Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1237206324506554368

Biden's got the connections to get things done, like stopping M4A in its tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Eej posted:

He's also bringing back the judicial filibuster.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

part of me wants biden to become president so that he does veto m4a and we can just have this poo poo out internally.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
VOTE BLUE NO MATT- ah gently caress it whatever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

in his own words, if you can follow them:

https://twitter.com/17kardiackids/status/1237202015186489344

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Biden's coasting to the nomination because people want back to "normal" - they're asking for a candidate made entirely of comfort food.

Support for Medicare for All entirely, completely depends on question wording. While M4A is absolutely the correct thing, idiot boomers loving love their health insurance, to the point where if you phrase the question "M4A, but you give up your private insurance?", they'll run for the loving hills. Poll "Medicare for All?" and you'll get a pretty resounding yes. Poll "Medicare for all, but an increase in taxes?", they run for the loving hills again, because M4A isn't a new war in the Middle East.

They're loving idiots and Biden knows that and is being told that. This thing's headed towards a public option / Medicare buy-in if Biden wins, and a complete destruction of Obamacare, with zero replacement strategy, if Trump wins.

It loving sucks and it's worth fighting. Just giving y'all a heads-up about it and why this is all happening.

Edit: And thus - https://twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/1237217712893579264

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
maaaaaaaan gently caress joe biden, stupid old bitch.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BaconAndBullets posted:

Can we root for COVID now? The real Greatest Generation will take a major hit but at least a good amount of boomers will go too.

The poor countries upstream of rich countries' supply chains are getting turbofucked by the increasing panic, untold millions there alone are/will be out of a job and thus out of a way for providing for themselves and their loved ones.

The health effects of the virus will - again - impact those countries with the poorest health-coverage the worst, compacting that effect. Some rich folks might kick the bucket, but the majority of them will be fine on account of being able to isolate themselves from Poors by self-quarantining with comparatively mild inconvenience while getting the best possible health care they can throw money at.

The markets crashing will lose rich investors some money, but they'll pull their poo poo, reinvest in High-Security prepper Portfolios for a while, and be fine. Them pulling their poo poo amplifies the adverse effect on the overall markets, and global markets plummeting from this affects - you guessed it - poorest countries disproportionately harder than rich folks.

"Rooting for Corona" is stupid as hell, and a really loving dumb meme at this point.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

But these PoC and/or women still gotta stand behind him, because Biden's gotta stand first

Kawasaki Nun posted:

maaaaaaaan gently caress joe biden, stupid old bitch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That's why I'm on Team Satan

Hail satan

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Has there been an outbreak on this level before in the US? I'm 29 and can't remember anything like this. The closest I can think of was swine flu from...10 years ago?

Edit: Not the thread I meant to post this in, but I think I'll get just as good an answer here as anywhere else.

The 1977 Russian flu was pretty big. Russian flu is kind of the opposite of Covid19 though because it almost entirely affected young people.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The poor countries upstream of rich countries' supply chains are getting turbofucked by the increasing panic, untold millions there alone are/will be out of a job and thus out of a way for providing for themselves and their loved ones.

The health effects of the virus will - again - impact those countries with the poorest health-coverage the worst, compacting that effect. Some rich folks might kick the bucket, but the majority of them will be fine on account of being able to isolate themselves from Poors by self-quarantining with comparatively mild inconvenience while getting the best possible health care they can throw money at.

The markets crashing will lose rich investors some money, but they'll pull their poo poo, reinvest in High-Security prepper Portfolios for a while, and be fine. Them pulling their poo poo amplifies the adverse effect on the overall markets, and global markets plummeting from this affects - you guessed it - poorest countries disproportionately harder than rich folks.

"Rooting for Corona" is stupid as hell, and a really loving dumb meme at this point.

Yeah but is it ok to root for corona to wipe out old Republicans who are saying "lol gently caress washing my hands its just the flu! Stupid liberal media deep state fuckers probably released this to make Trump look bad." ?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

The Democrats are going to nominate a Republican president :tif:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

poor people are all ages, but rich people are old. zuck is the only decabillionaire under 50 and the billionaires club has an average age of like 60

corona will kill millions of old poor people but also lots and lots of gerontocrats. already killing em in iran and itll get more in europe

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/aishaismad/status/1237220919317233664

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Eej posted:

gently caress it. I’m voting for Trump

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Okay not really. But gently caress Joe. He sucks rear end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If Donald Trump budges even an inch to the left on any issue, he will win in a landslide. That's the danger of centrism.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Erase Bernie's name from M4A and crayon in Trump. GOP dominates next last half century of American politics

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That is not exactly what he said:

https://twitter.com/7leaguebootdisk/status/1237236834645602304?s=20

I'll leave you to decide if what he actually said was better, or worse!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Hey, have you been sitting there thinking, "None of these ways to die are quite what I'm looking for?"

Well, good news, Jack! Surprise!

https://twitter.com/WeatherProf/status/1236885534796124160?s=19

HEAD START

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man if Biden wins it's gonna break so many brains.

If.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man if Biden wins it's gonna break so many brains.

If.

Not least his own.

I mean, more so.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

If Donald Trump budges even an inch to the left on any issue, he will win in a landslide. That's the danger of centrism.

God dammit, I'm sorry but I'm getting loving sick of this line of argument, A) because he won't and B) because he wouldn't.

For gently caress's sake, Trump won in 2016 in large part because he was a cipher people could project himself on. Since he didn't have a record, everything was speculative, and out of all the insane things that came out of his mouth people could latch on to what they liked and ignore the rest as "rhetoric," i.e. "Well, he said he'd built lots of infrastructure, which I like, and I'm sure he didn't really mean he'd ban all muslims." And since he was running against a candidate that not a lot of people were super jazzed about and everybody thought would win, tons of people stayed home or voted third party—ultimately leading to an extremely narrow win that boiled down to less than 1.5% of the vote across three states.

Trump going into 2020 is an extremely weak candidate in many ways, and that's because he has a record. He's got four years of budgets proposing to cut social security and medicare and gut national parks. He's stolen money from the military to build his wall while nearly getting us into war with Iran. He's badly mishandled an ongoing pandemic and the stock market is more volatile than ever. Our highways and bridges are crumbling while corporations spend billions on stock buybacks funded by cut taxes, and the deficit has completely exploded. The previous Republican candidate for President voted to impeach him, and he only remains in office due to Republican senators too scared or corrupt to get rid of him. There are a billion things that he can be attacked on through the election into November, all things he actively did or had done under his watch, all of which can be easily contrasted to the relative stability and security of the Obama administration, of which Joe Biden was a centerpiece. Assuming that Trump is just going to waltz away with the election is loving stupid and ignores literally every goddamn thing that's happened in the past four years, let alone why he won in 2016.

Like,

Milo and POTUS posted:

Erase Bernie's name from M4A and crayon in Trump. GOP dominates next last half century of American politics

Why would the GOP do this? Their entire raison d'etre is to make money for themselves and their donors, which M4A (Or even Biden's plan!) would very explicitly not do. And even if they decided to, you know, not be Republicans, there's still all the other loving awful disruptive poo poo they've done in the past four years!

Bernie Sanders is a good man and a good politician with good ideas who deserves a shot at the White House and to make America the country it needs to be. He is not a savior, and is not magically the only person who can beat Trump. Believing he is is a great way to leap down into some insane rabbit holes and end up despondent if he fails to secure the nomination, and ignores the very real challenges he'd face in the general.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
In good Covid news:

https://twitter.com/ademrudin/status/1236883760508891138?s=21

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

God dammit, I'm sorry but I'm getting loving sick of this line of argument, A) because he won't and B) because he wouldn't.

For gently caress's sake, Trump won in 2016 in large part because he was a cipher people could project himself on. Since he didn't have a record, everything was speculative, and out of all the insane things that came out of his mouth people could latch on to what they liked and ignore the rest as "rhetoric," i.e. "Well, he said he'd built lots of infrastructure, which I like, and I'm sure he didn't really mean he'd ban all muslims." And since he was running against a candidate that not a lot of people were super jazzed about and everybody thought would win, tons of people stayed home or voted third party—ultimately leading to an extremely narrow win that boiled down to less than 1.5% of the vote across three states.

Trump going into 2020 is an extremely weak candidate in many ways, and that's because he has a record. He's got four years of budgets proposing to cut social security and medicare and gut national parks. He's stolen money from the military to build his wall while nearly getting us into war with Iran. He's badly mishandled an ongoing pandemic and the stock market is more volatile than ever. Our highways and bridges are crumbling while corporations spend billions on stock buybacks funded by cut taxes, and the deficit has completely exploded. The previous Republican candidate for President voted to impeach him, and he only remains in office due to Republican senators too scared or corrupt to get rid of him. There are a billion things that he can be attacked on through the election into November, all things he actively did or had done under his watch, all of which can be easily contrasted to the relative stability and security of the Obama administration, of which Joe Biden was a centerpiece. Assuming that Trump is just going to waltz away with the election is loving stupid and ignores literally every goddamn thing that's happened in the past four years, let alone why he won in 2016.

Like,

Why would the GOP do this? Their entire raison d'etre is to make money for themselves and their donors, which M4A (Or even Biden's plan!) would very explicitly not do. And even if they decided to, you know, not be Republicans, there's still all the other loving awful disruptive poo poo they've done in the past four years!

Bernie Sanders is a good man and a good politician with good ideas who deserves a shot at the White House and to make America the country it needs to be. He is not a savior, and is not magically the only person who can beat Trump. Believing he is is a great way to leap down into some insane rabbit holes and end up despondent if he fails to secure the nomination, and ignores the very real challenges he'd face in the general.

the GOP wouldn't trump would. He has no ideology and beyond that doesn't care. If Biden wants to cut social security trump would say the opposite because he likes being contrarian to his enemies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Like,

You're right, everyone can obviously see that Trump is bad, so there's no way he'll ever get elected. I mean reelected.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He knows healthcare is run by rich people, and M4A would make those rich people less rich.

There's zero risk of Trump loving with that math.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MrMojok posted:

That is not exactly what he said:

https://twitter.com/7leaguebootdisk/status/1237236834645602304?s=20

I'll leave you to decide if what he actually said was better, or worse!

This answer shouldn't surprise anyone, especially since he doesn't even outright say he would veto M4A unilaterally—he just repeats the criticisms he's brought up at literally every one of the debates over the past year, just phrased slightly differently in response to the specific question: "medicare for all is expensive, it'll raise middle class taxes which I'm against, I want to work through the existing healthcare law to expand coverage now rather than blow up the entire system."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Like yeah, I really hope you're right that he would never do something like that, but the fact that the Democrats are even giving him the opportunity is loving terrifying.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

You're right, everyone can obviously see that Trump is bad, so there's no way he'll ever get elected. I mean reelected.

ah yes, thank you for carefully reading and responding to the specific point I was making on how the criticisms of trump in 2020 are fundamentally different from 2016, so glad to have this debate with you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

ah yes, thank you for carefully reading and responding to the specific point I was making on how the criticisms of trump in 2020 are fundamentally different from 2016, so glad to have this debate with you

:nallears:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm sorry, I'm just really frustrated and this constant "trump is unstoppable" talk feels like it's divorced from reality. Maybe it's just because I've got a long political memory (Ironic, considering I can't remember loving anything else :v:), but I can distinctly remember the Republicans trying (and failing!) to repeal Obamacare in 2017, and there's a Supreme Court hearing on Obamacare coming out later this year—no matter what Trump says, the facts of what he's actually done are there for anyone to see (And anyone with half a brain and a mid-sized advertising budget to project to the world), which is fundamentally different from 2016, no matter what Trump says.

You're frustrated, I'm frustrated, with both want the same thing, I'm definitely dropping a vote for the Bern-Man tomorrow, and I'm sorry to go off on you about it. But christ, this kind of talk just really gnaws at me and everything I know and studied about politics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think he's unstoppable. But I do think that the Dems are throwing away literally every tool they could use to stop him.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There are a lot of really good points here, and we all should have faith. To these points I would add that also, MeToo happened, and I have a feeling a lot of women have gotten really sick of his poo poo. For every boomer MAGAwoman freak who says Trump can grab their pussy any time, I think there are a whole lot more who are disgusted with him. If women abandon him in large numbers, he's hosed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Like,

I didn't say he'd do it.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Something my missus brought up is that there are current fears that corona virus is similar to herpes in that it’ll stay in your system.

So if you catch it, you could potentially have it dormant and possibly flaring up again at some point in the future.

So, try not to get it I guess.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If that's the case, you won't be able to vaccinate against it either.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

If that's the case, you won't be able to vaccinate against it either.

You can vaccinate against the varicella virus, which is just a form of herpes really. That poo poo hides in your nerve roots. Still yet, vaccinations are available. Only reason I know that is I recently got vaccinated for it, after dealing with Shingles a bunch in my 20’s and 30’s.

What makes you think this can’t be vaccinated against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People are freaking out about it enough as it is, maybe don't spread unfounded rumors?