Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

cage-free egghead posted:

I see that DX Racer chair from every youtuber, I imagine it's not a bad chair unless they're getting paid to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

rafikki posted:

Not going to lie, my GF and I have talked a fair bit about moving to Finland or Norway. I have an infosec background and she's an accountant, so we're hopeful that would transfer well enough. Language is one of the bigger concerns. Certainly not averse to picking up the local language, just realistic about getting older and not learning languages as well anymore :(

Don't sweat it too much, if you find a neat position you can get by in Finland without Finnish, as long as you don't live literally in the woods. Any city with an university in it will have English speakers and especially so the capital of Helsinki and the areas around it. I have met some non-Finns who have picked up the language to an understandable degree as adults. Also, PM me if you wish to talk about infosec opportunities, I do that and I know there is both a demand for people and several companies recruiting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DelphiAegis posted:

I WFH 100% and am in the market for a new chair to sit my rear end in. My previous has had the gas piston fail and won't go up anymore. Probably because of my fat goony rear end... and the fact that it's like 10 years old.

What are all your fat goony asses sitting in when you work, if you got your own chair? I'm honestly expecting to have to pay at least $200 for a quality chair, but it's been so long I have no idea what to look for anymore. Most office chairs have leather (gently caress that), and the "gamer" chairs look hilariously uncomfortable/stupid/overpriced.

I recently got fed up with my lovely office and chair and I seriously considered shelling out the $900-1400 for a Herman Miller or a Steelcase, because they're the only ones that all the review websites (Wirecutter, etc.) think are any good, but ended up buying a $130 Aeron knockoff from Costco. We'll see if it's $130 for build quality reasons, but I've been very happy with it so far.

I haven't had it that long yet, but if it breaks in short order, I am just going to suck it up and buy one of the crazy expensive chairs.

guppy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 6, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

rafikki posted:

Not going to lie, my GF and I have talked a fair bit about moving to Finland or Norway. I have an infosec background and she's an accountant, so we're hopeful that would transfer well enough. Language is one of the bigger concerns. Certainly not averse to picking up the local language, just realistic about getting older and not learning languages as well anymore :(

Infosec? Come on over here to :norway:, we need infosec people badly. And accountants seem to always find a job, so she'll be fine :v:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Oh motorized standing desks. Are. The. poo poo.

A few months ago, our office went all-out and replaced literally every desk with those fancy standing desks from IKEA. Took about a week to put them all together, and set them all up. The first week was a crazy amount of desks going up and down.

Now it's just one or two guys changing from sitting to standing or vice versa like, once a week.

I tried the standing thing on day 1, then put it back down and never touched that button again.
I have a standing desk/laptop at home, I don't need it at work too

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I bounce up and down all the time when I have a convertible desk. Probably spend more time standing than sitting though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Our whole office got standing desks when we remodeled. I try to use mine a few times a week at least. It is nice being able to raise it up for my tall rear end, and, since I’m desktop support, raise them up to fettle wires under the desk.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am talking someone through adding a two factor authenticator on their phone and end up with "oh I have to setup a Google account to use the Play store"

Dear gently caress

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

LethalGeek posted:

I am talking someone through adding a two factor authenticator on their phone and end up with "oh I have to setup a Google account to use the Play store"

Dear gently caress

:stare: How tho?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Google Authenticator, probably. One of my client has it as an option for their 2FA.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kurieg posted:

Google Authenticator, probably. One of my client has it as an option for their 2FA.

I think it's more "how do you own an Android without a Google account". Do they only use built in apps???

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can you even get past initial setup without a Google account? I thought it was mandatory.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, you can skip it. Or at least you used to be able to, I don't know if they changed that like Microsoft did with Windows. (With Home you now have to not connect to a network in order to skip setting up a Microsoft account).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think it's more "how do you own an Android without a Google account". Do they only use built in apps???

It's this. I've done enough mobile support to know people sometimes run everything stock, but it's such a pain to set up an Android without a Google account. Like, why not buy a feature phone if that's all the options you're gonna end up using?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This is deffo a person using nothing but the stock software on the phone and I was amazed they were able to navigate it as little as they seem to use the device. It also took several minutes to explain to them no this app doesn't log you in etc etc.

I'm as shocked as the rest of you they managed along without updated anything ever. Least without an account would the phone ever update?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

LethalGeek posted:

This is deffo a person using nothing but the stock software on the phone and I was amazed they were able to navigate it as little as they seem to use the device. It also took several minutes to explain to them no this app doesn't log you in etc etc.

I'm as shocked as the rest of you they managed along without updated anything ever. Least without an account would the phone ever update?

I think it gets OS updates from the carrier, but I don't know if that includes updated applications. Those apps definitely aren't getting patched without a valid Google Play login, tho.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I mean I can theoretically push apps and updates and poo poo with Airwatch. We can even set up a company app store so the user doesn't need a Google account.
None of that ever worked right though, at least not for very long.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean I can theoretically push apps and updates and poo poo with Airwatch. We can even set up a company app store so the user doesn't need a Google account.
None of that ever worked right though, at least not for very long.

My company requires a Google Play account, because you have to log in and get the AnyConnect VPN app before you can enroll in Airwatch.

Yes. This is supremely dumb. I know. I'm aware.

I might actually be able to do something about it this year, seeing as my team and mobility are getting rolled into the same reporting chain next month. I think my new boss's plan is for me to start working on Airwatch and Windows integration, so...I dunno, should I be worried?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My company requires a Google Play account, because you have to log in and get the AnyConnect VPN app before you can enroll in Airwatch.

Yes. This is supremely dumb. I know. I'm aware.

I might actually be able to do something about it this year, seeing as my team and mobility are getting rolled into the same reporting chain next month. I think my new boss's plan is for me to start working on Airwatch and Windows integration, so...I dunno, should I be worried?

Dust off that 'ol resume.

I actually moved TO creating google play accounts in the Google admin portal with out ORG's domain email names for the sole purpose of not having to loving deal with people bitching about not being able to use whatever work app they need. For what it's worth we stopped paying for Airwatch support and my installation just completely poo poo the bed for the 3rd time and now I don't even have access to download the poo poo I need to in order to get this poo poo fixed by myself. Thank loving god. I can't wait to move on with my life.

For now I'm gonna stick with creating GFW accounts for everyone and just start enrolling all the phones in o365 mdm.
I'll just send out a nice email that says 'look, if we don't like what you're up to, we nuke your phone so think twice before installing that new Candy Crush'.
At least that way I still have the ability to enforce passcodes and wipe the phone if I need to.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I think it gets OS updates from the carrier, but I don't know if that includes updated applications. Those apps definitely aren't getting patched without a valid Google Play login, tho.

OS updates are white-listed/approved by the carrier after, I guess, they test it out on their network.

You can patch through other means, there's the Galaxy Store, which definitely will patch some of the apps that came loaded on my phone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

imaged and deployed a new surface pro as a replacement for user. user asked if they could retain the old one for personal use at home.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So... what did you say? :ohdear:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

my boss said no before i could say yes

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Ghostlight posted:

my boss said no before i could say yes

reported for attempted arson

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in from one of the ~~VIP~~ users saying their Outlook looks more "web-based" and asking if this is normal.

They sent in a screenshot of Outlook's most recent UI, plus the new icons. And noted that "what's a bit odd is how big the lines look on the message composer".

I lack the word to appropriately express how much of a nonissue this is.

E: I have now explained that Verdana is visually a bit larger than Calibri. Different fonts look different!

The user works in the Public Relations office.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 10, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Speaking of attempted arson...

So we hire a lot of contractors, because of course. Corporate sent an email to all employees, regardless of employment status, saying due to CORVID-19, we'll be opening up WFH for anyone who feels they need it or is already sick.

Get in this morning, and one of my boots on the ground sends me a screenshot of his boss telling him none of the people from his agency are allowed to WFH and will have to take PTO or unpaid leave.

Ended up having to drop a verbal pipebomb into the whine-about-work chat saying that if the contractors who touch our computers aren't being allowed time off like the rest of us, poo poo's going to go horribly wrong real quick.

I am now in a ton of trouble, but the contractors are now getting their pay if they're WFH or too sick to get to the office.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Speaking of attempted arson...

So we hire a lot of contractors, because of course. Corporate sent an email to all employees, regardless of employment status, saying due to CORVID-19, we'll be opening up WFH for anyone who feels they need it or is already sick.

Get in this morning, and one of my boots on the ground sends me a screenshot of his boss telling him none of the people from his agency are allowed to WFH and will have to take PTO or unpaid leave.

Ended up having to drop a verbal pipebomb into the whine-about-work chat saying that if the contractors who touch our computers aren't being allowed time off like the rest of us, poo poo's going to go horribly wrong real quick.

I am now in a ton of trouble, but the contractors are now getting their pay if they're WFH or too sick to get to the office.

On behalf of contractors, I salute you.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 11, 2020

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

We've been selling Sangoma phones to customers going with FreePBX lately. From what I've done with them so far they seem pretty decent. Plus you get some of the features from the paid commercial FreePBX modules for free when you use Sangoma phones.

Yeah, this.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

You did the right thing.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Less than a year since rolling out 1500 Cisco phones we're seriously looking at replacing them with Teams Voice phones because the new CIO has a "if Microsoft offers a comparable product, switch." mentality.

Hopefully we just end up with O365 E3.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You're the man, well done!

But also:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Dust off that 'ol resume.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

In case anyone hasn't seen this, Google Authenticator has been compromised, and Google hasn't updated the app since 2017.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-malware-can-steal-google-authenticator-2fa-codes/

You can use the Microsoft Authenticator app instead.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

...gently caress

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I moved all my 2fa stuff to Authy. Please don’t tell me that’s been compromised too.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

In case anyone hasn't seen this, Google Authenticator has been compromised, and Google hasn't updated the app since 2017.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-malware-can-steal-google-authenticator-2fa-codes/

This article says it abuses accessibility privileges (screen reader, I assume) - what stops it from using those same privileges on the MS auth app?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, it’s not an issue with the auth app specifically it’s an issue with googles entire app ecosystem and how permissions are managed.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I've been told the MSFT authenticator is plagued by the same vuln as the Google one. Also, the :yaybutt: Authenticator team just emailed us with a vague, "WE'RE UPDATING YOUR AUTHENTICATOR! BACK UP YO poo poo!" email, that is no doubt related, since all of us use the same backend.

Authy is fine. Use Authy.

And yes, I am polishing my resume, why do you ask?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

n0tqu1tesane posted:

TBH having dug into how most 2FA solutions actually work in practice they are at best 1FA, but twice.

Then when you actually implement the good operation modes that don't render the user susceptible to just MITMing a session and changing the creds/2FA app the CEO just gets angry and hits "allow" to let the attacker into his emails.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

On my team we've got:

A manager who does a lot of the GxP hands-on stuff.
Me, who works projects and takes escalations.
Three people who do a mix of tickets and project-y stuff.
One person on half-time parental leave because they have a newborn at home.
Five contractors doing very explicitly hands-on computer touching, mostly bringing the machines we couldn't manage remotely into the fold. One of them is on a long-term contract, the others are basically doomed unless someone opens up some budget by the end of the month.
One contractor managing the queue and doing tech refreshes, also a hands-on role.

Me, the three, and our manager will be rotating WFH to keep two people on campus for lab support. Our person on parental leave is going 100% WFH.

All of the contractors are 100% on-campus through this. This isn't going to look good to the two we have on longer contracts, and I can't blame them. hell, Manufacturing runs on contractors, they can't help but notice that FTE's are few and far between on campus this week while they're required to show up.

Come to think of it, directors and up are conspicuously absent this week in my department. Theoretically good, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm desktop support, and a literal computer toucher, so can't WFH. I'm also a contractor, so, that's... good, I guess.
Of course, our AV Lab team is talking about WFH, and for some reason that's going to require me to build 23 temporary laptops for them. I still can't get a clear answer why, but my manager seems satisfied with making me and the guy who builds out images (because of course they need bespoke special snowflake loadouts) waste our time building these things. Eh, ain't my budget. Don't want to hear about slow response to tickets, though. Gonna make sure they get the crappiest old laptops I can find. I think I have some Lenovo T420s and Dell 6400s still hanging around for some reason...
Did I mention that every employee in this company has a laptop already?
I *think* these machines are so they can remote into their lab "infect" box, which is exposed to the internet.

Oh, and confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state I live in. And county. :ohdear: