Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
galaxy o'brain does it again

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1236966650353725441?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Virus threads posted this little nugget and now I'm seriously considering not coming into work again after today

(Read the whole thread. Sorry, it's not been unrolled by the thread app yet)

https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/status/1236680330456809472

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Shiny shiny new episode for you all to enjoy. We're taking a special look at the concept of meritocracy, through the lens and career of a Very Special author, free school advocate, and massive oval office:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1236929471296438272?s=20

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

XMNN posted:

same, it's stressing me the gently caress out but I really don't know what to do and nobody in charge seems to be taking this as seriously as they ought to

https://mobile.twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/1235855966257569794

i'm not sure if I'm reading this wrong but it seems to be saying that they were bad to make some one not attend rugby practice, which is like the most minor sacrifice you can even think of?

e: also have they released the figures for infections today? I thought they were supposed to come out at 7am (which is why I'm browsing public health Twitter)

Infection figures are 2pm.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Junior G-man posted:

Shiny shiny new episode for you all to enjoy. We're taking a special look at the concept of meritocracy, through the lens and career of a Very Special author, free school advocate, and massive oval office:

Oh cool, the Toby Young episode!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Virus threads posted this little nugget and now I'm seriously considering not coming into work again after today

(Read the whole thread. Sorry, it's not been unrolled by the thread app yet)

https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/status/1236680330456809472

The unroll has come in - thanks for this.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236680328875474944.html

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pistol_Pete posted:

The pearl clutching over this Trevor Philips suspension is astonishing depths of hypocrisy and two-facedness, even for the loving Guardian. Jesus.

isnt he the crazy guy from GTA5

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Junior G-man posted:

Next week we ask: Karl Marx is buried in Highgate cemetery - is this a communist plot?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

Yes, actually :v:

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

kecske posted:

Thought I recognised the name.

Islamaphobia is the least of it tbh.
https://youtu.be/E69LCH9UNqw

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Friend says US markets have stopped trading due to collapse.
My internet's being slow so can't see!
Seems they're down 7%. FTSE 100 down nearly 8%.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1236778356105981953

One of the theories is gently caress you

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
people in the office have just had a conversation about how they reckon it's all blown out of proportion and "hopefully when summer comes it will all just disappear"

the person who made that comment also said last week "you know what I was thinking, what if the makeup person for my wedding gets it? I've got no back up plan!"

this is stressing me the gently caress out so badly and these people are just blithely continuing on and I don't know which of us is the loving idiot moron here

e: strongly considering not coming back to work tomorrow

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Aw, man, I told you guys to get in touch with me when you did your Toby Young episode...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

people in the office have just had a conversation about how they reckon it's all blown out of proportion and "hopefully when summer comes it will all just disappear"

the person who made that comment also said last week "you know what I was thinking, what if the makeup person for my wedding gets it? I've got no back up plan!"

this is stressing me the gently caress out so badly and these people are just blithely continuing on and I don't know which of us is the loving idiot moron here

e: strongly considering not coming back to work tomorrow

What are you stressing about? There's very little chance you won't get it. All you can do is minimize the chances but to what end? You might just delay displaying symptoms till the exact point where the hospitals are overloaded. So trying to manage it seems pointless as well.

They're still wrong, it's pretty bad. But the fact its 1. inevitable and 2. Doesn't have a fatality rate at like 30% or something means i'm not stressed.

I might be stressed once im drowing in lung fluid but thats then.

What is really scary is this is like a trial run for humanities capacity to handle an outbreak. And we failed badly. This could have been worse. What if the fatality rate was much higher? We've seen what this can do to our economy. In places Milan the normal way of life has temporarily ended. If the severity of this disease was even slightly higher the west might just up and collapse.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 9, 2020

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Brb welding spikes and skulls to my Zafira.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my cat is doing a pretty good impression of the government response rn

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Any idea what time it was on?

It was ~7:30 - 7:40 kinda time. I kinda like the Today programme style of letting go off and making up your own mind because it does generate gems like this 'I'm not a racist because Islam isn't a race'

It's right up there with the US when they got accused of violating the Geneva convention and their only response was that they did not consider the people in Gitmo to be prisoners of war.

He's answered the question, but only in a way which causes even more problems.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Comrade Fakename posted:

Aw, man, I told you guys to get in touch with me when you did your Toby Young episode...

I've been instructed to inform you that this is not the Toby Young episode (also we recorded it ages ago but have just now put it out)

forkboy84 posted:

Oh cool, the Toby Young episode!

Again, for various reasons we can neither confirm nor deny that this is a Toby Young episode. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i want to know who combined my homer av with a toby young picture and bought me it as an av

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

I've been instructed to inform you that this is not the Toby Young episode (also we recorded it ages ago but have just now put it out)

Again, for various reasons we can neither confirm nor deny that this is a Toby Young episode. :v:
Actually, it's the Toby Postpubescent episode. :pedo:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah but you said that after we recorded this didn't you? It's been held in reserve for a month or so.

Edit: apologies if this wasn't you btw, I think we had more than one person ask to be on the Toby Young episode immediately after we'd done it :v:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just remembered that a couple of weeks ago, people in the GBS coronavirus thread were fretting about the markets and whether they should move all their investments into cash and I was telling them to chill out and leave their portfolios alone :xd:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just remembered that a couple of weeks ago, people in the GBS coronavirus thread were fretting about the markets and whether they should move all their investments into cash and I was telling them to chill out and leave their portfolios alone :xd:

Good advice comrade

We should also be organising a run on the banks.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah but you said that after we recorded this didn't you? It's been held in reserve for a month or so.

Edit: apologies if this wasn't you btw, I think we had more than one person ask to be on the Toby Young episode immediately after we'd done it :v:

I said it last year back when you first threatened to do a Toby Young episode on the podcast.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I know we joke about dta but

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237027356314869761

It's finally happening, a is going t d

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Comrade Fakename posted:

I said it last year back when you first threatened to do a Toby Young episode on the podcast.

In that case we completely forgot because we are a professional and put together enterprise. Apologies! You should still come on! If you have any idea for an ep you'd be interested in doing let us know and we can probably swing it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I know we joke about dta but

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237027356314869761

It's finally happening, a is going t d

I think what's interesting in those numbers is that in the UK 600 people a year die of flu. So by my shaky maths that means the rate of death in the US from flu is 12 times higher than in the UK? Those are not good numbers USA.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Aramoro posted:

I think what's interesting in those numbers is that in the UK 600 people a year die of flu. So by my shaky maths that means the rate of death in the US from flu is 12 times higher than in the UK? Those are not good numbers USA.

Really? Looks like ~1000 people die on avg per flu-season in Norway, so 600 for Britain would be loving amazingly low

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does the stock market nose diving make this a great or terrible time to get a mortgage?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Actually, it's the Toby Postpubescent episode. :pedo:

For the first time it may, in fact, not be a Fubpee-philia.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

wait what when did peter tatchell become an rear end in a top hat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

wait what when did peter tatchell become an rear end in a top hat.

I met Tatchell back in the 90s and the question should be "did he ever stop being an rear end in a top hat?"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
As I'm travelling by bus, coach and tube and staying in a London Travelodge for a few days, wanted some anti-bacterial / disinfectant surface wipes. None in the 'usual' places, found big tubs available in the computer care section in Smiths. Might be helpful info if you or a family/friend is immuno-compromised.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 9, 2020

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Aramoro posted:

According to this (https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-06/how-does-the-wuhan-coronavirus-compare-to-seasonal-flu/) The average for the UK is 17000, but with a lot of variation, so we may be a bit worse than the US.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

Really? Looks like ~1000 people die on avg per flu-season in Norway, so 600 for Britain would be loving amazingly low

It seems to vary incredibly wildly, I assume based on the flu that's around that season and how you count deaths from flu. Last year was 1,600 but the year before it was 24,000 but that's the numbers that count if having flu contributed to your death even if it's from something else.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm on Covid-19 self isolation. Patient I saw 13 days ago has tested positive in a Spanish hospital. Thankfully I'm only isolating until tomorrow as it stands plus I'm symptom free but I saw a friend with terminal metastatic breast cancer yesterday so if I was positive I've put her at risk.

I can see why people hate this, I'm board already and I'm not even allowed to cuddle the cat. Need to do it, though.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does the stock market nose diving make this a great or terrible time to get a mortgage?

Depends wildly on how the banks react, if the reaction is to lower interest rates further then you'll get a cheaper mortgage deals but lenders might want even bigger deposits because of a volatile market, if the market reacts by increasing rates then obviously you're going to have more expensive offers available to you.

So basically there is never a good time to mortgage except maybe in the 1970/80's because banks are a loving scam and their main purpose is to get as much money out of you as possible while still being able to maintain payments.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EdBlackadder posted:

So I'm on Covid-19 self isolation. Patient I saw 13 days ago has tested positive in a Spanish hospital. Thankfully I'm only isolating until tomorrow as it stands plus I'm symptom free but I saw a friend with terminal metastatic breast cancer yesterday so if I was positive I've put her at risk.

I can see why people hate this, I'm board already and I'm not even allowed to cuddle the cat. Need to do it, though.

because of transmission to others through cat or is there a risk to pets too?

what's the deal with doctors anyway, are you meant to self-isolate if you saw a patient and you weren't taking precautions? And is it basically up to the 2-week point after you saw the person, so you'd either have it by now or not? Just wondering because if things start to spike I'm wondering how they're gonna keep people safe

Hope you're ok though! Watch some cat videos at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

what's the deal with doctors anyway
My internal monologue changed reading this. :jerry: