Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

IIRC the troll hero Bogus and his friends from Dominions are even based on the Earthdawn characters made by the devs and their mates.

That said, now that I think about it, the Fourth World only had mages and medieval-level tech to fight the Horrors- metahumanity might stand a better chance with nukes, automatic weapons and jetfighters.

Not really, as every Horror worth their salt has two interlinked bodies: physical one and Astral one. Destroying only one of them in best case only slows the Horror down until it regenerates the missing part. Until you have a way to get both forms simultaneously, you're not doing anything to them.

How powerful they are? One of the strongest ones in the Earthdawn main book killed plenty of Great Dragons and it's not even the strongest Horror in existence, just one of the strongest that could still sustain itself despite lowered level of magic. Another one straight out corrupted three Passions (very big and powerful totems) through their Questors, immediately making both the beings and their worshippers insane and homicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
the best way to fight the horrors is to stop them getting here at all. who knows, since they follow the magic cycles for sustenance, maybe they'll just starve in the outer planes?

or, hell, once they get here, lock them in with us. that might work too. eventually.

i guess when it comes to actually fighting them, technically murdering one physically and then in the astral isn't *wholly* out of metahumanity's reach, but it seems implausible.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Part of the problem is that Aztlan/Aztechnology's less savory practices -- either intentionally or unwittingly -- serve to weaken the barrier that normally keeps the Horrors out until the rising mana levels allow them to overwhelm it with brute force.

ETA ... Yes, this is about as wise as a bunch of Elder God cultists in Call of Ctulhu attempting to hasten the awakening of He Who Waits Dreaming In R'Lyeh. About the only boon you can reasonably hope for is that you'll be eaten first and therefore won't have to suffer as much.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:capitalism:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

Not really, as every Horror worth their salt has two interlinked bodies: physical one and Astral one. Destroying only one of them in best case only slows the Horror down until it regenerates the missing part. Until you have a way to get both forms simultaneously, you're not doing anything to them.

How powerful they are? One of the strongest ones in the Earthdawn main book killed plenty of Great Dragons and it's not even the strongest Horror in existence, just one of the strongest that could still sustain itself despite lowered level of magic. Another one straight out corrupted three Passions (very big and powerful totems) through their Questors, immediately making both the beings and their worshippers insane and homicidal.

Mass-produced FAB3 sounds like it should still be useful against the Horrors, then.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'd give metahumanity about even odds against the Horrors. Primarily because we are very good at finding ways to kill things, but mostly on a meta angle because I assume they want to keep selling games and "the last remnants of metahumanity hiding in a low-magic bunker" does not have the same pink-mohawks-and-pleather appeal.

Although if you do want to run that, I'd suggest switching to Paranoia.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

taiyoko posted:

Mass-produced FAB3 sounds like it should still be useful against the Horrors, then.

It's not a guaranteed fix. FAB3 has an astral presence and can be fought like a spirit, and Horrors are extremely strong on the astral.

That said, even they would be eaten by the massive clouds of it that hover over Chicago's leylines.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 9, 2020

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just tell them we're not home.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dareon posted:

I'd give metahumanity about even odds against the Horrors. Primarily because we are very good at finding ways to kill things, but mostly on a meta angle because I assume they want to keep selling games and "the last remnants of metahumanity hiding in a low-magic bunker" does not have the same pink-mohawks-and-pleather appeal.

Although if you do want to run that, I'd suggest switching to Paranoia.

The arrival of horrors would pretty much change the setting into something else more or less regardless of how it turns out. That's why it will be a looming threat, but never happen. That and the fact when FASA broke up, the rights to Shadowrun and Earthdawn (and with it horrors) went to different companies, so they probably couldn't do it if they wanted.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

finally breaking through the veil, ready to devour humanity, is a blurred-out heavily redacted cosmic "terror" that each time someone tries to name they get cut off by loud noises

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I dont know posted:

The arrival of horrors would pretty much change the setting into something else more or less regardless of how it turns out. That's why it will be a looming threat, but never happen. That and the fact when FASA broke up, the rights to Shadowrun and Earthdawn (and with it horrors) went to different companies, so they probably couldn't do it if they wanted.

Capitalism and IP laws save the day again

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Earthdawn was fun, if batshit.

Latest splat book for Shadowrun has an update re insect spirits: don’t read if you don’t want to see spoilers on latest metaplot. As everyone guessed, Ares was loving about trying to use them and it all went horribly wrong. Specifically, Ares decided to invade the insect home plane by using people to reverse-possess the insect spirits and senior execs possibly including Damien Knight got themselves infested in the process. A lot of people are now dead, including DK, and Detroit came within a whisker of getting the Chicago treatment. Also something ate 100k UCAS soldiers in an instant. Also also, some of the hybrid insect spirits can hold a proper conversation and are trying to make nice, and revealed that the insect plane is functionally infinite, and also teeming with insects. A lot of other very significant changes happen too; it was a pretty wild ride.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One important thing to remember about insect spirits is that they are not monolothic. Within a hive they all co-operate, but two Queens can and will go to war with each other.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

HardDiskD posted:

Capitalism and IP laws save the day again

:capitalism: :smuggo:

Beefeater1980 posted:

Earthdawn was fun, if batshit.

Latest splat book for Shadowrun has an update re insect spirits: don’t read if you don’t want to see spoilers on latest metaplot. As everyone guessed, Ares was loving about trying to use them and it all went horribly wrong. Specifically, Ares decided to invade the insect home plane by using people to reverse-possess the insect spirits and senior execs possibly including Damien Knight got themselves infested in the process. A lot of people are now dead, including DK, and Detroit came within a whisker of getting the Chicago treatment. Also something ate 100k UCAS soldiers in an instant. Also also, some of the hybrid insect spirits can hold a proper conversation and are trying to make nice, and revealed that the insect plane is functionally infinite, and also teeming with insects. A lot of other very significant changes happen too; it was a pretty wild ride.

HOLY poo poo.

e: which splatbook is this?

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 10, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Just tell them we're not home.

That's when they deploy the most cunning of all techniques.

They'll say they're delivering a candygram.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

chiasaur11 posted:

That's when they deploy the most cunning of all techniques.

They'll say they're delivering a candygram.

Who could have predicted that the Astral Horrors were landsharks!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol

finally breaking through the veil, ready to devour humanity, is a blurred-out heavily redacted cosmic "terror" that each time someone tries to name they get cut off by loud noises

Make this be an actual, in-setting thing that happens.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I dont know posted:

I mean, the timelines also don't match up. The magic cycle is meant to last thousands of years. By the Earthdawn timeline, horrors aren't due in force for at least a few hundred. Shadowrun advances in parallel with real time.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

:capitalism: :smuggo:

HOLY poo poo.

e: which splatbook is this?

Cutting Black. Came out in January this year I think. And it gets even more :capitalism: in the bits I haven’t mentioned.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The Lone Badger posted:

Make this be an actual, in-setting thing that happens.

Lobotomy Corporation does something like that.

One of the monsters you have contained drives people insane just by looking at it. To prevent you from going insane, the interface just turns it into a massive block of censor bars. If it breaches and kills someone it turns the corpse into a smaller monster covered in yet more censor bars.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Beefeater1980 posted:

Latest splat book for Shadowrun has an update re insect spirits: don’t read if you don’t want to see spoilers on latest metaplot.

Is it true that this is the big incident that results in the UCAS withdrawing from the Business Recognition Accords? Because that was the HOLY poo poo thing I've heard about.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Is it true that this is the big incident that results in the UCAS withdrawing from the Business Recognition Accords? Because that was the HOLY poo poo thing I've heard about.

Yes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

Lobotomy Corporation does something like that.

One of the monsters you have contained drives people insane just by looking at it. To prevent you from going insane, the interface just turns it into a massive block of censor bars. If it breaches and kills someone it turns the corpse into a smaller monster covered in yet more censor bars.

Hmm, the corps could do that. Just install censorware in their employees cybereyes / cyberears etc that redacts the monsters out of existence. Deal with the unnameable horrors breaking into reality by just... not dealing with them. Accept a higher number of personnel disappearances as part of the cost of doing business and keep on keeping on.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CommissarMega posted:

wtf Shadowrun isn't allowed to have interesting repurcussions for things that happen

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

What does that UCAS spoiler mean?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It's the agreement between the nations of the world and the megacorporations that allows the corps extraterritoriality, or to be sovereign nations in and of themselves. If the UCAS doesn't recognize that, then they don't treat corps and their property as foreign countries.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
:aaa:

That's huge.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah, wow. That's a straight up rejection of one of the fundamental setting elements. I mean, there's a hell of a lot of plot setups there, but dang.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Effortpost incoming, covering updated metaplot:

it doesn’t last. But there is plenty of HOLY poo poo that spins off from it. It’s entertaining enough to be worth getting for a full read, but for anyone who is curious the main plot beats are:
- Detroit turns into Bug City 2 due to Ares screwing the pooch with insect spirit shenanigans
- The insects are beaten back with help from rogue firewatch units plus insect spirits that were reverse-possessed
- in the course of the battle, a giant rift explosion takes out the Ares board including Damian Knight. Arthur Vogel, a former board member, steps up as interim CEO
- something disappears the entire UCAS III Corps, 100k troops or so, in Pennsylvania on the way to Detroit. They seem to have been instantly killed in the astral plane? Maybe by an early horror? I have no idea.
- Ares announces it is leaving UCAS to relocate to the CAS
- UCAS revokes the business recognition accords.
- the Corporate Court acknowledges the decision. Shortly afterwards, someone simultaneously detonates multiple magic EMPs over about a dozen UCAS cities, zapping their matrix and causing a feeding frenzy of shadow spirits and toxic shamans.
- NAN and Quebec invade UCAS. Kentucky secedes. Seattle declares independence from UCAS. St Louis declares independence from UCAS
- UCAS re-signs even harsher version of the business recognition accords. President Colloton steps down.

A lot of other fairly significant stuff happens. It’s worth a read.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

poo poo, the Corp Court went Operation: Reciprocity on the UCAS. Also, isn’t Ares the main supplier for the UCAS military? Where in the CAS did they relocate to? And with St. Louis gone, the AA remains of Novatech post NeoNET breakup are no longer in UCAS territory too...

I assume Kentucky and St. Louis went and joined the CAS or did they go independent as well?
The CAS always did have that weird spur up into Missouri to grab East St. Louis and all that.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 11, 2020

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

UCAS should reply by loving nuking the Zurich Orbital, frankly.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's the level of response I would expect from the UCAS saying "no" to the corps.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Beefeater1980 posted:

Man, I was hoping the BRA withdrawal stuck; having actual sovereign nations as a counterbalance to the corps would have been interesting. I mean, yueah, it's cyberpunk, but still.

habeasdorkus posted:

UCAS should reply by loving nuking the Zurich Orbital, frankly.

They do that, they crash the global economy. It's pretty much a 'taking you with me' course of action.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Beefeater1980 posted:

it doesn’t last. But there is plenty of HOLY poo poo that spins off from it. It’s entertaining enough to be worth getting for a full read, but for anyone who is curious the main plot beats are:
- Detroit turns into Bug City 2 due to Ares screwing the pooch with insect spirit shenanigans
- The insects are beaten back with help from rogue firewatch units plus insect spirits that were reverse-possessed
- in the course of the battle, a giant rift explosion takes out the Ares board including Damian Knight. Arthur Vogel, a former board member, steps up as interim CEO
- something disappears the entire UCAS III Corps, 100k troops or so, in Pennsylvania on the way to Detroit. They seem to have been instantly killed in the astral plane? Maybe by an early horror? I have no idea.
- Ares announces it is leaving UCAS to relocate to the CAS
- UCAS revokes the business recognition accords.
- the Corporate Court acknowledges the decision. Shortly afterwards, someone simultaneously detonates multiple magic EMPs over about a dozen UCAS cities, zapping their matrix and causing a feeding frenzy of shadow spirits and toxic shamans.
- NAN and Quebec invade UCAS. Kentucky secedes. Seattle declares independence from UCAS. St Louis declares independence from UCAS
- UCAS re-signs even harsher version of the business recognition accords. President Colloton steps down.

A lot of other fairly significant stuff happens. It’s worth a read.

Important thing to remember about Shadowrun: The Corporate Court controls the orbitals.

Explains a lot really.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Can the horrors go to space or are they restricted to planetary surfaces? Wonder if mana fluctuates between solar systems and the horrors just muck about migrating between em.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

IIRC the horrors are stuck on earth. Worst case scenario is that they eat everything on earth, and the only thing left of humanity are the orbitals and the tiny Mars colony that Evo (i think) set up and which is probably not in any way self sustaining.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Man, I was hoping the BRA withdrawal stuck; having actual sovereign nations as a counterbalance to the corps would have been interesting. I mean, yueah, it's cyberpunk, but still.

Yeah, agreed. It makes sense for the setting for things to work out the way they do, but having nation-states as a partial counter-balance to corps would have been pretty interesting, especially since UCAS, even in its diminished state, was on par or greater in GDP./military firepower than the AAAs. And revoking the accords after what happened in Detroit, and Boston before that, and Chicago before THAT, makes a lot of sense from the point of view of anyone who's still got some level of nationalism left in their soul.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The secret players (immortals, dragons and conspiracies) of the world must be working overtime to prevent a global war. Because that would definitely get the horrors inside.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Meadowhill posted:

Can the horrors go to space or are they restricted to planetary surfaces? Wonder if mana fluctuates between solar systems and the horrors just muck about migrating between em.

The manasphere is generated by living things in great enough density, which for our purposes is close to the surface of the Earth. Mages don't like space or suborbital flight at all. There have been a few space stations designed to sustain enough plants and animals to generate a weak but tolerable manasphere, like the ones Ares built to explore the bug planes (wait... poo poo...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

habeasdorkus posted:

IIRC the horrors are stuck on earth. Worst case scenario is that they eat everything on earth, and the only thing left of humanity are the orbitals and the tiny Mars colony that Evo (i think) set up and which is probably not in any way self sustaining.

The Evo Gagarin colony is gone, since they all got CFD and became Monads. They assembled a probe and left to explore deep space.