Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Yeah, Harley is definitely not as overexposed as Batman, as far as the comics go. They've been shockingly good about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vandar posted:

Yeah, Harley is definitely not as overexposed as Batman, as far as the comics go. They've been shockingly good about that.

Harley Quinn doesn't sell that well, so it never quite got to the level of Marvel's hubris of having three Deadpool ongoing at the same time a few years ago. Her solo book has been consistently pretty fun and good for years, but I have not liked almost any of her other appearances otherwise since N52 started. Her as just the Joker-Lite in Suicide Squad was fine but not really a good version of the character outside that specific context.

Just as a reminder the month before her solo book started, DC had Harley Quinn explicitly kill a bunch of children in Gotham with exploding gameboys. So dark and adult! Great lead in to a genuinely good comedy book!

E: Current Suicide Squad rules though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When is Harley going to be a Robin? Weren't we supposed to have a ROBIN WAR?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Picture Removed

Mod Note: Please do not post pictures with links to piracy websites watermarked on them.

Lmao. goddamn it Lobdell why must you remind us of your terrible creation.

Edit: Strange Adventures looks to be a veiled Mid East War Hero story.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 5, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Veiled is an interesting way to put it. I did really like it. Having two kinds of art really works.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1235339138972479496
Honestly surprised it's taken this long for The Sandman to get the audio book treatment

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Strange Adventures is going to turn out to be about Chris Kyle

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of appreciated how in the latest Batman they try to explain how Joker went from "silly clown themed villain to homicidal demi-god". I am glad someone is at least acknowledging it.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Madkal posted:

I kind of appreciated how in the latest Batman they try to explain how Joker went from "silly clown themed villain to homicidal demi-god". I am glad someone is at least acknowledging it.

I think that transition is a overstated. In the Joker's first appearance he was poisoning people to death with Joker gas. Sure, he went soft along with everyone else when the comics code came into effect, and went back to being a brutal killer once that went away, but I don't see how that's any different than with any other villain. The comic was fun but it really overstated how much the villains have "evolved."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 6, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The whole thing didn't make much sense if you looked at it, it simultaneously tried to do the meta-Neil Gaiman thing of "what happened to the bright carefree capers of the olden days?" thing from that Riddler Secret Origin story he did in the early 1990s. That only makes sense if you pull some sort of "old murderous Batman comics were Earth-2, the original Batman stories on Earth-1 were all the Silver Age silly ones!"

But the story also makes explicit repeated mentions of things that would put it in line with the modern-ish retelling of Batman's early days from like Year One and Long Halloween, and I would assume Zero Year and The War of Jokes and Riddles and etc. So the basic timeline they're proposing is:

Zero Year: Riddler takes over the whole city and probably kills many thousands of people
Year One/Long Halloween: A gang war and a serial killer result in dozens if not hundreds of deaths, Joker attempts to kill an entire neighborhood to root out the "other homicidal maniac"
Year Two/The War of Jokes and Riddles: Joker and Riddler have a gang war with deaths in the four figures easily
Year Three: Robin joins Batman, no one's a killer and everything is light capers and fun

I am sure I am missing a few mass murders in the timeline but I feel like having at least half of the people Designer "upgrades" already having death counts in the thousands undermines the whole concept a bit.

Also: what kind of "little kid designing a video game"/Mark Millar garbage is "your plan is a Level 3 complexity, but with my help you can make it Level 12." "OH NO JOKER CAME UP WITH A LEVEL 15 COMPLEX MURDER SCHEME, HE'S OUT OF CONTROL"?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

Also: what kind of "little kid designing a video game"/Mark Millar garbage is "your plan is a Level 3 complexity, but with my help you can make it Level 12." "OH NO JOKER CAME UP WITH A LEVEL 15 COMPLEX MURDER SCHEME, HE'S OUT OF CONTROL"?

For each trope you deploy or person you kill, that's another level of complexity. Batman's saving roll is equal to the complexity level but he can use his Intelligence(Gotham) modifier

I assumed the author meant it as the ridiculous pomposity of a supervillain who actually managed to kill the hero and now has to live vicariously through others who are still in the fight. The end of the comic shows that he's not the Machiavellian super-genius he thinks he is.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think that transition is a overstated. In the Joker's first appearance he was poisoning people to death with Joker gas. Sure, he went soft along with everyone else when the comics code came into effect, and went back to being a brutal killer once that went away, but I don't see how that's any different than with any other villain. The comic was fun but it really overstated how much the villains have "evolved."

I think it is more a trend of modern writers (hello Snyder) trying to make Joker super edgy. Sure he poisoned people in the past, but now he is racking up kill counts in the dozens. Sure he used Joker gassed a lot of people but now he is using their body parts to spell his name or some such bullshit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Every book being Batman, and all this hype for Punchline has really soured me on the direct market.

Besides the X books, and now Strange Adventures, I just don’t care about monthly books anymore.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

Every book being Batman, and all this hype for Punchline has really soured me on the direct market.

The Punchline hype is definitely all speculators. I have had zero customers beyond the speculators mention her at all, except for a few horny Artgerm fans that want 92 just for the cover.

I would be shocked if Punchline exists in a meaningful way in a year. One the other hand if this was Marvel they would have already announced a new ongoing series about her.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

That's how crime works on Colu, the Designer was just trying to get in on the LoSH hype.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rereading Batman: The Cult and it is so good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

I think it is more a trend of modern writers (hello Snyder) trying to make Joker super edgy. Sure he poisoned people in the past, but now he is racking up kill counts in the dozens. Sure he used Joker gassed a lot of people but now he is using their body parts to spell his name or some such bullshit.

I keep saying this, but the Joker isn't the Joker if there isn't the possibility that he won't kill someone.

Like, sometimes the flower that squirts water should just be water and not acid. Or he should find it just as funny to knock some ice cream out of a kid's hand as to murder his family. It's so much more interesting when he's just as apt to pull a harmless prank as he is to kill someone.

Like in Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? when he tells a kid he doesn't randomly kill people, but only when it's funny.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, a lot of it has to do with Nolan's Joker as well. That pretty much solidified the mainstream impression of Joker as a calculating serial terrorist, even though it had appeared sporadically in comics before then (the "hidden bomb in the minions' stomach at the police station" scene is basically verbatim from Gotham Central).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Joker quit killing people in the late 40s and I am up to about '64 across the Batman, Detective comics, and World's finest and he has not started to kill again. I am nearing close to 20 years without a Joker related murder.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Mr Hootington posted:

Joker quit killing people in the late 40s and I am up to about '64 across the Batman, Detective comics, and World's finest and he has not started to kill again. I am nearing close to 20 years without a Joker related murder.

I'm curious if you're distinguishing between "killing" and "trying to kill" because I feel like there can still be a pretty broad array of tones under the broader umbrella of "not killing." Murdering vs. Murderous, no Nobel Prize for Attempted Chemistry, etc. Because I know that on TV, at least, even if the Romero Joker didn't succeed at killing anyone some of his various gadgets iirc were still established pretty explicitly as being at least theoretically deadly.

I'm asking because 1) I'd never have the fortitude to actually read all of the Batman comics chronologically like you're doing and 2) I'm actually really curious as to whether there are outliers pointing back towards his more murderous Golden Age persona before the famous sea-change of Batman #251 buried amidst the relative obscurities of the era.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm curious if you're distinguishing between "killing" and "trying to kill" because I feel like there can still be a pretty broad array of tones under the broader umbrella of "not killing." Murdering vs. Murderous, no Nobel Prize for Attempted Chemistry, etc. Because I know that on TV, at least, even if the Romero Joker didn't succeed at killing anyone some of his various gadgets iirc were still established pretty explicitly as being at least theoretically deadly.

I'm asking because 1) I'd never have the fortitude to actually read all of the Batman comics chronologically like you're doing and 2) I'm actually really curious as to whether there are outliers pointing back towards his more murderous Golden Age persona before the famous sea-change of Batman #251 buried amidst the relative obscurities of the era.

He tries to kill Batman and Robin with elaborate traps, but nobody else. I have not gotten to #251 yet.

Edit: Golden Age Joker does not start out insane. He is driven insane by Batman in the early 50s sometime.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 8, 2020

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Hootington posted:

Wouldn’t that have to do a lot with the cca?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bobkatt013 posted:

Wouldn’t that have to do a lot with the cca?
The big push spearheaded by Wertham -- Seduction of the Innocent, the Kefauver Hearings, the Comics Code being established -- all happened in 1954, though admittedly Wertham had been stumping about a connection between comics and juvenile delinquency for like five years prior to that, and other people were doing it almost immediately after comics became a thing (though that was just a lot of rollover from pulp fiction and penny dreadfuls and etc. being brain rotting not-proper-literature too)

It's possible that DC started toning everything down ahead of the curve, I honestly don't know that much about their content from the period running up to the CCA being established, but in general comics were still chock full of mobsters and maniacs shooting guns everywhere up until 1954.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

The big push spearheaded by Wertham -- Seduction of the Innocent, the Kefauver Hearings, the Comics Code being established -- all happened in 1954, though admittedly Wertham had been stumping about a connection between comics and juvenile delinquency for like five years prior to that, and other people were doing it almost immediately after comics became a thing (though that was just a lot of rollover from pulp fiction and penny dreadfuls and etc. being brain rotting not-proper-literature too)

It's possible that DC started toning everything down ahead of the curve, I honestly don't know that much about their content from the period running up to the CCA being established, but in general comics were still chock full of mobsters and maniacs shooting guns everywhere up until 1954.

Yes and in a lot of early Batman stories the mobsters die or were "given the chair". Penguin and Joker both killed people in their first few appearances, but unlike others they never died or were sentences to the chair. They either were "locked away for a long time" or appeared to die. In the late 40s they became gimmick villains.

Interestingly you didn't see the emergence of gimmick villains beyond The Joker until the '62 to '64 because of letters pages blowing up with people saying they love Joker, catwoman, penguin, clayface, riddler, mirror master, polka dot man, signalman, and so on.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
OK, complain all you want about everything else everybody, but Lois Lane is SO GOOD.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

One more!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

I mean, seriously, whatever else you may or may not feel about the Bendis run at DC, the ancillary titles have just been ON FIRE. Thanks to Bendis, we also got Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Wonder Twins, and Dial H for Hero, and they're all series that I've LOVED.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Speak posted:

I mean, seriously, whatever else you may or may not feel about the Bendis run at DC, the ancillary titles have just been ON FIRE. Thanks to Bendis, we also got Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Wonder Twins, and Dial H for Hero, and they're all series that I've LOVED.

They should 100 percent put Mark Russel on Justice League. All his DC work has been stellar, and if anyone can even come close to the tone Giffen/ DeMatteis run(the pinnacle of all team books) it is him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do you think DC wants their flagship team book to be a comedy?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I showed this to my partner who is a journalist. She appreciated it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Do you think DC wants their flagship team book to be a comedy?

No, but Justice League has also not generally been a good book either. There have been some bright spots, but it is almost always at the level where it is something you ready because a character or two you like is in it and not because it is particularly good itself.

I want to see my favorite DC characters have interesting relationships with each other, not just be coworkers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

They should 100 percent put Mark Russel on Justice League. All his DC work has been stellar, and if anyone can even come close to the tone Giffen/ DeMatteis run(the pinnacle of all team books) it is him.

It would be better if a tentpole book like Justice League was readable. So I'll give a no vote on this one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
JL3k was a fun-rear end book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

JL3k was a fun-rear end book.

:hmmyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

It would be better if a tentpole book like Justice League was readable. So I'll give a no vote on this one.

I didn't mind the idea of Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter having a kid who was Important, but it didn't feel like they had a lot to do with each other after. Certainly they didn't have any chemistry as somebody here pointed out a while ago.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Late, but Superman: Villains was solid, particularly the Lex double page.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mariko Tamaki is on Wonder Woman starting at 759

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Speak posted:

Lois Lane is Greg Rucka and Jimmy Timmy Olsen is Matt Fraction. e: and I guess Wonder Twins is Mark Russell, but I haven't read that one, even though I know it's probably some ironic deconstruction of Superfriends nostalgia or something I'd hate myself for liking

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 10, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

Lois Lane is Greg Rucka and Jimmy Timmy Olsen is Matt Fraction. e: and I guess Wonder Twins is Mark Russell, but I haven't read that one, even though I know it's probably some ironic deconstruction of Superfriends nostalgia or something I'd hate myself for liking

Wonder Twins has nothing to do with the Superfriends despite what you'd thing. It's more about racial and social injustice and discrimination than any lampooning or even reference of the 60s JL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Wonder Twins is loving great

you should read it

that is all