Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

poverty goat posted:

The whole ecosystem of stupid arguments about masks is exhausting. In a perfect world, there would be enough of them for everyone, everyone would wear them correctly, and it would make a huge difference. Saying that they're ineffective is like saying condoms are ineffective, because neither of them gets you to 100%, but of course 40% or 60% or 90% effectiveness is a big improvement over zero. If you parrot the doublethink argument that people shouldn't wear them because they don't work and because doctors need them and that makes sense to you you are probably mentally ill.

No, your analogy is stupid. Condoms, on their own, are very effective against pregnancy and STDs. Condoms do not require anything besides "wear condom, discard after one use" to work.

Masks, on their own, worn by people who do not have medical training and lots of habit-forming practice in hygiene, are not particularly effective.

Also the main reason that doctors and nurses need them is less to keep the doctors from getting sick and more to keep a doctor who is sick from spreading the disease to others. Doctors come into contact with lots of people every day. A doctor or nurse who is feeling mildly ill may need to work regardless, because there aren't enough other medical workers. A doctor who doesn't have good hygine is incredibly effective at spreading disease. [cite: Joseph Lister, 1867]

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Number isn't doing so hot either. :ohdear:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Hadlock posted:

On a scale of COVID-19 to Wuhan Flu

Where does the name 1918 Spanish Flu fall? We named it that because it killed the king of Spain. Or is that not racist because spaniards are european.

Well, I mean.

Actually, the reason it came to be called the Spanish Flu at the time, and historically, is because Spain was the one country that wasn't censoring reporting in the media of the effects of the influenza epidemic sweeping across Europe, and, eventually, the world.

So people all over the world could turn to Spanish reporting about the flu for the only real news on it, at first...which made it look like it was the only country to have a serious epidemic there, and in some people's eyes, the logic train followed that it must have come from Spain, too.

So...because it was the one country that wasn't covering up the 1918 influenza outbreak.

By that logic, China is the one country on the planet that we absolutely CAN'T name this coronavirus after, right?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

The whole ecosystem of stupid arguments about masks is exhausting. In a perfect world, there would be enough of them for everyone, everyone would wear them correctly, and it would make a huge difference. Saying that they're ineffective is like saying condoms are ineffective, because neither of them gets you to 100%, but of course 40% or 60% or 90% effectiveness is a big improvement over zero. If you parrot the doublethink argument that people shouldn't wear them because they don't work and because doctors need them and that makes sense to you you are probably mentally ill.

:shrug: that makes perfect sense to me. if there were infinite masks, most people would still be wearing them incorrectly and giving themselves a false sense of security. given that there are limited masks and most people are not as smart and mindful as you and me (who may benefit and benefit others by wearing a mask), it makes perfect sense to argue that given the shortages only health care professionals should be able to obtain masks currently

even without masks people can still do the highly effective things - washing hands, not touching face, coughing and sneezing into the crook of their arm instead of other people's faces, etc

i had to go into the hospital today and i am absolutely 100% certain i didn't touch my face and washed my hands rigorously immediately upon arriving home; i know this because i've been practicing for a couple weeks now.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spinz posted:

:glomp:
Its not really the right kind of hug but ?
:sympathy: might be what you're looking for. We may be sad and scared but at least we are sad and scared together.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hopper posted:

But please a flight from Munich to London? Neither of these is a hotzone yet and if you keep distance from other people at the airport, wash your hands and keep aware that should be enough at this point.

I beg to differ at that.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/status/1237088877002792960

:pray:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

5th UK death and it's very close to me :ohdear:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Isn't Trump supposed to be a strong germophobe? :confused:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

If he gets it he's going to spin it as a dem plot and then hopefully inshallah he will cancel the election and crown himself forever emperor.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Roman Flu imo

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Guys! Great news! Just today Italy's patient 1 is starting to breathe all by himself!
That's good right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tafferling posted:

Guys! Great news! Just today Italy's patient 1 is starting to breathe all by himself!
That's good right?

Yeah only took 2 weeks!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Pistol_Pete posted:

So, the official position of the Uk government is: "Yeah, we're going to wait until things get real bad before we bring any measures in, 'cos :effort:".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/09/matt-hancock-under-fire-from-mps-over-uk-coronavirus-response

It was good knowing y'all :smith:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Tafferling posted:

That's good right?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I thought the empty pasta and toilet rolls shelves posts were just same photo circulating but literally 3 random markets I've been to while searching chorizos had empty pasta and toilet roll shelves.

London people freaking the gently caress out also I feel tired and slightly feverish so RIP.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
new person in the office making the rounds. When he got to my office, he put out his hand to shake mine and I reflexively looked down at it in disgust, as if he were offering me a rancid fish carcass

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All N95's are now under lock and key at my hospital, because of all the thefts.

People really will steal anything from a hospital. We had these etched glass art panels mounted on the wall. Inspirational messages and serene images, the type of thing you'd expect to see in a hospital. Heavy too, really nice thick glass. Those disappeared a week after being mounted on the wall. What would a thief even do with them? They had the hospitals name on them, so it's not like they could be reused somewhere else or sold.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Exciting, first positive patient at our hospital today. A few other positive patients in our network at the moment.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Shaocaholica posted:

Buying 1 or 2 masks for everyone in your household seems fine to me. Buying 100 masks for everyone is not.

If you're talking disposable masks, one or two would allow you to leave the house once or twice, so that would be fine if someone in the household is showing cold symptoms and absolutely needs to leave the house, but they're not really much use to people who need to travel on public transport daily or who are otherwise in close proximity to a large amount of people each day.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah only took 2 weeks!

The earliest reports were that people needed intensive care for 2-3 weeks while the virus ran its course. It's important that we're able to confirm or disprove that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Well, I mean.

Actually, the reason it came to be called the Spanish Flu at the time, and historically, is because Spain was the one country that wasn't censoring reporting in the media of the effects of the influenza epidemic sweeping across Europe, and, eventually, the world.

So people all over the world could turn to Spanish reporting about the flu for the only real news on it, at first...which made it look like it was the only country to have a serious epidemic there, and in some people's eyes, the logic train followed that it must have come from Spain, too.

So...because it was the one country that wasn't covering up the 1918 influenza outbreak.

By that logic, China is the one country on the planet that we absolutely CAN'T name this coronavirus after, right?

So is Chinese Flu or Wuhan Flu more racist, or based on your description above both are equally not racist? China covered up the roni in Nov/Dec but publicized it by end of January before anyone else

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

People really will steal anything from a hospital. We had these etched glass art panels mounted on the wall. Inspirational messages and serene images, the type of thing you'd expect to see in a hospital. Heavy too, really nice thick glass. Those disappeared a week after being mounted on the wall. What would a thief even do with them? They had the hospitals name on them, so it's not like they could be reused somewhere else or sold.

A few years ago someone stole a literal grand piano from the hospital I work at.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lolie posted:

The earliest reports were that people needed intensive care for 2-3 weeks while the virus ran its course. It's important that we're able to confirm or disprove that.

AFAIK this has held true for nearly all cases that needed to be in the hospital.

I'd be pretty confident in saying this is the case and will be the case moving forward.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The only way the average person's mask use could be at all similar to the average person's condom use would be if the average guy inverted the condom and slathered his load all over his face before going down on his lady and going in for round two, reusing the same condom.

Improper mask use is several orders of magnitude easier than improper condom use.

Sorry if I'm making GBS threads on anyone's fetish.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hadlock posted:

So is Chinese Flu or Wuhan Flu more racist, or based on your description above both are equally not racist? China covered up the roni in Nov/Dec but publicized it by end of January before anyone else

You don't call it by the name of the city where it first showed up, because the WHO decided in 2015 that it was a bad idea.

quote:

“In recent years, several new human infectious diseases have emerged. The use of names such as ‘swine flu’ and ‘Middle East Respiratory Syndrome’ has had unintended negative impacts by stigmatizing certain communities or economic sectors,” says Dr Keiji Fukuda, Assistant Director-General for Health Security, WHO. “This may seem like a trivial issue to some, but disease names really do matter to the people who are directly affected. We’ve seen certain disease names provoke a backlash against members of particular religious or ethnic communities, create unjustified barriers to travel, commerce and trade, and trigger needless slaughtering of food animals. This can have serious consequences for peoples’ lives and livelihoods.”

However, I find this bit hilarious:

quote:

Terms that should be avoided in disease names include geographic locations (e.g. Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, Spanish Flu, Rift Valley fever), people’s names (e.g. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Chagas disease), species of animal or food (e.g. swine flu, bird flu, monkey pox), cultural, population, industry or occupational references (e.g. legionnaires), and terms that incite undue fear (e.g. unknown, fatal, epidemic).

I wonder if "novel" is as bad as "unknown"?

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I'm supposed to fly down to Florida from Toronto on Friday for my dad's 70th birthday. I'm more worried about getting stuck down there if poo poo Gets More Real in the next week and they close the borders and/or cancel flights. If I'm gonna get the Roni, I'd rather do it in the sweet, sweet embrace of socialized health care.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You don't call it by the name of the city where it first showed up, because the WHO decided in 2015 that it was a bad idea.

However, I find this bit hilarious:

I wonder if "novel" is as bad as "unknown"?

Can we still call it Boomer Flu?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Griefor posted:

Approved.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bamabalacha posted:

I'm supposed to fly down to Florida from Toronto on Friday for my dad's 70th birthday. I'm more worried about getting stuck down there if poo poo Gets More Real in the next week and they close the borders and/or cancel flights. If I'm gonna get the Roni, I'd rather do it in the sweet, sweet embrace of socialized health care.

Well if you've got travel health insurance they will go through hell or high water to get you back to Canada instead of having to pay for your treatment in the US.

My grandfather got sick in Florida a few years ago and the insurance company paid for both a private medivac flight for him back to Canada, as well as paying to have an employee collect and ship all of his things back up instead of having surgery done in the US.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Griefor posted:

Bu flu

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco

Pistol_Pete posted:

So, the official position of the Uk government is: "Yeah, we're going to wait until things get real bad before we bring any measures in, 'cos :effort:".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/09/matt-hancock-under-fire-from-mps-over-uk-coronavirus-response

Specifically at that briefing they said if they take action too soon then people might get "fatigued" and it won't last through the peak of infections. Or that we could take action and stop it now, but the country would just get re-infected again later in the year, moving the peak of infections from summer to winter, loving the NHS even more. Maybe there's some merit to both of those points? The second one certainly sounds like they think the solution is to get everyone infected and be immune (and/or dead) by the end of summer.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

The CDC has put out an official warning, saying "Do Not Pursue Bu Flu!"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Boo Flu

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We have some enormous bat colonies here in Australia and I'm pretty sure that if some novel virus originated in them there'd be little pearl-clutching about it being referred to as Sydney flu or Darwin fever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The WHO refused to label this a pandemic specifically because of the bond market. They can get hosed and we'll name this particular outbreak what we collectively please.

Urban dictionary names it wu-flu so I guess thats good enough.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Hadlock posted:

I just wanted to make fun of China doing the exact opposite of Spain, back in the day, and the irony of Spain's openness getting it 'stuck' with the flu being named after it despite it having no real hand in actually originating or spreading the flu particularly, while China is spinning as hard as possible to avoid any blame.

No, of course there's no racism in naming the coronavirus after China, or Wuhan, or whatever. It's just an acknowledgement of reality that this is where it originated from and the names/places most strongly associated with it across the world. Though I can understand the WHO's desire (IN THEORY, OBVIOUS CHINA INFLUENCE ASIDE) to not have pandemics named after any region or nation, in an attempt to avoid ignorant negative repercussions being aimed at said region/nation for 'revenge' later on.

But let's be real here, this is a disease that came about because of internal Chinese societal practices, namely the wet markets and the eating of all lifeforms raising the odds of passing on diseases from animals to humans that might not otherwise, so I have little sympathy for their attempt to dodge the perceived bad PR of having the disease associated with Wuhan and/or China.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
is it really that hard to call it covid-19

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Talked to my boss, I'm being given 2 weeks off with part time pay. Which is better than I assumed, I figured I'd get nothing. My husband has also been told to stay home. So now we're starting week 2 of our 3 week vacation :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Now if we could stop giving Hurricanes human names, that'd be great as well.