Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I wonder if there's a list out there that lets you watch all of Star Trek in universe chronological order. And I wonder if i'm dumb enough to do it, even suffer through DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well good news, your criminal disrespect towards DS9 means you are forbidden from even watching it, because you don’t deserve to

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Well good news, your criminal disrespect towards DS9 means you are forbidden from even watching it, because you don’t deserve to

You're right, i've never done anything so terribly evil to deserve that fate.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

oh but seriously I posted:

gonna keep running the numbers until i get a result that looks right... just like the biological and psychological sciences #ya burnt

what a terrible post. anyway, DISCO is in the mix it just has not come up yet

VOY, Episode 7x07 "Body and Soul". never seen it but season 7 voyager with a horny tuvok sounds like a bad time 62% good

regrettable

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/startrek/st-episodes-1.html

Yup, someone did. No Disco on it but I still think it follows the spirit. And it has the movies in it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

picard geeking out over archaeology is real good

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

102 loving TMP 64% good

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

102 loving TMP 64% good

THIS SYMBOL OF TOTAL LOGIC

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

going to assume the rest of picardo maintains a ratio of 20% intrigue/80% bullshit 43% good i do not care that this is unfair they brought it on themselves

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

102 loving TMP 64% good

I think i'm going to skip TOS on my chronological viewing. This is a lot fuckin harder to get through than I remember. I'm not even halfway through the first season.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CainFortea posted:

I think i'm going to skip TOS on my chronological viewing. This is a lot fuckin harder to get through than I remember. I'm not even halfway through the first season.

watch the animated series

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Squizzle posted:

watch the animated series

That sounds worse in every measurable way.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CainFortea posted:

That sounds worse in every measurable way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB4NH5J19ow

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CainFortea posted:

mods? anyone??

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TOS is good. It's basically The Twilight Zone with recurring characters.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

TOS is good. It's basically The Twilight Zone with recurring characters.

I never thought about it like that, but it totally is.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea after the 4th time some woman leans against something and looks up into the light on her face and whistfully talks about love out of 10 episodes i'm done. Skipped to the movies.

The Motion Picture is still pretty drat bad, but I'd forgotten how the klingons were in this transitional phase from the barely changed TOS version and the death metal band version that is the one most people think of.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

the klingon theme from the motion picture is a banger

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CainFortea posted:

The Motion Picture is still pretty drat bad,

Explain how

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

Explain how

15 minutes of different cuts of the enterprise to orchestral music.

10 minutes of "cool effects" when going into v'ger and everyone's just standing around looking off into the distance.

The hot chick has to have a friggin "oath of celibacy" on file before starting her work for some reason.

Demoting the captain of the enterprise just so you can take over is very lovely and apparently the only person who cares is him.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

imagine not liking one of the two good star trek series

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CainFortea posted:

15 minutes of different cuts of the enterprise to orchestral music.

10 minutes of "cool effects" when going into v'ger and everyone's just standing around looking off into the distance.

The hot chick has to have a friggin "oath of celibacy" on file before starting her work for some reason.

Demoting the captain of the enterprise just so you can take over is very lovely and apparently the only person who cares is him.

This is all stuff that functionally contributes to the drama. The girl is celibate because it's a story about a crazy space robot losing its cosmic virginity, Kirk is feeling old and impotent and wants to prove that he can keep up with the young new ship (woman) and his arc is the realization that he is acting lovely. The 15 minutes is to firmly establish the scale of the enterprise and how v'ger latre dwarfs it, and the cool visuals are just far out, man. You're supposed to be dumbstruck by its unknowability. What use, words!

I do agree there are too many cuts back to sulu being amazed by the entity however. Loses some of its grandeur, but I mean they probably all had stipulations in their contract about how long they each must appear onscreen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The 10 to 15 minutes I saw of the 1st motion picture were unimaginably boring, so I went and did something else. I was probably also 15. I have never been back.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

This is all stuff that functionally contributes to the drama. The girl is celibate because it's a story about a crazy space robot losing its cosmic virginity, Kirk is feeling old and impotent and wants to prove that he can keep up with the young new ship (woman) and his arc is the realization that he is acting lovely. The 15 minutes is to firmly establish the scale of the enterprise and how v'ger latre dwarfs it, and the cool visuals are just far out, man. You're supposed to be dumbstruck by its unknowability. What use, words!

I do agree there are too many cuts back to sulu being amazed by the entity however. Loses some of its grandeur, but I mean they probably all had stipulations in their contract about how long they each must appear onscreen.

How is this movie a story about robot virgins? What does that have to do with Ilia? And the implication (that I don't feel is supported by the movie but i'll go with it) that Kirk later learns he's being lovely doesn't mean anything considering my complaint was that no one else on the entire ship seems to give a poo poo that Kirk is being a huge dick to the captain/commander.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CainFortea posted:

How is this movie a story about robot virgins? What does that have to do with Ilia? And the implication (that I don't feel is supported by the movie but i'll go with it) that Kirk later learns he's being lovely doesn't mean anything considering my complaint was that no one else on the entire ship seems to give a poo poo that Kirk is being a huge dick to the captain/commander.

The entire movie, V'ger (and Spock) are searching for greater meaning outside the confines of their logical understanding. After Spock returns from his trip, he emphasizes that V'ger is "barren" and cannot understand simple human connection, and holds Kirk's hand. Meanwhile, the probe V'ger sends on board the enterprise takes the form of Decker's Extremely Unrequited (celibate) Love Ilia, in a sexy bathrobe, and attempts to communicate with it are largely fruitless until Decker engages her on an emotional level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2B90xlDcp4

At the end of the movie, the V'ger probe flat out refuses to be communicated to with a simple numerical sequence and fries the wire. The lighting on the set becomes totally red. Its question, "is there nothing more," is answered by boyfriend decker in the form of him and Ilia/V'ger embracing and causing a visual representation of an orgasm. Spock, Kirk and Bones then explicitly state that they have witnessed the creation of a new life form, Bones jokes about "delivering a baby." Whole thing's a statement on the mystery of love and creation.

Also, Bones chews Kirk out to his face for being lovely to Decker.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Anyway, TOS is 100% good. Here is the evidence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoMxNutXRuk

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

The 10 to 15 minutes I saw of the 1st motion picture were unimaginably boring, so I went and did something else. I was probably also 15. I have never been back.

I too believe that my judgement and wisdom peaked when I was 15.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

The entire movie, V'ger (and Spock) are searching for greater meaning outside the confines of their logical understanding. After Spock returns from his trip, he emphasizes that V'ger is "barren" and cannot understand simple human connection, and holds Kirk's hand. Meanwhile, the probe V'ger sends on board the enterprise takes the form of Decker's Extremely Unrequited (celibate) Love Ilia, in a sexy bathrobe, and attempts to communicate with it are largely fruitless until Decker engages her on an emotional level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2B90xlDcp4

At the end of the movie, the V'ger probe flat out refuses to be communicated to with a simple numerical sequence and fries the wire. The lighting on the set becomes totally red. Its question, "is there nothing more," is answered by boyfriend decker in the form of him and Ilia/V'ger embracing and causing a visual representation of an orgasm. Spock, Kirk and Bones then explicitly state that they have witnessed the creation of a new life form, Bones jokes about "delivering a baby." Whole thing's a statement on the mystery of love and creation.

Also, Bones chews Kirk out to his face for being lovely to Decker.

I don't know what's worse, the idea that any kind of emotional connection has to be sexual in nature, or that orgasms look like silver confetti in a tornado booth.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CainFortea posted:

I don't know what's worse, the idea that any kind of emotional connection has to be sexual in nature, or that orgasms look like silver confetti in a tornado booth.

They made a baby

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

They made a baby

No they didn't.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CainFortea posted:

No they didn't.

Bones calls it a baby, it's not even subtext. Then he winks to the camera, and a couple naked baby cherubs fly in and shoot a love arrow at the screen. A heart shaped wipe closes the film.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What is a meta for anyway?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm here to meet active singles

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

is this statistically significant yet? seems decent but maybe a touch high even if you're just doing up through Enterprise and leaving out the current ones

so as far as I can tell, from our objective method judging 14 episodes (counting the motion picture as 1 episode), we currently have a 95% confidence interval of the entirety of Star Trek being between 39.4% and 89.2% good (estimate 64.3%)

we're a bit away from conclusive results quite yet

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Angepain posted:

so as far as I can tell, from our objective method judging 14 episodes (counting the motion picture as 1 episode), we currently have a 95% confidence interval of the entirety of Star Trek being between 39.4% and 89.2% good (estimate 64.3%)

we're a bit away from conclusive results quite yet

*looking rather exasperated* Thank you, Mr. Data.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FunkyAl posted:

It is boring as poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Started in on TNG, and I forgot how bad they were finding their way into their characters.

Geordi goes Yeehaw. Data says a contraction. Picard forgets he's not Captain Bligh.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Geordi at the helm on the bridge is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It is boring as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyndLFYWGok

Spock enters V'ger is cooler than hell. I saw 2001 in 70mm incidentally and it ups your experience of the film, so the same is probably true of this one. You were supposed to go out with your wife and kids, relatively, and the whole family was supposed to get drunk and eat steaks and go see this movie like that. And then your father weeps at the sight of the star trek enterprise in big motion and sound effects and sign you kids up for space force and 1978's stem middle school

The cinematography in early tng is better and more daring i think, than in the other seasons. I like the bugs.