Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Titanic posted:

I hope you are ok!

^^^This!

Time_pants posted:

Weeks, not months.

I sure hope Chris hasn’t tied up a lot of his newfound wealth in speculative ventures and longshot startups. If ever a guy deserved to walk away from all this fat with cash and adulation, it’s him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

I sure hope Chris hasn’t tied up a lot of his newfound wealth in speculative ventures and longshot startups. If ever a guy deserved to walk away from all this fat with cash and adulation, it’s him.

Settle for a family trust to the tune of five mill? That’s retirin’ money as long as the kids stay on side.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

lol the guys who put 5 figures in this think it's going to be like the Matrix and they're Neo, or some such poo poo with Star Wars or some other thing

it's all pretty wild

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheAgent posted:

btw just lol at call of duty adding crossplay and 150 player maps with combined arms before star citizen can even get 50 players working correctly

It’s not fair because they didn’t have to build a company or 3 companies from the ground up.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

You know it never really occurred to me that their alpha versions are numbered above 1.0 already.

This would work in their favor when they realize Star Citizen is officially realized and has been for a long time and Chris Roberts' vision has been fully realized.

It will be the "surprise we're actually done!" version.

This is totally open development.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

h3isenbug posted:

Honest question to the developers / development-leads spreading FUD around here: Given everybody was happy with the current "game mechanics" / "feature set" and they would impose a complete feature freeze tomorrow: How long would it take them to iron out the existing bugs and get everything stable enough to be green-lighted for a triple A or console release? Even with a conservative estimate I'd guess at least 8 - 12 months... if everything can be resolved perfectly in the first iteration. That hardly happens in the real world, but you're innocent when you dream

Depends on if you mean "works by not crashing" or "everything we have now is flushed out and is a game".

This is probably at least a full year, if they stopped everything today, just to get it stable.

You're looking at another several years to flesh this thing out into a game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

This feeds into my theory that Theaters of War is CIGs attempt at pulling a Fortnite where a side gamemode takes off and everyone forgets about the original game concept. But when Theaters of War failed to catch anyones interest they gave up on it and it'll never see the light of day.

This is the patented Chris Roberts' unjustifiably inflated ego hard at work.

Everything every company has done is "simple" and he can do it "better" just by thinking it.

Only rockstar has his respect, and even then he views them as his equals instead of a development studio that could run literal rings around his candy cane house of lies and high school-tier coders.

He sees fortnight, and to his eyes it must seem like child's play compared to the neural network galactic trading system he developed in his mind.

He's got this mystifying "if I can think of it, I have already done it better than anybody!" despite never actually building these things in his minds eye. It's a fun problem because it's prevent his entire team from ever fully completing anything really. I'm not sure there's any part of the game that is perfectly working.

And so he sees fortnight and thinks to himself "I can do that... only better!" and the result is not only not better, but genuinely terrible. He'll never notice that it's terrible, disliked, and nonfunctional at every level. Only that he sees himself as better and smarter than Epic and more capable than their development studio. :shrug:

There was a concept he said or wrote, I think, a long time ago that summed up how he views things nicely. It was something along the lines of how his ideas are very hard to think of, and it's basically trivial to just layer code on top of them to get it working.

Like no middle school kid ever had the idea of "it's like world war 2 but in space... and you can do anything in it... and you can have like a billion players all fighting each other!" and they even drew up the world maps and technical thoughts like "just use a lot more servers and they mesh!" Like stringing a million fortnight servers together just works because of computer magic.

Star Citizen is literally that middle school kids' wet dream except instead of learning about project management and what actually goes into building software, much led video game software, they just got infinite money to go live their dream life and build an impossible game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Jawohl, mein schiff!

:sureboat:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its pretty loving wild how current tech solved fuel transfers between two containers with hoses but star citizen is dealing in poles with little to no flexibility.

Its as if some dipshit with no concept of how the real world operates was suddenly given millions of dollars to write the worst fanfic ever...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its pretty loving wild how current tech solved fuel transfers between two containers with hoses but star citizen is dealing in poles with little to no flexibility.

Its as if some dipshit with no concept of how the real world operates was suddenly given millions of dollars to write the worst fanfic ever...

Well, the other day my car ran out of gas so I had to go buy a $267,000 tanker truck (used, I like to save money) to refuel it. There is just no other way!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

don't speak ill of ben lesnick like that

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Why, do you think he will go septic?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

lobsterminator posted:

You just don't understand game development. If they flipped the switch then there would be too much game mechanics and players would be distracted and focusing on the wrong things. CIG needs to portion out the functionality so that new features (that come with different $700 ships) are tested properly.

Pffft. They are only at Switch V 0.67. They can't flip any switches until they are at V1.0, I thought everyone knew that.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

LOL I like the way "Dobranican" thinks Clive Johnson is "a community manager".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I do find it a little funny that a real live virus is going to be what finally kills this game.

Not the ending I was expecting!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Dude, that sucks. I hope you get better soon.

The LOLs from them dumping 4.0 and calling it a “release” would be endless, as the community would eat itself and then completely implode. Like they still aren’t even close to hitting the original promised content in 3.0 which was supposed to release at the end of 2016, and you still have Hobo Lando mugging it up at the camera and sheepishly calling this “early days”.

If that comes to pass I presume CIG would release it in Early Access form, so the community will still have that as an excuse. Much like they have "but it is alpha" now.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Any time a dev starts talking about hitting the e-sports market, I always roll my eyes so hard they pop out of my head and roll under the commode.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

trucutru posted:

Well, the other day my car ran out of gas so I had to go buy a $267,000 tanker truck (used, I like to save money) to refuel it. There is just no other way!

Just wait until a part breaks and you have to go mine iron ore to make a replacement !

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

colonelwest posted:

Dude, that sucks. I hope you get better soon.

The LOLs from them dumping 4.0 and calling it a “release” would be endless, as the community would eat itself and then completely implode. Like they still aren’t even close to hitting the original promised content in 3.0 which was supposed to release at the end of 2016, and you still have Hobo Lando mugging it up at the camera and sheepishly calling this “early days”.

After 8 years and 350 million , SC goes from pre aplha to finished product in one day!!

Never been done before but CR is just that good only he could pull this off!!

That final epic patch just blew everyone away...

a game with so much emotion, grown men are openly weeping!

The glorious day where the fear uncertainty and doubt Will finally be cast aside and the glory revealed.

I already have my meta critic review written :

SC:. It really is AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa !

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

So, anyone think CI!G wil be able to poo poo out a MVP before Frontier release the first of their officially licensed F1 managament games in 2022?

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/uk/frontier_developments_plc/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=1725&newsid=1377661

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mu77ley posted:

So, anyone think CI!G wil be able to poo poo out a MVP before Frontier release the first of their officially licensed F1 managament games in 2022?
If the MVP is something different from what they've been putting out since I've been following this mess no.

It also won't stop by then either. Progress is ships, ships are sales, sales are good, progress is good.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mu77ley posted:

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/uk/frontier_developments_plc/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=1725&newsid=1377661

Holy poo poo, if we compare both companies as a whole ie both around the 500 employee mark by now etc and we look at the delivery / output the contrast is just brutal. I may not like much Frontier games but holy poo poo those guys actually do work.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not possible to fix this for a console release, because those have standards that have to be passed, (...)

Counterpoint: Wander, Orc slayer, Horse racing 2016, Life of black tiger and many others.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mu77ley posted:

Well, that news certainly deserves a little....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBYHwH1Vb-c&t=215s

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

the gently caress is a hog roast
?? Some kind of euroshit hotdogs or something?? The gently caress

Hog roast sounds like something straight out of the end of an Asterix comic.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Only Roberts can align poles.

For some odd reason he struggles with Lithuanians though.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bofast posted:

Hog roast sounds like something straight out of the end of an Asterix comic.

If only they'd hogtie and gag Crobberts like Cacofonix, maybe poo poo would get done.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit::
Claiming that Chris Roberts is a fraud, CIG is a money laundering front and Star Citizen is a scam is defamation. No question. There is nobody here that thinks that what you are doing is not that. I don't even think you actually believe that. You just somehow think that it's legal to say whatever on the internet. While the simple truth is that nobody has held you accountable for it. Yet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Good god, is Ortwin firing up 100,000 defamation letters?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm fairly certain threatening people with legal action under false pretense is illegal.... and trespass to feels is not.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SoftNum posted:

I'm fairly certain threatening people with legal action under false pretense is illegal.... and trespass to feels is not.

Going to assume the only thing threatened is a bag of Doritos.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

h3isenbug posted:

Honest question to the developers / development-leads spreading FUD around here: Given everybody was happy with the current "game mechanics" / "feature set" and they would impose a complete feature freeze tomorrow: How long would it take them to iron out the existing bugs and get everything stable enough to be green-lighted for a triple A or console release? Even with a conservative estimate I'd guess at least 8 - 12 months... if everything can be resolved perfectly in the first iteration. That hardly happens in the real world, but you're innocent when you dream

They can't because they don't know how they fixed previous bugs, there are videos made by them talking how some bugs were unintentionally fixed in later updates without any knowledge of how or why.

If this game were outsourced to a competent development team, they could fix about 90% of it in 9-12 months assuming stuff is documented in the code. But then why bother? whats currently in the game outside of graphics could be made in a day by people during their lunch break.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not fair because they didn’t have to build a company or 3 20 companies from the ground up.

Agreed

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Dementropy posted:

Claiming that Chris Roberts is a fraud, CIG is a money laundering front and Star Citizen is a scam is defamation. No question. There is nobody here that thinks that what you are doing is not that. I don't even think you actually believe that. You just somehow think that it's legal to say whatever on the internet. While the simple truth is that nobody has held you accountable for it. Yet.
saying any of that isn't libelous and would be impossible to prove in court (for CIG). and yeah you can say just about whatever you want on the internet like "I think Chris Roberts is a dumb fuckhead" and not get in trouble for it because lol

now if a news network published a piece using fake information they knew at the time to be wrong, just to get Chris Roberts in trouble or to hurt him personally or financially, that would be something they can chase

once again Citizens have no loving idea how the real world works and are probably too loving old and stupid to learn

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dementropy posted:

Toejam is still ranting?

Hi Toejam! :wave:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
ortwin pls don't sue me :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheAgent posted:

ortwin pls don't sue me :(

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stingtwo posted:

assuming stuff is documented in the code.

That's a mighty big assumption.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GyverMac posted:

If only they'd hogtie and gag Crobberts like Cacofonix, maybe poo poo would get done.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:reddit: posted:

Some of ya'll might be wondering how big backers spend their money, or may be big backers themselves. Here's a breakdown of a 'Space Marshall ($5000+)' Backer.

I have over $10k invested in this game. I allow myself $5000 of "stupid bullshit purchases" from each of my deployments.

I'm deploying next year and looking forward to buying yet another 5 grand-worth of fake spaceships.

You are still just one person though. XD

How will you have time to use even a fraction of your ships properly?

You are still just one person though. XD

How will you have time to use even a fraction of your ships properly?

C&C interfaces and hiring NPC and Player crews. Having an industry at hand can easily get a handful or org mates to occupy your ships, say you want to explore or cover medical detail of a fight, you have the resources to use a large amount of ships at once.

Good luck with that lol

We really don't know the extent of C&C capabilities and gameplay. Seeing the cartography room on the Carrack definitely gives me hope that that is the type of room select players would prefer to be their perspective of the game.

that's the point, dude...

marumaru fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 10, 2020