Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bored As gently caress posted:

Same. I have $2300 in my Robinhood account, but around 40 in my 401k. And I'm hosed if another crash happens and it impacts the pension fund I'll be relying on in another 25 or so years. Unless I put $10k into some amazing bets and turn it into $500k, if a crash happens I'm hosed. And I don't have 10k, nor am I willing to bet that much.

For me, at least, I got lucky and haven't bought stocks in a good long while and decided to start buying stocks for this year right when things started really going to poo poo, so while my portfolio is in the red I'm feeling pretty good about long-term poo poo, especially since I'm making great gains on my stupid bets during these volatile times. Still, like, I think a lot of people bought SPY puts weeks ago and are truly, truly disappointed that it's not at 250 or something. Like, bud, stock market drops ruin lives.

Gambling is fun though! Keep it light-hearted, reddit, gently caress. What won't they ruin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Bored As gently caress posted:

Same. I have $2300 in my Robinhood account, but around 40 in my 401k. And I'm hosed if another crash happens and it impacts the pension fund I'll be relying on in another 25 or so years. Unless I put $10k into some amazing bets and turn it into $500k, if a crash happens I'm hosed. And I don't have 10k, nor am I willing to bet that much.

Are you saying that a current crash will negatively impact you 25 years from now or that if there's a crash exactly when you're trying to retire that you'll be hosed then? I mean that's sort of the undeniable truth for most everyone attempting to retire at that specific time.

Even a 40k/zero contribution 401k for 25 years at 8% is a quarter mil. Not amazing but nothing to scoff at either (assuming you have a non-nuked pension).

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Its also not like they hand you a comically large check with your entire 401k balance at market price when you retire. Ideally you're pulling from it the same way you bought into it. Sure you spend it faster but its still ideally over at least a couple decades, and even leaving some behind!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheKevman posted:

Are you saying that a current crash will negatively impact you 25 years from now or that if there's a crash exactly when you're trying to retire that you'll be hosed then? I mean that's sort of the undeniable truth for most everyone attempting to retire at that specific time.

Even a 40k/zero contribution 401k for 25 years at 8% is a quarter mil. Not amazing but nothing to scoff at either (assuming you have a non-nuked pension).

A little of both, actually. I remember reading that some states and localities reduced pension benefits after 2008, and I worry about that. I worry that a true recession could force municipalities to reduce benefits for those who either, 1) haven't entered the municipal/state workforce yet, 2) haven't retired yet (me) or 2) even those who have retired already. I have significant doubts that the state's pension system (much less my municipalities') as it currently stands would remain solvent during a major recession, much less a depression.

And 8% I think is a little optimistic, but yeah, you're right.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Still seems better to me always with oil to wait for a trend to turn and miss the first 10% move. If it drops to $25 seems safe to go long but there’s no rush right now.

Want to revise this to $10 and also say you’re probably safe to short everything in the world on Monday.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've been thinking about buying up a bunch of CCL and hang onto it until this whole thing blows over........

Then I can say I cruised to some easy gains!!! :yarr:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WSB has kinda been depressing lately but this is hilarious lol. Trump as Gollem and Buffet as Gandalf is on point.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

I already apologized and realize how hosed up it is to believe that, the conversation is over.

I'll grant you that mea culpa, but on the other hand, you seem to be running with the CSPAM crowd that is actively rooting for an economic collapse that will 100% hurt the most economically vulnerable and cause real human suffering. The idea that economic collapse hurts the 0.001% but doesn't hurt the people at the bottom is insanely wrong.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've been thinking about buying up a bunch of CCL and hang onto it until this whole thing blows over........

Youre nuts. I dont know how old you are but do you remember what happened to the airlines after 9/11? This is kind of like that for the cruise lines but cruises are 100% discretionary vs airlines which are definitely a critical form of global transport. No government is going to move an inch to help a cruise line and no one is going to take a cruise when cruises are all over the news for being involuntarily quarantined and stranded at sea. I’d argue its an almost unparalleled existential threat to an entire industry.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 8, 2020

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I'm going to short the gently caress out of everything Monday. gently caress it.

Got the inside scoop of the first possible cases in my town from some friends who work at the hospital. Hasn't hit the news yet. Just a minor city. Crazy how fast it moves.

:corona:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Be able to buy a whole loving cruise ship at the bankruptcy sale for pretty cheap soon.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ulio posted:

WSB has kinda been depressing lately but this is hilarious lol. Trump as Gollem and Buffet as Gandalf is on point.

That implies that whoever Elrond is is also agent Smith

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

paternity suitor posted:

I'll grant you that mea culpa, but on the other hand, you seem to be running with the CSPAM crowd that is actively rooting for an economic collapse that will 100% hurt the most economically vulnerable and cause real human suffering. The idea that economic collapse hurts the 0.001% but doesn't hurt the people at the bottom is insanely wrong.

I get that, I really do. I guess what I'm really rooting for is the chance for entrenched capitalistic interests to be dealt a blow, which may not be the same thing as the stock market eating poo poo. However, I still don't quite understand how a crashed stock market leads to the suffering of the lower class instead of the upper class - the middle class I can understand, since we're more likely to have taken out mortgages and be saving for retirement.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I get that, I really do. I guess what I'm really rooting for is the chance for entrenched capitalistic interests to be dealt a blow, which may not be the same thing as the stock market eating poo poo. However, I still don't quite understand how a crashed stock market leads to the suffering of the lower class instead of the upper class - the middle class I can understand, since we're more likely to have taken out mortgages and be saving for retirement.

On its own, sure, a stock crash isn't going to hit the less wealthy, all things equal. But it's rarely on its own--lately these things go hand-in-hand with recessions or worse. And for the first time in a long while the lowest-income quartile is making some progress compared with the rich:

And that's generally how things have gone in the US, since Reagan anyway, where it's during the latter parts of an expansion when the folks at the bottom start to do better. It happened at the end of the Clinton boom and it's happening right now. Unemployment is very low and we're finally starting to see that translate into "worker shortages" and wage increases in various sectors. For the first time in a long while people like convicts and those straight out of rehab--a group that was pretty much devastated after the 2008 crash when they were competing against college grads for entry-level jobs--can re-enter the workforce without nearly as much difficulty. This is a good thing!

I 100% agree that wealth has been concentrated far too much at the top of the chain but praying for panic or recession seems more about indulging in spite than effectively addressing any of the issues. Much better to encourage economic growth and then tax the poo poo out of those who are receiving disproportionate benefits from it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

The way to stick it to the man is not to invest in his companies. You need to short everything to bring down the hegemony.

Take out some loans, borrow as many stocks as you can, and just loving sell them all. CEOs will hate you.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Because the stock market isn't removed from the broader economy. It isn't a perfect measure of the economy by any means, but it's a measure nonetheless. It's possible that we could have a correction, kind of like what's been occurring, which is really just a reduction of valuation multiples. That's fine. But if we enter a recession, that means that earnings have decreased, and when earnings decrease, people lose their jobs, and employment tends to be LIFO - employers tend to hire disadvantaged members of society last, and then fire them first.

I think that what you're rooting for is the people who tend to own a lot of stocks (obscenely rich people) to eat poo poo. Ok, fair. But those stocks they own are just fractional shares of companies that employ people. Should those companies be paying employees more? Sure. But a recession ain't gonna make that happen. What happens in recessions is that companies go lean, let people go, overwork their existing employees, and take the attitude "you don't like it? Fine, leave"

Agronox posted:

On its own, sure, a stock crash isn't going to hit the less wealthy, all things equal. But it's rarely on its own--lately these things go hand-in-hand with recessions or worse. And for the first time in a long while the lowest-income quartile is making some progress compared with the rich:

And that's generally how things have gone in the US, since Reagan anyway, where it's during the latter parts of an expansion when the folks at the bottom start to do better. It happened at the end of the Clinton boom and it's happening right now. Unemployment is very low and we're finally starting to see that translate into "worker shortages" and wage increases in various sectors. For the first time in a long while people like convicts and those straight out of rehab--a group that was pretty much devastated after the 2008 crash when they were competing against college grads for entry-level jobs--can re-enter the workforce without nearly as much difficulty. This is a good thing!

I 100% agree that wealth has been concentrated far too much at the top of the chain but praying for panic or recession seems more about indulging in spite than effectively addressing any of the issues. Much better to encourage economic growth and then tax the poo poo out of those who are receiving disproportionate benefits from it.

Yes, exactly this! What we really want is the economy to continue to do well and expand, but fix the way the expansion is distributed. It's toxic, spiteful, and insanely privileged to root for catastrophe.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Oil is going to be so hosed on Monday

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

paternity suitor posted:

Yes, exactly this! What we really want is the economy to continue to do well and expand, but fix the way the expansion is distributed. It's toxic, spiteful, and insanely privileged to root for catastrophe.

One could just as easily say that it’s toxic, spiteful, and insanely privileged to root for capital.

I hold stocks and only do (and would only do) so for personal gain, but I don’t pretend like most of the companies I invest in haven’t acted with a bestial morality only moderately reined in by a mostly uncaring first-world public. The companies we invest in fire people all over the world without a moment of care and then turn around and reward the C-levels. The companies we invest in fight tooth and nail from getting highly taxed or taxed at all. If you believe in climate change and see how most of the planet lives, anyone in the first world is more likely to be vilified by history than praised for their ability to provide jobs.

Not reveling in the cruelty of the system doesn’t make you reflexively moral, so stop acting so outraged, especially in the gambling thread. Wanting to profit off the misfortune of others is gross, but trying to show that it’s gross because that means one is rooting for a recession also seems gross. A recession hurts people because we support a system where not only does a recession hurt people but so does a bubble and so does business as usual.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Love C-SPAM, great subforum, but put it back where it belongs please and thank you

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

please work from home to keep cspam infections to a minimum

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Love C-SPAM, great subforum, but put it back where it belongs please and thank you

You're right, sorry.

Oh look at the futures. Open down 2.5% and already down another half percent. :stare:

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

If we don't trip a breaker tomorrow I don't know what will.

That was some of the worst 2 days of news we've had yet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oil futures opened down 30%, Dow futures down 1000.

I don’t know why I didn’t hold onto my ES puts Friday afternoon. I was scared by last Monday’s 5% rip up even though I knew we’d get nothing but bad news this weekend. :sigh:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Oil futures opened down 30%, Dow futures down 1000.

I don’t know why I didn’t hold onto my ES puts Friday afternoon. I was scared by last Monday’s 5% rip up even though I knew we’d get nothing but bad news this weekend. :sigh:
Wait so, is the Oil industry is crumbling if it loses 30%?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
More blood for the VIX god.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Grouchio posted:

Wait so, is the Oil industry is crumbling if it loses 30%?

It's not a rosy picture. Couple years ago we had a goon reporting on tankers going into drydock in the Gulf; they didn't have enough demand to keep shipping and those ships cost a lot to keep operational so they were getting mothballed.

Now couple that with:

- A virus which spreads better in airports reducing air travel.
- Multiple quarantines of cruise ships.
- Lots of olds using cruise ships with an old-murdering virus now community transmitting.
- Cost of oil production in the US went up even with fracking.

And you've got a bunch of demand for oil getting knee capped.

Couple that with the U.S.' production easily getting swamped by OPEC, and OPEC and Russia failing to reach a deal to curtail their individual sales, and oil's gonna get cheap. Which'll really gently caress with US production.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mhm mhm. So gas prices shoot down to $1.50?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Maybe you could pull some strings there Donny

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

My TLT and VIX calls will be itm again lmao. Gonna instantly reroll on monday.

I added some XLE on friday lol, that was unlucky timing. But still an ABSOLUTELY beautiful sell off and volatility, great for trading.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Grouchio posted:

Mhm mhm. So gas prices shoot down to $1.50?

I'd doubt it; but American oil extraction will probably take some permanent wounds.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I'd doubt it; but American oil extraction will probably take some permanent wounds.

All the oil exploration/extraction companies have already taken a beating because of their massive debt and nobody willing to borrow them money.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I'd read that $40-$45 a barrel was the number below which Eagle Ford shale extraction became completely unprofitable. West Texas intermediate opened at 30.07.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

saintonan posted:

I'd read that $40-$45 a barrel was the number below which Eagle Ford shale extraction became completely unprofitable. West Texas intermediate opened at 30.07.

Houston, they have a problem.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Woodchip posted:

Houston, they have a problem.

and it's literally Houston that has a problem since so many O&G companies are HQ'd in that city.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I manage a fund that does well with volatility, but this... this is a bit much.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Closed my 3/20 SQQQ call Friday :cry:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I look at the ES at 2840 down 4.2% and want to buy calls for a scalp because surely we won’t stay there until 9:30am much less 4pm. But at the same time, we’ve literally had the biggest down openings of all time in the past 2 weeks: https://www.ft.com/content/54373696-5a39-11ea-abe5-8e03987b7b20

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
EOD Friday I put in a limit order on some SPY puts. I never put limit orders, idk why I did this time; they didn't go through. Sure am glad I saved those ~20 bucks I would've lost on a market order :suicide:

For those of you holding cash to buy in in case of a sellof, are you gonna pick the highest performers pre-crash or do you go for broad indices? Not basing my investments on your opinions, just curious.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I only buy video game company shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

For those of you holding cash to buy in in case of a sellof, are you gonna pick the highest performers pre-crash or do you go for broad indices? Not basing my investments on your opinions, just curious.

I don't know if I'm good enough to do the former so probably stick with the latter