Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

In France they called it the super Royale with games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Dip Viscous posted:

This is going to sound crazy, but is there a way to make Doom/Doom II run at 35 fps like it did before the last patch? I'm so used to playing it at 35 fps that 60 makes me feel like I'm watching a TV with one of those dumb smoothing effects going.

That is exactly what they did to make it 60fps, so your feelings are spot on. It is still 35 internally.

Sorry, don't know how/if you can disable it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Maybe we'll get a surprise update on Tuesday? (MAR1O DAY)

This and a Mario 3D World port, please.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fly Ricky posted:

Even though I kind of think Parish is a bit of a pretentious dick that doesn't know as much as he thinks he does (especially on Retronauts),
Really? Both Jeremy and Bob discuss fairly candidly about their knowledge gaps and are also self-aware that they occasionally relay bad information and will get chewed up in the comments. Sure they have their opinions, but I don't feel they're aggressive or pretentious in the way that some others (including, sometimes, their guests) are.

As RB mentioned, Bob is (or was) a front-page contributor and Jeremy posts in the Retro thread from time-to-time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

e: whoops

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bob and Jeremy are both great although I'm disappointed to see 5 minute preview shows pop into my feed serving as patreon advertisements.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I liked them until they started inserting automated geolocated ads into the podcast, and now Retronauts can get hosed.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

pyrotek posted:

This and a Mario 3D World port, please.

I'm re-playing through it now to 100% it with all characters. It's criminal that of all the Wii U ports, they never ported this. It's easily one of the best Mario games ever made.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I liked them until they started inserting automated geolocated ads into the podcast, and now Retronauts can get hosed.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Bob and Jeremy are both great although I'm disappointed to see 5 minute preview shows pop into my feed serving as patreon advertisements.

Pay for things you like.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait how does that even with? The ads are based on the server you download from based on location?

I've never heard any cause I joined the Patreon before I ever even subscribed, based off the YouTube nes/Gameboy videos

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

Those are long gone.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait how does that even with? The ads are based on the server you download from based on location?

Podcast apps like Google Play and iTunes are basically just fancy RSS readers. Those services don't actually host the files, they just play them back from a URL. For networks that do this kind of dynamic ad insertion, the server you stream the podcast from inserts ads into the audio stream at the right places. At that point it's trivial to do geolocation based on the user's IP address.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ColdPie posted:

Podcast apps like Google Play and iTunes are basically just fancy RSS readers. Those services don't actually host the files, they just play them back from a URL. For networks that do this kind of dynamic ad insertion, the server you stream the podcast from inserts ads into the audio stream at the right places. At that point it's trivial to do geolocation based on the user's IP address.

Who the gently caress would use Google play or itunes?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I used Podbean and got Geo ads

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

it's not just that, any podcatcher (or even just playing the file in a web browser) has to download the mp3 from somewhere.

that somewhere sees where you're downloading from and dynamically inserts ads for each download, whether you are streaming it or downloading it to listen later

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I use Pocketcasts but I think all the I ones I subscribe to are either on their own independent network that handles advertising internally(maxfun), Patreon based, or so small they couldn't sell ads if they wanted to.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Cant they also easily get your location via your IP or GPS or WiFi networks in proximity or like a bajillion other ways? Guys this stuff is super developed at this point lmao every thing you own is constantly reporting all your poo poo to all the companies and has been doing so for years

Try to keep up - Sonic the hedgehog

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sensible people.

I, of course, only use the finest Open Sores podcatchers*, installed locally on my home server** for the finest downloading experience***.

*I've found two that are any good
**$20 desktop from a school surplus sale
***"Finest"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

About 80% of the population.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

KingSlime posted:

Cant they also easily get your location via your IP or GPS or WiFi networks in proximity or like a bajillion other ways? Guys this stuff is super developed at this point lmao every thing you own is constantly reporting all your poo poo to all the companies and has been doing so for years

Try to keep up - Sonic the hedgehog

the podcatchers don't report any of that back, they just get the http/s requests so they go by IP. but yeah if targeted advertising is technically possible it will happen

more on topic, who all is trying to get an animal crossing switch that didn't preorder it? this guy is dumb and didn't hop on that during the first hour or whatever of availability.

i'm thinking my best bet is to wait at a Target for them to open on friday?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Pay for things you like.

They already have ad reads (which don't bother me), how much is enough

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 9, 2020

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

parasyte posted:

the podcatchers don't report any of that back, they just get the http/s requests so they go by IP. but yeah if targeted advertising is technically possible it will happen

more on topic, who all is trying to get an animal crossing switch that didn't preorder it? this guy is dumb and didn't hop on that during the first hour or whatever of availability.

i'm thinking my best bet is to wait at a Target for them to open on friday?

So far I've only heard that Gamestop will have a few available on release day. So your best bet may be to try them when the store opens that day.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

They already have ad reads (which don't bother me), how much is enough
The ads didn't pay very much and I think they got rid of them. You can pay whatever you want, but for the Retronauts Patreon $3/mo is the early access tier, and $5/mo is the exclusive episode tier. Or you don't have to pay, that's also fine.

I don't think anyone is trying to make a specific moral argument for why you should pay, or whatever. As far as I know Bob is living exclusively off podcasts/Patreon now. He's not rich, but it's enough that he doesn't feel obligated to spend time freelancing to make ends meet. Jeremy recently took a full-time gig at Limited Run Games, and while that's an exceptionally good fit for him, the Retronauts/YouTube he was doing before wasn't enough on its own as he was regularly freelancing.

Otherwise the more Retronauts makes through Patreon the more content they can offer. So if you like their content, it makes sense to pay for more. It's not supposed to be complicated.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When I listen to Retronauts it's just an mp3 that I download from their site, and I've never heard any ads. :confused:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Mario rabbids is $15 at bestbuy right now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/1237097095590334464

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think I’m even more excited for the Doom 64 port than Eternal

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

When I listen to Retronauts it's just an mp3 that I download from their site, and I've never heard any ads. :confused:

I use pocketcssts. The last bunch had inserted ads specific to my city. The only podcast I've ever seen do that, and I have a good two dozen subs or more.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gonna have, what, six Dooms on this thing by the end of the month

At least something in this hell-world is all right.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1237118761460625409

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

... no way. :stare:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mother3 a gamestop exclusive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress, did NOT see that coming.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Still gonna go out of business in 5-10 years. Maybe sooner.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Just a reminder that preorders of DOOM Eternal includes a free copy of DOOM 64.

Unfortunately with the delay of the Switch version of DOOM Eternal you may want to purchase DOOM 64 anyways.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

man nurse posted:

:same:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CumBros comes out tomorrow!!!

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1237041095432982528?s=19

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

quote:

Solo or with your bros

:thumbsup:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up Slay the Spire digital cheap from Best Buy with a few expiring Best Buy bucks. I swear if goons led me astray...

I didn’t see anything on Beforeiplay.com for Slay the Spire. Anything I should know before going in blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

man nurse posted:

Same. I’ll preorder Eternal just to get 64 for free.