Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lungboy posted:

Cheap fuel helps the global economy doesn't it? It fucks shale gas companies though.

The stock markets are all getting crushed by the news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t understand how anyone involved with TTOI could be a centrist. The entire show is like a manual of what is wrong with the ideology. Armando Iannucci is one as well, it’s bizarre. He made a whole show about how Alistair Campbell is a cancer on the body politic, then made a whole movie about how he’s a war criminal, and then he complained on Twitter when he was expelled from the Labour Party.

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you
it's an economic attack on Iran.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

archaeo posted:

it's an economic attack on Iran.

Could't Iran retaliate by bombing the Saudi desalination plants?

After all what are they gonna do? Invade a biohazard ground zero?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That would invite the US to start throwing missiles at them, which would be bad, as I imagine the government is a bit unpopular right now what with the epidemic.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If there's one way certain to shore up your domestic support, it's got to be when you're trying to deal with a global pandemic and some absolute weapon tries to crash your economy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I think MBS is about to find out how disposable he really is, as the US switches it's support to some other faction within the House of Saud.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/D_Raval/status/1236921720570814464?s=20

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
FTSE was down 9%, has started to stop falling off the cliff and is stabilising around 8.5% down.

Might not hit the breakers :)

ukle fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 9, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Yeah so

Today is probably worse than 2008. But it's fine, we've just voted in a strong and stable Tory government to see us through the next five yea... ahahahahahaha.

Don't have to force companies to give quarantined employees sick pay if nobody is employed anymore :thunk:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The markets :stonklol:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The oil price thing causing all the stocks to fall massively is a bit surprising, since one would think that raw materials getting cheaper should actually help all the firms that are using said raw materials to, you know, produce goods and whatnot (and there are many more of those firms than the ones that make money by moving oil around). But then you remember the current insane state of the economy in general

I've seen articles recently saying that the economy has somehow become reliant on ridiculous bubbles, for example, could someone with access summarise this one: US economy is dangerously dependent on Wall Street whims tia

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

One of the nice things about having no money or pension or anything is that when the market explodes it mostly ruins other people :v:

Guess why so many people voted for Brexit

That quote, "it's your bloody GDP, not ours", remains one of the best summaries I've ever read not just of Brexit but the state of the all of the economies in recent decades

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

The oil price thing causing all the stocks to fall massively is a bit surprising, since one would think that raw materials getting cheaper should actually help all the firms that are using said raw materials to, you know, produce goods and whatnot (and there are many more of those firms than the ones that make money by moving oil around). But then you remember the current insane state of the economy in general

I've seen articles recently saying that the economy has somehow become reliant on ridiculous bubbles, for example, could someone with access summarise this one: US economy is dangerously dependent on Wall Street whims tia

The only part of the American economy outside of SV and FIRE that has expanded over the last ten years is the oil industry, a huge chunk of which will go out of business if oil prices settle below $40. Also the oil thing is just one factor, coronavirus has blown a massive hole in the side of the rest of the western economy. And finally of course because the stock market is completely divorced from reality, even the slightest wobble in the confidence that NUMBER WILL GO UP is enough to throw the whole thing into a spin.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

jaete posted:

quote:

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy.

Watching the markets these days is like watching the seven stages of grief — shock, denial, anger, bargaining, depression, testing and, finally, acceptance. We clearly have not reached that last stage yet. This isn’t really about coronavirus — that was simply a trigger for a correction I have long expected. The US is in the longest economic recovery cycle on record, with mounds of global debt, falling credit quality, and decades of low interest rates driving asset prices to unsustainable levels. 

The reluctance of investors, politicians and central bankers to accept that is not just an example of the natural human tendency to put off pain. Rather it is something scarier and more factual. The truth is that the US economy is now dependent on asset bubbles for survival.

This was sharply quantified in a recent edition of financial analyst Luke Gromen’s weekly newsletter “The Forest for the Trees”. About two-thirds of the US economy is consumer spending. But people’s spending patterns are not based on their income alone. Our personal consumption is also linked to our expectation of wealth held in assets like stocks and bonds.

What’s stunning is how utterly dependent American fortunes have become on the inflation of those asset prices. Mr Gromen has calculated that net capital gains plus taxable distributions from individual retirement accounts are equal to 200 per cent of year on year growth in US personal consumption expenditure. 

That does not necessarily mean that people are pulling money out of their retirement accounts to buy hand-sanitiser, bottled water and face masks. But Mr Gromen argues that it does mean that US gross domestic product “cannot mathematically rise if asset prices are falling”.

No wonder the US Federal Reserve cut rates by 50 basis points last week. The move came with a predictable risk of spooking the market — and it did so. The S&P 500 fell nearly 3 per cent that day. But the fundamental risk of inaction was deemed greater. 

Central bankers are clever people. They know that they cannot fix pandemics or political dysfunction with monetary stimulus. But in the US more than anywhere, they have found themselves in an unenviable position: managing an economy that has, over the last several decades, and particularly since 2008, depended on low interest rates to push up asset prices. That in turn has made it less obvious to consumers (and voters) that average real weekly earnings for the bottom 80 per cent are at about the level they were in 1974, and that the things that make people middle class — healthcare, education, and housing — have become unaffordable. 

Seen in this light, President Donald Trump’s disingenuous attempts to equate the fortunes of Wall Street with those of the country at large make a kind of grim sense. The value of the S&P 500 is less a gauge of the broad health of US corporations or consumers than it is of the wealth of a few tech firms and value of the 2017 tax cuts. The latter accounted for two-thirds of the aggregate rise in corporate profits between 2012 and today. 

But share price increases represent a disproportionate amount of the income tax paid by the top 5 per cent of earners, who pay 60 per cent of income tax receipts. Given the importance of asset price increases in both tax receipts and GDP growth, it is hard to imagine a world in which the Fed won’t keep cutting rates indefinitely. Live by the market, die by the market. 

It did not have to be this way, and this situation did not develop overnight. The US built an economy that is dangerously dependent on the whims of Wall Street little by little, since the 1970s onwards. It is the result of policy changes driven by both Democrats and Republicans.

Among them was the 1982 rule that allowed share buybacks in specific conditions, even though this had once been considered market manipulation; and the decision to provide favourable tax treatment to stock options, which allowed already fortunate people to profit from the rising valuations of companies they worked for. The most fundamental change was the shift from defined benefit pensions to defined contribution 401(k) plans, which has linked the future of so many Americans, in a Faustian way, to the fickle fortunes of the market.

All of it was supported by the myth that share prices are the ultimate indicator of what was happening inside a company, and ultimately, an economy.

I don’t think that’s really been true for a long time, something underscored by last week’s death of former General Electric chief executive Jack Welch. He came to represent the rise, and ultimately, the fall of shareholder focused capitalism. After the 2008 crisis it became clear that GE’s share price under Welch had been artificially bolstered by debt and leverage. 

Welch eventually rejected shareholder “value” as the “dumbest idea in the world”. I can only hope that this market downturn will force more people to come to the same conclusion. How much longer can we run an economy driven so disproportionately by financially engineered asset bubbles? The next few weeks and months may give us the answer. 

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

jaete posted:

The oil price thing causing all the stocks to fall massively is a bit surprising, since one would think that raw materials getting cheaper should actually help all the firms that are using said raw materials to, you know, produce goods and whatnot (and there are many more of those firms than the ones that make money by moving oil around).

Funds that have bet on oil prices going up are now facing massive losses from this enormous fall and are having to sell other shares to cover their obligations, helping to push the entire market into a downward spiral. Everything is connected :eng101:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Feeling good about having just pushed my workplace pension contribution to 10% just in time for the economy to die

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Markets creeping back up again, but I expect it will still close today at a loss of around 3.5%

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nothingtoseehere, your careless use of copy and paste is a flagrant violation of FT.com's T&Cs and Copyright Policy and I hope you feel the full force of the law.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Was listening to this in the car and he literally came out with "Islam isn't a race".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As genetic studies seem to be increasingly proving that race is a myth, but racism is real, we need a definition of race as a socially defined thing, for which the best one seems to be "people keep being uninformed racist dipshits towards an otherized group on the basis of the group rather than the individual, in a manner that implies joint ethnicity." Which certainly fits the racialization of Muslims (as well as anyone assumed to be a Muslim by combination of 'non-white' plus beard/headscarf) in modern Britain.

Otherwise you end up repeating the same absurdities as "but European Jews are white/Judaism isn't a race".

Alternatively: "Islam isn't a race, it's a slow inevitable progression towards Dar as-Salam."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Flipswitch posted:

Was listening to this in the car and he literally came out with "Islam isn't a race".

Plenty of the twitterati saying the same thing, but if anyone points out that Judaism isn't just a race either - I personally know a couple of converts to Judaism (one woman I know was born into the Catholic faith, converted to Judaism to marry a Jewish husband then Islam to marry a muslim husband (though it is not required) - they get pounced on.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Plenty of the twitterati saying the same thing, but if anyone points out that Judaism isn't just a race either - I personally know a couple of converts to Judaism (one woman I know was born into the Catholic faith, converted to Judaism to marry a Jewish husband then Islam to marry a muslim husband (though it is not required) - they get pounced on.
Yupp, it's a fun little mindfield and it never actually answers or denies the point that it's still bigotry,

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

jaete posted:

I'm reading through Crashed by Adam Tooze at the minute (read Adam Tooze, he's good) and one of the main early points he's making is that the 2008 financial crash put paid to the idea that "national economies" and trade deficits were the thing worth looking at - what actually matters is about 30 massive global banks that control worldwide monetary flows and it's these going down that screws the world economy (everyone thought pre-2008 the crash would be some kind of US-China meltdown due to the scale of the US trade deficit).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Flipswitch posted:

Any idea what time it was on?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Being Jewish is more than just a religion though, precisely because a bunch of pricks decided to make it so. When you write a bunch of rules that people who are 1/4 Jewish who don't consider themselves Jewish and are fully secular are actually secret Jews then you make it more than a religion. Same as when you make ridiculous 'one drop' rules about 'blackness' or end up in the kind of convoluted racist nonsense that declares that Japanese people are actually white but Chinese and Malay people are Asiatic.

And you can see the same kind of thing happening with Islam when Sikhs and Sri Lankans face abuse for being alleged Muslims, or when anyone less than a perfect shade of pink happens to wear a beard or a headscarf. Islam (or assumed Islamicness) became more than just a religion when other people decided to make it so.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

^ My mothers side is Somali and Somali's in the UK tend to get poo poo from some more xenophobic Pakistani groups for not being the "correct" type of Muslim.

Lungboy posted:

Any idea what time it was on?
Somewhere between 7 and 9 - Not really sure on specifics.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

As genetic studies seem to be increasingly proving that race is a myth, but racism is real, we need a definition of race as a socially defined thing, for which the best one seems to be "people keep being uninformed racist dipshits towards an otherized group on the basis of the group rather than the individual, in a manner that implies joint ethnicity." Which certainly fits the racialization of Muslims (as well as anyone assumed to be a Muslim by combination of 'non-white' plus beard/headscarf) in modern Britain.

Otherwise you end up repeating the same absurdities as "but European Jews are white/Judaism isn't a race".

Alternatively: "Islam isn't a race, it's a slow inevitable progression towards Dar as-Salam."
Or you could just say 'bigotry' or 'anti-Islamic prejudice' or 'Islamic intolerance'. Racism is a pithy word but it isn't great that its use implicitly reinforces the concept of race.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Flipswitch posted:

^ My mothers side is Somali and Somali's in the UK tend to get poo poo from some more xenophobic Pakistani groups for not being the "correct" type of Muslim.

Somewhere between 7 and 9 - Not really sure on specifics.

Thanks, I'll see if i can hunt it down. Not sure i can listen to that much Robinson otherwise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Or you could just say 'bigotry' or 'anti-Islamic prejudice' or 'Islamic intolerance'. Racism is a pithy word but it isn't great that its use implicitly reinforces the concept of race.
Or Islamophobia, but it underscores that "Islam isn't a race" is a non-argument when it comes to group racialization.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Funds that have bet on oil prices going up are now facing massive losses from this enormous fall and are having to sell other shares to cover their obligations, helping to push the entire market into a downward spiral. Everything is connected :eng101:

It's good OP, ROSNEFT have announced that they will start increasing oil production next month.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The pearl clutching over this Trevor Philips suspension is astonishing depths of hypocrisy and two-facedness, even for the loving Guardian. Jesus.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Or Islamophobia, but it underscores that "Islam isn't a race" is a non-argument when it comes to group racialization.
I'd be interested to see how people would respond to being described as Islamophobic vs intolerant. I bet a lot of people would take offence at being called *-phobic because it implies fear but would proudly affirm that they simply hate a given group.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/pinknews/status/1236291260354138112?s=21

Keir Starmer saying the good words.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

He is the only remaining leadership candidate who hasn’t signed the trans rights pledge, and he’s not doing that because he wants votes from the unfortunately sizeable Labour TERF contingent.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Pistol_Pete posted:

The pearl clutching over this Trevor Philips suspension is astonishing depths of hypocrisy and two-facedness, even for the loving Guardian. Jesus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

I'd be interested to see how people would respond to being described as Islamophobic vs intolerant. I bet a lot of people would take offence at being called *-phobic because it implies fear but would proudly affirm that they simply hate a given group.
Reminds me of the origin of 'anti-Semitism' "We are not Jew haters, hate and fear are irrational. We are anti-Semites for sound scientific reasons such as 'Jews bad'."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm addicted to virus news, help

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

https://twitter.com/raymondmallon/status/1236997359458029569?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

same, it's stressing me the gently caress out but I really don't know what to do and nobody in charge seems to be taking this as seriously as they ought to

https://mobile.twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/1235855966257569794

i'm not sure if I'm reading this wrong but it seems to be saying that they were bad to make some one not attend rugby practice, which is like the most minor sacrifice you can even think of?

e: also have they released the figures for infections today? I thought they were supposed to come out at 7am (which is why I'm browsing public health Twitter)