Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

LITERALLY A BIRD has gotten back to me.

Gang tag roll outs will begin shortly once he has some spare time.

Yay! Looking forward to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm super late to the party but I want in on this raccoon goon train.
"racgoon", please

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is Raccoon Goon an option though?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is Raccoon Goon an option though?

It is truly a missed opportunity.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gonna make myself nook inc.'s pet

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

Current list of RACCOON GOONS, if I've missed anyone then emptyquote the entire thing in anger

Please make me a Raccoon Goon. I've never had a gang tag before! :3:

Maybe it'll help me decide between Oswald's Theme and the Pimento University song for my town jingle.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

jackhunter64 posted:

Current list of RACCOON GOONS, if I've missed anyone then emptyquote the entire thing in anger

161 people are going to have this absolute perfection beside their names. We have two Captains and three Doctors as well

This is the name of a road near where I grew up.

Does this qualify me to join the Raccoon Goons?

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
I just turned on New Leaf and to get hyped for the 20th and instead I just feel really bad cos all my villagers were sad because the mayor abandoned them for 3 years. I'm sorry Phoebe & Fuchsia.:ohdear::ohdear:

(Vic and Snake though, ehhhh whatevs)

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

RACCOON GOONS list updated again. I have eleven days to figure out how to translate 'Tobe, Gundam!' into town tune form and I'm strongly considering calling my island 'Doan'.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Nemo2342 posted:

I assume that titles are going to be one of the things you get from clearing daily challenges. Which means it's probably gonna be like Monster Hunter where you end up with hundreds of different words to use in your title

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

I assume that titles are going to be one of the things you get from clearing daily challenges. Which means it's probably gonna be like Monster Hunter where you end up with hundreds of different words to use in your title

That's an excellent point, from the videos we saw a lot of the Nook Miles tasks did have title keywords:

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/1237113428059099136?s=19
I don't think NYC Nintendo store is having a midnight release event party. I'm assuming you have to come early and line up a few hours before doors open up on the 20th at 11am.
A better idea than just packing nerds into a pen and into a crowded store during a corona outbreak?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/Cloesy/status/1236709548116848641

VideoGames also responded to me and said he's on it too. Maybe we'll all get double gang tags?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nemo2342 posted:

We can only dream of a system like MGSV where you just constantly build the usable word bank the more you progress through the game, then you might truly become a Racoon Goon.
That said, maybe that's the direction I should go for my island name 🤔

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Put me on the Raccoon Goon list too :3:

Can’t wait for this game lol

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

a racoon irl

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Whew, only ten days until I can escape reality for 15 minutes each day and indulge in consequence free crafting and consumerism.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Sorry if it’s been covered but are we gonna have the same system where villagers will show up at random and then if someone you don’t like joins you have to ignore/hit them with a bug net until they leave?? (I’m a jerk I know)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nemo2342 posted:

That's an excellent point, from the videos we saw a lot of the Nook Miles tasks did have title keywords:

For some reason I really like the running tanuki in the Nook Miles app. It’s just really cute to me.

Probably because it’s fat, like real tanukis.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

POCKET GRANDMA

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, I can't find the footage that showed it right now but it roughly looked like this.

Just had the map on the side (Residents/Animals) and seeing it listed like that made it look like there was only room for 4 villagers after that which would be... not great.

The first game had 15 animal residents + a random animal will sometimes camp in your town

With 380+ animals it'd be stupid to stick with 10 max like all the games after the first

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Still juggling island names, I'm hoping we can choose a "Island of" format because I have a few good options like Island of Dr. Moreau or Island of Stability. Maybe even Islet of Langerhans?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Modest Mao posted:

The first game had 15 animal residents + a random animal will sometimes camp in your town

With 380+ animals it'd be stupid to stick with 10 max like all the games after the first

yeah this plus the island size being about equal to new leaf's town size is disappointing

everything else looks amazing though so v:shobon:v

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wasn't New Leaf bigger than Gamecube? Or did not having to fuss with the locked-screen stuff just make it feel bigger?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Khanstant posted:

Wasn't New Leaf bigger than Gamecube? Or did not having to fuss with the locked-screen stuff just make it feel bigger?

It was smaller overall but the shopping center meant you had fewer buildings that needed space in the town proper which probably helped make it feel bigger.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Original animal crossing had 7680 squares, New Horizons is 10,752 if you can fill in the beach to the edge of each acre.. makes it twice as big as city folk

Each acre is 16*16 squares, Gamecube had 5*6, City Folk 5*5 and NH 7*6

edit: at the very least, with the ocean around the island at the start, the island is pretty much the exact size as the gamecube town, ties for biggest

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 10, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah this plus the island size being about equal to new leaf's town size is disappointing

everything else looks amazing though so v:shobon:v

yea my only real disappointment with this is that I wish a new gen meant a more sizable island/more townsfolk but I get they like to keep it feeling close knit.

I better get that new elephant and that instragram twink rear end cat with glasses, though :argh:

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

jackhunter64 posted:

I'd like to be a Raccoon Goon, please!

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

I'd love a tag if it's not too late but if not, I'll be trying to avoid Mononook on Jabberwock Island (just started Danganronpa 2:ohdear:)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

sexpig by night posted:

yea my only real disappointment with this is that I wish a new gen meant a more sizable island/more townsfolk but I get they like to keep it feeling close knit.

I better get that new elephant and that instragram twink rear end cat with glasses, though :argh:

I imagine the ability to put stuff outside is also playing a role in this as well, but maybe Animal Crossing for the Nintendo Switch U will go bigger.

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

Pocket Grandpa checking in

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
VERY FIRST PAPA

I WILL BE THE UR-PAPA

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Is it too late to get in on the gang tag? I just preordered this game, after the disappointment of pocket camp this game seems to be a proper next gen AC. I hope they have more than 10 villagers though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Watching a video on the enhanced port Japan got of the original game and I'm requesting they bring back Pajama Nook.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Is Tom Nook a jailbird?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

It was smaller overall but the shopping center meant you had fewer buildings that needed space in the town proper which probably helped make it feel bigger.

Oh man! That reminds me of how much I liked crossing the road to get to the city area! I hope that's coming back in a bigger fashion

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Modest Mao posted:

Original animal crossing had 7680 squares, New Horizons is 10,752 if you can fill in the beach to the edge of each acre.. makes it twice as big as city folk

Each acre is 16*16 squares, Gamecube had 5*6, City Folk 5*5 and NH 7*6

edit: at the very least, with the ocean around the island at the start, the island is pretty much the exact size as the gamecube town, ties for biggest

i swore someone posted something showing that this was demonstrably not the case but i could be wrong

at any rate the gamecube version certainly felt considerably larger than even new leaf, possibly entirely due to the camera angle

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i swore someone posted something showing that this was demonstrably not the case but i could be wrong

at any rate the gamecube version certainly felt considerably larger than even new leaf, possibly entirely due to the camera angle

https://eugeneration.github.io/HappyIslandDesigner/

The link above has the island as 6 acres tall and 7 wide, each acre is 16x16 squares, and you can kinda imagine shifting the island down and right using the sand from the left to fill the water on the right... it'd fill up 5x6 of the squares or a little more. The original game was 6x5 also with 16x16 squares, and the later games were all smaller. When you dig a hole, or plant a flower or w/e that's one square, for reference.

edit:

The original game did confine 4 player characters to one acre, and had 15 villagers placed all over, but it also had 8 facilities that took up one acre

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 10, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1237132727750705153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Can't wait. Making daily notifications that countdown until this comes out sure ain't helping either.