Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's only been what... a week? There can't be many people in mythic yet, there just hasn't been a lot of time for the matches, especially if people are only doing their 5 to 15 a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I just saw a really gross play from monored I hadn't seen yet. Dude played a second Anax, forcing him to sacrifice the first, but since there were 2 on the board he got 4 tokens out of it. Torbran next turn wrecked me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

I just saw a really gross play from monored I hadn't seen yet. Dude played a second Anax, forcing him to sacrifice the first, but since there were 2 on the board he got 4 tokens out of it. Torbran next turn wrecked me.

This is a trick I've known about for ages, and I often see people play kinda weirdly (e.g. not swinging first). I really like a Legendary where having a second copy isn't more or less a complete waste of a card, it's an element of Anax that people often overlook that makes him even more useful.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

This is a trick I've known about for ages, and I often see people play kinda weirdly (e.g. not swinging first). I really like a Legendary where having a second copy isn't more or less a complete waste of a card, it's an element of Anax that people often overlook that makes him even more useful.

You don't want them to block anax in combat and kill it, denying the 4x tokens. You usually don't care about blocking on the crack back, because usually you've the life lead.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

You don't want them to block anax in combat and kill it, denying the 4x tokens. You usually don't care about blocking on the crack back, because usually you've the life lead.

I've definitely seen people ignore completely safe swings with Anax, then replace him afterwards.

The other one is choosing the tapped one to keep after swinging, instead of taking an untapped one who can block.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I've definitely seen people ignore completely safe swings with Anax, then replace him afterwards.

The other one is choosing the tapped one to keep after swinging, instead of taking an untapped one who can block.

Yeah both of those are dumb misplays, but playing him precombat is a way to avoid instant speed interaction of the "combo." Once you head in to your precombat main, active player has priority, and the second anax gets played, with no way to interact with the triggers going on the stack.

There are cases where you'd rather have the tokens when you're against someone with potentially brazen borrower, or gust, who is saving that for the combat step.

Just because you don't have interaction when people are doing that, doesn't means it's incorrect to play around it. Especially if you've got blue mana open.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's wrong. You can cast Anax as soon as you enter your main phase, but your opponent can still use Aether Gust or Brazen Borrower with your Anax on the stack to deny you the tokens if they want to. Swinging with Anax is better there because they may be willing to let the damage through.

Effects like Seal Away and Settle the Wreckage would be reasons to play first main phase though.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 8, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Shooting Blanks posted:

Haha yeah this owns and I love doing it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I would rarely not swing with my mana open anyway, just because it's likely I look like I'm about to embercleave, and if they overcommit and let me take out a blocker or two in exchange for my current Anax who I'm replacing anyway, that's rarely not going to be worth a couple of 1-1 tokens that can't block.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Alright, here I am finally done with Theros draft*. After opening all my current packs, packs yet to earn from the mastery pass, and packs yet to earn from season rewards, I'll have over 90% of the rares in the set, and opening the packs will also give me enough rare wildcards to craft the rest of them if I so desire. Not that I would (just the ones that I actually want to play), because I can gradually fill out the rest with packs I'll get in future mastery passes.
*Technically I still have to play out this last draft, but I'll do that next month just in case ranked draft for the next set doesn't drop in time for that season.

Interestingly, this also pretty much spot on to where I "break even", and have spent about as much on Draft and Sealed as I get in one set's worth of f2p income. (Which I guess means that if I'd just stuck to draft instead of spewing gems on bo1 Sealed, I'd be ahead overall).

In hindsight, if you enjoy the draft format it's a great way to get a 100% complete collection of Rares. Mythics not so much - I'm nowhere near completion, and if I'd spent that bankroll on packs instead I'd have ~3-4 more mythic wildcards to play with for getting the exact mythics I wanted. Fortunately, it doesn't look like the mythics this set are the bottleneck - 3-4 Uro is the only "must have", the rest are only needed if you want to build their specific deck (and sometimes even only a 1-2 of there).

My big regret is not binging harder to get all my drafts in before they switched it off for two weeks for no reason. And doing Sealed at the start - I did three Sealeds, which could have instead been 8 drafts, which would have been more fun and also much better for collection purposes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

2 quick questions:

300% is the max you can get the vault to, correct?

I just hit level 70 in the pass. Do I still have plenty of time to hit 90 (max level with actual rewards) before the next pass starts?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Nope. Some streamers I've seen are well over 1000%.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I just hit level 70 in the pass. Do I still have plenty of time to hit 90 (max level with actual rewards) before the next pass starts?

You should be fine. We're ages away from Icoria and there are usually some special events towards the end that award a lot of XP.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

2 quick questions:

https://mtgazone.com/mastery-calculator/

That should answer your question.

No idea in vault. Makes no sense they would cap it though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Am I being a loving idiot or is it impossible to queue up for the standard event right now? I bought in, am on the screen with the win track. Clicking on either "choose your deck" or the big plus sign takes me to my decks screen. I select any of my standard decks and there's no confirmation button, only edit. I'm either blind or wotc have somehow broken their client

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Wafflecopper posted:

Am I being a loving idiot or is it impossible to queue up for the standard event right now? I bought in, am on the screen with the win track. Clicking on either "choose your deck" or the big plus sign takes me to my decks screen. I select any of my standard decks and there's no confirmation button, only edit. I'm either blind or wotc have somehow broken their client

I had that happen last week. Try restarting the client, worked for me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

2 quick questions:

I don't think the vault rewards get better if you leave it longer, do they? I've just been opening it as soon as it completes, is that bad?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think the vault rewards get better if you leave it longer, do they? I've just been opening it as soon as it completes, is that bad?

No, but you can only see actual Vault progress % if you have a full vault, so if your not WC starved leave your next one and keep one in stock so you can more easily track your progress.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They should really just bury a "show vault progress" toggle someplace deep in a menu where people won't hit it accidentally.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What's the vault?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's what your duplicate commons and uncommons turn into. Gives you a small handful of wildcards when you fill it up.

Also: Field of the Dead unbanned in Historic, while Oko, Veil, and Once Upon A Time moved to more permanently banned.

And Golos finally out of Brawl like what should have happened last time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Banned and Restriction update:

:siren:GOLOS BANNED IN BRAWL:siren:
:toot:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

It's what your duplicate commons and uncommons turn into. Gives you a small handful of wildcards when you fill it up.

Also: Field of the Dead unbanned in Historic, while Oko, Veil, and Once Upon A Time moved to more permanently banned.

And Golos finally out of Brawl like what should have happened last time.

Thanks. How do you find your vault?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Elephant Ambush posted:

What's the vault?

It's a small pile of bonus wildcards you get after a while. If you get more than 4 copies of a card from packs, the extras get turned into "vault progress" score, and when that gets over 100% you can trade it in for like 1 Mythic, 2 Rare, and a number of Uncommon WCs.

Banned & Restricted announcement this morning; no changes to Standard, but Field of the Dead is un-suspended in Legacy. Golos is banned from Brawl if you care about that sort of thing. Underworld Breach was banned from Legacy for being stupid good with Lion's Eye Diamond.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks. How do you find your vault?

It only shows up when it's full, there's a way to search in your game log to find how full it is if you care, but there's no way to fill it any more quickly in particular so it's not hugely worth tracking it.

E: I believe it fills whenever you get an uncommon, not just from packs - so from ICRs and sealed/draft as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

It only shows up when it's full, there's a way to search in your game log to find how full it is if you care, but there's no way to fill it any more quickly in particular so it's not hugely worth tracking it.

Thanks. That seems dumb though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

about time, thank god

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh good I can go back to playing Brawl without having to roll my eyes at Golos decks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So what's the prediction for the next Brawl meta? I'd like to get into it but I avoided it until now because everyone said half the decks are Golos and that didn't sound fun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

So what's the prediction for the next Brawl meta? I'd like to get into it but I avoided it until now because everyone said half the decks are Golos and that didn't sound fun.

The new most annoying deck is almost certainly going to be Nicol Bolas Grixis Control because the deck pretty much builds and plays itself and requires almost no creativity or innovation to be good.

That said I think various flavors of mono blue are really strong right now, Haktos is a lot of fun and can reliably get you a lot of wins for free against many decks and Uro seems like a solid bet because you can play pretty much all the strongest cards in the format.

Golos being gone absolutely opens up a ton of space for new decks

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 9, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IDK if it's brawl just being a really soft format where people are super inclined to drop if it's not going their way, but all my Brawl decks have excellent records. Torbran, Torstani Discordant, Haktos, and Garruk. Albeit I've not done the format a terrific amount with any of them, maybe 30-ish matches each.

Even in the heights of everything-is-Golos, I found it to be an interesting, varied format where people really didn't take much advantage of the key element, i.e. you can definitely always get your key combo piece available.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just had the dumbest match ever:

I ran out of cards despite having only around 5 cards of extra draw and 4 cards worth of self-mill. My opponent was down to 5ish cards, too.
I was down to 2 life at one point and healed about 20 life using tymmie and the warden. My opponent also had a bit of healing on the side and I did probably more then 20 damage total using the dreams of the underworld.

My plan : Attack with everything, do 2 damage with the flyer and he dies to the draw proc of underworld dreams on his turn.
My estimation of his plan : Remember that he has a heal for sacrifice and let me die to my empty library.
Actual ending : He forgets that tymmie has trample and dies to that.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elephant Ambush posted:

5 color Niv and Yarok.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

IDK if it's brawl just being a really soft format where people are super inclined to drop if it's not going their way, but all my Brawl decks have excellent records. Torbran, Torstani Discordant, Haktos, and Garruk. Albeit I've not done the format a terrific amount with any of them, maybe 30-ish matches each.

Even in the heights of everything-is-Golos, I found it to be an interesting, varied format where people really didn't take much advantage of the key element, i.e. you can definitely always get your key combo piece available.

Could you please post your Torbran deck? That sounds fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Could you please post your Torbran deck? That sounds fun.

Commander
1 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147

Deck
1 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
22 Mountain (ELD) 265
1 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
1 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
1 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
1 Thrill of Possibility (ELD) 146
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
1 Honor the God-Pharaoh (WAR) 132
1 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
1 Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (M20) 136
1 Scampering Scorcher (M20) 158
1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
1 Heraldic Banner (ELD) 222
1 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
1 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
1 Shock (M20) 160
1 Thunderkin Awakener (M20) 162
1 Tectonic Giant (THB) 158
1 Infuriate (THB) 141
1 Chandra's Pyrohelix (WAR) 120
1 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
1 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
1 Hero of the Games (THB) 137
1 Brimstone Trebuchet (ELD) 116
1 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
1 Uncaged Fury (M20) 163
1 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
1 Wrap in Flames (THB) 164
1 Heroes of the Revel (THB) 138
1 Raging Redcap (ELD) 134
1 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
1 Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded (THB) 150
1 Irencrag Feat (ELD) 127
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239

The Heroes are a recent addition, it's not been tested much since then.

It's still basically monored aggro, though I've won out in much longer games at times thanks to Experimental Frenzy, Ox of Agonas, etc. Though it looks like I took the Ox out in this version...

Again though, the big benefit of it in Brawl is that you can just hold off casting Torbran until you get the maximal benefit of him, then not care if he's immediately killed because you can cast him again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

Commander
1 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147

Deck
1 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
22 Mountain (ELD) 265
1 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
1 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
1 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
1 Thrill of Possibility (ELD) 146
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
1 Honor the God-Pharaoh (WAR) 132
1 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
1 Drakuseth, Maw of Flames (M20) 136
1 Scampering Scorcher (M20) 158
1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
1 Heraldic Banner (ELD) 222
1 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
1 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
1 Shock (M20) 160
1 Thunderkin Awakener (M20) 162
1 Tectonic Giant (THB) 158
1 Infuriate (THB) 141
1 Chandra's Pyrohelix (WAR) 120
1 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
1 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
1 Hero of the Games (THB) 137
1 Brimstone Trebuchet (ELD) 116
1 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
1 Uncaged Fury (M20) 163
1 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
1 Wrap in Flames (THB) 164
1 Heroes of the Revel (THB) 138
1 Raging Redcap (ELD) 134
1 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
1 Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded (THB) 150
1 Irencrag Feat (ELD) 127
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239

The Heroes are a recent addition, it's not been tested much since then.

It's still basically monored aggro, though I've won out in much longer games at times thanks to Experimental Frenzy, Ox of Agonas, etc. Though it looks like I took the Ox out in this version...

Again though, the big benefit of it in Brawl is that you can just hold off casting Torbran until you get the maximal benefit of him, then not care if he's immediately killed because you can cast him again.

Thanks! This looks fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There are definitely tweaks to make to it tbh. Cavalier would be good, as would Ox of Agonas.

I don't have the Cav, which is why it's not there.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Thoughts on what to cut? My instinct is -1 Manticore, -1 Flicker/Tactics, -1 Portent

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Portent and 2x Wrap in Flames imo. I wouldn't cut any creatures as you're short on them already. Actually maybe keep Portent and add Skophos Warleader, then you'll have an extra sac outlet to make Portent better. Cut some of your other combat ticks or auras instead. In concolusion, idk, probably just ignore me and listen to somebody better

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 10, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Aww this sucks. It costs a ton of coins to even play Brawl and you can't even goldfish against Sparky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

wrap in flames is pretty good with 6 heroes

think your initial ideas are solid

maybe cut blood aspirant and portent and forget the sacrifice angle, just stick with go wide