Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

IMO if Sandra ends up in the final tribal she’s going to win. She’s got about as good a chance as anyone else right now because she seems to have completely vanished into the background noise of the game.

Tony was right about them needing Tyson as a shield but he seems to have missed a key detail. Tony is Sandra’s shield and doesn’t seem to see that yet. Sandra’s greatest skill in Survivor is looking like a total non threat while being incredibly dangerous. Her social game is probably the best of anyone out there still and if she gets a shot at the end it’s going to be surreal to see her wiggle all the way to final tribal. She sets the board in such a way that there’s always a bigger target than her available. Someone else is always playing too hard or making themselves a threat. They have to go and Sandra can wait, until suddenly it’s too late and she’s secure in the game. The second one of her shields has been burned she’s already elevating someone else to be a new shield.

This week was a perfect example: Sandra makes big moves that don’t look like big moves. Tyson said her name and he had to go, but somehow it was never publicly her idea to make it happen. But it did. It always does. Her moves happen but she never makes waves. She learned her lesson the last time she played. She got more active and it didn’t work. She’s back to knifing people from the backbench and she’s so absurdly good at it. You’d think everyone would be wise to it by now but she still gets away with it.

It’s really impressive to watch it happen against all winners. Her and Rob are still doing their same old thing and it’s working pretty well. We can only hope they stay on different tribes until the merge because both of them being around post merge is going to rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone is just fooled by Sandra sounding like Jason from the Good Place

"One time, me and Donkey Doug went on this game show..."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think with a cast like this "tribe strength" just isn't that important since they're all thinking about how to win. Plus like, I used to be a big "tribe strength" guy but now that a tribe swap is pretty much guaranteed every season and we've shown loyalty break down after that I think its more important to play the social game, preserve your allies, eliminate your enemies, and get as little blood on your hands as you can.

But I still have a hard time imagining Rob, Sandra, and Parv not being targeted immediately upon the merge if they get there. That's where a player like Jeremy, Yul, Sarah, or Tony might really benefit because they could be big targets but like with iconic players ahead of them they shouldn't be.

But then that's the rub that might save the iconic players. drat near everyone is a threat with this crew. There's very few people you could actually take your eyes off so its gonna be hard to rank threats even if like your instinct is "Rob, Parv, and Sandra are the GOATs."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pretty amazing Sandra can sit out each challenge, won twice, and still isn’t on the chopping block from day one.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Everybody seems to have caught on to the meatshield strategy, but they might be overlooking that there's only so many rounds of play. If you keep too much meat around, there might not be the chance to eliminate all of it, and if the meat makes it to the end, the meat wins over those who are hiding behind it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the problem is basically that everyone is a meat shield for someone and the players who aren't have mostly been smart enough to say "we should work together to get some of them out before they get their poo poo together and pick us off." But there's so many targets to choose from you're always gonna leave a bunch to come back on you.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Sandra’s trick of always making someone else look like a bigger threat is working so far but yeah despite all I posted earlier, it has to hit a brick wall eventually. I guess we will see if she continues to evolve her game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

I'm with you STAC, if it was a throw, whoever decided to throw it as a move would've been mugging about it to the camera or someone.

Interesting this season hasn't had anyone mentioned for challenge purposes, like sometimes there's a notion of "keeping the strong" or whatever but this time that stuff takes a major back seat.

We know throws happen all the time that CBS doesn't show us.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sandra is one of the ones that in theory is a big threat, but unless you're a bunch of morons is always an option to get out later in the game.

But then again, it's an interesting dynamic with a season of all winners because they are all obviously threats to win the game. So it's like, at what point do you take 1 person out vs everyone else?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sandra is one of the ones that in theory is a big threat, but unless you're a bunch of morons is always an option to get out later in the game.

I'm going to pretend she's volunteered to sit out so many challenges so far to hide the fact that she's secretly somehow become a challenge beast in the offseason. And people will just plan to get her out at 8-9 and she'll just go challenge-challenge-idol-idol-challenge-fire to FTC

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Do we know that?

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Number19 posted:

Tony was right about them needing Tyson as a shield but he seems to have missed a key detail. Tony is Sandra’s shield and doesn’t seem to see that yet. Sandra’s greatest skill in Survivor is looking like a total non threat while being incredibly dangerous. Her social game is probably the best of anyone out there still and if she gets a shot at the end it’s going to be surreal to see her wiggle all the way to final tribal. She sets the board in such a way that there’s always a bigger target than her available. Someone else is always playing too hard or making themselves a threat. They have to go and Sandra can wait, until suddenly it’s too late and she’s secure in the game. The second one of her shields has been burned she’s already elevating someone else to be a new shield.

Looks like Tony made his pitch, knew it wasn't going to work, then abandoned it to not draw unwanted attention to his current under the radar strategy. I think he's playing about as well as he can given his reputation. He looks like he's just out there fuckin around and having fun.

To me it looks like Sandra is setting up Yul to be her meat shield.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Parv throwing Shade at Sandra tells me that Rob wants her out, with good reason since she hadn’t planned for him during their month together last season

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zesty posted:

Well do tell!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kinda thinking the first post-merge tribal will be a blindside of either Rob or Sandra, with everyone saying they're voting for the other one of the two

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Stokes posted:

I'm waiting for some bitter betty to get to the fire token thing and say 'no.' What are they gonna do make them leave the game? it's not like they'll be getting any votes as a goat in the final 3 anyway.

yeah and maybe they also shouldn't vote for a winner at the end either!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stokes posted:

I'm waiting for some bitter betty to get to the fire token thing and say 'no.' What are they gonna do make them leave the game? it's not like they'll be getting any votes as a goat in the final 3 anyway.

that probably voids their contract and their payout so...yes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean its part of the game. If you just refuse to play the game because you're throw a tantrum then like... you get shaded by Jeff and blackballed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Oh no who could survive the wrath of Jeff Probst!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if they're allowed to randomly choose who to leave them to

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

Do we know that?

Yeah. Sandra’s tribe in Game Changers
threw to get rid of her.

Monica’s tribe threw that challenge to get rid of her in Second Chances.

Those were two recent ones because I was following all the podcasts and interviews back then, but even light googling can find this info.

Production doesn’t want challenge throwing and edit poo poo all the time if it doesn’t fit the narrative they want to tell. So much of what you see is edited to hell and a mischaracterization if what’s actually happening.

The few times you see actual challenge throwing is because it’s hilarious. Like Cliff in Cagayan trying to throw a basketball challenge and he can’t help himself from succeeding because the Brains tribe were so bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing is that players are also unreliable narrators sometimes so like, if 3 people say "we threw that" then yeah, they threw it. But if Wardog is like "no, I actually meant to do that" then he might just be full of poo poo.

But like in this case no one's even saying anything. Its just "they couldn't have been THAT bad at the puzzle, could they?"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

precision posted:

I wonder if they're allowed to randomly choose who to leave them to

I half expected Tyson to start walking away, toss the token back over his shoulder, and let it fall where it may.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

The thing is that players are also unreliable narrators sometimes so like, if 3 people say "we threw that" then yeah, they threw it. But if Wardog is like "no, I actually meant to do that" then he might just be full of poo poo.

But like in this case no one's even saying anything. Its just "they couldn't have been THAT bad at the puzzle, could they?"

No doubt. The point is production edits poo poo out they don’t like all the time and there’s enough people saying that they threw a challenge when it wasn’t shown that actually fits into all the narrative we see and explains confusing editing that it’s pretty evident challenge throws happen more frequently than we’re shown.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, like I said I'm not saying it never happens. And more its probably true that there's a lot of instances of 1 or 2 players "throwing" but not like a whole tribe wide conspiracy. I think that's what the Dom thing sounded like. I just think sometimes (not here or with you) it gets all fuzzy with "the edit does lie so ergo it lied here."

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I mean its part of the game. If you just refuse to play the game because you're throw a tantrum then like... you get shaded by Jeff and blackballed.

I mean they've already made their money and probably an appearance fee. If a contestant of this caliber is so upset about it, it would be a way to make a point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what point you'd be making though. Like being a petulant child about being voted out generally doesn't go over well with the Survivor community/fanbase. Maybe someone's just over it all and ready to walk away entirely but like, it would take a lot of "i don't give a gently caress" probably.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Someone should swallow their tokens, then do a sick kick flip out of there while flipping Jeff the bird
*Powerman 5000 plays*

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stokes posted:

I mean they've already made their money and probably an appearance fee. If a contestant of this caliber is so upset about it, it would be a way to make a point.

IcePhoenix posted:

that probably voids their contract and their payout so...yes

payout would include appearance fee in case it wasn't obvious

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really just feel like if you did that a producer would walk up to you and be like "if you do this we're not paying you, you're off the rest of the season, we're gonna bury you in the edit, we're gonna tell everyone you were a petulant child, and we're gonna do what we can to end your time with the Survivor community. So who do you want to give the token to?"

Like as much as a guy like Tyson tries really hard to look like he doesn't give a poo poo he clearly loves the game and gets a lot out of being part of the podcast and Survivor world.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Zesty posted:

Monica’s tribe threw that challenge to get rid of her in Second Chances.

Edit: Nevermind I'm thinking of the wrong Monica.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
From a page back:

STAC Goat posted:

They seemed to have most of the puzzle up and then took it down, but like I don't think it was clear if they had the puzzle right or if it was a case where they hosed up the beginning and had to start over completely.

People melt down. I almost never believe in "throws."

They had the wrong shade lined up.

They also had a slight unfair disadvantage because the two color shades they chose of orangish yellow had closer values than the purple and blue on the other team. That means it was an easier puzzle for the team that could see the color differences easier.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just to add to the challenge throwing discussion; Domenick threw the challenge to get rid of Bradley in the pre merge of Ghost Island.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Richard Hatch made a video about some behind the scenes stuff and about how the game effects the contestants life after the game, and it's really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMGCaQKCfOs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always liked Richard and that's a really good video. Definitely hope he does a follow up that shares bits of the 50 page contract

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Oh no who could survive the wrath of Jeff Probst!
When's the last anyone's heard from jonny fairplay? Scuttlebutt is Jeff invited him to a season's casting but was actually just luring him to a meat locker.

I've not liked Richard because of his dick rubbing Sue thing, I think I'd need to want to hear him own up to that poo poo before I'd listen to his podcast or whatever. It's frustrating because otherwise as a character and player I did like him. Maybe it's just me?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Sue was begging to get back into the game the day after she quit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
and?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

When's the last anyone's heard from jonny fairplay? Scuttlebutt is Jeff invited him to a season's casting but was actually just luring him to a meat locker.

I've not liked Richard because of his dick rubbing Sue thing, I think I'd need to want to hear him own up to that poo poo before I'd listen to his podcast or whatever. It's frustrating because otherwise as a character and player I did like him. Maybe it's just me?

Nah. I’ve written him off too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I saw one of his videos where he blamed Probst and Burnett et al not wanting anything to do with him for them not getting in touch with Rudy in the last days of his life.