Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp finally ordered the 64gig (ugh) iPad Air (Early 2019). Very excited. I know something new is coming up. But my credit expired on Feb 29th and I had to order it.

So only the 1st gen Pencil will work with this correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Welp finally ordered the 64gig (ugh) iPad Air (Early 2019). Very excited. I know something new is coming up. But my credit expired on Feb 29th and I had to order it.

So only the 1st gen Pencil will work with this correct?

Only the first gen Pencil yeah.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I bought it one in December, it was a hell of an upgrade over my first-gen Air.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

New iPad Pro would need to introduce some real nice new screen tech or something to convince me to switch from the 1st Gen. A nice camera would be nice for taking reference photos when sketching on the go, but the performance of the 1st Gen is still so drat good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ijyt posted:

New iPad Pro would need to introduce some real nice new screen tech or something to convince me to switch from the 1st Gen. A nice camera would be nice for taking reference photos when sketching on the go, but the performance of the 1st Gen is still so drat good.

According to macrumors and MCK, we can expect a new MiniLED display and trackpad accessory. Not joking on the last one, Apple appears to be asymptoting toward the notebook

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

According to macrumors and MCK, we can expect a new MiniLED display and trackpad accessory. Not joking on the last one, Apple appears to be asymptoting toward the notebook

Well poo poo, the trackpad rumour is interesting for sure. I’d rather they take on Wacom and introduce proper drivers for Windows/Mac to use as a pen display.

While I’m dreaming, native apps for Substance suite please.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ijyt posted:

Well poo poo, the trackpad rumour is interesting for sure. I’d rather they take on Wacom and introduce proper drivers for Windows/Mac to use as a pen display.

While I’m dreaming, native apps for Substance suite please.
For Mac at least there’s the whole Sidecar thing.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

BonoMan posted:

Welp finally ordered the 64gig (ugh) iPad Air (Early 2019).
64gb is enough for most people so nothing to worry about.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

japtor posted:

For Mac at least there’s the whole Sidecar thing.

It's not supported on any that don't have USB-C, which sucks. I use Photoshop daily and would loving love to use the iPad with it. I can't at all justify a new laptop when mine is still perfectly good tho. Older retina 15" quad core i7 with 16gb RAM. It's older but it's no slower than my newer work 13". My work laptop they won't let me upgrade Mac OS so I can't use sidecar on it either! Wooooo!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ddogflex posted:

It's not supported on any that don't have USB-C, which sucks. I use Photoshop daily and would loving love to use the iPad with it. I can't at all justify a new laptop when mine is still perfectly good tho. Older retina 15" quad core i7 with 16gb RAM. It's older but it's no slower than my newer work 13". My work laptop they won't let me upgrade Mac OS so I can't use sidecar on it either! Wooooo!

It's actually due to some video poo poo intel only added circa 2016. I have a 2015 macbook with USB-C and it doesn't do sidecar

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Clark Nova posted:

It's actually due to some video poo poo intel only added circa 2016. I have a 2015 macbook with USB-C and it doesn't do sidecar

It's just odd because third party apps will do it, they're just absurdly expensive.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ddogflex posted:

It's just odd because third party apps will do it, they're just absurdly expensive.

Sidecar uses hardware HEVC encoding so only macs with that can use it. 3rd party apps like Astropad use their own compression and don’t rely on specific hardware. Astropads really good and there’s a cheap version that isn’t expensive.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't think I could ever replace my PC with a Mac for daily use, not really sure it'd be worth trying to dualboot it either.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The charging cable for my IPad Air 2 is acting up so I’m looking to buy a new one and the huge selection on Amazon is kinda overwhelming. Should I just get the one Apple is selling? From the reviews it doesn’t look very high quality but I’m afraid of ordering a 3rd party one and it not working.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RatHat posted:

The charging cable for my IPad Air 2 is acting up so I’m looking to buy a new one and the huge selection on Amazon is kinda overwhelming. Should I just get the one Apple is selling? From the reviews it doesn’t look very high quality but I’m afraid of ordering a 3rd party one and it not working.

If you buy non-Apple, make it some kind of name brand. All the rest are garbage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mediaphage posted:

If you buy non-Apple, make it some kind of name brand. All the rest are garbage.

Do you have some examples? I’m not familiar with the name brands of charging cables.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RatHat posted:

Do you have some examples? I’m not familiar with the name brands of charging cables.

Anker is my go to quality third party

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RatHat posted:

Monoprice, Anker, and AmazonBasics are pretty popular.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Anker makes a 100W brick that does an awesome job of charging several things at once including a MBP 16 and an iPad Pro 11. It also works great for my pixelbook and fast charges all of my phones. I started replacing clusters of cords with those things anywhere I need charging and got some Decent inexpensive 10ft USB-C cables to go along. Cable matters less for charging MicroUSB things, it seems.

I've not tried using multiple devices at full blast while trying to charge (like playing Civ6 on both the ipad and MBP at the same time or something), but it seems to handle charging several devices during normal usage easily.

The 100W Anker isn't cheap but the convenience is really nice.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RatHat posted:

Anker's braided cables last long, but not forever if you keep your cable at an angle. Sometimes, even they stop working. I'd say either Anker, something very official like, idunno, Monoprice, or Apple's own cheap crap.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Monoprice has a lifetime warranty on their cables. I’ve had to use it once before and it was relatively painless.

I bought some super long braided Monoprice cables as stocking stuffers and my daughter’s is starting to fray at the boot 2 months later. So lifetime warranty does not mean it’s any sturdier than an Anker, but I can at least get it replaced.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a reason the next pro wouldn’t have wireless charging or is it an actual possibility?

I was gifted a wireless pad for my phone and I didn’t realize how much I like saving that 4 seconds at the end of the day.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the point of wireless charging on such a large device with a huge battery.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Half the time you can't get a iPhone on the charger right good luck getting an unwieldly iPad to teeter on it correctly.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My plan is to glue it in place perfectly so all I have to do is plug the charging pad into the wall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

My plan is to glue it in place perfectly so all I have to do is plug the charging pad into the wall.

:hmmyes:

Just get a 60 watt USB-C fast charger and never worry about battery life ever again.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rolo posted:

Is there a reason the next pro wouldn’t have wireless charging or is it an actual possibility?

I was gifted a wireless pad for my phone and I didn’t realize how much I like saving that 4 seconds at the end of the day.

It would probably need to have a non-metal back, at least in part. Whatever they're using for the Pencil 2 works through the frame, but Qi doesn't (hence the glass backs on everything).

So they'd need to either have an iPad-specific charging dock that uses whatever the Pencil 2 uses (which may not support that level of juice), or put a glass or plastic back on the thing.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

Whatever they're using for the Pencil 2 works through the frame, but Qi doesn't (hence the glass backs on everything).
if you look, there's actually a small plastic (I assume) spot where the Pencil magnetizes to the iPad!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

if you look, there's actually a small plastic (I assume) spot where the Pencil magnetizes to the iPad!

Well there you go, I've got the Pro 10.5, so I've never gotten a close look at the 3rd gen Pros.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I haven’t been keeping up, is it still 100% speculation that there will be new pros in early 2020?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I haven’t been keeping up, is it still 100% speculation that there will be new pros in early 2020?

I’m not sure if you have seen the state of the world but it’s highly unlikely we see new stuff any time soon. Maybe summer at the earliest.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh duh.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
At this stage I'm not entirely sure we're getting a new iPhone in 2020. China is opening up factories again saying everything is great, but China is lying.

The HP Touchpad had wireless charging, but it was plastic. I always thought that was a missed marketing opportunity since charging via the 30 pin was awkward and consumers hadn't quite figured out best practices in keeping their iPads safe (friend stepped on his 1st gen getting out of bed). Instead HP figured Russell Brand was a good use of marketing dollars.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Krispy Wafer posted:

The HP Touchpad had wireless charging, but it was plastic. I always thought that was a missed marketing opportunity since charging via the 30 pin was awkward and consumers hadn't quite figured out best practices in keeping their iPads safe (friend stepped on his 1st gen getting out of bed). Instead HP figured Russell Brand was a good use of marketing dollars.

I had one of those, picked it up when they went on super clearance. I reflashed it to Android, and it was probably the best Android tablet I had. Wound up trying an Asus Transformer and one of the Nexus tablets after that, then eventually went iPad because even a good Android tablet still kind of sucks on everything but price.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TVs Ian posted:

I had one of those, picked it up when they went on super clearance. I reflashed it to Android, and it was probably the best Android tablet I had. Wound up trying an Asus Transformer and one of the Nexus tablets after that, then eventually went iPad because even a good Android tablet still kind of sucks on everything but price.

I just charged and booted mine up a couple of weeks ago. It had the best sound of any tablet until the iPad Pros got better speakers imo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

At this stage I'm not entirely sure we're getting a new iPhone in 2020. China is opening up factories again saying everything is great, but China is lying.

As if shareholders would let Apple not release a new product. It'll be launched, get a 4-6 week lead time in the first hour, and be constantly in demand until like summer 2021.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
drat so I should just get that ipad pro now, instead of waiting?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Woodenlung posted:

You'll probably get some good use out of it when you are in your 14 day lock down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Woodenlung posted:

For what it's worth, I have the 1st gen iPad Pro and it is running as fast and smoothly (if not smoother) as the day I got it.