Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elysium posted:

Is there an Alexa command that will reset my Hue lights back to whatever they were before the previous command? For example, after a routine which dims several lights and changes color temp to watch a movie, I would like it to go back to what it was before, which may or may not have been all on or all off or whatever. I could make several custom routines for various common configurations, but what if I could just go back to how it was?

I don’t believe so, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Wyze just dropped a roadmap of additional connected devices, including an outdoor camera and smart lock :woop: https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/wyze-product-updates-02-17-2020/89116

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hello thread. I would like to install a camera at our entrance. Nothing fancy. I believe all these need nowadays is electricity and they'll broadcast an image that you may receive via WLAN, possibly on your phone. This would probably be the preferred method as we already have power outside and I'd like to avoid drilling new holes. There are cheap cameras on Amazon starting at 40$ with good ratings that go up to 150$ and more. Should I get one of the more expensive models? Is there anything to look out for or to avoid? Like, are there brands with particular bad software solutions (phone apps) or something? Something with night-vision would be great. I hope this is the right thread for this question. Thank you.

e: One more question, since I know nothing about this: Is it even practical to switch to the app once you hear the doorbell and check who is there? Things would need to be pretty responsive and reliable. So better have a small dedicated PC with a screen somewhere in the hallway or something? I guess that would take too much space and effort.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 19, 2020

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello thread. I would like to install a camera at our entrance. Nothing fancy. I believe all these need nowadays is electricity and they'll broadcast an image that you may receive via WLAN, possibly on your phone. This would probably be the preferred method as we already have power outside and I'd like to avoid drilling new holes. There are cheap cameras on Amazon starting at 40$ with good ratings that go up to 150$ and more. Should I get one of the more expensive models? Is there anything to look out for or to avoid? Like, are there brands with particular bad software solutions (phone apps) or something? Something with night-vision would be great. I hope this is the right thread for this question. Thank you.

e: One more question, since I know nothing about this: Is it even practical to switch to the app once you hear the doorbell and check who is there? Things would need to be pretty responsive and reliable. So better have a small PC with a screen somewhere in the house or something? I guess that would take too much space and effort.

With my Nest Hello it takes maybe 15 seconds between hearing doorbell, me clicking notification on my phone, and seeing video.

With the Google Nest Hub (or Nest Hub Max) it shows on that screen automatically when someone rings doorbell.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 19, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
well, the Logi Circle 2 wired window camera I got in late December crapped out a few days ago with the yellow blinking light of death. Completely unresponsive to resets. :smith:

It worked really well for almost 6 weeks! :argh:

The Eve Door sensors are still working perfectly so far.........

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Keyser_Soze posted:

well, the Logi Circle 2 wired window camera I got in late December crapped out a few days ago with the yellow blinking light of death. Completely unresponsive to resets. :smith:

It worked really well for almost 6 weeks! :argh:

The Eve Door sensors are still working perfectly so far.........

Logitech support for things like mice and keyboards were always excellent when things pooped out so definitely make a warranty claim.

I have a couple circle 2s and need to get the firmware changed back to the non homekit one because the homekit secure video thing kinda sucks.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

priznat posted:

Logitech support for things like mice and keyboards were always excellent when things pooped out so definitely make a warranty claim.

I have a couple circle 2s and need to get the firmware changed back to the non homekit one because the homekit secure video thing kinda sucks.

Logitech chat just pointed me to call in to their warranty center and file a claim, but since I bought it from Apple went there next and (and despite being over 30 days) I did the chat for the return and then it was escalated and someone from Austin called me about 5 minutes later to approve the return.

I think there is a reason these Logi2's all are gone and out of production now. Meh. It really worked great for that 6 weeks, no idea what to get now, the Homekit integration was perfect for me, although yeah, the camera view sucks and it's better to just go into the Logi app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

Logitech chat just pointed me to call in to their warranty center and file a claim, but since I bought it from Apple went there next and (and despite being over 30 days) I did the chat for the return and then it was escalated and someone from Austin called me about 5 minutes later to approve the return.

I think there is a reason these Logi2's all are gone and out of production now. Meh. It really worked great for that 6 weeks, no idea what to get now, the Homekit integration was perfect for me, although yeah, the camera view sucks and it's better to just go into the Logi app.

If you could set the area that would trigger the motion alerts in homekit secure video it would be good but I just kept constantly getting alerts whenever a truck drives down my street. Also homekit saved video is slow as hell and the logitech day recap is nice. I hope apple updates their homekit video stuff because it’s very threadbare now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone have any recommendations for a hideable indoor camera that I can pipe into blue iris? We're going to be having service people of various sorts in and out of our place for a few weeks and I want to keep a surreptitious eye on them.

There's so many results on Amazon and elsewhere and most of them seem kinda sketchy.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

priznat posted:

If you could set the area that would trigger the motion alerts in homekit secure video it would be good but I just kept constantly getting alerts whenever a truck drives down my street. Also homekit saved video is slow as hell and the logitech day recap is nice. I hope apple updates their homekit video stuff because it’s very threadbare now.

I used the Logi2 window mount which was perfect for my front door view (from the side window) but yeah, it caught every RV/UPS truck taller than my front patio fence and any plants moving from the wind. It was really good capturing anyone walking up to the door very quickly and it only notified me if it detected a person per the options on the Logi app. It seemed to me that you had to pay Logitech the $9.99/month for Circle Safe to define the target area to capture incidents for everything.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 20, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

I used the window mount which was perfect for my front door view (from the side window) but yeah, it caught every RV/UPS truck taller than my front patio fence, but it was really good capturing anyone walking up to the door very quickly. It seemed to me that you had to pay Logitech the $9.99/month for Circle Safe to define the target area to not fire off notes for everything.

This is true, that was a paid feature. With the homekit secure video you can get a free single cam when you have the lowest icloud storage plan which I was getting anyway and it doesn’t count against storage on there.

It does seem less good at capturing people though sometimes the recordings just show folks walking away. It can identify if a clip contains people/cars/animals or a mix of all 3 along with generic motion, which is neat.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

priznat posted:

This is true, that was a paid feature. With the homekit secure video you can get a free single cam when you have the lowest icloud storage plan which I was getting anyway and it doesn’t count against storage on there.

It does seem less good at capturing people though sometimes the recordings just show folks walking away. It can identify if a clip contains people/cars/animals or a mix of all 3 along with generic motion, which is neat.

Yeah, I guess there was a second or two delay, that's where having it on the window facing sideways It would always get them, usually the UPS guy turning around facing right at the camera. Even though the window mount had some goofy telescoping going on at the edges it, especially with double pane windows, it was very clear in the center. I was okay using Homekit for a quick view of the door sensors/camera and the one LIFX light I have as well, but obviously not ideal.

Hopefully Logitech will come out with another Circle 2 that doesn't fail so often. Like I said you can't even buy them anymore (at least the wired version). They only other choice for a potential window mount/Homekit compatible camera appears to be a Arlo BABBY.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So last night one of our smart bulbs crapped out and made me think...

We use the Hive system (Wife works for the business and got it free) and have had it for a couple years now, but the thing is the bulbs are quite pricey and of course don't last forever. Has there ever been a product out there basically acting as a bridge between a light socket and a bulb? like you'd screw a dongle in the socket and pair it up, then plop in whatever bulb you want and replace as necessary?

I know stuff like the LightWave system exists where you basically have wireless controlled wall switches which is cool, but i'm not on the lookout to buy a whole new system just yet for the sake of getting the lights to turn themselves off at bedtime and other goofy stuff.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

So last night one of our smart bulbs crapped out and made me think...

We use the Hive system (Wife works for the business and got it free) and have had it for a couple years now, but the thing is the bulbs are quite pricey and of course don't last forever. Has there ever been a product out there basically acting as a bridge between a light socket and a bulb? like you'd screw a dongle in the socket and pair it up, then plop in whatever bulb you want and replace as necessary?

I know stuff like the LightWave system exists where you basically have wireless controlled wall switches which is cool, but i'm not on the lookout to buy a whole new system just yet for the sake of getting the lights to turn themselves off at bedtime and other goofy stuff.

You're looking for a "Smart lamp socket", or "smart bulb socket".

Be careful about which ones you get and the fixtures you're using them in, as they do add a few inches between the bulb and the socket.

Also, a lot of the cheap wifi models can probably be flashed with Tasmota, but there are only a couple listed on the Tasmota website, none of which look like they're currently available.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm starting to get into home automation because I found a bunch of super cheap smart plugs at an outlet/clearance store nearby.

Has anyone been able to set up Alexa to toggle a smart plug via a routine? Only options I see are on or off. Seems dumb to not support that.

And speaking of dumb unsupported stuff, I have two harmony hubs (one upstairs and one downstairs) but alexa can only control one, no matter that I have multiple echo devices.

I also got some echo wall clocks, a huge ripoff at $30 each but I got 3 for $10

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

I have two harmony hubs (one upstairs and one downstairs) but alexa can only control one, no matter that I have multiple echo devices.

Yes, this is a stupid thing on Google Assistant as well. It's a limitation on Logitech's end that you can get around (again, on Google devices) by creating a Google account for each Harmony Hub and linking those to your Google Home.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, this is a stupid thing on Google Assistant as well. It's a limitation on Logitech's end that you can get around (again, on Google devices) by creating a Google account for each Harmony Hub and linking those to your Google Home.

Yonomi solves this. I have two hubs. Yonomi allows macros from each to show as unique devices in my
Alexa app

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Alexa is great for cloud based security cam systems, but if you dislike those services and have a local NVR/DVR then this is pretty useful https://monoclecam.com/

You do have to create an account and store your local rtsp settings, which I dont think is that much of a security risk if you give it a specific username/password with only play permissions and not your DVR admin. Additionally they only get internal network settings so if your DVR is not open to the internet there's almost no risk of malicious behaviour, at least way less than putting your footage on the cloud.

With this skill set up you can tell alexa to show you any of your cameras, in an echo show or a firetv. Next I will try to see if I can get them to cycle via a routine.

Cornjob posted:

Yonomi solves this. I have two hubs. Yonomi allows macros from each to show as unique devices in my
Alexa app

Will try this tonight, thanks.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yonomi worked great, thanks!

I also set this up to control my PC https://www.wolskill.com/

Again, you're giving internal private network info to some service, but the real life risk is extremely minimal for this use case. Would be slightly less minimal for a laptop that you carry around, but still negligible imo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I've been thinking about potentially getting a smart thermostat recently. How good are they? Are they are really all that using on saving energy/money?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've been thinking about potentially getting a smart thermostat recently. How good are they? Are they are really all that using on saving energy/money?

Depends on alot of things. Whats is your home size/type? What type of heat/ac do you have?

The short answer is: theyre nice, and might save you money

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I have a one floor, three bedroom house. I like the idea of being to adjust things on your phone, and also have schedules so things turn off when I’m not there during the work day and turns on before I come home.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

I have a one floor, three bedroom house. I like the idea of being to adjust things on your phone, and also have schedules so things turn off when I’m not there during the work day and turns on before I come home.

I have a similar house.

Presence detection doesn't work in my home since the thermostat is in the hallway.

Turning heat or cool off doesn't work for me because it takes too long to get back to comfortable temperatures if I let it range meaningfully.

However, I get a ton of use out of using the schedule to cool it off at night and warm it up in the morning. I also appreciate being able to change it remotely. If that is your goal, and not saving money, then I think you'll be happy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FunOne posted:

Presence detection doesn't work in my home since the thermostat is in the hallway.

Ecobee with remote sensors.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My father in law is asking about the best option for cameras for crib monitors, I have the logi circle 2 but that seems like overkill. Any good suggestions? Are the Wyze ones decent?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hm, interesting. My thermostat is in the living room, so maybe it'll work better. My reasons for getting it definitely fall more into the fun conveniences rather than saving money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hm, interesting. My thermostat is in the living room, so maybe it'll work better. My reasons for getting it definitely fall more into the fun conveniences rather than saving money.

Then go for it, and check if your power company or whoever has discounts for buying one.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Ecobee with remote sensors.

It's real dumb that smart thermostats don't let you install some sort of base wherever the wiring is and then just have the control unit talk to the base via wifi so you can set it wherever you want, especially if they're gonna add stuff like motion sensing and Alexa.

(no I'm not mad that my thermostat is a stupid location and rewiring it is a pain in the rear end, why do you ask?)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

Then go for it, and check if your power company or whoever has discounts for buying one.
Sometimes these discounts require signing up for those programs where the energy company can override your thermostat during periods of high demand.

Probably not a big deal if you're not living somewhere that strains the grid seasonally (here in NE Ohio there's not even an optional program), but a Californian might want to look in to that.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's real dumb that smart thermostats don't let you install some sort of base wherever the wiring is and then just have the control unit talk to the base via wifi so you can set it wherever you want, especially if they're gonna add stuff like motion sensing and Alexa.
You've nailed one of my two main annoyances with my Nest, the other one being the lack of local API.

I mean you'd think that at the very least they could have provided an option to just buy multiple thermostats and link them together. Allow me to just stick one to the wall in my office to act as both a remote temp/presence sensor and a control interface.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

(no I'm not mad that my thermostat is a stupid location and rewiring it is a pain in the rear end, why do you ask?)

Install the ecobee app on some cheap 25 dollar tablet and put it in kiosk mode. This gets you what you want, no?

(though I agree that requiring the control module be where the thermostat wires are is less than optimal)

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

priznat posted:

My father in law is asking about the best option for cameras for crib monitors, I have the logi circle 2 but that seems like overkill. Any good suggestions? Are the Wyze ones decent?

I have wyze. They work pretty good for the money. Video is good, audio is crap for deciphering talking, but you can tell if a baby is crying, for sure. That said, a regular monitor is better, as has no lag, and good audio.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Anyone doing something cool with Home Assistant?

I installed it today on my pi4, replacing my pihole and using pihole as a HA addon, so far so good but now I'm not sure about what to do next.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Anyone doing something cool with Home Assistant?

I installed it today on my pi4, replacing my pihole and using pihole as a HA addon, so far so good but now I'm not sure about what to do next.

I set up the coronavirus sensor for shits and giggles and have it notify my phone when cases and deaths increases by X%. Since I also run the influxdb integration for other stuff I also graph the covid-19 stuff with grafana...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Since my last Logi Circle 2 wired died after 60 days I decided to get 2 more from an Ebay open box seller. So far so good after 5 days! :newlol:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Apart from using it to switch lights on and off I’m using mine to spy on my chickens using an esp32 camera board.

It’ll also be monitoring my smoker once the weather’s a bit better.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I set up the coronavirus sensor for shits and giggles and have it notify my phone when cases and deaths increases by X%. Since I also run the influxdb integration for other stuff I also graph the covid-19 stuff with grafana...

I've only recently got on Grafana & Influxdb. How have you added the second Y axis values on the right?
I've got a Room Temperatures graph, including a 'home average', but I'd like to plot/overlay when the boiler is heating or idle on it too, but haven't figured out how yet.

And on that, I've previously kept my home assistant pretty barebones regarding addons and hacks etc, until recently I've added Appdaemon and the HACS

And the appdaemon script Schedy has really help simplify the yaml needed to run my heating schedule, but made it more capable in the process.
Similarly https://github.com/danobot/entity-controller from the HACS has allowed me to remove of a load of 'on' and 'off' motion detection automations that control lights.

e: Found the right axis toggle. Now to figure out how to plot on/off.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 10, 2020

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Periodic remember that the threat is real:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-breach-fsb-contractor-and-leak-details-about-iot-hacking-project/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you're a sovereign nation who is NOT doing this kind of research you are probably doing it wrong.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are those things that you put on your door to let you know whenever it’s open?

What are those called?

I need those.

What are good ones of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've had the EVE door sensors on 2 doors going for a few months now, no issues.