Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

because of transmission to others through cat or is there a risk to pets too?

what's the deal with doctors anyway, are you meant to self-isolate if you saw a patient and you weren't taking precautions? And is it basically up to the 2-week point after you saw the person, so you'd either have it by now or not? Just wondering because if things start to spike I'm wondering how they're gonna keep people safe

Hope you're ok though! Watch some cat videos at least

Right now its some variation of 'test, self-isolate and test again if you become symptomatic' depending on the trust. As things get worse though I fully expect it to be 'sod testing, all the patients have it anyway' and you keep working until you drop. Much like what's happened/happening in Wuhan and Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chuka Umana posted:

wait what when did peter tatchell become an rear end in a top hat.

it's an interesting thing, quite a lot of people who are influential in one group of discriminated-against people (is there a word for this? feels like there should be) are often really lovely towards other groups of discriminated-against people

see lesbians who are also terves and one Trevor Philips who no-one had ever heard of before today

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Julio Cruz posted:

it's an interesting thing, quite a lot of people who are influential in one group of discriminated-against people (is there a word for this? feels like there should be) are often really lovely towards other groups of discriminated-against people

see lesbians who are also terves and one Trevor Philips who no-one had ever heard of before today

i knew of him when the ehrc investigation started precisely because he was known as a huge islamophobe then despite being on the board of the ehrc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

Trevor Philips who no-one had ever heard of before today

He was president of the NUS when I was at Uni. He used to hang out in the ULU bar in Malet St. I'm sure he had dreadlocks then too but can't find any photos of him from those years.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

My internal monologue changed reading this. :jerry:

*cat kramers into the room*

Z the IVth posted:

Right now its some variation of 'test, self-isolate and test again if you become symptomatic' depending on the trust. As things get worse though I fully expect it to be 'sod testing, all the patients have it anyway' and you keep working until you drop. Much like what's happened/happening in Wuhan and Italy.

is there a set period to isolate though? Like one day seems like it wouldn't prove anything, but I can see why "X days after the person you had contact with displayed symptoms" might be a thing, if that's what it is?

Yeah I can definitely see them welping it at some point. I can even more see Boris "why contain it, it's cool" Johnson publicly declaring all NHS workers must do the right thing, like in the war, and "work through the sniffles"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Miftan posted:

If you have any idea for an ep you'd be interested in doing let us know and we can probably swing it.
We should do an ep about royal nonces tbh

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

I was mulling over this exact thing re Trevor Philips, and all I could come up with is that the people who get signal boosted and/or appointed to prominent roles are often politically/socially well-connected. So they are embedded within and generally amenable to the status quo, with perhaps some ideas about tinkering at the edges.

Which is liberalism.txt I guess, but seems like a very particular example of it. Also, the current headline in the Guardian is a great example of how to frame a story: "Trevor Phillips dismayed at Labour suspension over Muslim comments," not "Trevor Philips suspended for Islamaphobic comments"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1237047370380173313?s=21

This looks potentially worth keeping an eye on for people interested in such things.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
319 cases, about the same number Italy had two weeks ago. I wonder if we're gonna try a lockdown or the governments just gonna say "gently caress it"

Mother's day in two week's time too so expect everyone to wriggle out of lockdowns and kill their elderly mothers off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/VoterBritish/status/1237027956834340864?s=20

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

i knew of him when the ehrc investigation started precisely because he was known as a huge islamophobe then despite being on the board of the ehrc

Reminds me of John Mann becoming the anti-racism tzar when he's racist as gently caress to travellers.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I blame 90s boyband Blue.

All this talk of driving a low ride with the top down, hands high when the city's on lockdown. If they must make non essential travel they want to be keeping their hands in the vehicle at all times.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

319 cases, about the same number Italy had two weeks ago. I wonder if we're gonna try a lockdown or the governments just gonna say "gently caress it"

Mother's day in two week's time too so expect everyone to wriggle out of lockdowns and kill their elderly mothers off

they'll definitely just say gently caress it

the gobshite at work has loudly exclaimed something along the lines of "3 people have died and all this fuss? It's ridiculous! it's just the media hyping things up"

if I didn't work with her, I'd almost wish it on her

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I wonder if we're gonna try a lockdown or the governments just gonna say "gently caress it"
You know what the plan is:

UKMT March 2020 -

One of the theories is gently caress you

Lungboy posted:

Reminds me of John Mann becoming the anti-racism tzar when he's racist as gently caress
Also in general.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lungboy posted:

Reminds me of John Mann becoming the anti-racism tzar when he's racist as gently caress to travellers.

Still not as good as the "antisemitism tsar" which is hilariously stupid terminology whoever gets the post :v:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

XMNN posted:

they'll definitely just say gently caress it

the gobshite at work has loudly exclaimed something along the lines of "3 people have died and all this fuss? It's ridiculous! it's just the media hyping things up"

if I didn't work with her, I'd almost wish it on her

4 people now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BrokenParamedic/status/1237001816547766272

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

sebzilla posted:

4 people now
the way she phrased it made it sound like she wasn't even aware of deaths in other countries, it was bizarre

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

is there a set period to isolate though? Like one day seems like it wouldn't prove anything, but I can see why "X days after the person you had contact with displayed symptoms" might be a thing, if that's what it is?

Yeah I can definitely see them welping it at some point. I can even more see Boris "why contain it, it's cool" Johnson publicly declaring all NHS workers must do the right thing, like in the war, and "work through the sniffles"

If you're exposed, you'll be tested and you should isolate until the results are back. If you develop symptoms then re-isolate and re-test. If there's any doubt then isolate for 2 weeks.

If they don't slow down the curve he NHS is going to be overwhelmed and everything is going to melt down. There was a presentation today which expected 30k admissions for a region with maybe 6k hospital beds total? It makes a difference whether we reach that 30k number over a 3 months or over 3 weeks. The estimation is a 4-6 week recovery time for the severe cases means resources will be tied up for an exceedingly long time.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lungboy posted:

What one of the Labour fuckhead four got punted to the Lords by the Tories and given an official position by the government?

I mean I guess he's just not pretending anymore, but still, I thought they're all gone.

e: Huh I guess Stringer is still a Labour MP as well, he is the climate change denial and gently caress migrants one. Funny thing is I always thought Mann was the least worst of the four.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 9, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

In that case we completely forgot because we are a professional and put together enterprise. Apologies! You should still come on! If you have any idea for an ep you'd be interested in doing let us know and we can probably swing it.

That’s okay, I’m just a little disappointed, I live right near the oval office and he built his free school specifically to avoid sending his children to the secondary school I went to. If you ever do an ep on Momentum let me know since I work there.

Also lol the Tories are going to kill their own voters.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's probably the least bad reason I can think of for Toby Young wanting access to a school.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's a press conference just ending on that, it's entirely "gently caress it" and they're throwing lives away

seriously watch it all, i can't put all the insanity of the q&a section into writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1b-JdeRKyY

as a sample: they seem to think there's a limit on the number of people you can infect so banning large gatherings is useless

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I found a youtube channel that is extremely on brand for the thread re: capitalism and plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qF2hEefXg

If you want to be yelled at about capitalism and plants for an hour by a guy who sounds like he's in the chicago mob, it is the channel for you.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

wonderful to see the lib reaction to the trevor phillips suspension confirm that these people never gave a poo poo about racism

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Why contain it? S’cool.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
my left testicle hurts really really badly and I've been sat in a+e for an hour already waiting to see someone anyone

good thing I'm pretty sure it's not a torsion cos I think I'd be fuckedddd

glad this happened now and not in a month I suppose

also super glad it's not going to cost me tens of thousands of pounds

e: lol literally got seen just after posting this, should have done it sooner!

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 9, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The stupid thing about a&e waiting times is that it's entirely a consequence of underfunding. Comparing it with Czech Republic where I grew up it's basically night and day - there's separate 24 hour emergency services in almost every hospital department (along with an actual accident emergency unit, so you don't have accident victims fighting for space with someone getting the sniffles) and the wait times are more like 30 minutes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The two balls should have different medical names, I propose levicle and dexticle.

Anyway hope you got on okay, get well soon.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

what was wrong with your testis. enquiring minds need to know.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Blind man with guide dog punched by van driver

quote:

A blind man walking with his guide dog was punched repeatedly when he asked a van driver to move off the pavement to enable him to pass.

Tony Webb, 73, was attacked in Bishop's Stortford in Hertfordshire at about 09:00 GMT on Sunday.

His daughter posted a photograph of his black eye which has been shared by more than 15,000 people on social media.

She said he was recovering at home but was very shaken and was "petrified" of going outside.

Tracy Hassell, who said her father can see some light and dark, wrote on Facebook: "My blind dad was attacked in Bishop's Stortford town centre this morning at 9am by a man... who was parked on the pavement in a white van."

'Didn't believe he was blind'
She told the BBC: "Dad asked the driver if he would move so he and Sammy, his guide dog, could get past, but the man said 'no'.

"Dad asked him again and said it was out of order to park on the pavement, and the next thing he knew he was pushed up against the van - he thinks he was punched three times in his eye.

"The man even told my father he didn't believe he was blind."

Stuff like this really pisses me off, we are so poo poo with disability in this country.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Next Friday is my hernia operation, and I am praying that the virus hold its loving horses until then. It could be a more serious condition to have, but I'd at least like to not have to deal with it while suffering from coronavirus as well.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pilchenstein posted:

We should do an ep about royal nonces tbh

Stop trying to kill our editor!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Why contain it? S’cool.

I'm actually with them on this, it can't be contained. The strategy seems to be trying to delay the inevitable mass epidemic till summer, when the NHS is less stretched.

We're all getting it more than likely.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1237069021050265602

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Why contain it? S’cool.

Even Bob Page wanted them to beg him to save them, the gently caress does Boris want.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

winegums posted:

what was wrong with your testis. enquiring minds need to know.

epididymitis

it is extremely not fun, but at least I'm probably not going to lose it

I was a bit blasé when the nurse asked if I cared if I saw a male doctor (even if I was bothered, I'm not sure how prudish you'd have to be to voluntarily wait longer to have a man examine your swollen ball) but I wasn't expecting her to be (probably) younger than me which was a little disconcerting tbh

I suppose the fact several of my friends are now junior doctors should have prepared me for the concept, though

XMNN fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 9, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

Even Bob Page wanted them to beg him to save them, the gently caress does Boris want.

desperately needs the economy to not completely poo poo the bed while in EU negotiations

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm waiting eagerly for the Guardian to produce its inevitable sanctimonious, bitterly angry opinion piece about Trevor Philips' suspension and what it says about the moral decay of the Labour Party, so I can read it and get cross. This probably isn't good for my health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Z the IVth posted:

If you're exposed, you'll be tested and you should isolate until the results are back. If you develop symptoms then re-isolate and re-test. If there's any doubt then isolate for 2 weeks.

If they don't slow down the curve he NHS is going to be overwhelmed and everything is going to melt down. There was a presentation today which expected 30k admissions for a region with maybe 6k hospital beds total? It makes a difference whether we reach that 30k number over a 3 months or over 3 weeks. The estimation is a 4-6 week recovery time for the severe cases means resources will be tied up for an exceedingly long time.

oh ok I get ya. And yeah don't worry, our capable PM says everyone should just catch it so clearly it's all under control

OwlFancier posted:

I found a youtube channel that is extremely on brand for the thread re: capitalism and plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qF2hEefXg

If you want to be yelled at about capitalism and plants for an hour by a guy who sounds like he's in the chicago mob, it is the channel for you.

yeah that guy owns