Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was thinking about the pre-order all weekend, then morning brain made me forget until 15 minutes after it started. I got 6-8 weeks. :doh:

I really wish I could just pay now so that Alyx would be unlocked on release and I could use it with one of my other headsets. I'm gonna lose my mind waiting while the rest of the world plays it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Looks like I'm playing Alyx with the stinky Vive wands :(

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I already have an Index, but out of curiosity I glanced at the store page 31 minutes after sales were turned on and it was already at 8 weeks for the ship estimate.

Some douchebag was posting in the Index subreddit yesterday about how obviously there is going to be plenty for everyone Valve wouldn't let there be a stock shortage etc.

People rightly told him he was a loving moron.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I really thought it'd be possible to get an Index before the HL Alyx launch. I clicked the order button as soon as possible and still got 2 to 4 weeks to ship.

I'm looking at what VR headsets are actually in stock, which seems to be basically just HP Reverb and Vive Cosmos. I'm looking into both of them and it sounds like both of them have some issues with controller tracking, which seems unfortunate.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Walrus posted:

I was late, but was able to order a set of controllers? I just clicked 'order' and was expecting to put me through to payment info etc but it just said 'ordered!' and I got an email telling me

"For items that are not available for immediate shipping, we will send you a separate email to confirm your shipping and payment information as the target date arrives. You will have 7 days to complete the transaction at that time."

So I'm basically waitlisted? I think?

Yeah, same. Wait time was listed at 4-6 weeks when I put mine in.
I'm glad I decided to check this thread on a whim because I didn't even know they were opening orders back up. Hopefully they'll ship before the game does, I would pay for it now if they let me and just play it with my Vive controllers, much as I don't really want to do that.

I guess technically you can buy the game and then get it refunded when the hardware ships, according to the faq here.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 9, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Those of you that are apparently waitlisted, where does it say the estimated shipping date? I can't find any such thing anywhere and I don't know if that means mine is in limbo or if it means I got in on the limited available stock for round 1.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Those of you that are apparently waitlisted, where does it say the estimated shipping date? I can't find any such thing anywhere and I don't know if that means mine is in limbo or if it means I got in on the limited available stock for round 1.

In your Steam purchase history.

Also on the product page. It's not immediately obvious that it's personalised, but it will show something different if you're not logged in.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, doesn't say anything about a shipping date there, just says shipment status is processing. Whatever, I'll give it the week to settle out before worrying about it, is what it is.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, doesn't say anything about a shipping date there, just says shipment status is processing. Whatever, I'll give it the week to settle out before worrying about it, is what it is.

Yeah, mine's sitting in my purchase history like this:

So I guess I should be grateful I'm in the 2~4 week range.... I think I can hold off playing Alyx a couple of days if I complete the order and they arrive in late March. I'm more than likely gonna cave immediately tho and end up playing with the vive wands

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is the $1000 headset needed for Alyx or will you be able to play it in the pleb devices (Rift S)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

Is the $1000 headset needed for Alyx or will you be able to play it in the pleb devices (Rift S)

The latter, it will run on anything Steam VR compatible (yes even WMR if you are extremely cursed).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Penpal posted:

So I guess I should be grateful I'm in the 2~4 week range.... I think I can hold off playing Alyx a couple of days if I complete the order and they arrive in late March. I'm more than likely gonna cave immediately tho and end up playing with the vive wands

Are we sure that isn't batch 1? I ordered within a minute of them going on sale and got the same range. I chalked it up to the manufacturing not being completed quite yet or something like that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was trying an older VR game, and well, it's incredible how some have aged in just two or three years. People were really discovering how to use the new medium. Like Wilson's Heart.
Having to teleport to a few predetermined spots is so clunky and limiting. No free locomotion, no free teleport, much less 'arm swinger' or other experimental control schemes. In fact, you can see something rare in the options menu... but in the bad sense: there isn't anything beyond the volume controls! One of the trends of current VR games is to try to accommodate everytone offering a good amount of control for the player, in terms of comfort and ways of playing: seated/standing, vignette/tunnel system, free or snap turning, teleport/dash/joystick, move with head/controller, etc. Here, nothing.
Not only that, but the specifics of how their system of hotspots is pretty bad, as I discovered in just the first 3 minutes. The hotspots are linked between them like A-->B-->C-->D, so you have to traverse all of them to got from A to D, DESPITE sometimes you are in a spot like B where you should be able to see (and therefore, use) point D, it's only 10 or 12 mts away!, but until you move first to C, it will be invisible. /facepalm

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Did Valve ever sell the controllers on their own or did I imagine that?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

Since day 1.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1059550/Valve_Index_Controllers/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zero VGS posted:

(yes even WMR if you are extremely cursed)

:smith:

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

I got in at 10:33 today and mine is stuck on processing so I guess I'm just hosed for two/four months.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Penpal posted:

Maybe I'm daft but I don't get any sort of "in-process orders" category on my order history, it's just a flat list of items. The top item being this:

And if I click through on "View Shipment Details" I get:

I got mine started (with the "complete this invoice by March 10" showing up) within the first ten minutes, and had successfully paid and had my confirmation email by 20 after the hour. v:confused:v

Ardryn posted:

I got in at 10:33 today and mine is stuck on processing so I guess I'm just hosed for two/four months.

Welcome to limbo, buddy.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Consensus seems to be if you were able to make your payment today and have "Shipment Status: Processing" you made it into the first batch, everybody else has to wait.

But we won't know for sure til people start getting shipment notifications.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Weird, I clicked "Order" to see what the stock would look like and now it just says "Ordered" with no confirmation. Does that I mean have Half-Life Alyx? How can I confirm? It didn't charge me and nothing shows in my purchase history.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Weird, I clicked "Order" to see what the stock would look like and now it just says "Ordered" with no confirmation. Does that I mean have Half-Life Alyx? How can I confirm? It didn't charge me and nothing shows in my purchase history.

I can say I have Alyx just sitting in my library, it literally appeared with no fanfare the moment I completed my order.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tip posted:

I was thinking about the pre-order all weekend, then morning brain made me forget until 15 minutes after it started. I got 6-8 weeks. :doh:

My 6-8 weeks just got upgraded to 5-7 weeks. :toot:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ardryn posted:

I can say I have Alyx just sitting in my library, it literally appeared with no fanfare the moment I completed my order.

No pre-loading yet though, it appears. I guess March 20 is still fairly far away.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

FBS posted:

Consensus seems to be if you were able to make your payment today and have "Shipment Status: Processing" you made it into the first batch, everybody else has to wait.

But we won't know for sure til people start getting shipment notifications.

Man I hope that is true. As I mentioned before, at the hour mark I clicked "buy" as fast as my brain could process but then I was in page reload limbo for about 20-25 mintues. I guess they checked to see when you first clicked and saved that info?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m guessing that created the invoice which snagged your order. Then the actual payment was allowed more time to get sorted out. Makes sense if you know your store is going to get hammered, just do the easiest thing first and let the details get sorted after the rush.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tip posted:

My 6-8 weeks just got upgraded to 5-7 weeks. :toot:

:suspense:

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Zero VGS posted:

I'm thinking it works like back when the index controllers were available for reservation. Clicking Order locks in your reservation and once they become available and you officially confirm your order you'll get Alyx then?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I’m guessing that created the invoice which snagged your order. Then the actual payment was allowed more time to get sorted out. Makes sense if you know your store is going to get hammered, just do the easiest thing first and let the details get sorted after the rush.

Sure would be nice if they, you know, communicated this somehow, but maybe I'm asking for too much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For those that can't get their hands on an Index (like me), HTC's discontinuing the Vive Pro in favour of the Pro Eye, so maybe we can get real lucky and see one get a clearance discount at a nearly-sane price? :pray:

I think the Cosmos is partly to blame on this, because it probably it make it look bad as an upgrade. The Pro Eye's also not getting an HMD-only iteration it seems, so the prosumers get pointed at a $700USD HMD and $200USD faceplate whether they like it or not now.

Zero VGS posted:

Valve's sold the Index in just about every bundle permutation possible between the controllers, HMD, and V2 Lighthouses as well as separately.

Zero VGS posted:

Just look in your Library and check for your uninstalled games if you have them hidden. If you own it, it's there.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 10, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I don't know what the gently caress HTC is trying to do.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SCheeseman posted:

I don't know what the gently caress HTC is trying to do.

HTC Exec: No one is buying our new Vive products, we have to fix this now! What have you got for me, how do we get these numbers up?
Underling: Well some people are still buying the Vive Pro. If we cancel that they'll uhh... have to buy our new stuff?
HTC Exec: Brilliant!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

For Index owners, what do you think about ordering extra face gaskets? (2 for $40)

I figure if I want spares I should order them now while they're still in stock. Looks like they're now showing a 4-8 business day lead time. But the question stands

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Facebook AI research to possibly/eventually give Quest "67% MORE GPU POWER".
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-ai-quest-superres/

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I ordered the Index kit this morning, clicked Purchase at pretty much 10:00 on the dot after hammering F5. It kept spitting an error on the shipping confirmation page but by 10:26 I managed to finish payment. Shipping status is "Processing." Does this mean I made it on time?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Junk posted:

I ordered the Index kit this morning, clicked Purchase at pretty much 10:00 on the dot after hammering F5. It kept spitting an error on the shipping confirmation page but by 10:26 I managed to finish payment. Shipping status is "Processing." Does this mean I made it on time?

I had the same exact experience. From what I hear that means we made it!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FBS posted:

For Index owners, what do you think about ordering extra face gaskets? (2 for $40)

I figure if I want spares I should order them now while they're still in stock. Looks like they're now showing a 4-8 business day lead time. But the question stands

Buy a few. You'll want em eventually.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

jubjub64 posted:

I had the same exact experience. From what I hear that means we made it!

:cool::hf::mmmhmm:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just for general curiosity; How is the Vive Pro as a headset? I've heard good and bad about it from various people, and it might well wind up being my best upgrade if the Index's IPD is indeed a no-go for me.

My IPD's higher than 70mm and it's been hit-and-miss for people over that as best I can look up.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
All this launch anxiety is making me glad I bought the Index controllers when they were first available. Although I doubt I'll play HL:A on launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
What's the state of VR on mac? API-wise SteamVR works, but Oculus does not?
I want to hold a workshop in virtual youtubing, but trying to avoid dragging around a full workstation.