Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
So we have one confirmed goon fatality but this time the mods got him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Colonel Cancer posted:

Looks like it, apparently some ausgoon known for being a sex pest

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Burts got a week before death barge. I’m ready.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Colonel Cancer posted:

What?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Some re-reg a few pages back, was just getting into his (if true) case of the vids then got perma'd for being a rereg.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

poverty goat posted:

the purpose of a quarantine isn't to keep people inside the quarantine from getting sick, and with that in mind a cruise ship is the perfect place to have a quarantine. the cruise lines should just rent out their empty ships as quarantine facilities.

e: not even being totally cynical. cruise ships are designed for autonomy and (some degree of) comfort for the guests, and have beds, kitchens and basic medical facilities onboard. with sensible policies you could let quarantined people get fresh air and use some ship facilities in a way you couldn't if they were in a hotel in town or on a base, and you don't have to worry about one rear end in a top hat sneaking off to go to a crowded concert

As we discovered with the cruise ship quarantine in Japan, this is only true for the passengers.

The crew work & live in the most ideal possible environment for spreading contagious disease. To keep the passengers quarantined from each other the crew has to interact with the passengers even more than normal.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Out for a pub lunch earlier, the UK continues to stick its collective head in the sand. Didn't see a single mask in a city with known infections.

I think the news has made everything a crisis for so long that people are burnt out, won't really do anything till they see it directly.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

lofi posted:

Out for a pub lunch earlier, the UK continues to stick its collective head in the sand. Didn't see a single mask in a city with known infections.

I think the news has made everything a crisis for so long that people are burnt out, won't really do anything till they see it directly.

It doesn't help that everything *is* in a crisis, and there's so much poo poo breaking down at once that it's hard to stay focused on a single problem.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

John_A_Tallon posted:

From what I've heard nursing courses tend to and be cut throat and have a high washout rate. And again hearsay says that the nurses that don't actually care tend to get out of the profession within a couple of years of entering it.

Hearsay from friend/housemate doing it and multiple other friends doing it (UK): it hard. Like, not only doing a uni course but also doing placements that gradually place you further in line of being responsible for care in various situations ranging from hospitals to home visits for ornery horder schizophrenic diabetics. Many student nurses will also take carer bank shifts, which is basically being a care worker in hospital, to supplement the loan/bursary to live, on your weekend days off.

It's like doing a STEM degree but also for periods you have to work full time in health care, certainly doing night shifts in your third year, also writing essays. It's pretty brutal, especially if you have the idea of doing a degree and just learning in a sheltered way. Nursing degree guarantees you will work hard and see poo poo. Even regardless of the workload you will see people die, on the reg because that's just how it goes in the icu or geriatric ward.

You tough up on the course, and then when you graduate it continues. Massive fuckin respect for nurses who just keep doing their thing. Like I remember my housemate coming home for the first time saying I just saw someone die, got a drink? Poured one out and listened to him talking about someone just slipping away right there while everyone tried the absolute best on a code. It's pretty brutal. Also whenever someone is like eh rude dark sense of humor bad, it's like, have you been on the front line of caring for people dying? Actually the dark sense of humour stops the medical professionals going insane. Thanks for listen to my Ted talk

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shaocaholica posted:

Burts got a week before death barge. I’m ready.

They’re holding a ship off the coast of Florida now. Lol idk man

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lofi posted:

Aren't the masks supposed to be actually kinda useless in a public setting?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I just went to the grocery store to buy some beer and potatoes and the lady and the cashier was coughing, so I informed the manager and got her sent home without pay and told not to come back, and I was permitted to pick new items from the shelves which the manager then disinfected for me.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

haha j/k, i just let her cough on my groceries

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Florida ship
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/03/08/regal-princess-cruise-held-off-florida-coast-awaiting-coronavirus-tests-for-two-crew/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Burt, just accept that money is gone and skip the cruise

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

use google maps to do a virtual cruise

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Glumslinger posted:

Burt, just accept that money is gone and skip the cruise

Wife now suggests Vegas suite at the cosmo like last year now. That link scared her lol

I can get a cruise credit, airfare would be gone

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Envisioning an "I am Legend" scenario where the navy sinks the cruise ships to cut the losses

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Burt Sexual posted:

Wife now suggests Vegas suite at the cosmo like last year now. That link scared her lol

I can get a cruise credit, airfare would be gone

She should really stop trying to go on vacation. This is a global crisis. I don't understand the lack of perspective here, honestly!

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

lofi posted:

Off to do a big Tesco shop in the morning. Hope they’ve got some bog roll left!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

lofi posted:

Didn't HSBC just evacuate it's London building on Friday after they learned a worker tested positive? I mean, I don't know what type of banking they do. If they handle physical money, that's kind of a big deal.

I'm in the USA and our business is considering making anyone who goes on vacation out of the country to work from home for 2 weeks following their return.

The problem is this virus can take up to 14 days just to show symptoms.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 8, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lofi posted:

Masks should only be used by the known infected, except in cases where you know you are dealing with known infected

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

monkeytennis posted:

Off to do a big Tesco shop in the morning. Hope they’ve got some bog roll left!

I was in a large Sainsbury's earlier and they had decent supplies of toilet roll and handwash, didn't see any panic buyers to point and laugh at.

But in regards to wearing masks in the UK, what can you do other than be alert and informed? The actions of people who want to cosplay The Walking Dead scare me more than the virus does at the moment, although I know it's nothing to gently caress around with.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 8, 2020

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

hemale in pain posted:

Aren't the masks supposed to be actually kinda useless in a public setting?

Yep. For most people masks are pointless and the best precautions they can take are washing their hands frequently and not touching their face.

Properly fitted masks worn by those who have symptoms of some type of respiratory infection could help reduce the spread, but only if they can be changed for new masks frequently and only in conjunction with other precautions.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Philthy posted:

Didn't HSBC just evacuate it's London building on Friday after they learned a worker tested positive? I mean, I don't know what type of banking they do. If they handle physical money, that's kind of a big deal.

I mean it's HSBC so probably a fair bit of physical money given the majority of their business is money laundering.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Don't touch your friend

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

Masks should only be used by the known infected, except in cases where you know you are dealing with known infected

Sure, I'm just referring to them as a visible metric of concern.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was really pleased this morning to see a public health expert tweet "Don't touch your face (good luck with that)" in the list of things to do and not do. Like, if you aren't already trained, it's hard.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If the release of DOOM Eternal gets cancelled I'm sneezing on everyone everywhere.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I, John Romero, assure you DOOM Eternal will release on time.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
What if Gaben dies of the roni and they cancel the new half life game :(

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

If the release of DOOM Eternal gets cancelled I'm sneezing on everyone everywhere.

I can't think of a better time to release Doom Eternal then when a lot of people are working from home.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was really pleased this morning to see a public health expert tweet "Don't touch your face (good luck with that)" in the list of things to do and not do. Like, if you aren't already trained, it's hard.

If people actually followed the "wash your hands frequently and don't touch your face" advice often enough that new habits were formed, it would reduce the transmission rates of other nasties, too. I can't remember which particular nasty it was, but Hong Kong saw a dramatic drop in the rate of normal flu cases during one of the "super flu" panics because people were taking precautions against the super flu.

It's pretty funny that we spend enormous amounts of money on antibacterial products in the West, but simple measures like proper hand washing and not touching your face aren't nearly as ingrained as they should be.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I've been trusting my healthy diet to give me those ghost poos/or one wipe wonders as I'm saving my toilet rolls for the real end game. No wiping till a vaccine appears

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Girlfriend's watching cruft 2020 and there's a bunch of coughing people in the stands apparently lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Burt not go on death barge. Touching / licking slots and blackjack chips instead

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
You’ll have to pry my face out of my cold dead hands

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
fart plumes in your eye, lots of old people die, that's The Roni

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What if you just laminate your face?

Adbot