Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I did a hard DZ and got two weapons with all 3 rolls either perfect or within 5% of perfect. That seems like the easiest way to get gear vs doing heroic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah DZ drop even post nerf is the best way to get gear. The loop of doing landmarks and extracting means you’re getting 8-10 items every few minutes as opposed to slogging it 20-30 minutes through a challenging mission for a couple of items.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I had a friendly pubbie give me a Pestilence and I'll second that it's extremely good. Going full red makes that DoT absolutely shred whatever it's on, even on challenging. It's actually strong enough that I'm considering building entirely around it. I don't think it's buffed by crit damage or anything right?

I'm thinking I could roll all weapon damage and focus solely on armor regen and headshot damage. Pestilence is pretty stable so it's easy to score headshots and your direct damage won't be total garbage, but the DoT is still the star. Use Gunner and armor on kill defense mods (depending on the slots available, not sure what I want for sets yet). Toss a decoy to start and get your DoT building, then all you have to do is pop up to refresh it. If you're taking too much damage you can duck down and regen super quick, boosted by the DoT ticking and killing poo poo which also heals you. I'm thinking you could use the stun pulse too so between that and decoy you'd have plenty of CC on short cooldowns, with your healing entirely based on passive regen and kills.

Now I have stuff to farm for!

Edit: I wonder if the DoT damage is a "snapshot" when it's applied or if it dynamically adjusts based on your weapon damage at the moment. If it's dynamic that'd make something like Vigilant extremely good.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 9, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Morter posted:

For all people saying the answer to beating content is to "just use exotics", what's the ideal difficulty/location to play the game and/or farm for them? Because clearly, no one can give advice that doesn't already assume you have All The Gear (but are just incorrectly using it). I imagine people in my position: who are playing a decent amount but are just getting no RNG luck, are sort of stuck playing Normal or struggling through Hard, where loot drops will intrinsically be shittier.

No one is saying that the solution is "just use exotics." Scroll up to the post I made with videos and you'll see a solid build that stomps on hard with ease that uses nothing more than yellows.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hakarne posted:

I don't think it's buffed by crit damage or anything right?

Yeah I think it’s only weapon damage. Status doesn’t seem to work either but I haven’t done much testing. Right now I’m building towards 3 Petrov (10% LMG, 10% handling, 20% ammo capacity), 2 Providence (10% headshot, 10% crit chance), 1 Ceska (10% crit chance). I had some really good rolled petrov named gloves.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I think it’s only weapon damage. Status doesn’t seem to work either but I haven’t done much testing. Right now I’m building towards 3 Petrov (10% LMG, 10% handling, 20% ammo capacity), 2 Providence (10% headshot, 10% crit chance), 1 Ceska (10% crit chance). I had some really good rolled petrov named gloves.

Yeah I forgot to say I tested the wicked talent (+dmg when you put a status effect on an enemy) and it didn't proc it. So I don't think the DoT is considered a status effect like burn, bleed etc.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I got the contractors gloves to drop for me and my LMG build last night but unfortunately it was a poo poo roll. But those gloves should help in shredding through armor.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So once I hit 40, should I look to ditch Marksman Rifles? It sounds like their per-shot damage and headshot multipliers at the moment don't make up for the effort compared to spraying and praying with an AR or LMG

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

So once I hit 40, should I look to ditch Marksman Rifles? It sounds like their per-shot damage and headshot multipliers at the moment don't make up for the effort compared to spraying and praying with an AR or LMG

I tried an ar crit build and its also lacking in challenging+ as well. Not enough sustain DPS. With LMG at least you have enough sustain DPS with the amount of ammo before reload to shred a non named yellow. I had to reload like 2-3 times with AR to shred a non named yellow. Not sure about marksman rifles but I do see people using them in challenging content so they must be good still with an all red crit build.

I saw the twitch streamers realize the sustain DPS early on but the problem for me was finding a good LMG, I was SHD lv30 before I found a NAGEV, sadly it was too late because of nerf. But I did find a really good MG5 and then last night I found Carnage which is a NAGEV but with perfect sadist, now im running with both of those equipped along with gunner extra 50 round sack of bullets. I just have to find a piece/talent that applies bleed.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 9, 2020

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Cyrano4747 posted:

No one is saying that the solution is "just use exotics." Scroll up to the post I made with videos and you'll see a solid build that stomps on hard with ease that uses nothing more than yellows.

It's totally doable but the devs being yo yo's is nothing new and why I just don't stress on new content. I'm just having fun starting from scratch playing at Lvl goober story mode stuff in my old backyard

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Is there some kind of tier list for guns (or gear/builds) or is it too early?
I'm terrible at making any decisions and need my hand held through the simplest of things

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Slightly torn on bashing my head against this on Challenging or higher at the moment because it's clearly in need of heavy rebalancing to play how it was meant to be played, and the slog is currently just not that fun. Folks on reddit and twitter are daring the devs to play it themselves on the next State of the Game while folks watch and I can't help but chuckle imagining them doing it.

Before the DLC, I was able to two-man heroic difficulty missions with my brother and had more than one extremely effective tech-based builds. After the DLC, I've started to feel like it's actually not that clear what is comparable to that now, or what to work towards. My most treasured item before was the BTSU gloves but those were nerfed and altered so thoroughly that they're basically worthless now. Honestly, I feel that way about all of the exotics at this point.

I might be in the minority here, but I think they actually made the gear slightly less fun to tinker with by simplifying everything so much. Tier 1-6 skill build stuff is just kind of lackluster. Why do mods even exist now?

Granted, I'm probably being salty because my former 4-piece hardwired and BTSU build was so loving fun.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://twitter.com/TheDivision2Hub/status/1237076913702801408

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

I saw that earlier and, typos aside, it needs to be organized by function rather than alphabetically and should include core attributes and mod slots. If you're trying to make a skill build then it's tedious to go through alphabetically. You might also be disappointed to find out that Hana-U pieces are skill oriented but come with defensive mod slots instead of utility mod slots.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
i too am mad that i cannot solo the game on the hardest difficulty, it must be broken

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

H2SO4 posted:

i too am mad that i cannot solo the game on the hardest difficulty, it must be broken

I mean the game has different scaling for solo and multiplayer but sure let’s keep saying this.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The expansion has been out for 6 days. There is no reason I shouldn’t have god rolls on everything and be able to solo legendary by now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Mods are fairly useless now.
I have a level 30 mod that is somehow better than the mod that I spent 3 specialization points on.

Not sure if thats somehow broken and not supposed to be better or not.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

OgNar posted:

Mods are fairly useless now.
I have a level 30 mod that is somehow better than the mod that I spent 3 specialization points on.
Not sure if thats somehow broken and not supposed to be better or not.
that's not really anything new unfortunately

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

H2SO4 posted:

That really wasn't what I was saying at all but okay I guess.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Solo heroic is easier than 4 player challenging

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Solo CP4 is easier than 4 player CP4 so yeah balancing is totally fine :ironicat:

This is coming from someone that soloed Falcon Lost heroic with a tactician build on Div1. It only took an hour and a half of patience and skill switching to place the charges and not getting killed in the process.

Is not like the content is impossible, the problem is that is tedious and uninteresting to unload a thousand rounds on a single enemy instead of balancing with waves, enemy types and some other ways.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 9, 2020

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

jabro posted:

The expansion has been out for 6 days. There is no reason I shouldn’t have god rolls on everything and be able to solo legendary by now.

The people farming the broken DZ first week, and even now have pretty much all god rolls by now, or close to it and 100s of SHD levels to boot. Loot drops like candy there and levels flow like water. Another thing thats massively unbalanced in this game vs people that bash their heads vs harder PvE mission type content that takes at least 30-45 min if not longer depending on group, 5 drops at most, and you need like 2 missions to level.

But thats besides the point really. Let people play the way they want to play. If they want to solo poo poo on challenging+ mode, let them. If they want to do those CP3 and CP4 solo like they have been doing all along from WT 1-WT5 Why take that away from them? How is that hurting other players? They have the raid, and im sure they will have more raids in the future for super duper coordinated, must have best gear in slot type gameplay too. And PvP of course is its own thing with totally different metas and gameplay which does not even factor into PvE type poo poo anyway.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Even post nerf, DZ drops are really good. I got better assault rifles in the DZ than I did in the LZ for half the time. You also gain a level basically every time you extract so you'll be swimming in SHD points if you can get a 4 man group to DZ with. Couple that with how DZ NPCs die in a fraction of the time that LZ NPCs do, even if they have the same difficulty, it's a joke. I ran the DZ yesterday with 2 people with highly unoptimized builds who were freshly level 40 with no issues. If we tried to do any missions it would have been a shitshow even with the other 2 of us having SHD levels in the 30s and 40s and much better gear.

Also the developers have been super cagey about the control points not being able to be reset. They advertised the hell out of being able to manually reset them with the global difficulty options, but we can't do that, and the AI no longer recaptures them on their own, so what was once one of the most lucrative ways to gain gear in PVE is just taken away.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 9, 2020

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Also, I dont know why they ever removed gear score from items. And overall gear score from the player. It was an overall number that let you and other people know you were ready for xx content. It would cme to be even more useful now when people can just switch difficulty on the fly. Before there was hard gear checks in the missions they had you do to progress world tiers. Now you dont know if you are ready for it other than trying it out.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Peechka posted:

Also, I dont know why they ever removed gear score from items. And overall gear score from the player. It was an overall number that let you and other people know you were ready for xx content. It would cme to be even more useful now when people can just switch difficulty on the fly. Before there was hard gear checks in the missions they had you do to progress world tiers. Now you dont know if you are ready for it other than trying it out.

Because it didn't work. Being GS anything didn't mean poo poo if you didn't have the right talents and gear synergies.

GS was dumb and I'm glad it's gone as it did nothing but annoy people when they got amazing gear that was short 3 points of GS cap despite being better than anything they had.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

FileNotFound posted:

Because it didn't work. Being GS anything didn't mean poo poo if you didn't have the right talents and gear synergies.

GS was dumb and I'm glad it's gone as it did nothing but annoy people when they got amazing gear that was short 3 points of GS cap despite being better than anything they had.

True to a point, but now its even a more confusing mess. People using SHD levels as a measure, when in reality those dont mean poo poo.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Peechka posted:

True to a point, but now its even a more confusing mess. People using SHD levels as a measure, when in reality those dont mean poo poo.

Right but at least your SHD level only goes up - it was infuriating to have your GS go down when you equipped better gear for your build that had a lower score.

This game has no clear indication of build power nor do other looters - it's not really something easy to show on a char screen.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Those extra 10,000 e-creds every 5 levels really make the difference.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OgNar posted:

Those extra 10,000 e-creds every 5 levels really make the difference.

E creds in this game feel much harder to come by than they did in D1, where I’d have them coming out my rear end. I kind of miss being able to casually buy a dozen guns to break down for parts.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

FileNotFound posted:

Right but at least your SHD level only goes up - it was infuriating to have your GS go down when you equipped better gear for your build that had a lower score.

This game has no clear indication of build power nor do other looters - it's not really something easy to show on a char screen.

I get that, but they could do some type of gear score system based of compiling the different percentages on gear/guns, right? Or better yet have missions in place to advance to the next difficulty level, basically a hard check on gear and synergy of your build. If you can beat this mission or set of missions, whatever, you get to advance to hard, challenging, etc...

Because right now I see people that have no place in challenging (based on SHD levels) expecting to be pulled through when in reality its not fair to those doing the pulling. I cant tell you how many times I saw SHD level 2, 5, 7 people doing challenging missions last night. If youre SHD level 5 that just tells me you didnt spend enough time in hard mode gearing up first or at all.

So this is fine to judge people going from normal to challenging, right? But what is the appropriate SHD level going from challenging to mythic? Is it SHD 50? Is it SHD 100? Maybe you got lucky with RNG?

Basically its a loving mess...

Like you see end game results and people doing measly 200-300mil dmg in challenging difficulty while others are pulling 800 million or 1.3 billion or some poo poo. So what was the dude contributing?

Peechka fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 9, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know if it's a bug, but there is a way to see GS, or at least what the game thinks is your GS. I'm at 915.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Peechka posted:

I get that, but they could do some type of gear score system based of compiling the different percentages on gear/guns, right? Or better yet have missions in place to advance to the next difficulty level, basically a hard check on gear and synergy of your build. If you can beat this mission or set of missions, whatever, you get to advance to hard, challenging, etc...

Because right now I see people that have no place in challenging (based on SHD levels) expecting to be pulled through when in reality its not fair to those doing the pulling. I cant tell you how many times I saw SHD level 2, 5, 7 people doing challenging missions last night. If youre SHD level 5 that just tells me you didnt spend enough time in hard mode gearing up first or at all.

So this is fine to judge people going from normal to challenging, right? But what is the appropriate SHD level going from challenging to mythic? Is it SHD 50? Is it SHD 100? Maybe you got lucky with RNG?

Basically its a loving mess...

Like you see end game results and people doing measly 200-300mil dmg in challenging difficulty while others are pulling 800 million or 1.3 billion or some poo poo. So what was the dude contributing?

I think your actual issue is that you are gatekeeping the higher difficulties of a game with a broken scaling system and balance issues - but you do you....

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

FileNotFound posted:

I think your actual issue is that you are gatekeeping the higher difficulties of a game with a broken scaling system and balance issues - but you do you....

So just because its broken and has balance issues does not mean there needs to be a check in place? So you dont mind that noob that just hit 40 and found some new AR with his lmg focused build that he thinks is godly to come into your Mythic matchmaking?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Peechka posted:

So just because its broken and has balance issues does not mean there needs to be a check in place? So you dont mind that noob that just hit 40 and found some new AR with his lmg focused build that he thinks is godly to come into your Mythic matchmaking?

Legitimately couldn't possibly care less.

If you give that many fucks and expect other sweat lords, premake your group.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

FileNotFound posted:

Legitimately couldn't possibly care less.

If you give that many fucks and expect other sweat lords, premake your group.

I guess youre not understanding me at all. Again I want some type of numeric value or hard check for people to gauge their power level, I could care less either. Those noobs were in my party and we still did it although it probably took longer than it should of. I have no animosity. LOL

Essentially I want to know without wasting my time or anyone else's to see if im ready to go from hard to challenge, or challenge to mythic.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Game also seems less stable now in general. It used to run very smoothly for me like 90% of the time. Last night we tried to grind out Bank Headquarters on challenging invaded and the last battle took over an hour while we fudged survival against all the spongey stuff only to have it Delta-03 error our whole party out of the game abruptly.

Today I've had two hard-crashes to the dashboard.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You can directly inspect people's builds so there's no real reason to just go "Oh they have a high GS/SHD level/whatever they must know what they are doing."

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Peechka posted:

I guess youre not understanding me at all. Again I want some type of numeric value or hard check for people to gauge their power level, I could care less either. Those noobs were in my party and we still did it although it probably took longer than it should of. I have no animosity. LOL

Essentially I want to know without wasting my time or anyone else's to see if im ready to go from hard to challenge, or challenge to mythic.

But by your own example you know you can't easily do that - because like you said a guy with a fantastic LMG focused gear set using an AR isn't going to pull their weight.

Really a logical system would be to require a certain number of mission completions at lower difficulties - but that would just make it more tedious and would not account for people gearing up in DZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like Challenging difficultly where it is at the moment, 1 or 4 people, but there are some problems with specific enemy types that need addressing. Most of them in NYC.