Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

roomforthetuna posted:

The Brave and the Bold episode that opens on them watching a stage-show musical of Adam West style Batman is amazing.

They did that joke a second time after Batman Beyond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Bruceski posted:

I haven't seen that particular episode of Brave and the Bold, but the jokey stage show from Batman Beyond pretty much is Brave and the Bold, but gloriously fun?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Bruceski posted:

Oh, you're probably right, it just felt like Brave and the Bold! Was it Aquaman that did some Brave and Bold singing?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

Oh, you're probably right, it just felt like Brave and the Bold! Was it Aquaman that did some Brave and Bold singing?

One of them at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMIuvZXQu4 There was also a Music Meister full-musical episode. Not sure how many others there were.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah they had John DiMaggio sing multiple times.

Also apparently they're now doing an unscripted pen and paper RPG show executive produced by Freddie Prinze Jr and Sam Witwer with nerd celebrities like Xavier Woods.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this! posted:

Also apparently they're now doing an unscripted pen and paper RPG show executive produced by Freddie Prinze Jr and Sam Witwer with nerd celebrities like Xavier Woods.

What is this show called?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
"DC Universe All Star Games"

https://www.cbr.com/dc-universe-all-star-games-freddie-prinze-jr-rpg-love/

https://www.ign.com/articles/how-freddie-prinze-jr-went-from-detention-to-a-new-dc-universe-show

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 29, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Neat! Now that I've finished Harley Quinn, When I saw the Renegade Cut video talk about how ivy dies, I figured it would look like she died but then it would be hinted she would be fine for season 2. Nope, she comes back even sooner.

I'd really love to see Lake Bell play this version of Ivy in live action.

Was Harley Jewish before?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

twistedmentat posted:

Was Harley Jewish before?

She always has been. I think even in the animated series, she talked about her bubbe once or twice. Also, she'd use Yiddish words occasionally - like in "World's Finest," she tells the antique shop owner that he has to see what she's got - "you'll plotz!"

Now, not quite sure about the alternate/'fake' Harley from the Arkham games, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 29, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oddly enough the BTAS Joker also used some Jewish slang on occasion, possibly more as a nod to vaudeville routines.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I believe Yiddish terms like that were also part of the vernacular of some New York accents at the time, regardless of how white the speaker was.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The first episode was actually pretty fun. Xavier Woods is really getting into it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The first episode was actually pretty fun. Xavier Woods is really getting into it.

They are a real-life group, I believe, even if this campaign is brand new. So they should already have friend-chemistry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sam Witwer is a legit D&D nerd as he helped write a book on the history of the game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough the BTAS Joker also used some Jewish slang on occasion, possibly more as a nod to vaudeville routines.

Yea that felt very Borsch Belt when Joker says it.

I can't look at Sam Witwer and not see Agent Liberty.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She always has been.

I chuckled when Sharon told her all she wanted was for Harley to marry a doctor ("I AM a doctor, ma!") since Ivy's a doctor.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I meant a medical doctor, honey. :v:

You know, like a surgeon.

A man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gonna rewatch Batman vs Ninja Turtles again, that was really fun. And kinda funny that it basically mixed the two different crossover comics they had.

The characters they use play off each other interestingly; Barbara Gorden and Damian Wayne as Batgirl and Robin makes an interesting mix, as well as playing off the TMNT. Generally a smart move to make both sets of characters from each franchise not explicitly any particular show's depiction of them but to mix together a bunch of things into what works. (and they're presented as living in the same universe, which is also usually a smart move for stand-alone crossovers)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Just come up recommended to me via the mysterious powers of Google, TVLine reports that Stargirl will be starting on DC Universe on the 11th of May, with it showing on CW 12th of May.

quote:

Stargirl is finally landing this spring. The latest addition to DC Universe’s live-action roster will premiere on Monday, May 11, TVLine has learned. New episodes will become available to stream every Monday thereafter.

As previously reported, Stargirl will also have a home on The CW: The series premiere will make its broadcast TV debut on Tuesday, May 12 (9/8c). Stargirl will remain in that time slot until Tuesday, May 26, when it officially moves to 8 pm.

Per the series’ official description, Stargirl “follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore as she moves to Blue Valley, Nebraska … and inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past.”

There's been a trailer out for a month, doesn't show much - Starman, presumably Ted Knight, has died, in some sort of attack, with the staff ending up in the hands of Pat Dugan and family which Courtney Whitmoore finds and bonds with. Footage just shows her punking on some rando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5Xv7QcgkM

Wikipedia has a list of the cast, with both original and "II" versions of Wildcat, Doctor Midnight and Hourman, although they aren't the wackier 'II' versions of them - so no werecats or robots. ☹️

Edit: Just found another trailer released around the same time that shows a lot more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBisLNhV0w

Facing off against Dragon King (in the cloth bag), Tigress, Sportsmaster, Icicle and 2 other people, a fairly bland white guy who could well be over a dozen different villains the Society has faced in the comics and a big fuzzy-looking monster. Blockbuster? The Ultra-Humanite? I dunno.

But S.T.R.I.P.E.S!

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 5, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trailer for Harley s2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-vUPjL-qn4
Warning, kind of violent.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Could be worse. My nose could be gushing blood

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I signed up for the DC Universe free trial. If I cancel my subscription can I still watch stuff for the next 7 days?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Currently in the middle of episode 2 and REALLY not feeling it. Should I jump out?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

punk rebel ecks posted:

Currently in the middle of episode 2 and REALLY not feeling it. Should I jump out?

Mmmm, no. Four episode rule for half-hour shows. And this one relies on her crew, heavily. You'll meet them next.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I thought the bar mitzvah episode was the weakest. Looking at the episode list - give it a couple more episodes, but if 3&4 don't do it for you, drop it without hesitation.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, if you're not feeling it after the nemesis talk show debacle, it ain't for you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Trailer for Harley s2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-vUPjL-qn4
Warning, kind of violent.

Interestingly it looks like Harley's learned a thing or two from Batman.

Actually might be a trend, given Harley and Batman had pretty much the exact same summarisation of the Joker's personality issues. And well, they are both highly intelligent, physically skilled and make a point of understanding people's mindsets and idiosyncrasies to predict what they're going to do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I do wonder if being a world class gymnast would make you be able to kick peoples asses.

It's pretty impressive that season 2 is coming so quickly. Or did this get released ages ago and only blew up recently?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Interestingly it looks like Harley's learned a thing or two from Batman.

Actually might be a trend, given Harley and Batman had pretty much the exact same summarisation of the Joker's personality issues. And well, they are both highly intelligent, physically skilled and make a point of understanding people's mindsets and idiosyncrasies to predict what they're going to do.

I actually hope there is an episode where Harley and Batman are hanging out, This Batman seems a lot like TAS one, sort of a sequel to that episode where harley tries to go straight.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

twistedmentat posted:

It's pretty impressive that season 2 is coming so quickly. Or did this get released ages ago and only blew up recently?

It was released at the very end of November but as a weekly thing, not a 'All at once' Netflix-esque binge. They actually ordered 26 episodes from the very beginning and the producers decided to make a pair of 13 episode seasons instead of one big 26 episode season.

I think it blew up after the first season concluded and people could finally binge it. Birds of Prey might've helped too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Am reminded of that episode where Batman reluctantly teams up with Harley to track down the Joker, and she's surprisingly enthusiastic about working with him. Like a really messed up kind of Batgirl.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Doing that "my fellow whites" scene right at the beginning was a marketing masterstroke, as it kept a thread up on 4chan /co/ for two weeks straight moaning about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BlackIronHeart posted:

It was released at the very end of November but as a weekly thing, not a 'All at once' Netflix-esque binge. They actually ordered 26 episodes from the very beginning and the producers decided to make a pair of 13 episode seasons instead of one big 26 episode season.

I think it blew up after the first season concluded and people could finally binge it. Birds of Prey might've helped too.

November -> April isn't really that long either, but if its really just the back half of the first episode order, that's fine.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Isn't Harley basically a Batman side-kick in current comics, anyway? And not just in Injustice, but the main continuity?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Isn't Harley basically a Batman side-kick in current comics, anyway? And not just in Injustice, but the main continuity?

I think so, and she's been a half-assed hero for years now, from what I understand.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's kinda cool, actually. Everyone - men and women, straight and gay - were so thirsty for this lady clown/minor sidekick in a tie-in animation series, that she rapidly spread to all other versions of their IP, switched from villain to anti-hero and became the third most popular character in their whole universe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Randaconda posted:

I think so, and she's been a half-assed hero for years now, from what I understand.

She has an ongoing that's not in main continuity and her appearances in main continuity are with the Suicide Squad. She's recently showed up in another book, but helping Catwoman. She was also involved in the HiC event where she was one of the assumed perpetrators but was actually innocent.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

November -> April isn't really that long either, but if its really just the back half of the first episode order, that's fine.

Yeah. Animation, especially with American style recording/animation schedules, have a long turnaround compared to live action. But once you fill the pipeline you can keep the episodes rolling steadily.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's interesting how popular she is being that she got her start as a "filler" character as she wasn't in the comics before Batman TAS.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I kind of like Harley's look in this. It's a lot sleeker, cleaner, and more superhero-comic than her original New 52 redesign, and successfully conveys her character concept (murderously insane pro gymnast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's interesting how popular she is being that she got her start as a "filler" character as she wasn't in the comics before Batman TAS.

Part of it is Paul Dini promoting his original character on a popular show. Another part is that nerds got horny for her in conjunction with that.