Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

EBB posted:

I'm not gonna cheer for the olds in general to die, but I am gonna cheer for the stupid/greedy people responsible for making this worse dying of illness.

I’m cheering for both :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

EBB posted:

I'm not gonna cheer for the olds in general to die, but I am gonna cheer for the stupid/greedy people responsible for making this worse dying of illness.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1237032789700206592?s=19

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/1237041621319012352?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

For what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/1237002864540737536?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Is 'source greasing' what I think it is?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE (@RATM) Tweeted:
Washing in the name of...

On this occasion it's best you do what they tell ya https://t.co/unDdBh1HDh https://twitter.com/RATM/status/1237036386886303744?s=20

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The Stephen Miller wing of this administration has got to be jerking themselves raw over the prospect of being able to introduce isolationist measures and lots of public suffering that can be blamed on a convenient "other".

Can't wait for them to give up on the "but look at your 401k!" message and go full on white nationalism.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1237037807765512192

The lackeys out there while DJT down in Orlando

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Man, it sure is cool to watch history while it's happening :cabot:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/1236519422917062656
(White House Director of Social Media and Assistant to the President.)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

joat mon posted:

Yeah this was perhaps the most “I shat myself on purpose” moment of his entire presidency right here. They’re so loving dumb they don’t even know what they’re saying.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

joat mon posted:

And the next day the stock market crashed and nobody could stop it

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

joat mon posted:

...did he just Nerown his own boss?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1236994963503751170?s=20

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Yo donny the count literally just went up 76 since you tweeted this so, uh, maybe just shut the gently caress up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

not caring here posted:

...did he just Nerown his own boss?

It's also a QAnon thing. That's a common Q quote.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Might be one of the most idiotic things I've seen in the past ten minutes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are there no mirrors in the room

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Willfully ignoring the generation called "The Greatest Generation" who are the whole reason boomers could be successful at all.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Reminder that they were called the Me Generation until they were old enough to start controlling the media

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Can’t wait for the weepy complaints that they can’t fly to Italy, take cruises, or get Costco free samples at will.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Ok wow, the Dow Jones and SP 500 have completely poo poo the bed.

Hello recession my old friend...

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat, fuckin dusted

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BigDave posted:

Ok wow, the Dow Jones and SP 500 have completely poo poo the bed.

Hello recession my old friend...

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1237079124558086148?s=19

STONKS

Donnie is hella, hella mad and ragetweeting, while sending out drat near anyone possible to hit the microphones, and none of it's working. There's also a weakly-sourced story about him telling staffers that reporters want to get coronavirus so they can get on Air Force One and infect him, so things are Going Well.

Here's that story, but treat it iffy for now:

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1237069021050265602?s=19

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Proud Christian Mom posted:

member of rich family tests positive for covid19, family self quarantines.

except for last night, when two of them just couldn't miss the Daddy/Daughter dance at the Ritz Carlton

https://twitter.com/alexiszotos/status/1236798227346833408?s=20

Mother also broke quarantine, going grocery shopping, to the gym and to get her nails done.

https://twitter.com/mle_goldman/status/1237059125357342721?s=19

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, that sounds about right for the rich shits in West County.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

The estimate of hundreds of thousands is only if the death toll is under 1%. Tens to hundreds of millions of Americans will be infected.

The US healthcare system is not remotely equipped to handle a mass pandemic of that scale. Read what some of the doctors out of Italy are talking about. Hospitals filled over capacity with pneumonic patients. It has already spread nationwide and is about to explode in the USA. There is next to no containment because of fears it will crash the market. This isn’t just the flu.

I know it isn't the flu. I have a doctorate in microbiology and have done clinical research in infectious disease for 9 years. I teach medical microbiology and immunology. This past week I taught a course specifically on coronavirus sorting out what we know vs what we dont and where the misinformation is and then spent the class gaming out several different scenarios.

It's not flu, it's going to be worse, people will die, but we don't need the chicken little'ing on it. We're not Italy and we don't have that same density. Regional DoH efforts can go a long way to prevent this from being the worst case scenario even in the absence of available testing and federal leadership. It's gonna suck, but its not societal collapse. I'm just saying to dial it down a notch. Panic and fear are likely to do more damage than the disease itself.

And well, if I'm wrong and it is societal collapse we won't be online for you to tell me you told me so.

Milo and POTUS posted:

:owned:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

This is like my dad saying his one tour in Vietnam as a teletype repairman is equivalent to my multiples tours in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Medevac Pilot.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Boomers are going to put aside party differences to ensure everyone is totally hosed

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

That Works posted:

It's gonna suck, but its not societal collapse. I'm just saying to dial it down a notch. Panic and fear are likely to do more damage than the disease itself.

And well, if I'm wrong and it is societal collapse we won't be online for you to tell me you told me so.

I don't think anyone in here has been talking about societal collapse though :shrug:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I don't think anyone in here has been talking about societal collapse though :shrug:

I was quoting this originally and just said hey maybe tone it down a little on that.

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo is going to go sideways in a bad way. There is no federal containment measures. Many states and localities have responded, but it's far too little too late. Hundreds of thousands of Americans are going to die.

I guess I don't see a 4-5x increase in fatalities from a bad flu year as the calamitous event others do. Yeah it'll be the most damaging single disease event in living memory, but it's not like the US has dealt with epidemics before and even if the federal level sucks, many state DOH's will actually do useful poo poo to help limit spread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not saying society will collapse. I'm saying hundreds of thousands to millions of people are going to die in a preventable fashion because we have not taken any real precautions to halt the spread. This isn't chicken littling. This is the situation as it is unfolding.

The virus is already spreading in some of the most densely populated places in the USA. Our healthcare system is not equipped to handle the fallout. Lots of people are going to really loving suffer from this even if they don't die. That's the reality of what's about to happen.

Hopefully local measures will actually work at restricting the saturation. I don't have much faith. I expect a lot of people in my city to get sick within a few weeks because nothing has really been done to stop the spread, there are positive infections all over the state, and I'm in the state capital. This is going to really suck.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hoping NPR's market report just starts opening with toccata & fugue while poo poo keeps crashing

(If you're unfamiliar, they play "I'm in the money" if number go up, and some kinda sad piano music if number go down)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

Boomers are going to put aside party differences to ensure everyone is totally hosed

Oh you better believe it. "what do I care about global warming, I'll be dead!" will be their rallying cry and it'll cut across party lines without impediment

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not saying society will collapse. I'm saying hundreds of thousands to millions of people are going to die in a preventable fashion because we have not taken any real precautions to halt the spread. This isn't chicken littling. This is the situation as it is unfolding.

The virus is already spreading in some of the most densely populated places in the USA. Our healthcare system is not equipped to handle the fallout. Lots of people are going to really loving suffer from this even if they don't die. That's the reality of what's about to happen.

Hopefully local measures will actually work at restricting the saturation. I don't have much faith. I expect a lot of people in my city to get sick within a few weeks because nothing has really been done to stop the spread, there are positive infections all over the state, and I'm in the state capital. This is going to really suck.

Which region were you in again?

We've not done national level precautions appropriately, but localities are stepping things up and will (I believe) continue to do so. I have several friends in different state and federal DOH positions and I had your same concern initially (that our healthcare system would collapse making things much worse). While it's possible, and probable in a few places, after talking with them I feel better about it and also I think the death toll of million+ is very unlikely. Wherever you are I hope you are safe.

I'm just trying to stop people from overreacting as I see it pop up because there's only so much we can actually do and having people be more panicked about worst-case outcomes only makes things tougher.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

I was quoting this originally and just said hey maybe tone it down a little on that.

I guess I don't see a 4-5x increase in fatalities from a bad flu year as the calamitous event others do. Yeah it'll be the most damaging single disease event in living memory, but it's not like the US has dealt with epidemics before and even if the federal level sucks, many state DOH's will actually do useful poo poo to help limit spread.

It's not just fatalities from the virus itself, but also fatalities because all medical resources are dedicated to treatment. Add onto that the majority of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. These people cannot afford to be out of work. Nearly a third of our country is underinsured. Saying poo poo is going to go sideways isn't hyperbolic. I'll be alright if I get quarantined to my house for a few weeks to a month. I know a lot of people who will not. Things are going to really loving suck for a lot of people very soon, even if the death rates are only marginally worse than the flu.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm just disappointed it isn't going to be the Great Die-Off

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm just disappointed it isn't going to be the Great Die-Off

Maybe NK gets funny with a nuke and completes the trifecta of oil price wars, disease and nuclear disaster.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

Which region were you in again?

We've not done national level precautions appropriately, but localities are stepping things up and will (I believe) continue to do so. I have several friends in different state and federal DOH positions and I had your same concern initially (that our healthcare system would collapse making things much worse). While it's possible, and probable in a few places, after talking with them I feel better about it and also I think the death toll of million+ is very unlikely. Wherever you are I hope you are safe.

I'm just trying to stop people from overreacting as I see it pop up because there's only so much we can actually do and having people be more panicked about worst-case outcomes only makes things tougher.

I'm in Tallahassee, FL. AFAIK there haven't been any confirmed cases in the city itself, but there are in neighboring cities and multiple cities throughout the state.

I'm well aware that in the worst case I will most likely be ok. I'm not in a risk category to worry about death and I can live on my VA funbucks if for whatever reason I'm incapacitated for a number of weeks. Most everyone else I know, though, cannot survive a dip in their paycheck. My friends in the service industry have already seen one.

I don't think our healthcare system will collapse. It will, however, be overwhelmed. I want to be optimistic about all of this, but I cannot minimize the real impact this is already having on people around the nation. Things are going to get significantly worse before anything gets better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also please post whatever you're hearing from researchers/hospitals around the nation. I know places are preparing. I hope we're able to handle what is coming. In a week or two, we'll find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1237095576019361803

Polls and not surprisingly those in the west, cities, and democratic leaning are more likely to be worried