Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I actually haven't had a single animal that wasn't a dog or cat bond with anyone for my last few colonies. I thought they might have taken out the bonding mechanic for anything that doesn't nuzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Wolves definitely do, not sure about bears, I'll make an effort to tame some bears.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Bears are very difficult to kill, especially if you're modding and can chrome them up.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you keep stealing all the royal jelly from infestation sites, do the insects eventually begin to starve?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They get hungry, yes, and start hunting (at least the big ones do).

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Had a raptor shrimp from AA drop from orbit in that vanilla events expanded event.

Fucker proceeded to immediately heal up and go "Hrmm this place looks nice, guess Ill stay".

It was kinda terrifying.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Had no idea you could send a rescue caravan out. Would've prevented some unfortunate cannibalism.

On this new playthrough I turned off blight. Even with the "auto cut blight" mod I was sick of how it would burn through all of my crops in an instant.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Bears and Thrumbo also get bonded easier than you'd think simply because they are so hard to kill. If they lumber back in busted to poo poo and you have your doctor practice being a vet for the medical XP (and why wouldn't you?), they have a chance of bonding with the animal for every treatment they perform.

The chance is small, but when you're bandaging a dozen wounds at a time it adds up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bears breed pretty fast. Now I'm also getting into elephants. I have now idea how to teach animals to fight it would prob help me out.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Bears and Thrumbo also get bonded easier than you'd think simply because they are so hard to kill. If they lumber back in busted to poo poo and you have your doctor practice being a vet for the medical XP (and why wouldn't you?), they have a chance of bonding with the animal for every treatment they perform.

The chance is small, but when you're bandaging a dozen wounds at a time it adds up.

Which is why one of the safest methods for taming rare and dangerous animals like Thrumbo (or... T-Rex for example, with mods) is to down it, slowly torture it until it suffers from dozens of small, non-threating wounds, then patch it up, wait until it heals a little and then repeat the process until a bond is formed and it auto-tames. :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Bears breed pretty fast. Now I'm also getting into elephants. I have now idea how to teach animals to fight it would prob help me out.

it's just checkboxes in this UI, you're looking at all there is to it. once they are trained, you can assign them to follow master while drafted and manually release them during a fight, not really anything to it beyond that.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Welp, managed to get my caravan home but in the meantime everyone at home got Malaria and then I got hit by a huge raid soooo....guess this run is over ;(

I even went to the trouble of training an attack rhino, but his master is disabled with extreme malaria so it won't even defend my base ughhhh

Assign the rhino to someone capable of shouting charge.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Started a new colony as Rich Explorer, first colonist that joins has Wimp, immediately gets sensory mechanites.

Good stuff

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's why Wimp is an exile/ditch/turn into useful organs on sight for me. Not only drags themselves down for weeks but another pawn has to spend time tending to them forever, too.

Also holy poo poo half a year of everything being on fire constantly owns lmao

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you're a little ways into the game, an otherwise good wimp can be a good candidate for illegal psychic since you're going to be putting a painstopper on them anyway.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm trying a "marooned" sort of start. Tribal settings but the weebles have decent skills and starting weapons/supplies. But goddamn there is no steel on this map. Lots of insects, but no steel.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you learn more spells for each level or do they only learn a single spell for each your title gains?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You get 1 free spell every time you upgrade your psycaster level, but you can also install the spells themselves directly. You can get 'em from quests or buy them from exotic goods traders or caravanning to imperial (requires knight/dame title) or modern tech faction bases. You can give one guy all the powers.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

On this new playthrough I turned off blight. Even with the "auto cut blight" mod I was sick of how it would burn through all of my crops in an instant.

I just set a zone that's only the crops and nothing else, and when blight comes up I send everyone there and turn off sowing. Usually they can take care of it before it spreads.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My problem child colonist went on an insulting spree and my doctor beat him to within an inch of his life before patching him up. It was p gratifying. I recruited him when I was desperate for another warm body and I've put too much work into making him a decent crafter and shooter to eject him now. Also, my best melee fighter and backup cook/builder married his whiny rear end for some reason.

Flesh Forge posted:

Wolves definitely do, not sure about bears, I'll make an effort to tame some bears.

Wargs bond as well. I thought I was real bright as I turned my warg puppies into a pack that literally ate raiders for lunch. Then I had a raid go bad. Lost one pawn, most of the others (including my animal handler and a bonded warg) were wounded, corpses everywhere, just a real mess. Then I harvested some organs from a prisoner, not realizing that the entire colony got a debuff rather than the doctor. My colony was basically debuff central.

Then the warg got infected and died. My farmer pawn immediately went on a sad wander with an extreme infection and I had to arrest him before he dropped dead, so then he was pouty about that too. Cue endless days of minor/major break warnings. They're still useful but a pack of killer wargs on the front lines is no longer part of my Plan A.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I got a handle on the game by now and my current colony is doing fine in Summer Y2. Though I was still on three colonists which sucked a bit. Luckily a slaver came by and had a decent and young guy in his stock that I promptly "freed" and welcomed.

Next day he decides to throw a party to celebrate his new life and within seconds he insults my main combat dude and gets beaten pretty bad. Both of them then landed in the hospital bed together and bonded over words about raincoats and throwing spears. Later that day a fight broke out in the slaver caravan and it seems like one of participants was the other slave that I didn't buy. Because I caught him hang and eat in my rec room that evening due to the blood stains he left behind. And when the caravan left at night he just booked it in a different direction and off the map. Good luck, little goon :wave:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

so why do steel walls still burn like wood? Are they steel bricks held together with jet fuel?

Also, just getting a guy to "Esquire" is awesome, that AoE blind spell makes infestations no problem at all

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's one of those weird game-designer things that are completely unrealistic and just there for balance reasons, to make it arbitrarily harder for you to keep walls up. feel free to mod it out of it bugs you, there's like a dozen mods that do this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They don't burn like wood, they're much less flammable than wood, but they can still burn.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't even see how there's a balance case for it really, without a mod steel walls just suck, they cost far too much steel, don't have that much HP and they're loving flammable. The only edge case for them would be early game when you can't afford the time to make stone blocks yet, but that's when you won't have much steel yet either, and they don't have so much more durability than the infinitely renewable wood.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't say it's a GOOD game-designer thing but it is very much a game-designer thing, it's certainly not there for realism or immersion reasons.
e: it's like sappers tunneling straight through hundreds of tiles of mountain rather than 1 tile of wall, or suicidal enemies dropping grenades and missiles on top of themselves just so they can also hit your nearby tamed rat, etc

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 9, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They have an edge case use if you're doing something wacky like a tribal tundra where there's 6 trees on the entire map and you need a hut and every scrap of wood to fuel a campfire in it or else freeze to death on day 1, but outside of that yeah, never use them.

Honestly I think the only reason they are that way is because they've always been that way. They were that way back in alpha .0001 or whatever it was when I started playing, which was when steel was literally the only building material and there was nothing to compare it to. Even before the game had wood or stone in it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did an operation on the king, while asleep he decided to give a speech. He fell to the ground and had to be rescued and canceled his speech.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Turns out you can stack certain weather conditions on top of others if you get them through quests.
Got a volcanic winter straight after a cold snap (seriously, like 1 day inbetween them), and was kinda irked until I got a quest like a day later asking if I would be willing to take on a heat wave for 7 days.

Now I have a comfortable 27-30 degrees with both active.

Probably wouldn't recommend stacking two of the same though.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 9, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pharnakes posted:

I don't even see how there's a balance case for it really, without a mod steel walls just suck, they cost far too much steel, don't have that much HP and they're loving flammable. The only edge case for them would be early game when you can't afford the time to make stone blocks yet, but that's when you won't have much steel yet either, and they don't have so much more durability than the infinitely renewable wood.

steel walls would be extremely good if they didn't burn, steel very abruptly becomes a very low priority after about the first year of the game, steel doesn't require processing to build (like stone chunks to blocks do), and the structure goes up a lot faster than stone. it saves a huge load of labor to go that route, and saving labor is pretty giant in this game.

but as you say, their flammability makes them a constant liability so in vanilla it's not even remotely worth it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just install the metal doesn't burn mod?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I thought I read removing steel flamabikty very specifically in the 1.1 patch notes?

Edit yep I was wrong. Only mention is that sandbags don't use steel anymore. Why did I think this?

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 9, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah there's a few, here's one

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1923990111

related to this, I had no idea GOLD walls were flammable what the gently caress :confused:

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's got a lower melting point than steel. :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rimworld: [Mod] Chemfuel Can't Melt Steel Beams

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

Rimworld: [Mod] Chemfuel Can't Melt Steel Beams

Lmao

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
The two biggest "wait, what?" moments in Rimworld for me were both steel related. One, that it melts from firewood, and two, you mine it directly from mountain ranges. Love finding those natural steel veins...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game does mention that the steel/component deposits are specifically not naturally occuring, they're compacted ancient structures.

I would generally suggest that a stuff overhaul mod can be a quite worthwhile addition to the game, as yes, the base game does not make much use of the stuff system, in the sense of a wide range of effects and stuffs to make things out of. Things that add metallurgy and different wood/cloth types are quite good, IMO, as it dovetails nicely with a lot of other systems where you may want to make the effort to secure the best resource to make a thing out of.

If there was a DLC I'd like actually, that'd be one, because there's no one really good stuff overhaul mod out there.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Materials when it comes to making things like clothes really matter, it's just so strange building materials matter very little. I think the only important parts of building materials are what, flammability and beauty? I guess HP as well, but everything falls apart pretty quickly anyways. I've shot out tiles of steel with bows, as an absurd example.

Making materials have a 'minimum damage point' would be really handy. Plasteel ignoring conventional weaponry sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The game does mention that the steel/component deposits are specifically not naturally occuring, they're compacted ancient structures.

I would generally suggest that a stuff overhaul mod can be a quite worthwhile addition to the game, as yes, the base game does not make much use of the stuff system, in the sense of a wide range of effects and stuffs to make things out of. Things that add metallurgy and different wood/cloth types are quite good, IMO, as it dovetails nicely with a lot of other systems where you may want to make the effort to secure the best resource to make a thing out of.

If there was a DLC I'd like actually, that'd be one, because there's no one really good stuff overhaul mod out there.

I just wish you could make carpets out of animal fibers. I like playing desert herders and it's annoying to have to grow cotton just for that.