Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I kind of hope the remake goes to great lengths to make that line verbatim, but also make sense.

"There's been a few guys like this turning up recently. Nobody really knows what's wrong with them. None of the slum doctors can come up with a diagnosis. All we can say is that all of them, like this guy, are sick."

They 100% are gonna do something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
they'll make it a trophy name for using an antidote

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I'd be OK with a trophy name too honestly

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I wonder if this will have fishing. "RPG needs fishing" after all and the fishing in 15 owned.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it a JRPG? It'll have fishing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I wonder if this will have fishing. "RPG needs fishing" after all and the fishing in 15 owned.

In Final Fantasy XIV you can fish in literal toxic waste so entirely possible.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

In Final Fantasy XIV you can fish in literal toxic waste so entirely possible.

I recently spent half an hour fishing a little baby fishman out of that waste. I am familiar.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

fishing is introduced as an alternative to getting a chocobo for crossing the marshes: catch fish, distract snake with fish, run fast

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

or become champion fisher and catch the Zolem itself

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

HD DAD posted:

IIRC they translated the famous “I wanna be a blitzball” error back into Japanese for the X remaster.

As far as I know, that wasn't an error in translation. It's exactly what was said in Japanese as well. They actually fixed it to "blitzball player" in the Japanese remaster, where it was left as is in English.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Naw, they'll reserve the "This guy are sick" trophy for when Tifa stays in Mideel to take care of Cloud.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

precision posted:

If they pronounce it Jee-NO-vah I'm out!
ジェノバ
Jenoba
Should be in the clear, that's a short e sound in English.

precision posted:

There's no way Jenova wasn't meant to be a reference to Jehovah, considering Sephiroth is similar to Seraphim and has a song literally called "One Winged Angel"
Probably a portmanteau of Jehovah and Nova. "New god" certainly fits some of the themes present.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I hope this game sells a stupid amount of money so they make FF6 remake soon after.

I'm gonna buy it just for that even tho I kinda hated FF7

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

you can't just drop that poo poo and not talk about why you didn't like it

spill, nerd

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh, good call.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

AnarkiJ posted:

Yeah this was basically my thinking but I only know most biblical references third hand. I know other FF's have used biblical names, often with different spellings though not always. I did always wonder whether the names were intentionally changed or if it was just a kind of best fit for the Japanese language that got re translated as something different, as it's not always consistent.

Edit replying to above

See Nibelheim I figured was actually a Norse reference, the Nine Realms are named Niflheim, Muspelheim, Asgard, Midgard, Jotunheim, Vanaheim, Alfheim, Svartalfheim, Helheim. Midgar was Midgard minus a letter and Nibelheim is Niflheim with an altered second syllable.

Slow edit- efb

Nearly every piece of gear is also a vague allusion to some mythos but spelled slightly off.

In fact, I believe one of the summons was a hint at the first few words of genesis. While the earth had (round) form, it was also surrounded by eternity, which was many (k)nights.

V: Yes I was joking about these things being very obvious.

wit fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 8, 2020

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

wit posted:

Nearly every piece of gear is also a vague allusion to some mythos but spelled slightly off.

In fact, I believe one of the summons was a hint at the first few words of genesis. While the earth had (round) form, it was also surrounded by eternity, which was many (k)nights.

I thought it was just a "knights of the round table" reference, unless you're joking about these things being very obvious?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oswald ownenstein posted:

I hope this game sells a stupid amount of money so they make FF6 remake soon after.

I'm gonna buy it just for that even tho I kinda hated FF7

Why did you though what did the game do to you

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If this sells well they ain't gonna make ff6 remake they will just make more ff7 instead. The lead producer straight up admitted it as such.

quote:

Final Fantasy 7 is a game which, if it just stayed as the original, would just be remembered as something from the past and people wouldn’t be as engaged with it. I think in order to be something that continues to be loved and followed by future generations we have to keep updating it as we’re doing now. And in 10 years time, 20 years time, it may need to be done again! So even if this is the only thing that I do in the rest of my career, I won’t be disappointed.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-developer-want-the-saga-to-/1100-6474177/

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If this sells well they ain't gonna make ff6 remake they will just make more ff7 instead. The lead producer straight up admitted it as such.
That said, Kitase's expressed personal interest in a FFV remake, at least.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-developer-want-the-saga-to-/1100-6474177/

i can't wait for reremake

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I didn't want to go there but there won't be a big project FF6 (or any other game) remake unless it's a passion project of a high-up and he somehow convinces the even higher-ups. "I'd like to make VS2" has been around for years and yet...

Considering Kitase wants to do a FF5 remake it would not surprise me if they pushed for that next.

If there's ever a FF6 Remake it'll be because someone up there really insisted, because otherwise all you're gonna get is more FF7. Endless FF7. Just like how you got advent children and the thousand ff7 spinoffs before FF6, if FF7R is successful you're gonna get another wave of endless trash.

quote:

So even if this is the only thing that I do in the rest of my career, I won’t be disappointed.

This pretty much sums it up lol.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How did they like Chrono Trigger over in Japan? The two games are pretty contemporary and frankly I think Chrono Trigger was better than 6.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nessus posted:

How did they like Chrono Trigger over in Japan? The two games are pretty contemporary and frankly I think Chrono Trigger was better than 6.

CT didn't sell as well as FF6. It wasn't bad, but if they're going by sales figures, I don't think modern Square is gonna have a lot of interest in revisiting it.

The entire FF6 series including re-releases, remasters and so on until now has sold about as much as the original release of the FF7. They are gonna be milking this cow until it's dry.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

loving hell thats a miserable thought :/

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I want them to do something like Parasite Eve, but not a remake of the original game, just the idea of an actiony jrpg in a modern setting with some strange stuff.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

ZZZorcerer posted:

I want them to do something like Parasite Eve, but not a remake of the original game, just the idea of an actiony jrpg in a modern setting with some strange stuff.

Pretty sure that wish was already made, and the monkey's paw delivered The 3rd Birthday.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chrono Trigger's popularity and legendary status seems to have built up years after it came out. I'm not surprised FF6 sold better, given that it's a sequel.

My dream FF6 remake would make it look entirely like Yoshitaka Amano's painting style. We have the technology for it. How cool would it be to play a living painting?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A big 3D re imagining of 6 probably has like a 1% chance of ever happening, but maaaaaan it would be rad

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just want a Switch port that doesn't look like a poo poo mobile game like every other attempt Square has made to port those games does.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Psycho Knight posted:

Pretty sure that wish was already made, and the monkey's paw delivered The 3rd Birthday.

"Modern setting with some strange stuff"... Deadly Premonition is available on like every platform lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One day Deadly Premonition may even find a platform it can run on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I mean this isn't hugely shocking.'

We're on our third remake of the original Pokemon games. Hell, we're on our third remake of Medievil for some reason. I've been doing game reviews for... gently caress me.. almost 20 years now to the point where I am now regularly encountering remakes and ports of games I reviewed when they first came out. If you count reboots we're even further along.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

i can't wait for reremake

The year is 2040 and Square-Enix-Bandai-Namco-Activision-Blizzard is releasing the hotly awaited remake of the FFVII remake, finally updating this timeless classic action game to a... wait a minute :crossarms: turn-based RPG? What a weird choice.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd be fine with a more faithful remake of FFVI - make the environments 3D, update all the 2D sprites so they're actually animated and stuff, throw in some fancy modern effects to make it look all cool and shiny. It doesn't need the FFVII treatment, although I admit it would look cool as hell.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean this isn't hugely shocking.'

We're on our third remake of the original Pokemon games. Hell, we're on our third remake of Medievil for some reason. I've been doing game reviews for... gently caress me.. almost 20 years now to the point where I am now regularly encountering remakes and ports of games I reviewed when they first came out. If you count reboots we're even further along.

I'd love a remake of MediEvil 2, or a third game. The first never really grabbed me but the wacky Victorian poo poo was great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want a FFV remake as long as they make it even more of a Saturday morning cartoon.

Also Faris is trans prove me wrong.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd be fine with a more faithful remake of FFVI - make the environments 3D, update all the 2D sprites so they're actually animated and stuff, throw in some fancy modern effects to make it look all cool and shiny. It doesn't need the FFVII treatment, although I admit it would look cool as hell.

Give it the octopath traveller treatment

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think FF6 would probably look pretty bad in full 3D, especially the character designs wouldn't stand up.

Higher res 2D sprites might work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

do you think they're just gonna stretch the sprites out to long 3d