Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i think older masters-entry programs had you sit for the nclex after the "more or less an absn" first phase, before moving on to the "more or less an msn" phase, but i did hear some newer programs don't have as sharp a divide. i didn't know any were putting the nclex off until the end.

that could be better; more flexibility for scheduling and personal preference about how long to study

My program used to do the NCLEX after the 3rd or 4th semester, but did away with that because nobody (around here at least, including at the university hospital) would hire an RN that was licensed but didn't have a degree in nursing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

computer angel posted:

I'm transfering my license from Canada to USA

You are willingly doing this while The Orange One sits on the throne? You are brave.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
75 minutes, 75 questions and done. Still anxious, but I think I passed.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
In 75, you either passed or you kill people just walking in the room. Good job, goon nurse.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Jamais Vu Again posted:

In 75, you either passed or you kill people just walking in the room. Good job, goon nurse.

I know someone who failed her Nclex with 75 minutes and max time. Last I checked she works at Burger King.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

trauma llama posted:

I know someone who failed her Nclex with 75 minutes and max time. Last I checked she works at Burger King.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I'm interpreting that as two attempts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
No she took max time to fail in 75 questions.

E: I assume

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 17, 2020

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

No she took max time to fail in 75 questions.

E: I assume

This one. Distracted typing is the worst.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I believe my final preceptor during school had to take the NCLEX six or seven times before finally passing.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

B-Mac posted:

I believe my final preceptor during school had to take the NCLEX six or seven times before finally passing.

Don’t they require remedial education if you fail 3 times? Was that just s myth my school propagated?

In relate news, I’m gearing up to take the SEE exam and NBCRNA exams and that has me stressed as gently caress so I should probably not be as much of a poo poo to new nclex takers.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Nope, you can take it as many times as you want/need as far as I know. Can't believe you're taking boards already, good luck dude! I'm actually gearing up to apply this year... oy vey.

edit: what shoes are we wearing these days? I have a pair of new balance's that kinda suck, so looking for a new pair. I know they're pricey but almost tempted to try the FIGS ones.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I wear a pair of Birkenstock clogs when I'm on the floor and love them for the great arch support as well as the fact that standing in them for long periods is actually pleasant. Plus, they're nonslip, the shell will last forever, and I can just replace the insoles as needed.

https://www.birkenstock.com/us/-polyurethane/profibirki-core-polyurethane-0-pu-u.html?dwvar_profibirki-core-polyurethane-0-pu-u_color=3866

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Keds with Birkenstock insoles, I call them my sleeper shoes.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The charge nurse where I work who tells new nurses, "oh, they're ok" because she doesn't want rapid responses called when she's around took 3 attempts to pass. I've seen two new nurses since working here get switched to day shift for closer watch by management because they followed her advice instead of actually intervening. She's been working here 17 years and shmoozes to management like a schoolyard bully and everyone knows she is untouchable, vengeful and self-preserving. She's more concerned about the Bath and Bodyworks yearly candle sale than any patient on the floor and certainly any new nurse.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Iron Lung posted:

edit: what shoes are we wearing these days? I have a pair of new balance's that kinda suck, so looking for a new pair. I know they're pricey but almost tempted to try the FIGS ones.

If you are wanting to stick to sneakers go to an actual running store so they can evaluate your stride and recommend something based on that.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Jamais Vu Again posted:

You are correct. Just got my quick results. Passed.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Hell yeah, congrats goon, RN!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i'm on my second trip through acute care and it's still kicking my rear end. I study so much, I work up from the patho so i know the rationales, I feel like I have a great understanding of the material, and then the exam comes and it just feels like it was for nothing because i blank on lab values or misunderstand what the question is asking

sigh. last time I ended up in a death spiral of anxiety. I guess priority one is take steps to avoid that happening again and step two is to try to figure out what I can do to study more effectively. several people have recommended transcribing the prof's lectures since she writes her own questions. i am loving the clinical for this class but i loving hate the lecture exams

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
when i took the nclex, several years ago, i was taking dr prescribed ativans to calm me down during the exam. i dont identify with my job at all, but it's nice to work agency and see the country, take extended vacations, work 3 days a week. I'll only work pych or corrections. I try to spend all my free time working on coding projects to get out of healthcare.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Any other school district nurses in here? I recently accepted a 0.6 FTE while also keeping up my inpatient mother/baby per diem gig. Been there for the last few months, seems too good to be true, waiting for the shoe to drop. Considering taking a 1.0 FTE if they offer it for next school year and quitting inpatient altogether.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

amethystbliss posted:

Any other school district nurses in here? I recently accepted a 0.6 FTE while also keeping up my inpatient mother/baby per diem gig. Been there for the last few months, seems too good to be true, waiting for the shoe to drop. Considering taking a 1.0 FTE if they offer it for next school year and quitting inpatient altogether.

I work with a Part time E.R nurse who is a full time school nurse for a smaller school district. In general, she enjoys it mainly for the sake that the hours are super cush, plus she gets amazing benefits and the overall workload is quite easy, albeit you deal with annoying kids sometimes along with annoying parents (not unusual in a hospital setting either).

That being said, she did it for a year after working E.D full time and felt like she lost a massive portion of her nursing skills, and hated that she worked hard to become a competent E.R nurse only to let her nursing experience atrophy.

I would say a full time school nurse is a pretty good gig, especially if it really benefits your personal life/schedule, and if you could still work PRN somewhere or be in a specialty area where you get to do some good inpatient nursing it seems like it would be a pretty decent balance, unless you do have that fear of losing your skills.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just passed the ANCC Informatics Nursing certification exam. It was a ball-buster. I thought it was tougher than the drat CCRN.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
The ANCC cardiac/vascular exam was a cake. So far, the hardest has been the CSC - being a heart nurse made the CCRN and its hemodynamics questions pretty straight forward.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Hughmoris posted:

Just passed the ANCC Informatics Nursing certification exam. It was a ball-buster. I thought it was tougher than the drat CCRN.

What the heck are you going to do with Informatics nursing. Is it a chill job? What is it about. Sounds like an 8 hour 5 day a week type thing

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

excellent bird guy posted:

What the heck are you going to do with Informatics nursing. Is it a chill job? What is it about. Sounds like an 8 hour 5 day a week type thing

Update/maintain the EMR system. Gotta keep those IPOCs fresh!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

excellent bird guy posted:

Informatics is the chillest of jobs. Providers want me (to fix things), med-surg nurses want to be me.

I've found the actual role to vary greatly depending on your team and hospital. My last job was great, nursing informatics was involved in all things tech that touched the patient or impacted bedside staff.

My new gig has informatics focusing mainly on improving our EHR and focusing on physician support, which sucks. Part of the reason I'm looking for the door.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Ignore me.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 6, 2020

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
At my new job, it seems it's pretty strictly enforced that nurses are not to clock in until 6:45, when their shift "starts". Yet it's common practice for many RNs (including some of the most experienced nurses) to come in 30-45 minutes early and chart dig on their ~5 patients. This seems like it's just good, safe, fundamental nursing practice to dig before you hit the floor, yet they aren't allowed to get for paid for it. Especially as a new grad, having time to chart dig just seems really critical to safe practice, and I feel like it's bullshit to not get paid for the work I do to keep my patients safe.

I'm just wondering if this is commonplace? If it was just that I was a slow new-grad (which I am), maybe I wouldn't care so much, but the fact that nurses with 15+ years of experience feel the need to do this and aren't being paid really chafes me. It seems like it's illegal, also.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
When I was still working tele management didn’t want you clocking in until your shift start, let’s use 0700 for example. Most people would roll in at 6:30 or 6:45 and look up their patients in the computer off the clock. My rear end wouldn’t be there until 6:55 so I could clock in and start getting info from EPIC, I’m not working off the clock. Took me maybe 10 minutes at most to look stuff up on EPIC and I’m ready at 7:10 for nurse report.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

hobbez posted:

At my new job, it seems it's pretty strictly enforced that nurses are not to clock in until 6:45, when their shift "starts". Yet it's common practice for many RNs (including some of the most experienced nurses) to come in 30-45 minutes early and chart dig on their ~5 patients. This seems like it's just good, safe, fundamental nursing practice to dig before you hit the floor, yet they aren't allowed to get for paid for it. Especially as a new grad, having time to chart dig just seems really critical to safe practice, and I feel like it's bullshit to not get paid for the work I do to keep my patients safe.

I'm just wondering if this is commonplace? If it was just that I was a slow new-grad (which I am), maybe I wouldn't care so much, but the fact that nurses with 15+ years of experience feel the need to do this and aren't being paid really chafes me. It seems like it's illegal, also.

Either clock in when you start looking up patients or wait until you clock in to start working. Don’t work for free. If old nurses want to do that, shame on them. Don’t be part of the problem.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
You aren’t salaried, never loving work for free.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Yeah that was the culture at my hospital too. Tons of nurses would routinely look up their patients for 15+ minutes without getting paid for it. Sucks.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
It’s a HIPAA violation to be in a patient chart when you’re not on the clock. You can’t be looking at people’s stuff on your free time. Also there’s no reason it should take more than 10-15 min to look up your people, even if you do have 5. You should be getting the majority of your need-to-know info during report, you can look up all the deets later.

Don’t work for free. Don’t work for free. Don’t work for free. Ever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not being able to clock in more than 5 or 6 before your shift starts has been normal everywhere I work. Don't work for free.

Also looking up patients for 30+ minutes never helped me. That's what report is for.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The people on my floor who come earlier do so because it's a pain in the rear end to find parking as well as make sure they get the good computers. Otherwise, I never seen them actually start "work" earlier, mainly just chill in the break room until it's report time.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The only reason I clock in early to look up patients is to make sure that lazy rear end Margaret isn't going to pass her 5 o clock abx on to me for the dozenth time.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ravenfood posted:

Not being able to clock in more than 5 or 6 before your shift starts has been normal everywhere I work. Don't work for free.

Also looking up patients for 30+ minutes never helped me. That's what report is for.

Ahhh you must never have had the "I've been busy with my other patients all day, I don't know a thing about this one!" schpeel.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Etrips posted:

Ahhh you must never have had the "I've been busy with my other patients all day, I don't know a thing about this one!" schpeel.

I have. I tell them they need to know regardless and then go read up on them instead of getting report. Or find out who does know and ask. Still not worth reading up before report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I chart dig my patient up after report. Our docs do handoff for about 30 minutes, so unless a patient is actively crumping I have breathing time after nurse report so I can answer doc questions, request orders, and have a plan formulated.