Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

quote:

More than 300 complaints that rapper Dave's performance at the Brit Awards was racist against white people have been rejected by the UK media watchdog.

lol get rekt gammons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ripaly

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Italy is extending the lockdown to the entire country now.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I was supposed to have a (routine) hospital appointment today, but this morning it was changed to a phone appointment.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jel Shaker posted:

If you’re really in pain you can go over the recommended brufen dose of three times a day (not the paracetamol though , ever)

Yes, seriously do not ever overdose on paracetamol. Damage is irreversible.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I bought some in Boots last year, I still have some in the fridge. It's only very recently they seem to have stopped making it, which is piss because it's far better than immodium or anything else for stomach upsets.

Does have all the old-fashioned ingredients in it though?

"Tinctura Chloroformi et Morphinæ Composita intended to be an imitation of the proprietary medicine called chlorodyne. Mix chloroform 75, tincture of capsicum 25, tincture of Indian hemp 100, oil of peppermint 2 and glycerin 250 with alcohol (20 per cent) 450. Dissolve morphine hydrochloride 10 in the mixture. Add to it diluted hydrocyanic acid 50 and enough alcohol (90 per cent) to make 1000. Strength. 1 millilitre contains chloroform 7.5 centimils; morphine hydrochloride 1 centigram; acidum hydrocyanicum dilutum 5 centimils.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol that our plan is still literally, "we'll just wait until the horse has bolted and then see how we feel about closing the door"

they're still talking about making sure "the most drastic measures are implemented at the critical times" or whatever like somehow it will be less economically damaging or more likely to contain the spread of the disease if we wait until it's nice and established before doing anything about it

loving arseholes are going to kill a whole bunch of people for no reason

also I found some 30(!)/500 cocodamol from when I shattered my elbow, and to be honest it's still not great. hopefully it's better in the morning (also hopefully out of date codeine won't kill me, but it's a bit late for that now)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Holy poo poo they shut down all of Italy

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
At least we have a new smiley in these difficult times :crnasickos:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"Tinctura Chloroformi et Morphinæ Composita intended to be an imitation of the proprietary medicine called chlorodyne. Mix chloroform 75, tincture of capsicum 25, tincture of Indian hemp 100, oil of peppermint 2 and glycerin 250 with alcohol (20 per cent) 450. Dissolve morphine hydrochloride 10 in the mixture. Add to it diluted hydrocyanic acid 50 and enough alcohol (90 per cent) to make 1000. Strength. 1 millilitre contains chloroform 7.5 centimils; morphine hydrochloride 1 centigram; acidum hydrocyanicum dilutum 5 centimils.

love to add cyanide to my medicine

I looked it up and the BP dilute hydrocyanic acid is apparently 2% HCN, so I guess it's only 0.1% in the finished thing but that still doesn't sound like a fantastic idea

is there any semi-legit medical reason or is it pure quackery?

e: should have read the rest of the source

quote:

It is used in therapeutics on account of its depressing effect on sensory nerve-endings. Thus, dilute solutions (about 1 in 20) may be applied to the skin to relieve irritation and itching in such conditions as lichen and urticaria. Taken internally its action exerted on the stomach is especially useful in gastrodynia, the vomiting of pregnancy, and other forms of vomiting. Of more doubtful value is its employment internally in the treatment of cough; used as an inhalation, ½ to 1 mil (8 to 15 minims) of the acid in six times its volume of cold water, it may allay dry useless cough, such as the dry hacking cough of phthisis and whooping cough.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 9, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

update

https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/123...ingawful.com%2F

THIS
IS
THE ONE THING
WE DIDN'T WANT
TO HAPPEN

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Just going to self quarantine down the pub

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

bessantj posted:

Blind man with guide dog punched by van driver

Stuff like this really pisses me off, we are so poo poo with disability in this country.

How rage-filled do you have to be to (i) attack somebody because they asked you to move your van, (ii) attack an elderly man or (iii) attack a loving blind person with a guide dog?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

lol get rekt gammons
:sickos:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's not had cannabis tincture (or cyanide) in it since the 30s, no. The morphine is the key bit for stopping the shits and stomach pain though, and I'll be sad if they've stopped making it. It's worse than the ChestEze debacle.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

baka kaba posted:

THIS
IS
THE ONE THING
WE DIDN'T WANT
TO HAPPEN

Speak for yourself

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

:sickos:

It's not had cannabis tincture (or cyanide) in it since the 30s, no. The morphine is the key bit for stopping the shits and stomach pain though, and I'll be sad if they've stopped making it. It's worse than the ChestEze debacle.

That's why I suggested very old ladies as a potential source :D

Original formula DoDo pills (Chesteze) were brilliant for weight loss. I remember I felt hungry but my brain sort of dissociated feelings of hunger from feeling a need to eat.
It was the ephedrine hydrochloride that was the key ingredient.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
8/500 isn't the strongest pain medicine you can find at the chemist. You can get 12.8/500 Codeine/paracetamol OTC it's called Solpadeine MAX. I've never had a particular issue getting it but it's usually kept locked behind the counter and they might ask you some questions.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

XMNN posted:

lol that our plan is still literally, "we'll just wait until the horse has bolted and then see how we feel about closing the door"

they're still talking about making sure "the most drastic measures are implemented at the critical times" or whatever like somehow it will be less economically damaging or more likely to contain the spread of the disease if we wait until it's nice and established before doing anything about it

also I found some 30(!)/500 cocodamol from when I shattered my elbow, and to be honest it's still not great. hopefully it's better in the morning (also hopefully out of date codeine won't kill me, but it's a bit late for that now)

Out of date codeine will just be a bit less effective, if anything. I take out of date drugs all the time (I work in pharmacy)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Original formula DoDo pills (Chesteze) were brilliant for weight loss. I remember I felt hungry but my brain sort of dissociated feelings of hunger from feeling a need to eat.
It was the ephedrine hydrochloride that was the key ingredient.
They also put theophylline in it, which while good for respiration has a narrow therapeutic dose and can cause seizures and heart attacks if you OD, which was bad news for two marines who decided to take a pack each for the performance enhancing effects of the ephedrine and ended up dead or in a coma, even though there was a massive black box warning on the back saying "this is not a normal 'be careful' dose warning you will loving die".

So that's probably why it got pulled. Why they couldn't make an ephedrine/guaifenesin version instead I don't know, because it really was great for chest colds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I take out of date drugs all the time (I work in pharmacy)

The specific phrasing here raises questions :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

The specific phrasing here raises questions :v:

Don't ask me and I'll tell you no lies :D

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

The two balls should have different medical names, I propose levicle and dexticle.

Dextricle and sinistericle.

The canteen at work has segregated us so different bits of the building have to eat at different times. Just hurry up and tell me I can work from home goddammit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

Dextricle and sinistericle.
In honor of the great sex doctor Magnus Hirschfeld and for German being the one and correct language of org chem, linkestikel and rechtstikel.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1236524560507441152

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Haha.

Wait, that's not the onion icon.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Deffo a good look

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Waiting for the “I was doing research for my book” defence

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
SNP are stepping up their Coronavirus response task force

https://i.imgur.com/V8QWtfq.mp4

(Shamelessly stolen from the Corona thread)

Been hearing quite a lot about empty shelves in London supermarkets from people who live there. Out just past the M25, four fully stocked supermarkets with nary a bare shelf to be seen.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I saw a guy on a unicycle going up the A57 towards the snake pass last weekend

mental

e: he did not look particularly stable, but I suspect they never do

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hadley freeman goes on and on about how trans women are predators all the time

https://twitter.com/MartinPengelly/status/1237104170181832706

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Screenshot of that EU4 decision where the royal family can choose to respond to a plague by fleeing the capital and leaving the peasants to die.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

RockyB posted:

Been hearing quite a lot about empty shelves in London supermarkets from people who live there. Out just past the M25, four fully stocked supermarkets with nary a bare shelf to be seen.

My local shops have been fairly well stocked which surprised me. But all that says is I was the first panic shopper. We now have a tidy pile of tinned fruit, tinned fish, potatoes etc. All to add to my existing brexit stockpile, I'm feeling pretty well prepared just in case things go mega-south

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was cooking a recipe earlier and it called for 500g of fillet steak, so I went to the butcher nearby (which is weirdly in a petrol station) and asked for 500g of fillet steak and went to pay for it and it was 27 loving quid, and because I hadn't checked the price I only found out at the till and there was a queue behind me and I couldn't face asking to take it back to the butcher section because it was too expensive, so I kept my expression neutral and pretended like it was perfectly normal for me to spend 27 smackers on a relatively small piece of beef.

So now I'm cross with the stupid simplycook people for having a recipe that calls for nearly 30 quid of meat, cross with myself for not knowing that fillet steak is the most expensive cut, and cross that the beef stroganoff I cooked with it, while nice, wasn't 30 quid nice by a long loving shot.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Those with flu or cold could be asked to self-isolate, UK government says posted:

People with symptoms as minor as coughs and colds could be asked to self-isolate within the next two weeks, the government warned on Monday, as Boris Johnson defended the government’s handling of the coronavirus crisis.

Speaking at a press conference with the prime minister, Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, said that the step would be necessary in a new phase where “we will be having to ask members of the general public to do different things than they would normally do”.

Whitty said that would mean “a situation where we say everybody who has even minor respiratory tract infections or a fever should be self-isolating for seven days afterwards”.

The new measures were set out as Boris Johnson called for a “national effort” to tackle the virus, insisting that the experts “know how to defeat it”. He said the government was making extensive preparations to move to the “delay” phase of dealing with it – but meanwhile the best advice was still simply for people to wash their hands.

Downing Street’s approach to the outbreak has come under increasing scrutiny, as other countries including Italy and Ireland have taken more draconian measures, such as shutting schools and cancelling public events.

fuckin love this poo poo

well we might start asking people to do something at some point, but let's leave it for a bit because hey maybe it will all blow over soon

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

hadley freeman goes on and on about how trans women are predators all the time

https://twitter.com/MartinPengelly/status/1237104170181832706

Woody Allen can't be guilty as he never admitted it writing :qq:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

I was cooking a recipe earlier and it called for 500g of fillet steak, so I went to the butcher nearby (which is weirdly in a petrol station) and asked for 500g of fillet steak and went to pay for it and it was 27 loving quid, and because I hadn't checked the price I only found out at the till and there was a queue behind me and I couldn't face asking to take it back to the butcher section because it was too expensive, so I kept my expression neutral and pretended like it was perfectly normal for me to spend 27 smackers on a relatively small piece of beef.

So now I'm cross with the stupid simplycook people for having a recipe that calls for nearly 30 quid of meat, cross with myself for not knowing that fillet steak is the most expensive cut, and cross that the beef stroganoff I cooked with it, while nice, wasn't 30 quid nice by a long loving shot.

Why the gently caress are you/they making stroganoff with loving filet steak :psyduck:

It's covered in sauce, you can slow cook some stewing steak or whatever and dump the sauce all over it.

Even if you were going to do it with actual steak you could use rump or something jesus...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 9, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

Plus ca change.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Suck it, chocolate orangailures

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Why the gently caress are you/they making stroganoff with loving filet steak :psyduck:

It's covered in sauce, you can slow cook some stewing steak or whatever and dump the sauce all over it.

Yeah, it's loving stupid and I am stupid :( I cooked a small slice of it by itself just to see what all the fuss was about, and yeah, it's tender, but there's no fat on it so it's got nowhere near as much flavour as a nice bit of sirloin or ribeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, it's loving stupid and I am stupid :( I cooked a small slice of it by itself just to see what all the fuss was about, and yeah, it's tender, but there's no fat on it so it's got nowhere near as much flavour as a nice bit of sirloin or ribeye.

Congrats on your good steak taste at least, yeah filet is a waste of money IMO. I never bother with anything other than rump steak, even sirloin is... dubiously worthwhile imo. Filet seems to be mostly for people who can't cook and try to cremate everything. And yeah, no fat, so you can't do a nice batch of mushrooms or whatever with it.

Whoever wrote that recipe wants shooting, imo.