Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
What was Aldoulin like at launch? The whole Colonization thing sounds interesting on paper, but it's one of the few systems that isn't alive or dead, just... gone.

I really, really do not regret not playing this game in over ten years, but if I had, I would have liked to drop in at the end of Abyssea and see what that was like before being around for Aldoulin launch, I think.

Though honestly it seems like most of what makes current FFXI at all tolerable was added in the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
for fresh 99s: don’t forget the command /checkparam <me> to see your true accuracy. Apex mobs demand minimum 1100 acc, and it can go up to 1400~ for omen bosses / some escha NMs

most sparks geared fresh 117s are prob around 900 accuracy so it takes some investment. granted most acc you see will be the result of skill buffs on 119 weapons, and gear that gives more than 5-10 acc at a time

good sushi gives 100acc and then bard buffs give more obviously so it’s not like you are required to hit 1375 acc on your own, unless you really wanna i guess

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What’s everyone’s in game name on asura? Curious what other goons are playing, seems like there might be a good number around right now

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

As a career COR, COR has a low barrier to entry but a nearly infinitely high ceiling. It's my only job and I'm still missing a lot of gear (mainly the Lilith stuff).

e: I'm Suteru in game, but haven't been in the shell much since it was just Jamie's bots for a while.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 4, 2020

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Frog Act posted:

What’s everyone’s in game name on asura? Curious what other goons are playing, seems like there might be a good number around right now

I'm not playing atm but probably will in the near future but I'm Vellamorn in game and i'd be happy to help you with weird annoying things like getting past certain barriers that need KIs, once I'm playing again. Also our discord is a good place to ask questions too, should be a link in OP.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Francis posted:

What was Aldoulin like at launch? The whole Colonization thing sounds interesting on paper, but it's one of the few systems that isn't alive or dead, just... gone.

I really, really do not regret not playing this game in over ten years, but if I had, I would have liked to drop in at the end of Abyssea and see what that was like before being around for Aldoulin launch, I think.

Though honestly it seems like most of what makes current FFXI at all tolerable was added in the last few years.

Adoulin launch was 50 characters throwing themselves against colonization reives since the Colonization Rate inversely determines how much damage reives take... and it started at 1%, and ilvl gear wasn't out yet. Wildskeeper reives were equally hilarious, except the body count was closer to 100. No Trusts, no sparks- those would be introduced about nine months later.

Ceizak/Foret/Morimar fractures/Delve were the first ilvl content, which was a hilarious jump from 99 to i113 and then i119 equipment. Tojil was the most farmed Delve for a while, as SCHs could stunlock their more vicious TP moves and Monks were briefly FOTM because of Formless Strikes/Hundred Fists being able to cheese two of the NMs, Tojil included (also because they had A+ weapon skill but at least various other jobs had that. Distract/Frazzle also didn't exist yet).

The first Skirmish was released not too long after Delve and I remember being confused on why I would spend time on a gacha system for i106 gear when I could just tough it out in Delve and get far better rewards.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kazy posted:

As a career COR, COR has a low barrier to entry but a nearly infinitely high ceiling. It's my only job and I'm still missing a lot of gear (mainly the Lilith stuff).

e: I'm Suteru in game, but haven't been in the shell much since it was just Jamie's bots for a while.

cool! i think I'm gonna go unlock COR soon then. i just don't have the time to invest in what sounds like a major process getting the relic pieces necessary for BRD to maintain four songs, but I do want to participate in some of the less time-sucky endgame stuff in the distant future, so COR sounds like a good compromise. plus i love the guns. either way the leveling seems so fast once you've got some kis and a job at cap it should be trivial to level them both anyway

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm not playing atm but probably will in the near future but I'm Vellamorn in game and i'd be happy to help you with weird annoying things like getting past certain barriers that need KIs, once I'm playing again. Also our discord is a good place to ask questions too, should be a link in OP.

dope! I'm not even in the Goon shell, I don't think, just a big one called BombToss and another slightly more casual one other goons that used to post in this thread are also in, but if more posters start playing I'd definitely take a pearl. I'll check the OP and hop in the discord, I don't voice chat much since I strongly prefer text but disc works for that too

It seems like a major thing is doing the ROVs for the kis that give you significant passive bonuses. the first one gave me a permanent +30% exp bonus and I've heard having a job at cap yields a similar one, so I guess my first goal right now is to hit 99 with RDM to secure the extra bonus and make missions/subsequent ROVs up to a certain point easy. got to level 40 last night, saw garlaige citadel and the crawlers nest for the first time, was fun as heck. i'm close to refresh and I heard the first artifact weapon quest starts at 40, and as i understand it, RDM is a good soloer with trusts for NMs, missions, etc, so hopefully it will be helpful to have around.

unlocked NIN but it seems kinda wack. like, by level 15, you have no damage dealing abilities, some random useless stuff, and only the one that seems any good is ichi but nobody tanks anymore so it doesn't have a major purpose for leveling. then looking at the other stuff like tonko: ichi and all the other ninjutsu I bought I'm not really seeing how it will be majorly useful, though I only bought it up to level 30 or so from the tenshodo HQ. Do they mostly rely on weapon skills as a fast hitting DPS thing these days? NIN seems like it's worth leveling to at least 54 as a relevant subjob for RDM, COR, and a bunch of other jobs.

at least i can afford spells. i'm one level away from refresh and it's gonna be so satisfying buying and using that when I quit Nasomi because it was 400k and farming up 100k took a full week.

also, Necrosaro, I will join the goon discord as DongQuixote and if you happen to be on any time in the next couple weeks and you see me on (Dongquixote on Asura) I'd be really pumped to get my hands on the echad ring. my understanding is i have to get it from the person who gave me the worldpass, or at least be grouped with them at the time, so let me know whenever and I will hop on

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Last I played I was running stuff with Facedesk which I found on Reddit. They're one of the few LS' on asura that actually wants clueless newbies for content so they can teach people and expand the community. I had some good experiences with them.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
keep having dreams about this god forsaken game. it’s calling me back.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/threads/56549-Announcing-the-March-Version-Update

yo, new content.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I'm an attractive guy in a large metro who also happened to play FF11 for too long. I got plenty of swipes and sex the normal way but after a while I got bored and started playing games and needed a more playful way to approach it. So I deleted my Tinder account and when the servers came back up the NM (re)spawned for the first time.

We all know how NMs work in FF11. There are a very wide range of spawn conditions and some pop for 1h every 2h then depop, some pop bi-annually. I had to figure out how to strike a balance so I was challenging to catch, not to confusing, a rare find to stumble across, and not be so elusive that I never got laid. Hmm...

I played with a bunch of spawn conditions for me Tinder card to be online. Next full moon. Next time it rains in my zip code. Wednesdays from 7 to 7:15. After drinking (killing) 40 protein shakes. From 2 to 3 while I lift weights. Every time my Tinder card was online I put the information with my next spawn condition and directly told girls to tell other girls to see if they could catch me.

I didn't let many more than before catch me because I can afford to be picky, but watching those swipes come at me in real time when I "spawned" always gave me some of the largest smiles in years.

They were all waiting for the NM to pop, and they were ready to Provoke it when it did.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Carmant posted:

I'm an attractive guy in a large metro who also happened to play FF11 for too long. I got plenty of swipes and sex the normal way but after a while I got bored and started playing games and needed a more playful way to approach it. So I deleted my Tinder account and when the servers came back up the NM (re)spawned for the first time.

We all know how NMs work in FF11. There are a very wide range of spawn conditions and some pop for 1h every 2h then depop, some pop bi-annually. I had to figure out how to strike a balance so I was challenging to catch, not to confusing, a rare find to stumble across, and not be so elusive that I never got laid. Hmm...

I played with a bunch of spawn conditions for me Tinder card to be online. Next full moon. Next time it rains in my zip code. Wednesdays from 7 to 7:15. After drinking (killing) 40 protein shakes. From 2 to 3 while I lift weights. Every time my Tinder card was online I put the information with my next spawn condition and directly told girls to tell other girls to see if they could catch me.

I didn't let many more than before catch me because I can afford to be picky, but watching those swipes come at me in real time when I "spawned" always gave me some of the largest smiles in years.

They were all waiting for the NM to pop, and they were ready to Provoke it when it did.

:same:

also the loving fetich quest. my god. i spent like an hour killing quadavs the other day and only got the head. i'm hoping to log in later from work and run around a bit with trusts on my level 12 WHM or maybe NIN to get some levels while i do it, but holy poo poo, palborough is really extensive and full of neat stuff, but mostly i can't believe they haven't patched this drat quest in 20 years

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Check the AH, I think you can buy those things if someone has listed them. Also, make sure you are fighting the mid-level Quadavs because the ones on the first floor/area don't drop the stuff you need. I think I farmed the ones around the BCNM entrance and got them relatively quickly.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
godspeed if you're on asura cause its botted to poo poo near the BCNM

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

WarMECH posted:

Check the AH, I think you can buy those things if someone has listed them. Also, make sure you are fighting the mid-level Quadavs because the ones on the first floor/area don't drop the stuff you need. I think I farmed the ones around the BCNM entrance and got them relatively quickly.

yeah I got all but the chest off the AH but, as noted, there are shitloads of 99s running around and presumably botting because i kept seeing people discard fetich pieces in the info pane but none of them responded to my tells or shouts

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I don't have Abyssea or Aldoulin and I've done all the old mission content and RoV as far as I can. What else can/should I poke at before the free login campaign ends?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Francis posted:

I don't have Abyssea or Aldoulin and I've done all the old mission content and RoV as far as I can. What else can/should I poke at before the free login campaign ends?

Did you do the mini expansions? Swap nations and do those rank quests?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Frog Act posted:

yeah I got all but the chest off the AH but, as noted, there are shitloads of 99s running around and presumably botting because i kept seeing people discard fetich pieces in the info pane but none of them responded to my tells or shouts

I started a new account the other day (DegenerateTriangle on discord, Thicket in game), and I just finished this quest myself. I was wondering why there were so many 99s one shotting all the qadavs in palborough. I still don't really understand it, what is valuable to farm off of them?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Edly posted:

I started a new account the other day (DegenerateTriangle on discord, Thicket in game), and I just finished this quest myself. I was wondering why there were so many 99s one shotting all the qadavs in palborough. I still don't really understand it, what is valuable to farm off of them?

They added these special shields for crafters that require a shitload of time, effort, and items to obtain and fetich pieces are one of the potential ingredients for a late stage synth for it. I only know from what I've skimmed on the bg wiki page for the shields but you probably need thousands of the things.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Haven’t had much time to play this weekend but the little time I did have has been doing mission 3-3, I think trying to do it sans mount was a big part of why I quit nasomi. I’m really beginning to appreciate the get around mechanisms in retail

Also, what are a good set of trusts? I’ve been using Valinewhatever, Tenzen, the trust taru WHM, and just a random DD

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Shantotto II is pretty much the best leveling or 'i'm doing easy content' trust, but only available through specific log-in campaigns. She shows up like twice a year. She will MB everything she can.

The basic version of Ayame is incredibly handy as she will open skillchains for you as long as you've 1. used any WS while she has been active to 'set' her AI up and 2. have 1k+ TP. She falls off at 99+ content.

Zeid II is amazing for GROUND STRIKE though i think he gets that in the 60s?

Yoran-Oran and Apururu are really good unity healers, though all of the healers kind of suck early on because of MP issues. I think Yoran-Oran gets his MP refill stuff in the 60s? I forget. Once he has it he's basically infinite MP. Until then you can just release and resummon your healer when their MP is empty.

Koru-Moru, Qultada, King of Hearts for buffers. Koru kinda meh at low levels. Joachim is fine too though I think he has worse AI than Ulmia who is harder to get.

Amchuchu is prob my fave tank but Trion is pretty fine early on.

There's other hilariously strong trusts that you won't see for a while so I'm skipping over them.

I recall Semih being useful but I forget why right now.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks dude. There seem to be a lot of things that only show up during festivals and login campaigns, hopefully I haven’t missed my chance, but I guess they’ve said they’re not gonna stop producing content / server events until at least 2022 right?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
never again will i lose sight of who i am

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Thanks dude. There seem to be a lot of things that only show up during festivals and login campaigns, hopefully I haven’t missed my chance, but I guess they’ve said they’re not gonna stop producing content / server events until at least 2022 right?

stuff comes back consistently. only trusts that are gone forever (that i am aware of) were removed for everyone. idk when shan2 showed up last, but the new login campaign hits soon and the spring trust extravaganza should be around soon

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Speaking as a fellow low level with a very limited trust pool, Semih is awesome because she just puts out a ton of damage with her weapon skills.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah Semih will start using Sidewinder in like the 30s and maybe even earlier, which will shred whatever you're killing at that level.

At later levels, probably around the 50 mark, she'll get access to a unique WS that is AoE, so you might want to be careful where you use her from that point on unless you're prepared to deal with a bunch of adds.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Tsurupettan posted:

The basic version of Ayame is incredibly handy as she will open skillchains for you as long as you've 1. used any WS while she has been active to 'set' her AI up and 2. have 1k+ TP. She falls off at 99+ content.

Also super handy for unlocking latents for weaponskill quests solo.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Seekers...done

Today was Celestial Nexus and Apocalypse Nigh

Now to get Siren, knock out WotG and start chipping down Assaults...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

i resubbed to this garbage rear end game as i said i was going to. also i'm super stupid and if i had noticed the bonus exp/cap event i would've prob come back sooner, gently caress!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh god, this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zaTEb5ebJ4 is the push to get me to pay FFXI again.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

I've settled into things pretty well overall but I still don't understand Abyssea/Voidwatch at all. All the stones and atma and abyssite and assorted jargon just makes my eyes glaze over. It feels like Escha with five extra layers of complexity but I still can't really wrap my head around it. The wiki is informative but difficult (for me at least) to follow. Are there any good visual guides out there?

Also, is Abyssea basically deprecated content? A lot of RoEs say 'non-Abyssea areas' and the XP I was getting at-level in one was garbage.

I get that Abyssea was unpopular, but was it that bad beyond just nuking the economy and replacing HNM items people fought for over seven years with the equivalent of welfare greens?

I can't imagine anything being worse than the first year of WotG. At least people engaged with Abyssea. People basically looked at WotG and went back to Whitegate to do Nyzul/Einherjar.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a good post in the thread that explains how to login with the playonline launcher?

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I said come in! posted:

Is there a good post in the thread that explains how to login with the playonline launcher?

Lol that poo poo is the devil

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Injuryprone posted:

Lol that poo poo is the devil

I actually managed to figure it out just now, but every single time I want to come back, I need help with it.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Francis posted:

I've settled into things pretty well overall but I still don't understand Abyssea/Voidwatch at all. All the stones and atma and abyssite and assorted jargon just makes my eyes glaze over. It feels like Escha with five extra layers of complexity but I still can't really wrap my head around it. The wiki is informative but difficult (for me at least) to follow. Are there any good visual guides out there?

Also, is Abyssea basically deprecated content? A lot of RoEs say 'non-Abyssea areas' and the XP I was getting at-level in one was garbage.

I get that Abyssea was unpopular, but was it that bad beyond just nuking the economy and replacing HNM items people fought for over seven years with the equivalent of welfare greens?

I can't imagine anything being worse than the first year of WotG. At least people engaged with Abyssea. People basically looked at WotG and went back to Whitegate to do Nyzul/Einherjar.

Abyssea was unpopular? I loved it, and it was extremely active when it was current content. Abyssea was also THE way to level before Adoulin and Trusts came out. It's just totally irrelevant now unless you want to make an Empyrean Weapon.

Edit: I guess to kind of answer your question it would be "don't worry about it" unless you want to do the aforementioned Emp grind in which case I'd have to ask why. Abyssea is not as complex as it seems but like everything in FFXI there are a lot of layers to it. It's useless for EXP now and there is no item level gear except for reforged Empyrean armor (which I think you can just reforge the NQ and not have to go through the Abyssea upgrade process anyway).

Kongming fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 9, 2020

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i resubbed yesterday. pray for me.

i’m ziasquinn in game. send me a tell sometime cause i’d always be down to bullshit with randos. or if you’re new and need help with anything

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Delighted to see all these new goons. Please send me gil and equipment post haste

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
+7 year ago me would be angry I resubbed. He also made about 25k less a year and was in substantial debt. He also had a new born that commanded all attention.

Present me says gently caress past me. Ima do me

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Kongming posted:

Abyssea was unpopular? I loved it, and it was extremely active when it was current content. Abyssea was also THE way to level before Adoulin and Trusts came out. It's just totally irrelevant now unless you want to make an Empyrean Weapon.

Edit: I guess to kind of answer your question it would be "don't worry about it" unless you want to do the aforementioned Emp grind in which case I'd have to ask why. Abyssea is not as complex as it seems but like everything in FFXI there are a lot of layers to it. It's useless for EXP now and there is no item level gear except for reforged Empyrean armor (which I think you can just reforge the NQ and not have to go through the Abyssea upgrade process anyway).

My understanding was that when it was all over the game was left in a much shallower state with really unbalanced jobs and a nonfunctional economy relative to the 75 era it replaced. Even Square-Enix said that it was a mistake, supposedly?

Anyway, the reason I was asking was because there are some accessories from there that are still good, and I either can't figure out how to get most ilvl-era gear solo or need a group for it, so I thought I'd start more toward the bottom and work up.

I looked at the upcoming March campaign and wow, that's pretty dull. Are the campaign bonuses more like February or March in terms of how much gets boosted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hagie posted:

+7 year ago me would be angry I resubbed. He also made about 25k less a year and was in substantial debt. He also had a new born that commanded all attention.

Present me says gently caress past me. Ima do me

New born is now old enough to do all of the work for you. :P