then!

Why are so many people rushing to defend this guy who made a with a devil and is shown to have hurt and abused hundreds of people including those close to him and loved him?

Moral complexity blah blah blah there is literally nothing redeemable about Olgierd this is the tale of the man who does whatever it takes to get whatever he wants and is shocked there are consequences.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 8, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The question that the finale of HoS asks the player is "Do you think a repehensible person can change, and do you think someone who has done terrible things deserves the chance to try to do so?"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Why would he change? There isnt a single redeemable thing about him except that other people put way too much faith in him for some reason.

I don't really get how that's the takeaway from HoS when Olgierd has done nothing good or redemptive through the entire game, but I never was that into HoS anyways.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

The question that the finale of HoS asks the player is "Do you think a repehensible person can change, and do you think someone who has done terrible things deserves the chance to try to do so?"

Yes, also it’s this dude v the literal devil. Not a very compelling story or choice if Olgierd is easy to relate to.

As it stands, they left just enough of a speck for possible redemption/rehabilitation in Olgierd to make it worthwhile for the player to consider.