Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mantari posted:

Just started playing Xcom 2 as my first Xcom game, is saving every couple of rounds and reloading after a dead recruit/bad turn/missed 80% shot the correct way to play the game or am I being too pedantic?
I'm getting a lot of my dudes out gravely wounded and having to hire more recruits, will that screw me over in the long run having too many recruits?

You do you, and a game where you reload after experimenting to see how the rules work out can be a great way to learn, but I found my games went a lot faster and I had a lot more fun when I stopped savescumming. I also engaged with more mechanics and generally realized how well-designed it is over all.

You'll need like 18 soldiers at least anyway, might as well start now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mantari posted:

Just started playing Xcom 2 as my first Xcom game, is saving every couple of rounds and reloading after a dead recruit/bad turn/missed 80% shot the correct way to play the game or am I being too pedantic?
I'm getting a lot of my dudes out gravely wounded and having to hire more recruits, will that screw me over in the long run having too many recruits?

gently caress up, reload, learn some tricks the enemy has, learn some cool things you'll get later. What's that flare mean? Go find out! If it doesn't work out then it's cool to have a do-over.

Then, if you want, maybe restart and go "for real" with more confidence in yourself and knowledge of the game systems. Allow yourself some mistakes but don't make the game an unfun grind unless going perfectionist is for you.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Jabor posted:

(You want to know how often you'll miss an 80% shot? 20% of the time.)

Not strictly true. Doesn't x-com 2 have to hit number padding/streak breakers? I seem to remember hte first mod I ever got was the 'stop fudging the aim rolls' one.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Personally, I played my first few XCOM games without save summing, because getting dunked on by some new alien and then figuring poo poo out for next time is part of the fun, as is trying to fight out of a "gonna lose the entire game" situation (and sometimes loving and having to start all over).

But if that doesn't sound fun, then don't do that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheParadigm posted:

Not strictly true. Doesn't x-com 2 have to hit number padding/streak breakers? I seem to remember hte first mod I ever got was the 'stop fudging the aim rolls' one.

Only if you missed the previous "good" shot you took.

So, the odds of hitting every shot on your turn is essentially unchanged - it's your odds of missing multiple shots in a row that are lower than the math would suggest.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TheParadigm posted:

Yes? I think it was disabled on Classic in XCOM1, but you need to go all the way up to Legendary in XCOM2 which is horseshit imo, let people just play the game.

Shine posted:

Personally, I played my first few XCOM games without save summing, because getting dunked on by some new alien and then figuring poo poo out for next time is part of the fun, as is trying to fight out of a "gonna lose the entire game" situation (and sometimes loving and having to start all over).

But if that doesn't sound fun, then don't do that.

nuXCOM is cursed by its own success, where people are trying it out who aren't normally a fan of the genre. Good problem to have tbqh.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good cosmetic-only weapon pack that's not completely stupid-huge and memory-devouring like the Resistance Firearms pack? Considering I'm already having loading times longer than I would prefer, I'd rather not sink 3.5 gigs into cosmetic weapons... but I'd still like something nice.

There are several that I was going to use, but then realized the guns either had to be upgraded separately, or outright had separate stats with no simple "make weapon cosmetic" ini options. Or both! And I'd rather not go diving *that* heavily into ini editting if I can avoid it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mantari posted:

That's a really bad way to play, especially with the load times. It sounds like you're playing a little too aggressively imo.
Couple of rookie pointers to help out:

You will miss easy shots, so make sure you never put yourself in a position where you'll be exposed if you miss and out of options. So don't make that 80% flank with your shotgunner as your last action, make it as your first, and make sure they if they miss you can chuck a couple of grenades or a sniper shot to keep them safe by taking out the enemy they missed.

The primary purpose of grenades is to destroy enemies cover. Damaging enemies is a happy bonus. They are however guaranteed damage, so you can rely on them if you need a damaged enemy gone and can't risk a shot.

Know when to use overwatch. If an enemy can see a character in overwatch, they are less likely to move, and more likely to shoot. This can create a situation where you put your troops in more danger. It's often better to take a low probability shot, or even hunker down if the enemy isn't at risk of flanking a soldier.

Half-cover is better than nothing, but it offers very little protection. Always prioritise full cover.

They can't shoot what they can't see. If you can get a guy out of line of sight of the enemy then they are very safe. Very useful if you accidentally have a vulnerable character pull a pod by mistake.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Mantari posted:

I'm on my first play through and was doing a lot of this to start. It's hard to determine how many turns it will take to get to an objective without experience, and I'm terrified of timers, so I ended up taking way too many risks to push hard.

It was the beserker queen that broke my bad habit. I quickly realized I was supposed to get stomped and take massive injuries, so I stopped reloading and was happy to evac with two unconscious dudes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Something that's worth focusing on as well is our perception of randomness. XCom opened a lot of people's eyes to the fact that we have, as a species, an absolutely pisspoor understanding of percentages. Almost everyone rounds up 80% or higher to 100%. Missing an 80% shot then feels like you were cheated, despite the fact that should expect to miss one out of every five of them.

Getting good at XCom involves deleting this from your mind. To a veteran, an 80% will feel the way a 60% does to you now. It's a change that happens to everyone that gets into the game, to the point that it's a meme on the XCom Reddit.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good cosmetic-only weapon pack that's not completely stupid-huge and memory-devouring like the Resistance Firearms pack? Considering I'm already having loading times longer than I would prefer, I'd rather not sink 3.5 gigs into cosmetic weapons... but I'd still like something nice.

There are several that I was going to use, but then realized the guns either had to be upgraded separately, or outright had separate stats with no simple "make weapon cosmetic" ini options. Or both! And I'd rather not go diving *that* heavily into ini editting if I can avoid it.

Short Answer: You're basically SOL in terms of those parameters. The resistance pack (And most packs by sigma3245) are multiple weapon packs that have shitloads of models. Try the Insurgency Pack (Assets here) I guess, it's only 300 MB.

Lord_Poncho57 has some weapons packs if you're looking for Mass Effect, Star Wars or Planetside Weapons, HotChocletyLez has Halo Weapons and and actually a pretty nice cosmetic bullpup, maybe? oh, and vektor crossbows, I think?

Sadly more than a few of them almost certainly have seperate schematics that require upgrading, but I have... a solution, provided you're willing to do some ini coding work.

Iridar's Weapons Skin Replacer (and it's seperate configuration file here) might be the solution that you're looking for, because you can change weapon templates to be upgraded by different schematics.

For example, here's where I set the Shadowkeeper Pistol, the Hunter Axe and the Bolt Caster to upgrade off the base Pistol, Sword and Sniper Rifle schematic, respectively.

That's really the only options I could give, but it is easier than editing all those inis themselves.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 9, 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torchlighter posted:

Short Answer: You're basically SOL in terms of those parameters. The resistance pack (And most packs by sigma3245) are multiple weapon packs that have shitloads of models. Try the Insurgency Pack (Assets here) I guess, it's only 300 MB.

Lord_Poncho57 has some weapons packs if you're looking for Mass Effect, Star Wars or Planetside Weapons, HotChocletyLez has Halo Weapons and and actually a pretty nice cosmetic bullpup, maybe? oh, and vektor crossbows, I think?

Sadly more than a few of them almost certainly have seperate schematics that require upgrading, but I have... a solution, provided you're willing to do some ini coding work.

Iridar's Weapons Skin Replacer (and it's seperate configuration file here) might be the solution that you're looking for, because you can change weapon templates to be upgraded by different schematics.

For example, here's where I set the Shadowkeeper Pistol, the Hunter Axe and the Bolt Caster to upgrade off the base Pistol, Sword and Sniper Rifle schematic, respectively.

That's really the only options I could give, but it is easier than editing all those inis themselves.

In regards to weapons with different stats from the base, I know some weapon-adding mods have a .ini option that's literally "Is cosmetic, true/false".

I don't suppose it would be as simple as adding that line to weapon mods that lack that line, would it?

EDIT: Okay, scratch that question, got it answered, but now I'm trying to use the WSR, and can't figure out what it wants for the actual weapon template names. I've got the schematic templates successfully, but the template name for the actual weapons themselves eludes me. Gaurgh.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 10, 2020

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BlazetheInferno posted:

In regards to weapons with different stats from the base, I know some weapon-adding mods have a .ini option that's literally "Is cosmetic, true/false".

I don't suppose it would be as simple as adding that line to weapon mods that lack that line, would it?

EDIT: Okay, scratch that question, got it answered, but now I'm trying to use the WSR, and can't figure out what it wants for the actual weapon template names. I've got the schematic templates successfully, but the template name for the actual weapons themselves eludes me. Gaurgh.

Depends on the weapons you're using, but I generally like poking around in the localisation files for those names because the names you should be using are very easily in square brackets, and the text is obviously the in game name/text, so you have a cross-reference.

XcomGame.int is the file with english text.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 10, 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torchlighter posted:

Depends on the weapons you're using, but I generally like poking around in the localisation files for those names because the names you should be using are very easily in square brackets, and the text is obviously the in game name/text, so you have a cross-reference.

XcomGame.int is the file with english text.

That did it, thanks a bunch!

EDIT: Hah, both Jade Star and Guavamoment showed up in my initial recruit pool, and I just so happened to spot them chatting together at the bar after my first non-Gatecrasher mission. How fitting. :)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 10, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hello again thread just dropping in again to say that I still very much want XCOM 3, and also the number one thing I want from an XCOM 3 is more voices in different languages and an option to make characters have those voices (as appropriate) by default.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Chairchucker posted:

Hello again thread just dropping in again to say that I still very much want XCOM 3, and also the number one thing I want from an XCOM 3 is more voices in different languages and an option to make characters have those voices (as appropriate) by default.

As someone who helped with the international voice pack mod, I agree.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Isn't there the nationalites button in the XCOM 2 menu? Obviously not great for mod voicepacks.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Torchlighter posted:

Isn't there the nationalites button in the XCOM 2 menu? Obviously not great for mod voicepacks.

I don't know I'm looking that up now

EDIT: by which I mean opening the game and trying it

EDIT: lol yeah there is I never looked oh well

EDIT: oi what's this about a voice mod pack

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I maintain my stance that having voices with different accents would make more sense than your squad prattling away in six different languages

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The soldier languages are just a result of Firaxis taking something they had anyway (soldier voice-work for each language the game was localized into) and making it available for selection regardless of which language you play the game in. If not for that we wouldn't have different languages at all to begin with (like XCOM:EU initially before Firaxis discovered people were modding the game to unlock the localization and decided to make it the default).

It would be neat to have even more languages, sure. But I doubt Firaxis is at the point where they'd see the value it adds as justifying extra voice recording beyond just what is needed for localization.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Even more languages and even more accents please. Also maybe the more rambunctious soldier personalities should do stuff like loud cowboy yee-haws and such when they get a crit.

Edit- and fist pumping. All of my soldiers should be fist pumping when they cut a sectoid up or blow up a truck full of snakemenladies.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

reignofevil posted:

Even more languages and even more accents please. Also maybe the more rambunctious soldier personalities should do stuff like loud cowboy yee-haws and such when they get a crit.

Edit- and fist pumping. All of my soldiers should be fist pumping when they cut a sectoid up or blow up a truck full of snakemenladies.

I tend to wind up with a "Bash & Smash" duo that is my big grenadier and my best ranger that work together to delete packs -- I want these soldiers to have a "Bash Bros" style friendship, complete with the forearm bump

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Slashrat posted:

The soldier languages are just a result of Firaxis taking something they had anyway (soldier voice-work for each language the game was localized into) and making it available for selection regardless of which language you play the game in. If not for that we wouldn't have different languages at all to begin with (like XCOM:EU initially before Firaxis discovered people were modding the game to unlock the localization and decided to make it the default).

It would be neat to have even more languages, sure. But I doubt Firaxis is at the point where they'd see the value it adds as justifying extra voice recording beyond just what is needed for localization.

It'd be a bunch of extra work, but I'd love to see personality changes as soldiers get experience; like a rookie starts out all crisp and "ooh-rah" and by the time they hit Colonel, they're more jaded and "let's get it done".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

plainswalker75 posted:

It'd be a bunch of extra work, but I'd love to see personality changes as soldiers get experience; like a rookie starts out all crisp and "ooh-rah" and by the time they hit Colonel, they're more jaded and "let's get it done".

Unless they never take damage, in which case they're still all crisp and ooh-rah and having a great time :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Speaking of, what are the best close to vanilla voice packs?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Regarding WSR mod

If you don't know a template name then WSR can generate a log file of every template name for you. But you have to enable this in the config

I'd explain this better but I'm phone posting and about to go to sleep

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Moola posted:

Regarding WSR mod

If you don't know a template name then WSR can generate a log file of every template name for you. But you have to enable this in the config

I'd explain this better but I'm phone posting and about to go to sleep

It says how to do this in the config file you have to edit to get wsr to do anything, tbh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rolling assassin for your first chosen is just a fuckin meat grinder

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Gyshall posted:

Speaking of, what are the best close to vanilla voice packs?

the dirty bomb voice packs have that happy-go-luck let's murder some fuckers vibe

they're pretty much free of mil-wank too.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One thing people rarely talk about is that the assassin AI seems pretty inclined toward opening with a massive strike out of nowhere, then following up with her AOE stun attack, but for the turn after that she likes to throw a basically worthless 'blinding' grenade that really doesn't do much. Your odds of shooting her don't go down or anything your soldiers just have to get closer, really it is more a detriment to your ability to see the map when focused on the blind soldier than it is any problem to fight her. Often this has been the crucial break in her routine of violence and mayhem that I'd need to finally shotgun her face off.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Assassin feels a lot more dangerous than she is (although they still are the most dangerous chosen). The opening attacks are very shock and awe, and there's not a lot you can do to avoid them, but as long as you consolidate and avoid pulling a pod at the same time they're not too dangerous.

Still a pita to have to deal with an injured soldier each time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

also campaign default assassin has bending reed or whatever which is really truly obnoxious

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

also campaign default assassin has bending reed or whatever which is really truly obnoxious

And immunity to overwatch, so you can't even chip at her when she rushes you out of invisibility.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Even the not default ones I've played almost always have both of those every time

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I think bending reed is just one of her normal abilities? Otherwise she’d just stand there after shanking people.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tom Tucker posted:

I think bending reed is just one of her normal abilities? Otherwise she’d just stand there after shanking people.

Correct, Bending Reed is simply one of her normal abilities, though the immunity to Overwatch is a randomized strength, though she is *guaranteed* to have it in Lost & Abandoned.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I maintain the worst starting Assassin has Regeneration and Kinetic Plating - she's just absolutely brutal at the higher difficulties because she just will not go down. Late game you have the accuracy and damage to deliver an alphastrike, but early on it's just an absolute meat grinder.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What is the best way to play Xcom2 for the first time regarding all the DLC? Turn it all on, enable Integrate DLC, and delete Alien Rulers? I remember hearing a lot of hate on Alien Rulers a long time ago, but maybe it got better?

Any lightweight mods recommended for a first play through? I played 200+ hours of Xcom1.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Turning off "Integrate DLC" but leaving the individual packs enabled is the way to go. Integrating disables the two DLC story missions, which are pretty good, and unceremoniously dumps their other content in your research queue.

Alien Rulers isn't bad but the rulers are meant to be like super boss enemies that'll mess you up if you don't know exactly what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I fear Shen's Last Gift doesn't play nice with the fatigue mechanic. Sure, two of the characters with it don't really interact with it in two different ways, but that's only part of the party. You'll get combat phobias out the rear end on most of your team if you do SLG. Which is a shame, it's a great mission.