Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

probably a stupid question that's already been answered before - i moved states this year and did my federal for free on creditkarma but can't do my state return there because of the move. what's the best (cheapest) way to file my state taxes?

There are fifty fuckin states, Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

probably a stupid question that's already been answered before - i moved states this year and did my federal for free on creditkarma but can't do my state return there because of the move. what's the best (cheapest) way to file my state taxes?

Print out paper returns and mail them in.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Guess I'm using FreeTaxUSA this year. I just now read the week old news that loving Intuit bought Credit Karma. So loving pissed. They can eat poo poo. The American tax system sucks poo poo and Intuit keeps lobbying to keep it that way. gently caress right off. :mad:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Guess I'm using FreeTaxUSA this year. I just now read the week old news that loving Intuit bought Credit Karma. So loving pissed. They can eat poo poo. The American tax system sucks poo poo and Intuit keeps lobbying to keep it that way. gently caress right off. :mad:

Goddamnit, really? loving gently caress.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I've been trying to delete my Intuit account/data, but whenever I get to the confirmation screen it tells me my password is wrong. The same password I just used to log in 5 minutes prior. Pulled from a password manager.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

KillHour posted:

Goddamnit, really? loving gently caress.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/24/intuit-credit-karma/

I’ve since deleted my Credit Karma account last night and hope since they follow the CCPA as I live in California, that my poo poo is well and truly gone.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Residency Evil posted:

Lol man hopefully next year we do a better job with our W4s, because this year between state and federal taxes we underpaid by 16k.

I'm still confused as to at what point I should be looking at getting an accountant.

Did you already change your W-4 this year? Because, word of warning, they went to a whole new system this year, no more "allowances" in the calculations. They do have a calculator on the IRS website you can play with to generate the new W-4s, not really sure yet whether they're better or not than the old setup though (which fortunately is grandfathered in for everybody who had one).

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is there a filing tool that is going to make it easy to compare our results for MFJ and MFS? I started with Turbotax, but that was going to require me to enter all the information 3 times and my wife had 5 jobs last year so gently caress that.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
99% of the time MFJ is better unless you have specific types of student loan debt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have a solar hot water system but had to replace my hot water tank, cause it was broken. It's one of the special tanks that are designed specifically for solar hot water systems. Does this qualify for a credit on form 5695? The instructions are unclear on this

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Konstantin posted:

99% of the time MFJ is better unless you have specific types of student loan debt.

My wife has an PAYE plan for her student loans, and I was told that this can be affected by having our joint income listed.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Baronash posted:

My wife has an PAYE plan for her student loans, and I was told that this can be affected by having our joint income listed.

Yes, the PAYE payments will take into account both your incomes if you MFJ.

If you file MFS, many deductions won't apply, so you have to run it both ways. Usually MFJ still wins.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Yes, the PAYE payments will take into account both your incomes if you MFJ.

If you file MFS, many deductions won't apply, so you have to run it both ways. Usually MFJ still wins.

Do any of the filing services make this comparison easy to find? I was looking at Turbotax, but their online service requires three accounts in order to do the comparison. That was a bit more of a headache than I was hoping for.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I freelance and get a handful of W2s and a small 1099 every year. I don’t have an organized business entity or anything.

None of my W2 payers offer any retirement plans, but I’d like to do more more tax-advantaged saving in addition to the Roth IRA I’m maxing.

From that rough description, does it sound like I’m eligible to put 25% of the sum of all my w2 gross into an “individual 401k?”

My tax preparer was telling me to start a “SEP” but reading this, that seems to share the same yearly limit as the IRA I already fill. https://investor.vanguard.com/small-business-retirement-plans/comparison

mystes
May 31, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

From that rough description, does it sound like I’m eligible to put 25% of the sum of all my w2 gross into an “individual 401k?”
Does it work this way? I had assumed the solo 401k would just be based your self-employment income, but I would be interest to hear if that's not correct.

I was actually just looking at this stuff and I realized that I probably should have done a solo 401k, but apparently you need an EIN to open one which seems like a massive pain in the rear end. If you get an EIN for a sole proprietorship does that mean you have to file a separate tax return for it?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

eddiewalker posted:

A SEP or a solo 401(k) would be limited just on your self-employment income. You can do that in addition to a Roth, assuming you're under the income limits.

It's hard to say what's best without knowing the amounts and how much you'd like to save.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Small White Dragon posted:

A SEP or a solo 401(k) would be limited just on your self-employment income. You can do that in addition to a Roth, assuming you're under the income limits.

It's hard to say what's best without knowing the amounts and how much you'd like to save.

I only have $4000 worth of 1099 income this year, so maybe it’s not worth the effort

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

mystes posted:

Does it work this way? I had assumed the solo 401k would just be based your self-employment income, but I would be interest to hear if that's not correct.

I was actually just looking at this stuff and I realized that I probably should have done a solo 401k, but apparently you need an EIN to open one which seems like a massive pain in the rear end. If you get an EIN for a sole proprietorship does that mean you have to file a separate tax return for it?

You can apply for an EIN online and you pretty much get it instantly. Make sure you save the PDF that they give you your EIN on because I don't think you can retrieve it again.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So my grandfather gifted me 60 shares of AT&T stock when he passed away in 1999. He wound up with these shares since he bought stock in Woodbury Connecticut Telephone in 197?. Since then it has grown to about 172 shares through dividend reinvestment over the last 21 years. I want to sell this stock and move it to index funds in my Roth IRA since owning individual stocks is not part of my investment strategy.

Probably due to the the Woodbury Telephone --> SNET --> AT&T transition I cannot find a cost basis on any of the documentation. What would be the best way to estimate my tax liability?

My best estimate is that T was trading for about $58 a share in October 1999. So my gains, if I were to sell today, would be about $3,060 and my tax bill would be ~$460 (15% LTCG).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ancillary Character posted:

You can apply for an EIN online and you pretty much get it instantly. Make sure you save the PDF that they give you your EIN on because I don't think you can retrieve it again.
But does having an EIN not change how I file taxes at all? Do I have to have my 1099s go to the EIN rather than my SSN?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

mystes posted:

But does having an EIN not change how I file taxes at all? Do I have to have my 1099s go to the EIN rather than my SSN?

It doesn't unless you go and create a corporation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It doesn't unless you go and create a corporation.
Thanks, but out of curiosity do you know what the point is of requiring an EIN for a solo 401k in the first place then?

I probably should have done the solo 401k last year, but unfortunately right now I'm not sure what my total income or the breakdown between w2 and 1099 income will be so I have no idea what to do now.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 5, 2020

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

mystes posted:

Thanks, but out of curiosity do you know what the point is of requiring an EIN for a solo 401k in the first place then?

I probably should have done the solo 401k last year, but unfortunately right now I'm not sure what my total income or the breakdown between w2 and 1099 income will be so I have no idea what to do now.

I'm not sure, but I think it's because the 401k plan itself is its own entity, and has paperwork that needs to be filed when assets exceed $250k, so it needs its own identification number.

EDIT: You have until the day your taxes are due to make employer-side contributions to a Solo 401k for precisely this reason. Employee-side contributions, however, must be done by December 31st. The 401k plan must be established before the calendar year you want to contribute to is over, so you're already too late for 2019.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 5, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I only have $4000 worth of 1099 income this year, so maybe it’s not worth the effort
If I'm understanding it right, if you're just doing a roth IRA otherwise (not a traditional ira, so the limits on deductible contributions depending on agi if you also have a plan from your employer don't matter), I think you would be able to do the roth IRA contribution and then additionally put 100% of your $4000 in the 401k, which isn't terrible? Someone tell me if I'm wrong about this.

EDIT: You have until the day your taxes are due to make employer-side contributions to a Solo 401k for precisely this reason. Employee-side contributions, however, must be done by December 31st. The 401k plan must be established before the calendar year you want to contribute to is over, so you're already too late for 2019.
I already filed my taxes anyway. :shrug: I don't know why I didn't start really thinking about this stuff until after I had filed my taxes.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I have a question about loving up Roth IRA contributions.

background:
So last year I contributed 5.5k for 2019. I forgot and contributed again and then realized this when doing taxes so I withdrew it (before the deadline).

So for my 2018, I paid taxes on the 100 bux or so on the gains. I read at that time that I would have to file form 8606 and attach my 1099R to the 2019 return...

question:
I'm filling out 8606 right now and it says not to include any amounts where the contributions were returned to me. So basically I have this form with part 1 and 2 empty and part 3 has 3 places where I put down "0".

Is that right?? Seems like I'm doing it wrong...

Also do I need to add a letter of intent explaining this stuff? (I did in the 2018 return). I'm not sure how to do this using the online form though.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 8, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Last year I lived in California the first 9 months and had 0 income, then I got a job in New Mexico where I lived the last 3 months earning income. The NM job was a temp position initially, so I maintained a CA address in the event that the position didn't work out (still have a room/furniture in my old house that my old roommate is using as a guest bedroom). I'm only planning on being in NM until the end of summer before moving back to CA (just working here while the SO finishes grad school), so I haven't actually bothered changing my address in most places, still have CA drivers license / car registration / voter registration, etc.

For tax purposes, was I a full year or part year CA resident? I believe in NM I'm considered a 1st year resident (was in NM for less than 185 days, but was living in NM on the last day of 2019)?

On an unrelated note, on account of not working until the end of 2019, I'm still making 2019 contributions to a Roth IRA. My goal is to hit the contribution limit by 4/15, but it's possible I won't quite get there. How much of a pain is it if my estimated contribution for 2019 ends up differing from my actual contribution (since I'm planning on filing my taxes prior to making all my 2019 contributions)? AFAIK it shouldn't have any effect (negative or positive) on my 2019 tax liability, but would that still require sending some sort of addendum if the numbers are off?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Have kind of an unusual question I think... My wife had one of her paychecks garnished in 2019 due to another state thinking she owed taxes from 2013, which she did not. So she got that cleared up and received the ~$500 back. Now she has a 1099-G for the refund, and I don't know if it's taxable. If it matters, I don't think she filed any taxes in 2013, she was still in school and didn't have a job yet. Anyone know the answer? Thanks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

runawayturtles posted:

Have kind of an unusual question I think... My wife had one of her paychecks garnished in 2019 due to another state thinking she owed taxes from 2013, which she did not. So she got that cleared up and received the ~$500 back. Now she has a 1099-G for the refund, and I don't know if it's taxable. If it matters, I don't think she filed any taxes in 2013, she was still in school and didn't have a job yet. Anyone know the answer? Thanks.

If she deducted the taxes paid in the year that they were taken, it would be included back in income the year she gets the refund.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Am I loving myself over more than necessary by using TurboTax "free" (i.e. they take a chunk out of your refund), or is that one of the better options?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress Intuit. They lobby to keep tax codes as complicated as possible. I used to use Credit Karma Tax, but Intuit bought them too. Use Free Tax USA instead. Name sounds sketchy but it's legit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Am I loving myself over more than necessary by using TurboTax "free" (i.e. they take a chunk out of your refund), or is that one of the better options?

Yes. They charge you a premium for the loan. Also gently caress Intuit. Why would you voluntarily give them money, let alone part of your refund?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:gonk:

Free Tax USA you say. That really does sound sketch...but I'll take a look.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually, I've got a 1095-C and a 1099-HC. Apparently that isn't supported on FTU. Do I need to go elsewhere?

1095-C isn't used anymore or something, and 1099-HC was for the state taxes part.

I owed 5 bux to the IRS :v: But I got a $120 return from MA.

The idea is to get as close to $0 as possible on both counts, right?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 8, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pollyanna posted:

1095-C isn't used anymore or something, and 1099-HC was for the state taxes part.

Really? What happened to it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"Good news! The IRS no longer needs proof that you have health care!"

Something about some Trump bill or another.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

We still get ours.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I didn't have to use it :shrug:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Yes, you still receive the form, but the tax software just asks yes/no if you had health insurance for all of 2019. No need to actually scan it in.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Pollyanna posted:

:gonk:

Free Tax USA you say. That really does sound sketch...but I'll take a look.

It's legit, run by taxhawk.

Usually they have cash back for a lot off too on the usual sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, I've got a 1095-C and a 1099-HC. Apparently that isn't supported on FTU. Do I need to go elsewhere?

I owed 5 bux to the IRS :v: But I got a $120 return from MA.

The idea is to get as close to $0 as possible on both counts, right?

The part where you want to get close to zero is specifically when you're making withholding payments. The idea is to be accurate in what you put on the forms, whatever that may mean in terms of taxes owed.

We don't need the healthcare form because we are supposed to get the healthcare info from other orgs along the chain. You should keep it for your records in case something goes wrong with that process- it's a backstop you can give us if you get audited.

I really hate it when people have healthcare coverage irregularities- those systems are a pain to navigate and were rushed in setup, so there's a lot of manual entry and unusually complex procedures involved.