Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Unkempt posted:

Suck it, chocolate orangailures

What happened to Revolutionary Clinics I, Inc :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What happened to Revolutionary Clinics I, Inc :tinfoil:

CIA, obv.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Whoever wrote that recipe wants shooting, imo.
The Minarchist's Cookbook

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

Congrats on your good steak taste at least, yeah filet is a waste of money IMO. I never bother with anything other than rump steak, even sirloin is... dubiously worthwhile imo. Filet seems to be mostly for people who can't cook and try to cremate everything. And yeah, no fat, so you can't do a nice batch of mushrooms or whatever with it.

Whoever wrote that recipe wants shooting, imo.

Fillet is great for a Beef Wellington, but that's about it. Properly cooked sirloin is a hard to beat for a good steak.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Next week we ask: Karl Marx is buried in Highgate cemetery - is this a communist plot?

you gotta pay 5 quid to see his grave

now that's capitalism

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I hate recipes that are all "oh 1 tsp fish paste, 1/2 tin of coconut cream, 3 things lemongrass, half a bunch of coriander"

like most people don't have all this poo poo lying around and I don't want to open a tin of something just to use half of it. be sensible

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
£27 for half a kilo of fillet is like £7 too much, too

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

MikeCrotch posted:

I hate recipes that are all "oh 1 tsp fish paste, 1/2 tin of coconut cream, 3 things lemongrass, half a bunch of coriander"

like most people don't have all this poo poo lying around and I don't want to open a tin of something just to use half of it. be sensible

Ehh, it's not so bad, those are all things you can get in shops. It's the "one stick of celery" thing that gets me, cos you can only buy celery in bunches and then you have a bunch of celery minus one stick in your fridge till it goes all soft and spooky and you have to throw it away. A friend of mine bought guinea pigs just to solve this problem.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MikeCrotch posted:

A former boyfriend insisted he was going to cook for me which involved buying all the ingredients. I said to him "don't assume I have anything". He trotted off to Sainsburys and came back with bulging carrier bags. 10 minutes later, a wail from the kitchen "Where's your oil?" I did tell him not to assume I have anything.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Isomermaid posted:

Ehh, it's not so bad, those are all things you can get in shops. It's the "one stick of celery" thing that gets me, cos you can only buy celery in bunches and then you have a bunch of celery minus one stick in your fridge till it goes all soft and spooky and you have to throw it away. A friend of mine bought guinea pigs just to solve this problem.
Easy solution is just don't use celery in anything because it's a worthless plant unfit for consumption.

Or if you absolutely must, you can easily use the other sticks in a million different stews, soups and sauces to fill them out a bit and add some crunch, just as long as they have a strong enough flavour to hide the disgusting celery taste. Let's not even get started on celeriac, the knobbly turnip that tastes like a dustbin.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Make twice as much and freeze some imo

Also yeah celery is good in mirepoix or you can buy a rotisserie chicken for dinner one night then make stock and freeze that :chef:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

Easy solution is just don't use celery in anything because it's a worthless plant unfit for consumption.

:yeah:

Proof of a malicious creator, IMO. A poo poo onion that stays rock hard whatever you do it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to start fermenting some vegetables, because I always have some left over cooking for two and it seems like a waste to compost or worse bin them. Also because it seems more interesting than making full batches and freezing half, even if 'interesting' just means 'what your great grandma did before freezers'.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Cross postin'

I'm not leaving the house tomorrow

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
actually Blue was formed in 2000

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cross postin'

My Italian friend is in Lombardy staying with her elderly mother and her husband was due to have an operation today and is immuno-compromised.
My other friend who is married to an Italian lives in Tuscany.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Just spent three hours cleaning and sanitising every surface in the house. Not because of the 'rona, because my cleaner is coming in tomorrow.

(Yes, I pay a nice lady to come in for a couple of hours every fortnight and 'clean', purely so I get that spike of 'oh god I don't want her to think I'm a disgusting slob' to motivate myself. This is both the most British and most bougie thing about me.)

Fake Edit: Goddamn, look at the Etymology on that.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I for one eagerly embrace the coronavirus killing all the old racist gammon tories lmao

I might die in the process but that on balance would be acceptable imo

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

mehall posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of that.

The method I heard recently to teach people if it's the flu is this -

Imagine someone text you right now and said they'd left £50 in an envelope for you on your front step.
If you don't go right now, someone else will probably find it.

If you don't have the energy to get up for the money, it's the flu.

For real. I had proper flu once and it was poo poo. If you don't feel like you've been hit by a truck (and I mean, literally - all of your muscles, joints and bones ache and you have zero energy at all) then it's probably not the flu.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Yeah I'm immunocompromised, violently allergic to most antibiotics and my lungs have felt like I've been inhaling chlorinated air for a couple of days, so something's down there. It's probably not Corona, but it's never far from my mind that this might be something my body can't fight off if I get it. My parents are in a dangerous age with pre-existing conditions and I wonder if I'll get to see them.

I feel like there was a time a couple of years ago I'd have thought about chickens coming home to roost for the bitter gammons but somehow it feels real to me now in a way it didn't before and lord knows I've shitposted in this very thread about Coronavirus because what the gently caress can any of us really *do*, but selfish self-preservation has started to kick in and make me just feel really sad about the whole thing.

It feels good to be right but not so good I'm happy about anyone who's wrong dying. Feels like I could've done a better job convincing them than hoping the tidal wave that hits me, hits them first.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Isomermaid posted:

Yeah I'm immunocompromised, violently allergic to most antibiotics and my lungs have felt like I've been inhaling chlorinated air for a couple of days, so something's down there. It's probably not Corona, but it's never far from my mind that this might be something my body can't fight off if I get it. My parents are in a dangerous age with pre-existing conditions and I wonder if I'll get to see them.

I feel like there was a time a couple of years ago I'd have thought about chickens coming home to roost for the bitter gammons but somehow it feels real to me now in a way it didn't before and lord knows I've shitposted in this very thread about Coronavirus because what the gently caress can any of us really *do*, but selfish self-preservation has started to kick in and make me just feel really sad about the whole thing.

It feels good to be right but not so good I'm happy about anyone who's wrong dying. Feels like I could've done a better job convincing them than hoping the tidal wave that hits me, hits them first.

A disease is not a lesson in morality.

You couldn't have convinced all of them, and probably not enough to make any difference.

Sometimes life just sucks and the lesson is "sometimes life just sucks".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

Hope you don't catch it Iso :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just hope as few of the decent folk catch it as possible and enough of the bastards go that we can maybe get to stopping it from happening again, nothing I can do if they can't be convinced that society needs to work to keep us all safe.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
i'm currently getting called a mug by limmy live on stream, what a life

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

WhatEvil posted:

For real. I had proper flu once and it was poo poo. If you don't feel like you've been hit by a truck (and I mean, literally - all of your muscles, joints and bones ache and you have zero energy at all) then it's probably not the flu.

I remember in Year 5 the Head telling some kid with really quite cruel scorn that they were not off school the day before because of the flu because the flu would not keep you away for one day and see you fairly healthy on either side of it.

I mean, he was right, but the kid was ten, there was no need to be a twat to a ten year old about it in front of the rest of us when they were definitely just repeating what their mum had said or whatever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

When the New York Times calls your country out for being too terfy :discourse:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/opinion/britain-transphobia-labour-party.html

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Isomermaid posted:

Does your friend eat the guinea pigs to ensure maximum food efficiency?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My Italian friend is in Lombardy staying with her elderly mother and her husband was due to have an operation today and is immuno-compromised.
My other friend who is married to an Italian lives in Tuscany.

Aren't you due to visit london in a few days? If I were in your shoes I'd be cancelling the gently caress out of that

Edit: a scary read https://threader.app/thread/1237142891077697538

(by the way I seriously feel like i might have suddenly become one of those doomsday nutters who thinks he can see things other people aren't seeing, prepping and not sleeping and watching the news constantly like an madman, and hanging on to every unverified twitter story. Have I gone mad? Maybe I've gone mad. But this poo poo seriously has me thinking we're about to go through an unprecedented national disaster that will change life forever, and it seems like barely anyone is noticing or caring)

quote:

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:
1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.

2/ First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick
2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.
4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.

13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 10, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Isomermaid posted:

They definitely solve the problem, but the little fuckers are so ravenous I often accidentally feed them veg that was supposed to be ingredients for a meal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

I'm going to start fermenting some vegetables, because I always have some left over cooking for two and it seems like a waste to compost or worse bin them. Also because it seems more interesting than making full batches and freezing half, even if 'interesting' just means 'what your great grandma did before freezers'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPvLA-egmWA

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

I recently made four jars worth of piccalilli that I'm scared to eat incase I've done something wrong, still, they have been in the fridge for 5 weeks now and there is no mould so that's a good sign right?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I bought some in Boots last year, I still have some in the fridge. It's only very recently they seem to have stopped making it, which is piss because it's far better than immodium or anything else for stomach upsets.

I suffer with IBS issues (and most likely diverticulitis thanks family!) and this stuff is amazing but you definitely can't get it anymore. It's a shame.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I have a tiny, tiny cough which started a little bit last night and has continued this morning.

I've just emailed my therapist to see if she'd prefer I cancel, and I'm probably going to do the same with work and (very grudgingly) the friends who are supposed to be visiting tonight.

I suspect it's just dust from where I was baking the cake last night, but goddammit.

Hey if I'm ill at least I won't need to go into London next week :unsmith:

It doesn't help that literally every post I've seen on FB this morning from my friends is about some form of pain or illness, including from at least one person I've been within two feet of in the past two weeks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I hope I don't get the coronavirus because I've already had one really bad 2 week long flu this year and I can't be bothered to feel like poo poo again so soon.

Lungboy posted:

Fillet is great for a Beef Wellington, but that's about it. Properly cooked sirloin is a hard to beat for a good steak.

Nahhhh ribeye is the best cut for a steak, no comparison.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

SpicePro posted:

I recently made four jars worth of piccalilli that I'm scared to eat incase I've done something wrong, still, they have been in the fridge for 5 weeks now and there is no mould so that's a good sign right?
more like Spice Amateur, amirite

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

thespaceinvader posted:

I have a tiny, tiny cough which started a little bit last night and has continued this morning.

I've just emailed my therapist to see if she'd prefer I cancel, and I'm probably going to do the same with work and (very grudgingly) the friends who are supposed to be visiting tonight.

I suspect it's just dust from where I was baking the cake last night, but goddammit.

Hey if I'm ill at least I won't need to go into London next week :unsmith:

It doesn't help that literally every post I've seen on FB this morning from my friends is about some form of pain or illness, including from at least one person I've been within two feet of in the past two weeks.

Given all of that unless your FB friends have been travelling or otherwise in a area where there have been cases you will almost certainly have a regular cough.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Comrade Fakename posted:

I said it last year back when you first threatened to do a Toby Young episode on the podcast.

Rob keeps threatening to do a phrenology episode which might as well be the same thing, come on that one.

Pilchenstein posted:

We should do an ep about royal nonces tbh

Just one extended tone, sounds pretty easy to edit, let’s go for it

Isomermaid posted:

Spooky scary celery

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

SpicePro posted:

I make pickles already and I want to start fermenting but I want someone who knows their stuff to show me how to do it 1st. That said, if it looks ok, smells ok and tastes like you'd expect it to, it's probably fine.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I make a lot of pickled cucumber kimchi. It's hard to gently caress it up honestly. I've yet to make pickled korean Radish that didn't make my entire fridge smell like farts after a week. Delicious though. Just a bit farty.

Also chiming in: Ribeye best steak cut for steak. I also grind it to make pretty much the best burgers I've ever had. I might be a monster for doing that but I've not had as good results with any other cut and it's still wayyyyy cheaper than buying a burger anywhere out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the kind of thing I want to do. Or sauerkraut or fermented asparagus.

Not to be confused with giardia, which is a good reason to have J. Collis Browne's mixture.

Flipswitch posted:

I suffer with IBS issues (and most likely diverticulitis thanks family!) and this stuff is amazing but you definitely can't get it anymore. It's a shame.
:( I guess I'm going to have to do what the good doctor Browne himself would have done and poo poo my pant boil a bunch of poppies in vodka and limewater next time I have the bad gut.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I make pickles already and I want to start fermenting but I want someone who knows their stuff to show me how to do it 1st. That said, if it looks ok, smells ok and tastes like you'd expect it to, it's probably fine.
The hardest part of lactofermentation seems to be keeping everything under the level of the brine so it doesn't just go moldy.