Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

y'all use alot of letters to write 'vi'

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

y'all use alot of letters to write 'vi'

:bsdsnype:

that's not how you spell ed, the standard text editor

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

that's not how you spell ed, the standard text editor

code:
[utena@ohtohori Downloads]$ ed
bash: ed: command not found
[utena@ohtohori Downloads]$ vi
[utena@ohtohori Downloads]$
:smugdog:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SoftNum posted:

code:

what the gently caress

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
yeah, that's not how you spell ohtori

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SoftNum posted:

code:
I'm sad to report to you that your system appears to be broken.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Just give up and accept the nano

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Axe-man posted:

Just give up and accept the nano

What do you think we’re trying to do here, edit text?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Editor Wars never ended, so the phrase "EMACS is a fine OS, shame about the lack of an editor" still applies. :colbert:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Editor Wars never ended, so the phrase "EMACS is a fine OS, shame about the lack of an editor" still applies. :colbert:

This is why evil mode was invented.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Why use any of that poo poo when you can just C-x M-c
M-butterfly

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Those people who complain that LateX is hard to install on windows, have never tried to link a windows LateX install with a windows VI install.
I switched to Texmaker in the end, but I still miss the amazing folding in VI.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Emacs is to Office what Vim is to notepad.
Both are very good at what they do (certainly better than their anologies in any instance) but you will be hard pressed to find Org functionality in Vim and Vim's low-level speed in emacs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Emacs is to Office what Vim is to notepad.
Both are very good at what they do (certainly better than their anologies in any instance) but you will be hard pressed to find Org functionality in Vim and Vim's low-level speed in emacs.

Notepad is awful at what it does though? :confused:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Everyone knows multiplayer notepad is the better version.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

I just use Notepad via Wine, it's simple and gets the job done.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Notepad is awful at what it does though? :confused:

Is it? I thought it was too basic to be particularly egregious (or, indeed, useful) but if its some horrific bloated monstrosity I'll cop to it.

Point was its the text editor and office was the multi-function suite.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey, I'm an idiot, what's wrong with my bash script? Excessive echos there because I was trying to figure out what's up

quote:

audio=`pacmd list-cards | grep 'active profile'`
analog="active profile: <output:analog-stereo>"
echo $audio
echo $analog
if [[ "$audio" == "$analog" ]]; then
pactl set-card-profile 0 output:hdmi-stereo
else
pactl set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo
fi

Even if $audio and $analog appear to be the same, it doesn't work and runs pactl set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BrainDance posted:

Hey, I'm an idiot, what's wrong with my bash script? Excessive echos there because I was trying to figure out what's up

Even if $audio and $analog appear to be the same, it doesn't work and runs pactl set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo

try debug mode - bash -x as your shebang or call the script bash -x <scriptname>

it outputs what its actually doing as its doing it

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Pretty rusty at all things linux, but it could be that there are control characters in the $audio variable that aren't being displayed by the echo command. Could try putting the following at the end of your script to see what the variables contain before they're interpreted.
code:
set | grep 'audio\|analog'

tjones
May 13, 2005
Put double quotes around your echo statement variables and you'll see why its not matching.

ex:
echo "$audio"
echo "$analog"

code:
	active profile: <output:analog-stereo>
CASE 2

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

tjones posted:

Put double quotes around your echo statement variables and you'll see why its not matching.

ex:
echo "$audio"
echo "$analog"

code:
CASE 2

Yeah, this is what I get when I did that, so now $analog is " active profile: <output:analog-stereo>" instead and it works lol. Thanks everybody.

Edit: It was more clear in the post window, but yeah it's a character before active profile which I didn't otherwise see.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 11, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Weaponized Autism posted:

After using Mint for 7 years, I switched over to Fedora w/ KDE last night. God drat KDE is so much better than Cinnamon.

Fedora's KDE "spin" is insanely bloated compared to other distros, where it reaches XFCE speeds. Remove the 'akonadi' package and the various DE tools it relies upon and you'll be gold.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

Fedora's KDE "spin" is insanely bloated compared to other distros, where it reaches XFCE speeds. Remove the 'akonadi' package and the various DE tools it relies upon and you'll be gold.

Be careful doing that if you use the mail app or anything that relies on it though.

Personally, I also stop and disable Baloo, the file indexing service. Apart from not needing it, it also shits up your application menu with your files for some reason.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Severing posted:

Be careful doing that if you use the mail app or anything that relies on it though.

Well, yeah, but that's why every other KDE variant of a distro ships Thunderbird. The guy heading up Fedora's believes in it being a KDE/QT showcase, which means users making elaborate guides for minimal installs and Fedora Magazine's writer lamenting having to report a huge memory footprint even though he himself is a "KDE fan" and knows it's ridiculous.

The reality is in-between. The KDE spin does ship a lot of KDE bloatware, but just removing Akonadi and everything that goes out with it will make it work fine on any system that isn't miserly about space. And some of the little programs, particularly Kate Editor and KGet, are programs I do use quite a bit. I even put Kate on my GNOME CentOS box because the gEdit team won't get it together for Wayland; which banned running graphical editors under sudo. Kate will edit read only files and prompt you for your password when you try to save which is compatible with Wayland. gEdit's devs are basically in "time to get used to nano folks" denial mode. Which is really loving weird because GNOME is pretty much the final destination for the "want my Grandma to use Linux" types. No new user who is hesitant to customization and is used to MS Notepad wants to edit their files in a terminal emulator.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 11, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, the Gnome people are Apple-level of "You are holding it wrong", so that's to be expected.

I wish the Akonadi people would finally dump their mysql dependency in the trash where it belongs FWIW.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

BrainDance posted:

I know this isn't exactly what you are asking but this could be simplified to:

code:
if pacmd list-cards | grep -q "active profile: <output:analog-stereo>"; then
    pactl set-card-profile 0 output:hdmi-stereo
else
    pactl set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo
fi
Or something like that.

It is possible to have more than one card and I think each can have its own active profile so if you want to make this portable you'd have to adjust to take that into account.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Thanks, that's actually really helpful.

I figured there had to be a better way to accomplish what I was trying to do. Didn't know how else to go about it, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is it? I thought it was too basic to be particularly egregious (or, indeed, useful) but if its some horrific bloated monstrosity I'll cop to it.

Point was its the text editor and office was the multi-function suite.

I mean, it's not particularly bloated, but it also chokes and dies on even moderately large files, has weird UTF-8 support and no support for line endings that aren't CRLF, and lacks what I consider even very basic text editor features (and have since like 1993), like the ability to indent/exdent multiple lines at once, adjust the tab width, or search in reverse or by regex.

If all you want to do is view a text file without editing it (and that text file is small and uses CRLF line endings) it's ok, I guess, but at that point the best point of comparison is less and it comes out poorly even there.

Before I discovered Notepad++ I tended to remap .txt from notepad to wordpad anyways, because while it starts up slower it also won't completely poo poo the bed on large text files or ones with LF line endings.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

I was wondering if there was an application similar to Notepad++ on Linux as it uses the open source SCintilla editor. The closest I've found in look and feel is Notepadqq (which from what I can tell is trying to be a clone of it).

Not sure if I'll switch from Kate but we'll see.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Severing posted:

I was wondering if there was an application similar to Notepad++ on Linux as it uses the open source SCintilla editor. The closest I've found in look and feel is Notepadqq (which from what I can tell is trying to be a clone of it).

Not sure if I'll switch from Kate but we'll see.

Sublime Text is my go to for all platforms

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fletcher posted:

Sublime Text is my go to for all platforms

Same. The last Scintilla-based editor I used was SciTE, which I remember being...ok? But this was also like 15 years ago.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Kate is nice, Visual Studio Code also works pretty well.

tjones
May 13, 2005
You could check out Geany. It's very Notepad++ like.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One of the more surprising things Microsoft has done recently is to add better support for alternate line endings in Notepad. I haven't tested it, though.

FriedDijaaj
Feb 15, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Well, the Gnome people are Apple-level of "You are holding it wrong", so that's to be expected.

I wish the Akonadi people would finally dump their mysql dependency in the trash where it belongs FWIW.

I prefer the KGroupware suite to Thunderbird.

MySQL hasn't been required for a while. Here are instructions for configuring Akonadi to use postgresql: https://vinzv.de/en/bringing-kmail-and-postgresql-together/

While the author mentions that his distribution of choice is Opensuse, this continues to work for me under the latest Fedora. I have been using this configuration for at least a year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Computer viking posted:

One of the more surprising things Microsoft has done recently is to add better support for alternate line endings in Notepad. I haven't tested it, though.

It came out of nowhere too. Software is completely ignored for 15 years then boom, an update. And nothing else since.

Wonder which branch of the government demanded it!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I envision some engineer working on WSL angrily muttering to himself while typing "notepad.cpp" into the appropriate search box, but your theory is also quite plausible.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Computer viking posted:

I envision some engineer working on WSL angrily muttering to himself while typing "notepad.cpp" into the appropriate search box, but your theory is also quite plausible.

I 100% assumed this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FriedDijaaj posted:

I prefer the KGroupware suite to Thunderbird.

MySQL hasn't been required for a while. Here are instructions for configuring Akonadi to use postgresql: https://vinzv.de/en/bringing-kmail-and-postgresql-together/

While the author mentions that his distribution of choice is Opensuse, this continues to work for me under the latest Fedora. I have been using this configuration for at least a year.

It can also to sqlite, which is what I've compiled it with. But they recommend their garbage mysql thing which likes to poo poo the bed hard.