Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

CODChimera posted:

please share all the things you can put in a rice cooker other than rice

i constantly do stupidly big batches of steamed eggs in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CODChimera posted:

also has anyone considered the possibility of power shortages? is that just time to die?

Vodka is fine at room temp.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Some Cuckoo rice cookers have a 'Sweet Potato' setting, and holy cripes do I love a good sweet potato.

I'm assuming that it's meant for Goguma (고구마) (Korean sweet potato), but should work, hopefully, for any sweet potato. Once corona-chan lets me out of the sweet loving embrace of quarantine.

Now I want some roasted Goguma :<

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

facetoucher cat posted:

I was watching some Lady Gaga videos to try and get my mind off of wanting to touch my face and WTF she's always touching her face and licking her fingers, very unhygienic

from a while back but now i can't stop singing "touch your face touch touch touch your face", sorry.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Iranian state-linked media has announced that 16 people have now died from alcohol poisoning in the south-western city of Ahvaz, the latest in a wave of deaths apparently driven by the mistaken belief that alcohol is a vaccine against the coronavirus. Alcohol is banned in the country but is still illegally imported or brewed at home – the latter occasionally resulting in deaths from bad batches.

The head of Iran’s crisis management authority, Ismail Najjar, is the latest official who has contracted the virus, which has now infected 6,500 people according to Iran’s official tally. Nearly 200 people have died, including at least 49 people over the weekend.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

well those 16 people, if that's true, technically did not die of coronavirus so

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
didn't know this subforum had so many iranian posters

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

not an endorsement posted:

well those 16 people, if that's true, technically did not die of coronavirus so

panic related deaths should count for the virus

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm gonna cook so much stew in this crock pot

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

like if I'm drunkenly setting up a generator due to mass power outages and accidentally blow up my house that's one more for the corona virus

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
So people around me seem te be starting to take this more seriously. They're not really expecting it to become a catastrophe if we don't switch over to way more drastic measures but when I tell them I do they no longer think I'm insane and agree that it's not a totally outlandish scenario I'm painting. Also more hand washing, more careful with minor symptoms, so that's all good.

There is very much an attitude of "Eh, what are you going to do" though. I agree that we can't shut down everything as there are certain things people just need to survive, but we can do more working from home, we could not pack 40k people in a football stadium, we could not do massive concerts in sports stadiums. I think there might be hope, I just hope real action won't be too late.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

How much of our power grid parts are made in china?

0%

Power grid is a national security item, like access to space*, uranium ore, tanks, fighter jets etc power is critical to the nation's defense so it's all designed and manufactured in house. If we went to war with China + Russia tomorrow we would still be able to manufacture guns and rifles and bullets because we also manufacture our own power plants and power plant replacement parts

Lithium batteries might be a little harder to come by though, 90%+ of lithium on the planet comes out of a single lithium-salt-lake in Boliva

However if something like the ALMOST oroville dam disaster** had happened, but in two months when we're short on man power, we might have had that dam collapse and kill a bunch of people in a tidal wave of doom

We also have capacity to drill and refine all our own oil/gas indefinitely at $5-6/gallon which is pricey but not crazy... most other countries are dependent on external sources of oil though

* yeah we currently buy access to space from the russians but that's on an annually renewed waiver and we could probably launch people to space now if we absolutely had to
** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroville_Dam

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Griefor posted:

So people around me seem te be starting to take this more seriously. They're not really expecting it to become a catastrophe if we don't switch over to way more drastic measures but when I tell them I do they no longer think I'm insane and agree that it's not a totally outlandish scenario I'm painting. Also more hand washing, more careful with minor symptoms, so that's all good.

There is very much an attitude of "Eh, what are you going to do" though. I agree that we can't shut down everything as there are certain things people just need to survive, but we can do more working from home, we could not pack 40k people in a football stadium, we could not do massive concerts in sports stadiums. I think there might be hope, I just hope real action won't be too late.

My hard core republican/trump lover social media contacts have switched from "shock and denial" to "anger and bargaining" and a couple have already transitioned to "depression, reflection, loneliness"

I think the Ted Cruz republican super star + republican congressman getting it was a real shocker. And then the market tanked tonight. Probably now is a good time to invest in gun and ammo companies because by noon Monday eastern daylight the preppers will be sounding the alarm about _____

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
todays south korea numbers look much better (+165 as opposed to +1000 recently). i assume they quarantined the region with the most cases too?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/bernardharcourt/status/1236792210781331456?s=21

lmao America is a third world country

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/WHOPhilippines/status/1236935944491511819

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPmenQo5ePU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Guardian newspaper suggested that the daily infection rate had slowed in South Korea because they had just got done testing all the members of that church that the epicentre of the infection spread.
Hopefully they will now maintain a slowing rate due to effective quarantine measures.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Griefor posted:

Yes, and the current global growth rate of 5% per day is heavily stifled by the fact that China's 80k has stagnated. Actual growth outside of China is more like 20% a day, I think.

Just keep in mind that this is the number of infected people actually detected. If they're mostly just testing sick people who need some sort of medical attention you can be certain there's a poo poo load of people quite unwell and very contagious still out there in the community.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
(Dutch) https://www.nu.nl/economie/6036053/rabobank-wereldeconomie-flink-gehavend-door-coronavirus.html

Rabobank: World economy badly hurt by Corona virus
The world economy is suffering badly from Corona virus. Rabobank writes in a quarterly message that the world economy will grow at most 1.6 percent - a halving of previous expectations

lol to anyone who thinks the world economy is going to go up at all this year.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Just keep in mind that this is the number of infected people actually detected. If they're mostly just testing sick people who need some sort of medical attention you can be certain there's a poo poo load of people quite unwell and very contagious still out there in the community.

This muddies up the waters for sure as I'm sure growth rates of detected cases and actual cases are not exactly the same, but the growth rate of detected cases should at least correlate somewhat with actual cases.

Until we give up and just stop testing I guess.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Griefor posted:

This muddies up the waters for sure as I'm sure growth rates of detected cases and actual cases are not exactly the same, but the growth rate of detected cases should at least correlate somewhat with actual cases.

Until we give up and just stop testing I guess.

I assume there would be a correlation, you could probably work out a rough idea if you assume that 20% of cases require some form of hospitalisation and 10% require ICU (or whatever the actual percentages are). These are the groups most likely to self report due to the seriousness of their condition, so you have reasonable confidence that everyone with that level of illness is getting counted.

So I guess if you know that roughly 10% of cases required ICU, you can look at the numbers of people in a region requiring ICU and multiply by 10 to get the approximate total number of infected people (who have progressed to the stage where the disease is showing symptoms).

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Number go down today?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

D1E posted:

Number go down today?

Stock Market, yes
Virus, up, up, up!

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/1236839292066041857
https://mobile.twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/1236843649775947776
https://mobile.twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/1236859994194284544

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gohmert, Conway and DeVos!!!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thank you Corona chan

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
cases in madrid jumped from 202 yesterday to 436 today

5% in the icu consistent with other places. 1800 people overall "being monitored" (includes the 436 confirmed)

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gohmert, Conway and DeVos!!!

oh my goodness gracious dear lord jesus in heaven

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

a_pineapple posted:

oh my goodness gracious dear lord jesus in heaven

THANK YOU LORD JESUS FOR PRESIDENT TRUMP!!!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

poty posted:

cases in madrid jumped from 202 yesterday to 436 today

5% in the icu consistent with other places. 1800 people overall "being monitored" (includes the 436 confirmed)

Stay safe Tei :ohdear:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CPAC Memorial Pandemic

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
how does this not all end with a major rework of the US healthcare and social programs lol just kidding

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

legit thought that was Trump before I expanded the thumbnail

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

brugroffil posted:

CPAC Memorial Pandemic

In Memoriam

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

703 posted:

how does this not all end with a major rework of the US healthcare and social programs lol just kidding

If any rich die then they'll rework things find a better way to impose wealth based segregation and rationing.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1236967513008877568?s=19

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dow futures have reached their limit, better save some bad news for monday night