Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

MotherFUCKER this is more self-feliating then the urban legend about Marlyan Manson.

And who do you think pioneered the surgical techniques that allowed Marilyn Manson to remove two of his ribs so he could blow himself?

That’s right- boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

"Here's one last piece of advice. Aim higher. Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves—health insurance, child care, student loans, paid family leave. Our passion was often to help others: civil rights, apartheid and famines in places like Bangladesh, Biafra and Ethiopia. Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions. Our generation may have failed in the execution, but we did not fail in ambition."

Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress. Is it just this rear end in a top hat or do a lot of them think we want those things only for ourselves and not because it will help a lot of people? Me generation indeed, gently caress man

I didn’t read the article but this quote is all I’ll ever need from it

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

"Here's one last piece of advice. Aim higher. Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves—health insurance, child care, student loans, paid family leave. Our passion was often to help others: civil rights, apartheid and famines in places like Bangladesh, Biafra and Ethiopia. Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions. Our generation may have failed in the execution, but we did not fail in ambition."

Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress. Is it just this rear end in a top hat or do a lot of them think we want those things only for ourselves and not because it will help a lot of people? Me generation indeed, gently caress man

No. My uncle thinks this exact thing. He also thinks that everything is too complex and change is too hard and it will never happen and it's pointless to try &c &c

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/LouisianaGov/status/1237074441433202696

:toot:

I wonder how many carriers came into town for Mardi Gras

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

maffew buildings posted:

"Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves" says author who in the latter part of the same sentence mentions child care and paid family leave.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Why try to fix things here? Try some lofty goals that don't actually require any direct effort because they won't actually ever be fixed, like world hunger!

Honestly though does anyone read that rag ever? Someone starting a conversation about a Newsweek article is my cue to exit

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Sacrist65 posted:

"Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves" says author who in the latter part of the same sentence mentions child care and paid family leave.

No, see, those are changes to America. We don't change America, it's perfect. Change the world! There's nothing to fix at home, you selfish kids!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
They seem to run on a sense of moral superiority and an inability to process genuine altruism. It's loving infuriating, it is a generation of loving sociopaths

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol the only reason anyone cared about Live Aid was to see, like, Queen and Led Zepplin. No one gave a gently caress about Ethiopia.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

looking into newsweek's relatively recent history is real fun. i ended up doing it a couple years ago when seeing if i wanted to use one of their articles for an essay (I did not.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

They seem to run on a sense of moral superiority and an inability to process genuine altruism. It's loving infuriating, it is a generation of loving sociopaths

It's really no wonder they worship Donny dickbrains. They see themselves in him

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jesus loving Christ, I check into the crazy ward for the week and the world burns in real time. loving marvelous.

It would take all night to catch up on this madness, if I cared enough to read back twenty pages.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Have we considered that this might be Andy Kauffman re-emerging into the world?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

stealie72 posted:

I'm still not entirely convinced this isn't the simulation breaking down. I've had my suspicions ever since the Cubs won the world series but I've never been able to figure out if that was the cause or the first sign.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sharknado slashfic posted:

Lol the only reason anyone cared about Live Aid was to see, like, Queen and Led Zepplin. No one gave a gently caress about Ethiopia.

quote:

BBC coverage co-host Andy Kershaw criticised the event in his autobiography No Off Switch, stating, "Musically, Live Aid was to be entirely predictable and boring. As they were wheeled out – or rather bullied by Geldof into playing – it became clear that this was another parade of the same old rock aristocracy in a concert for Africa, organised by someone who, while advertising his concern for, and sympathy with, the continent didn't see fit to celebrate or dignify the place by including on the Live Aid bill a single African performer." Kershaw also described the attitude of Geldof and his showbusiness associates as "irritating, shallow, sanctimonious and self-satisfied".

Checks out.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

stealie72 posted:

Destroying capitalism as a performance art piece?

If anyone would do that, it would be Andy Kauffman, if only as a act of revenge against CBS.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/KateFlood/status/1236641936628502528?s=20 :vince:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJh0m0E7Ozg

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://time.com/5799765/intelligence-report-pandemic-dangers/

quote:

“An annual intelligence report that has been postponed without explanation by President Donald Trump’s administration warns that the U.S. remains unprepared for a global pandemic, two senior government officials who have reviewed a draft of the report tell TIME.

The office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) was scheduled to deliver the Worldwide Threat Assessment to the House Intelligence Committee on Feb. 12 and the hearing has not been rescheduled, according to staffers and members of the House and Senate intelligence committees. The DNI’s office declined requests for a comment on the status of the report. Democratic staffers say they do not expect the report to be released any time soon.

The final draft of the report remains classified but the two officials who have read it say it contains warnings similar to those in the last installment, which was published on January 29, 2019. The 2019 report warns on page 29 that, “The United States will remain vulnerable to the next flu pandemic or large-scale outbreak of a contagious disease that could lead to massive rates of death and disability, severely affect the world economy, strain international resources, and increase calls on the United States for support.””

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Coronavirus fatalities hit 4,000 this evening.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Has there been an outbreak on this level before in the US? I'm 29 and can't remember anything like this. The closest I can think of was swine flu from...10 years ago?

Edit: Not the thread I meant to post this in, but I think I'll get just as good an answer here as anywhere else.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I don’t even remember swine flu being as bad. Maybe it’s just the more connected nature of everything now with social media (only in regards to the attention, not necessarily the actual damage)? For what it’s worth I’m 39

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 10, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Retrowave Joe posted:

Coronavirus fatalities hit 4,000 this evening.

Achievement unlocked

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Retrowave Joe posted:

I don’t even remember swine flu being as bad. Maybe it’s just the more connected nature of everything now with social media (only in regards to the attention, not necessarily the actual damage)? For what it’s worth I’m 39

Swine flu had like a .02% mortality rate. It did loving suck to get though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Leavemywife posted:

Has there been an outbreak on this level before in the US? I'm 29 and can't remember anything like this. The closest I can think of was swine flu from...10 years ago?

Edit: Not the thread I meant to post this in, but I think I'll get just as good an answer here as anywhere else.

The actual numbers right now are really, really mild.

The problem is that the actual numbers aren't even close to true.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

I'm 40, I've never seen anything like it. Anthrax scare right after 9/11 was pumping up a bit of hysteria around it but was very short lived. Only thing in the same ballpark that I remember. Swine flu looked scary for like a week then died down.

Talking to the olds in my department it sounds like the last gasps of Polio in the US were kinda like this. I'd say we're closer to a 1918 flu than anything else here. A month ago I would have called you a loonie if you said that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Jesus loving Christ, I check into the crazy ward for the week and the world burns in real time. loving marvelous.

It would take all night to catch up on this madness, if I cared enough to read back twenty pages.

Everything ok?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
CURRENT EVENT: PATH OF EXILE LEAGUE OUT ON FRIDAY AND I GOT THE DAY OFF

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's honestly the only time I can think of where I've been concerned about a disease. It's kind of scary, especially since I work at a Walgreens. Thankfully, I'm in a small town in Michigan (less than 12k population), but I still have this small worry in the back of my mind.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Boomer college education was paid for by the government directly funding public universities and they're too loving stupid to realize that no it was paid for in taxes. The gap in prices between public and private universities has shrank because more and more there becomes little difference.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

white boomers magically became uninterested in progressive candidates as soon as they weren't directly threatened by the draft

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PookBear posted:

Boomer college education was paid for by the government directly funding public universities and they're too loving stupid to realize that no it was paid for in taxes. The gap in prices between public and private universities has shrank because more and more there becomes little difference.

VOCATIONAL SCHOOLS

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

PookBear posted:

white boomers magically became uninterested in progressive candidates as soon as they weren't directly threatened by the draft
Which was not exactly a surprise to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6DVdCzwy0

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leavemywife posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Honestly I'm not gonna worry about Coronavirus, if only because I've been getting "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!1!" screamed at me by Fox and CNN once a month for the last 20 years.

A strong flu is a 2 on the disaster scale, maybe a 3 if coughing blood is a symptom.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Young people (meaning anybody under roughly 55) have nothing to worry about from the virus assuming they don't have a compromised immune system. The danger of the virus itself is largely irrelevant to why it's actually a colossal concern that's absolutely destroying the world economy right now. It spreads easily enough, and people go a long time before showing symptoms. Which means it will eventually find people that *do* need to get hospitalization or they die. If too many of these people get sick, the healthcare system gets overloaded and then a lot more people die. Nobody gives a poo poo if young people get flu-like symptoms for a week.

Because it's so dangerous to older people (who make up a large percentage of the workforce in certain countries and sectors) there's legitimate public health concern. But people don't work like that, and people that are largely safe will panic regardless. This is the dangerous part of a pandemic.

I keep seeing people dismiss COVID-19 as something meaningless, and the best metaphor I have is a house fire. The fire isn't what will kill you, it's the smoke.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My mother and aunt are teachers, I spend most of my day in and out of offices meeting with clients, my wife is a caregiver for the elderly, and she's immunocompromised. I'm absolutely worried.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Young people (meaning anybody under roughly 55) have nothing to worry about from the virus assuming they don't have a compromised immune system. The danger of the virus itself is largely irrelevant to why it's actually a colossal concern that's absolutely destroying the world economy right now. It spreads easily enough, and people go a long time before showing symptoms. Which means it will eventually find people that *do* need to get hospitalization or they die. If too many of these people get sick, the healthcare system gets overloaded and then a lot more people die. Nobody gives a poo poo if young people get flu-like symptoms for a week.

Because it's so dangerous to older people (who make up a large percentage of the workforce in certain countries and sectors) there's legitimate public health concern. But people don't work like that, and people that are largely safe will panic regardless. This is the dangerous part of a pandemic.

I keep seeing people dismiss COVID-19 as something meaningless, and the best metaphor I have is a house fire. The fire isn't what will kill you, it's the smoke.

There's gonna be a whole lot of cases of dudes accidentally killing grandma in the near future.

Also that's my big fear, I work in a bunch of different hospitals and I know it's only a matter of time before I'm exposed, and I really don't want to accidentally expose my parents.

Also my company hasn't really put out a plan for what we are supposed to do if we are exposed! Which is pretty cool and good when you consider 90% of us are in healthcare facilities on a daily basis.
Sure feel good about having unlimited sick days turned into 4 extra PTO days!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My mother and aunt are teachers, I spend most of my day in and out of offices meeting with clients, my wife is a caregiver for the elderly, and she's immunocompromised. I'm absolutely worried.

Yes, my wife just got a kidney transplant and she works in healthcare. Not only do I worry about her getting it, I worry about myself getting it and spreading it to her. It doesn't help that my idiot chud coworkers are running around yelling that it's just a fake news flu and avoiding any precautions.

The flu is easily testable, has an actual treatment, has a vaccine, and hits in a way that keeps most people out of work for a while. I feel like I should be very concerned about Covid.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 10, 2020